Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well yeah, the new anime is coming up in the relatively near future, time to work through it now before the new season starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Kubo's a real job-creator.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Kubo's a real job-creator.

well yeah he invented chad

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

well yeah he invented chad

And Renji.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, buy a telescope. the joke is currently orbiting earth above you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's 2020 and the world still loves Bleach.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHan posted:

Tousen had two swords, or something to affect? It was never super clear but he did take his dead friend's sword and had two shikai. Mayuri also completely remade his bankai into a form 100% identical to its original after Uryuu exploded it and then later completely modified it into a new bankai in the Blood War.

Apparently Shunsui and Ukitake having two swords was a big deal, never-done-before.

I always liked Soi Fon's Shikai, but it was only ever used to show how good somebody else was. I'm convinced her Bankai was a Stinger missile joke.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently Shunsui and Ukitake having two swords was a big deal, never-done-before.

Shunsui's second sword was to hold Nanao's broken nonsense sword right? Ukitake's shikai being two swords I never got being a big deal. Byakuya's shikai turns his sword into 1000 tiny swords, that's way more impressive.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
One thing I always sort of forget about is how each character had little things that were unique about them. Like, each character had a unique sword with a unique hilt, they all had customized uniforms, etc. Kubo at least put a lot of effort into their designs if nothing else.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can fault Kubo for getting lazy about a lot of things as the series dragged on, but character design wasn't one of them.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah it was originally something fairly unique that they had two distinct swords even when in their unreleased state. But then it turned out Shunsui's second sword was actually Nanao's family sword or something, which you'd think Yamamoto would know, and we never got to see Ukitake do much of anything in a fight before he pointlessly killed himself.

Speaking of I still have no idea why Ukitake got dragged to the fake Karakura to fight Aizen when it is well known among pretty much all of SS that he can't fight for more than a couple minutes before doubling over in a fit coughing up blood.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHan posted:

Shunsui's second sword was to hold Nanao's broken nonsense sword right? Ukitake's shikai being two swords I never got being a big deal. Byakuya's shikai turns his sword into 1000 tiny swords, that's way more impressive.

Technically Byakuya's, as I understand it, is the same sword in a bajillion blades. Making two swords was unique to those two, but it's one of those things that unsurprisingly for Bleach never amounted to much. Even Ukitake's Shikai was pretty hax in theory.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dawgstar posted:

Technically Byakuya's, as I understand it, is the same sword in a bajillion blades. Making two swords was unique to those two, but it's one of those things that unsurprisingly for Bleach never amounted to much. Even Ukitake's Shikai was pretty hax in theory.

Yes, Byakuya's thing was splitting the blade of his one sword into a ton of tiny metal shards. Even his Bankai was him using the single sword as a catalyst.

Rangiku's was similar, but her blade turned into ash particles.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

miniscule12 posted:

I found another podcast with the concept so it seems 2020 is the year of bleach.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chugging-bleach-1-episodes-1-5/id1459979848?i=1000479283558

I think there is space for 3 bleach podcasts.

God dammit it's even called "Chugging Bleach" fuckers.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We never saw Ukitake's Bankai before he jobbed to death did we

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He didn't even job to death, he walked on screen to reveal the only reason he's alive is because somebody implanted a piece of the Soul King in him, and then he kills himself to free that piece of the soul king which could temporarily take the place of the piece Yhwach killed and hold reality together.

And no we never learned his bankai. We did learn his shikai can absorb all energy attacks and fire them back at double strength, regardless of the strength of the initial blast, which is broken as gently caress because even if you enemy has no energy based attacks, he could have just stood their and had an ally fire kido at his absorbing sword while pointing his attacking sword at the enemy over and over.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

makes more sense than having ghost cancer i guess

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The first Bleach OP is good!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Sydin posted:

He didn't even job to death, he walked on screen to reveal the only reason he's alive is because somebody implanted a piece of the Soul King in him, and then he kills himself to free that piece of the soul king which could temporarily take the place of the piece Yhwach killed and hold reality together.

You forgot to include the part where Ywach just absorbs that piece anyways, Ukitake ultimately contributed nothing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheHan posted:

You forgot to include the part where Ywach just absorbs that piece anyways, Ukitake ultimately contributed nothing.

tbf Kubo was completely checked out by that point and probably just wrote all that so he wouldn't have to sit down and figure what Ukitake's bankai does.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'm a couple episodes in and the volume is super uneven, and sometimes when it switches speakers I can't hear what people are saying

Oh, I think you're literally the first person to listen to this on speakers lol. All people with headphones say is my track is too quiet.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

And no we never learned his bankai. We did learn his shikai can absorb all energy attacks and fire them back at double strength, regardless of the strength of the initial blast, which is broken as gently caress because even if you enemy has no energy based attacks, he could have just stood their and had an ally fire kido at his absorbing sword while pointing his attacking sword at the enemy over and over.

Shoot a kido at the absorbent sword, then point the attacking sword at the absorbent one to create an infinite loop and one-shot anyone.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

What would happen if he absorbed Soifon's Shikai

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What would happen if he absorbed Soifon's Shikai

It might be able to transcend Soifon's power and actually hurt somebody of note.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

Shoot a kido at the absorbent sword, then point the attacking sword at the absorbent one to create an infinite loop and one-shot anyone.

That's literally what the Seven Deadly sins often do as one of their guys can reflect attacks back at double strength. :shrug:

Also I'm pretty sure Shunsui still had 2 swords, it's just that one of his swords was holding another sword inside of it? It's vague....and stupid. But at least it got rid of owlflamingocentaurtrumpeteer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda had a realization about Ichigo's motivation throughout the series. The big problem was that Ichigo kinda DID have a motivation at the beginning: He wanted to get the Hollow who killed his mom. The issue is that then he killed Grand Fisher at the end of that first arc and oops there goes his character. Like, they brought Grand Fisher back, I guess, but that's stupid/

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ichigo fights for his friends.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ichigo's problem is that his motivation is reactive rather than proactive. He doesnt want to be king of the pirates or hokage or anything that allows him to drive the plot through his own actions. He just sits around until somebody is in danger and then helps them. Which is probably why the meat of the whole manga is back-to-back rescue arcs.

e. And yes I know SEW's Bleach video has a lot of research issues, but on this particular flaw of Ichigo's character writing I think he nailed it.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 15, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sydin posted:

Ichigo's problem is that his motivation is reactive rather than proactive. He doesnt want to be king of the pirates or hokage or anything that allows him to drive the plot through his own actions. He just sits around until somebody is in danger and then helps them. Which is probably why the meat of the whole manga is back-to-back rescue arcs.

e. And yes I know SEW's Bleach video has a lot of research issues, but on this particular flaw of Ichigo's character writing I think he nailed it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this premise, necessarily. Before all the spirit stuff happened, Ichigo was just a normal dude living in a normal world, unlike Luffy or Naruto who lived in a world of pirates or ninjas respectively. It makes sense that he'd want to maintain his normal life as much as possible and protect his friends and family. The real problem is that Ichigo is such a bland character surrounded by infinitely more interesting characters that frequently job so Ichigo can swoop in and save the day.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ichigo doesn't have much of a personal reason to oppose aizen without him trying to blow up his hometown. Aizen doesn't even seem to occupy much real estate in his head for the first two thirds of the whole mega arc, because ichigos concerns seem to resolve around how he's going to beat grimmjow/Ulquiorra, despite aizen being way stronger than both of them.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with this premise, necessarily. Before all the spirit stuff happened, Ichigo was just a normal dude living in a normal world, unlike Luffy or Naruto who lived in a world of pirates or ninjas respectively. It makes sense that he'd want to maintain his normal life as much as possible and protect his friends and family. The real problem is that Ichigo is such a bland character surrounded by infinitely more interesting characters that frequently job so Ichigo can swoop in and save the day.

I remember liking the moment early on when he just states straight up that yeah, he doesn't give a poo poo about subbing in for Rukia's shinigami work, but can't ignore people in front of him needing help.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda had a realization about Ichigo's motivation throughout the series. The big problem was that Ichigo kinda DID have a motivation at the beginning: He wanted to get the Hollow who killed his mom. The issue is that then he killed Grand Fisher at the end of that first arc and oops there goes his character. Like, they brought Grand Fisher back, I guess, but that's stupid/

Grand fisher wasn't killed. Ichigo drove him off.
He was then killed by his dad and Ichigo doesn't even know.

They really should've mined the grand fisher for more.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'd like to hear one good reason why Grand Fisher wasn't an espada and Ichigo's main opponent in Hueco Mundo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Ichigo had a personality prior to Hueco Muendo where he slowly but surely shifted into being a generic bland shounen protagonist. I've said it before in this thread but the biggest red flag this was happening was when Ichigo had to fight a mental image of Kenpatchi who berated him for "not enjoying fighting". After that he proceeds to beg every opponent he encounters to stop fighting and whines constantly when he gets dragged into a fight. Compare to the flashback where he saves Chad, or his fights with Ikkaku and Byakuya in SS. Ichigo did enjoy a good fight, and had a tendency to be a cocky punk towards his opponents.

Also Ichigo wasn't really satisfied with his normal life, he has the whole monologue about the little girl ghost who vanishes at the start of the series about how the fact that he can see ghosts but has no ability to actually protect them is cruel, and that he desires more than anything the ability to protect them. Once he gets that power you'd think he'd do something with it besides constantly whine to Rukia about it but, oh well. The more I think on it the more I realize Ichigo's character writing was kinda all over the place from the start. Kubo give me a manga about Chad you loving coward.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheHan posted:

I'd like to hear one good reason why Grand Fisher wasn't an espada and Ichigo's main opponent in Hueco Mundo.

because grand fisher was never going to become a slender dude who wears stylish outfits. duh.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

because grand fisher was never going to become a slender dude who wears stylish outfits. duh.

He could easily have been after the arrancarization process!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Kubo will never give the thick lads their chance :negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All they had to do was make arrancar GF a straight up shape shifter instead of an anglerfish whose lure shape shifted. Ichigo has to battle his mom, the hamfisted drama writes itself.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sexy man with a fishing rod sword, ezpz.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MJeff posted:

Sexy man with a fishing rod sword, ezpz.

Literally Pesci from Jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

All they had to do was make arrancar GF a straight up shape shifter instead of an anglerfish whose lure shape shifted. Ichigo has to battle his mom, the hamfisted drama writes itself.

Rukia had to fight that guy already