Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Prof. Crocodile posted:

TIL that Jim Cornette, who i can literally remember from my childhood, is somehow still the most hated heel in pro wrestling.

Look, I'm not mad at the heel character Jim Cornette because in 1995 he interfered in a match and cost the bucktooth boys from winning the podunk tag titles at the dumpelton county fair.

I'm mad at Jim Cornette the person for inspiring a generation of wrestling fans that wrestling needs to keep being a scam to be successful. And that some people that look up to him are still carrying around those ideas in Indy feds and the industry writ large in all kinds of capacities to champion those ideals.

I'm sorry to snipe a page with this drek.
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FilthyImp posted:

IIRC there was a three-way match with Charlotte, Becky, and Asuka where Asuka got concussed and the match was sloppy and Charlotte got flak for not noting/caring Asuka was hosed up.

Then Asuka disappeared after Kairi disappeared :(

Not quite. What happened was there was a tag match between Charlotte/Becky and Asuka/Kairi. Kairi got concussed and Charlotte did not seem to notice or care. She insisted on getting her poo poo in and forcing her into spots even though Kairi was in no condition to, so Charlotte started slapping her around. Becky and Asuka ended up having to hide Kairi from Charlotte to save her.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Trollologist posted:

Look, I'm not mad at the heel character Jim Cornette because in 1995 he interfered in a match and cost the bucktooth boys from winning the podunk tag titles at the dumpelton county fair.

I'm mad at Jim Cornette the person for inspiring a generation of wrestling fans that wrestling needs to keep being a scam to be successful. And that some people that look up to him are still carrying around those ideas in Indy feds and the industry writ large in all kinds of capacities to champion those ideals.

I'm sorry to snipe a page with this drek.
:69snypa:

Keep your outlaw mud show bullshit in the school cafeteria where it belongs.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the business

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jamesman posted:

But are there any fun (or "fun") stories that can be shared about Asuka's time in WWE, or other Japanese talents?

I want to hear a million stories about women's wrestling, but I also don't because I'm sure it's all real rapey at some point and I don't want to hear it. My swollen grease-engorged heart just can't take it.

Also, some things to do with Asuka (these are basic, boilerplate stories)

1) make her like a spooky ghost. Have a title-holder or someone close to the title beat her and then get "cursed" and she haunts them and ruins matches for a few months until blow off match. Do spooky ghost things like turning off the lights and appearing in fog, whatever.

2) make her a unbeatable monster heel that wins all the time and then scares people by being so scary and winningy, then plucky little baby face comes in and slays the dragon.

3) she starts a whole "U.S. wrestling is poo poo" angle and then starts promising to take the title back to Japan and melt it down because it's trash. Bonus points if you bring in a few Japanese (like 2, maybe 3) lady wrestlers to help build her a stable. Showcase some east v west matches, and maybe bring in an "interpreter" because she's done speaking "gaijin tounge". Then sell a million shirts to weebs.

4) Win a lot, say that women wrestling is not challenging, start beating men, get a mid-card title. (Chyna did this!)

There's a lot to do! The finer points of like, the feuds and the promos are all, kind of whatever, but you can do a lot with an interesting wrestler with a neat gimmick.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 3, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lol @ tony Khan for paying actual money for Ring of Honor.

How loving badly did he want the tapes of Obayrion and Kodama of The Batiri to lay out all that money on a husk of a company.

I guess its more space for his collection of wrestlers. He can probably get 4 our 5 hundred under contract by the time one of those animal rights charities has to step in because the pent up wrestlers are all interbreeding, feral and have mange.

Still, I look forward eagerly to next months announcement that he has acquired the rights and tapes to WXO. The wholesame family friendly wrestling show.

One of you bulk container wordsmiths give me 12 paragraphs on the rise and fall of WXO.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid; heck I hadn't even heard of WXO and thought you were talking about WSX. But I will finish talking about the sort of thing that WXO might have been seeking to be an alternate to.

----

Ric Flair insulted Foley (in response to Foley firing the first shot, you could argue) by calling him a ‘glorified stuntman.’ In truth, Foley would be better off if he WAS a stuntman.

Stuntmen, after all, work in carefully arranged conditions to help do their shots. They have hidden crash pads, people waiting off camera to immediately assist them, and stuff like camera tricks. I remember seeing a bit near the end of Backdraft where at the time I went “Man, they really put the stuntman in danger to film that.” Turns out, of course, it was a camera and editing trick splicing together two shots, because there was no way that the film crew was going to risk their people actually doing such a stunt. And even if you get outliers like Jackie Chan’s laundry list of injuries and stuff like actually crawling across hot coals, reviewing the shot, not liking it, and then doing it AGAIN, at least if Chan screwed up the filming immediately stopped and he was taken for medical care. And at least stuntmen tend to have medical insurance.

Foley? He had none of that. All he had was his own personal desire to try and live up the first Hell In A Cell, and how to work around his opponent’s injury and him not being Shawn Michaels. So Terry Funk, ever a brilliant analyst, suggested ‘start on top of the cage’, at which point according to Mick’s first book, they went on about all sorts of crazy far-too-dangerous-even-for-Mick-to-try bits and bumps he could do, before Mick returned to the very first suggestion after the ‘start on top of the cage’ one: let Undertaker throw you off. Mick, with the jokes out of his system, had decided that he would indeed do it.

THE FIRST BUMP

And so he did. The match began, the cell was lowered, Mick came out first and (very awkwardly) climbed the chain link cage, having tossed a chair up there before, Undertaker came out and also climbed the cage, and the match began.

In one of those things that is screaming of things to come, but only really noticeable with hindsight, the top of the cage’s segments sagged more dangerously than they should have when Mick and Undertaker were walking around them. But after about 30 seconds of brawling, that fact didn’t seem like it would matter any more, as Mick told Undertaker to go for it.

And he did.

And hell, for newcomers and old fans who know it well, let's get that from another angle!

In his book, Mick’s mental commentary after he landed was “Oh thank god, I missed the monitors (on the table)”.

That well and truly drives home the precise mental state of Mick Foley, for good or ill. The man, weighing 240+ pounds, all of it in lower areas like hips and thighs, had been legitimately thrown off a 15 foot tall (if it was actually shorter, or by god TALLER, forgive me my error) structure. He had to, solely based on years of experience of being tossed around and off stuff, calculate just how to let the throw go so he would flip over and land on his back on the table to give himself just a LITTLE padding to break the fall. He didn’t get to practice this. He had no crash pad. All he had was a lunatic desire to please the fans, and the experience to actually have a chance of doing so without killing himself.

“Glorified stuntman”? Hell, I’d say that makes Foley a super stuntman. And in all honesty, that should have been enough. Foley had managed to make the fall and just ‘hurt himself a lot’, not overtly breaking or tearing anything that would require weeks or months of healing and rehab. It would have been a ‘lovely match’, but barring the circumstances it was still above and beyond the call of duty. Hell, they even came out with a stretcher and put Mick on it.

Mick promptly got off of it, got to his feet, and started climbing the cage again. In his book, Mick notes that while the first time, he’d had trouble, the second time, he did it easier, because he was ‘flying on adrenaline’. I suspect it was that same adrenaline that wholly chased away any proper sense that he’d done enough. Fight or flight had kicked in, and Foley’s instincts had picked their own warped version of ‘fight’.

Exactly what the pair had planned, if anything, now that Foley had actually done his incredibly risky bump, I don’t know.

It wasn’t what happened.

THE SECOND BUMP

Bret Hart, in his own book, noted the odd contradiction of pro wrestlers, who were often pretending to try and physically destroy each other, but in reality were trusting in each other to pretend to do so and make it look good, calling wrestlers ‘big hearted brutes’. It’s a fair assessment. Wrestlers might be green and hence make mistakes. They might be sloppy and make other mistakes, but that’s often as much on the people who put them in that ring as the person themselves. And they might not want to learn how to get better (ol Cornette levels this accusation at Ultimate Warrior with his trademark sour malice, for example), but that’s ego, rather than intentional malice (never attribute to etc etc stupidity yadda yadda). But a wrestler who deliberately takes advantage of his opponent, who betrays their trust and hurts them, is considered the lowest of the low, and unless they have some good excuse making skills, they won’t have much of a career in wrestling. One of the many reasons Nelson “Mabel” Frazier failed as a main eventer in 1995 was his insistence on doing a spot where he would basically ‘sit-plant’ himself onto his opponent; unlike Yokozuna’s Banzai Drop, which used the giant man’s legs to conceal that he wasn’t actually squashing them, Frazier was legit dropping his 500+ pound frame down onto wrestlers. He was explicitly told not to do it, and at least once, did it anyway; worse, he did it in a match with then WWF Champion Kevin Nash. And that wasn’t his only sloppiness; he legit broke a bone in the Undertaker’s face doing another screwed up drop. I am amazed that someone didn’t beat the crap out of the man backstage for it all.

Or there’s New Jack, who you could bring up multiple stories for. Like the “Mass Transit” incident, which Jack probably got away with because his opponent 1) Lied about his age, and 2) Told Jack he could cut him, giving Jack just enough wiggle room to file it under a ‘sorry, my bad’ situation. Or the time that he wrestled not very good wrestler Vic Grimes, who hesitated to do a bump at the last second, forcing New Jack, in the heat of the match, to drag him along, resulting in Grimes landing badly on New Jack and nearly killing him. When a grudge match was set up years later in another promotion over it, New Jack later claimed that he deliberately tried to kill Grimes in revenge for the injuries he suffered by ‘screwing up’ another fall-bump that was part of the match.

The point being, in wrestling, even if you legitimately hate your opponent, there’s always that trust that is required. Violate it at your peril. Not everyone gets off as easy as Frazier and Jack more or less did.

Related; spots in general cannot be practiced. There’s occasional exceptions, of course; it’s said that the reason that the Savage vs Steamboat match at Wrestlemania III and the Michaels vs Ramon ladder match at Wrestlemania 10 were such iconic, one of a kind matches was because before them, the wrestlers fought each other in a dozen and change house shows leading up to the big PPV, working out various bits and spots, and then when the big show came, took all the best bits and put them together in one smooth package. But generally, while people might know it’s coming, you can’t guarantee anything.

Sometimes this results in what should have been amazing highlights falling flat. Take Brock Lesner’s shooting star press at Wrestlemania 19, where a more tired Lesner, a sweat covered top rope area, and Kurt being just a little farther away than intended resulted not in Lesner doing a glorious flip and slam down (something he had done in his training in the developmental territories, but hadn’t done since he was called up to the WWF), but screwing up and basically landing right on his shoulders and head, only his thick muscles likely saving him from breaking said neck, or worse. Or two scenes with Jeff Hardy, risk taker extraordinaire, in 2001. One was at the second Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match at Wrestlemania 17: circumstances arranged three ladders in a row that Jeff, in one ring corner, was supposed to walk over the tops of to make a grab for the hanging belts. Alas, without anyone to hold them, the ladders proved too rickety for Jeff to use them as stepping stones, and he lost his balance and fell off at the third step, forcing improvisation to set up the follow up spot. Six or so months later, Jeff would be going solo in a (just a) Ladder match against WWE newcomer and also renowned jumper and air catcher Rob Van Dam, who like his namesake was incredibly flexible and capable of doing leaping roundhouse kicks that seemed to briefly ignore gravity. Jeff would make a climb for the belt up for grabs, RVD would pull the ladder away, leaving Jeff hanging from the rope that held the belt in the air in the middle of the ring, and RVD would run to a corner, spring up, and attempt a backwards leaping roundhouse spin kick to strike Jeff in mid air. It would have been an amazing spot…except RVD, when it came time to do it, just couldn’t get enough momentum and height, and fell short by a considerable degree, the spot turned into the equivalent of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Sometimes, it results in more serious things, like when Joey Mercury, having yet another ladder match with Jeff Hardy (and his brother, it was a tag team match), was just a bit out of place for a ‘seesaw spot’ where someone landed on one end of the ladder and the other end snapped up to give the illusion of striking Mercury in the face, and it actually did snap up and hit Mercury upside his face, sending him tumbling from the ring and out of the match with blood pouring from his face and his eye immediately swelling shut.

And sometimes, it just seems so drat risky even if things go right. I think of Mercury’s tag partner in that same match, Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Mundo/Probablyotherlastnames, taking part in one of the multi-man ‘Money In The Bank’ ladder matches, and one of the early spots being Johnny grabbing a small ladder, going to the top rope, and doing a moonsault backwards onto the other wrestlers massed outside while HOLDING THE LADDER AS A BLUDGEON. God knows how many ways that could have gone wrong. But the point of all this is, things might go wrong, they might fail, but the wrestlers know what’s coming.

This spot was not planned. Mick Foley did NOT know it was coming. Back on top of the cage, after a few more traded punches, Undertaker grabbed Foley for his trademark chokeslam, and performed it.

And the cage roof panel broke.

…yeah.

So Foley, without knowing it was going to happen, and hence unable to take whatever possible preventive measures he could take under such a circumstance, fell at least 12 feet flat onto his back onto a WWE ring, which was renowned for being one of the hardest in the business. And just because that wasn’t enough…

The text is underselling it. What basically happened was the chair got whiplash-snapped over and slammed Mick in the face when he hit the ring floor. And on top of THAT, Mick had removed his Mankind mask after the first fall, robbing him of any sort of padding it might have provided.

Seriously, nothing says more then when asked later what Undertaker was thinking looking down at this accident, even as clueless fans believed it was part of the show and chanted Undertaker’s name. His response?

“I thought he was dead.”

And he should have been, really.

It’s so strange how events play off each other in opposite ways. Undertaker had a broken foot, so Mick, to compensate for that, arranged to start the match on top of the cage, and do it again, leading to this. But said broken bone also kept Undertaker from getting the full lift of his normal chokeslam: it’s supposed to be a lift up and fully slam down on the back, but with the broken foot, it ended up being more of a ‘half slam, half toss backwards’; note that one of Mick’s feet doesn’t even leave the ground. That meant that when Mick impacted on the cage, it was more on his butt, and hence when it broke and his momentum kept him revolving, there was enough wiggle room so that he crashed down on his back. If Undertaker had performed the proper chokeslam, the momentum, in classic ‘buttered side of the toast always lands face down’ gravity and distance result, would have kept Mick turning and caused him to land on his shoulders. Or his head.

Which very likely would have killed him. Or at least, left him not in control of all his limbs. Mick defied the odds. Good fortune kept him from literally dying for the fans, doing a spot that no one asked him to do. Seemingly, for our sakes.

And that should have been it. Done, Finito. FFS, this ‘bump’ wasn’t planned.

But Mick’s ‘luck’ had concussed him so bad that he no longer remembers anything about the match. There are plenty of cases of wrestlers being severely concussed, but somehow functioning on autopilot to keep going. It happened with Mike “The Miz” Mizanan at Wrestlemania 27, Brock Lesner at Wrestlemania 29, and Lesner’s opponent The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 30 in the match where the Streak was broken. I believe it also happened early in the match, so not only did Undertaker go through most of it on autopilot, but he managed to walk to the back under his own power before he collapsed, revealing just how serious it was.

And that’s when they just ‘keep going’. There are also stories of wrestlers who have been completely knocked senseless, yet still on their feet, and as a result, ‘not behaving properly’. Take the end of this early Botchamania (starts around 3:00), where Sandman talks over a match where he got knocked stupid and hence kept kicking out of pins he wasn’t supposed to, laughing over it and how angry his opponent (once again, Mick Foley) was getting over it.

Or a time when Mick saw his friend Al Snow take an unprotected chair shot to the head, spring back up with a grin, get blasted again, do it again, third time, yet again, only staying down the fourth time. When Mick confronted him over this not-planned-nor-desired act, as it made his opponent look bad, Al replied that he didn’t remember a thing after the first shot; it had knocked him cold and his brain just kept firing neurons anyway.

(Which led to a great in joke later where Foley, cutting a promo, said he wanted to congratulate Al Snow on his recent sponsorship by Lazy Boy, which surprised Mick because “Al Snow doesn’t usually sell chairs.”)

And lo and behold, having somehow escaped breaking a leg, or wholly separating a shoulder, or any sort of injury that should have prevented him from doing so, Mick, in a fog of war, got up and CONTINUED THE MATCH.

Well, sort of. In truth, Hell In A Cell II isn’t really a match. It’s a bunch of hardcore spots barely sewed together by a legit senseless Mick Foley and an injured and likely in shock over events going as they were Undertaker. Mick thwarts Undertaker’s trademark rope walk. Undertaker lightly bonks Mick with the stairs a few times. Undertaker misses a ring dive and crashes into the side of the cage. Mick piledrives Undertaker onto a chair. Then Mick decides to bring out thumbtacks, which he promptly gets chokeslammed on, in a move at which point is literal salt in the wound, before a Tombstone ends the match. Seriously, no picture sums up the match more than this image of Mick (under a spoiler because it's not nice to look at) after the second fall, somehow able to keep going, as if his brain wouldn’t let him stop.

Thus went Hell In A Cell II.

So, what was the total toll on Mick Foley for Hell In A Cell II? Well, according to Wikipedia…

Wikipedia posted:

“...a concussion, a dislocated jaw and shoulder, bruised ribs, internal bleeding, puncture wounds, and several teeth knocked out.”

That little white speck near Mick’s nose in that infamous picture? That’s one of said teeth. All things considered, Mick got off fairly easy. Sadly, it wouldn’t be the last time he got metaphorically murdered to put together ‘a great match’. Perhaps less sadly, while Mick does bear extensive consequences for his decades of bumps, he can still walk, he seems mostly mentally intact (even if his brain damage means he can’t do some things he used to love doing, like go on rollercoasters), and none of his family followed him into the lunatic bumping business: while his daughter Noelle was interested in a time in becoming a wrestler, she would end up changing her mind; she’s currently an Instagram model, IIRC.

So, if it isn’t obvious, why is this both the best and worst match in WWF history? It garnered near universal critical acclaim, even notoriously hard to please sorts like Dave Meltzer giving it high marks…but as I have said, as a match, it’s complete crap. For once, the acclaim has nothing to do with the actual match quality, or psychology, or anything like that.

It solely has to do with Mick Foley. Taking that first fall, and continuing to fight. Taking that second fall…and still going. Yes, he was knocked senseless and if he hadn’t been he might well have tapped out and let himself be taken away for medical attention. We’ll never know. It’s a dedication of heart, strength, and lunacy that maybe no entertainment can match. Imagine if a UFC fighter broke his shin and kept fighting by hopping on one leg. Or that Simpsons bit where the kicker does one final kick at the cost of his leg literally flying off, except, you know, for real. And done because Mick Foley wanted to entertain his people. That being, us.

Why it’s the worst should be just as obvious. Mick Foley should be dead. Only great luck saved his life and career. The odds were that that night, all other things being equal, his wife would have been widowed. His two children, left orphaned. His two sons yet to be born would never exist.

And the wrestling business does not deserve that kind of sacrifice. A bunch of carny assholes who are one or two steps away from basically trying to rob an audience at gunpoint half the time doesn’t deserve this kind of dedication and risk. It was 1998: it wasn’t like we fans, the ones who are the only real beneficiary to such dedication (misguided as it may be), could set up a Kickstarter or a GoFundMe if Mick HAD died, or been crippled from the neck down. I doubt Vince would have been paying Colette and her family to live comfortably for the rest of their lives: they sure didn’t with Owen Hart. Even sadder is the fact that had Mick not had such luck, maybe the event would have made absolutely sure Owen Hart was never up in the rafters on a sailboat harness all so he could do a stupid pratfall because his gimmick was ‘he was lame’. Though it wouldn’t have surprised me if, in another timeline where the luck didn’t win out, Vince continued the show after Foley’s fall and whatever came from it. I doubt he lost sleep over Owen’s death. Not many in charge of wrestling would. That’s just the sort of people driven to get into the business, get on top of it, and suck it dry. It’s the same attitude that results in promoters stealing the entirety of small gates and driving off into the night, leaving the people who actually brought in the money high and dry. Or letting racism, misogyny, and the like just keep festering under the surface even as they try and promote stuff like “Be A Star” and “The Women’s Revolution”. A man who craps his pants, gets his crappy underwear on a stick, and chases around one of his employees in a deliberate attempt to make him sick doesn’t deserve the level of Mick’s sacrifice, and the fact that the match is so lauded just makes that fact lost in ever greater amounts of white noise. After all, Mick lived, he even escaped major injury, and he became immortalized for it. Great. The next 100 people trying to mimic him probably won’t. Nor will the next 100, or the next. They’ll be tossed aside because there’s always fresh meat willing to give up everything. And too many people will think, yeah, that’s great, and nothing but great.

I really cannot say whether Mick was wrong or not for what he did that night. He’s a grown man, he does have functioning mental facilities despite all the head trauma, and he can make his own choices. I really have no right to tell him no, it’s not worth it, don’t do it. But the glass I raise to what he did sacrifice, my respect…it wouldn’t have put food on his family’s table if that night had gone differently. Or if things went terribly wrong with the Nestea Plunge. Or a little more than six months later, when a still green not much removed from being a rookie Rock got carried away in the heat at the end of a match and instead of delivering one or two unprotected chairshots (which is already one or two too many), he panicked thinking something had gone wrong on his end and proceeded to deliver over a dozen slamming blows to Mick’s extra-unprotected cranium because Mick had had his hands handcuffed behind him. It’s a little hard to pay ‘respect’ for Mick’s actions when you also have film of the last thing (the chairshots) of his wife freaking out and his kids breaking down in hysterics watching it all play out. I mean, really, when getting smashed through a flaming table at a Wrestlemania match six years after you supposedly retired is considered much safer and several steps down, well…you know something is rotten in any state you can list.

I hope for the best for Mick. I hope that he manages a happy life with whatever he would want; grandchildren, maybe more books, whatever. And it’s not like Mick is without his flaws or aspects of himself that might make people give him the sideeye: his odd relationship with female wrestler Melina Perez comes to mind. Flair’s criticism was not baseless; in some ways it had more merit than Mick’s initial one.

In the end, what else can be hoped for than Mankind’s main catchphrase? HAVE A NICE DAY!

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 4, 2022

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the money mark grew money marker

its better than roh being gone forever i guess. also its better than vince owning it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont enjoy hardcore wrestling all that much and find it hard to watch despite mick foley being one of my favorite wrestlers

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ad by Khad posted:

the money mark grew money marker

its better than roh being gone forever i guess. also its better than vince owning it

i can't imagine there was a huge price on the head of an ostensibly dead company, tbf

at some point it's easier just to buy it than to negotiate for exclusive rights to the video library

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Every single pro wrestler ever is a glorified stuntman/woman/etc. All of them. Ric Flair is an egomaniacal purist idiot.

Yeah there's a lot more to pro wrestling than taking bumps but it's not like bumping was Foley's only relevant skill.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

lol @ tony Khan for paying actual money for Ring of Honor.

How loving badly did he want the tapes of Obayrion and Kodama of The Batiri to lay out all that money on a husk of a company.

You know, I once watched a low-rent z-tier Indy promoter compare himself to Vince McMahon. Favorably.

It seems like Tony is dropping enough cash to make this at least semi-real to himself.

Go play McMahon, Kahn.

I think the funniest part of the whole AEW thing is that this isn't a business venture for Tony. He's just so rich that his wrestling hobby is "own wrestling until I'm done playing with my toys".

Everyone mad at WWE that's hyping AEW (inside and out) will only have themselves to blame when Tony wants to put his toys away and go do something else and the business tanks. Every overpaid talent, useless executive, worthless writer, etc. They're all going to be the reasons that this dies when the piggy bank runs dry.

And they won't be able to go back to Vince because he'll either have sold or died. And wrestling dies in America.

Can't. Wait.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cornwind Evil posted:

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Trollologist posted:

You know, I once watched a low-rent z-tier Indy promoter compare himself to Vince McMahon. Favorably.

It seems like Tony is dropping enough cash to make this at least semi-real to himself.

Go play McMahon, Kahn.

I think the funniest part of the whole AEW thing is that this isn't a business venture for Tony. He's just so rich that his wrestling hobby is "own wrestling until I'm done playing with my toys".

Everyone mad at WWE that's hyping AEW (inside and out) will only have themselves to blame when Tony wants to put his toys away and go do something else and the business tanks. Every overpaid talent, useless executive, worthless writer, etc. They're all going to be the reasons that this dies when the piggy bank runs dry.

And they won't be able to go back to Vince because he'll either have sold or died. And wrestling dies in America.

Can't. Wait.

This is a dumb take. TK's explicit goal with AEW is to avoid all the big mistakes that tanked WCW. He's already said that people like Russo and Bischoff aren't welcome on the creative team, he doesn't answer to another billionaire like Ted Turner, he's not hiring rapists like Ric Flair and racists like Hogan, he's treating legends like Sting and JR with the respect they deserve, and he's fostering a positive and collaborative locker room environment which is the polar opposite of the soul-crushing grinder of abuse and bullying that's been the WWE standard for decades. He pays road expenses, he lets people do twitch streams and youtube shows and work with other promotions and basically lets them actually enjoy their jobs and life.

And he's a lifelong wrestling fan. Dude was at ECW shows when he was a teen. This isn't a flight of fancy for him that he'll drop next year when his attention span runs out. I mean I don't think AEW is going to be around literally forever but it's already doing better than TNA/Impact and TK has more money than Vince McMahon could ever hope to make so it's not like he's putting himself anywhere close to bankruptcy by funding AEW and buying ROH. Even if he is an lol money mark lol it doesn't matter because he's not even scratching the surface of his fortune with this wrestling thing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bookers Getting high with the boys is the biggest mistake wcw ever made and Tony is doing a better job of that than biachoff ever did. He wants friends and it shows. His roster is bloated. His story telling is stop start and polluted by the whims of what his big names and faves want to do every single show. Everyone else is relegated to big crowded schmozz matches with zero angle like silver king and laparka used to do.

He is wcw incarnate and making the exact same misktakes more often and wcw itself ever did.

He failed to keep any of the cm punk high ratings audience around on rampage.

I’m just waiting for Robocop and Karl Malone and denis rodman to show up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bookers Getting high with the boys is the biggest mistake wcw ever made and Tony is doing a better job of that than biachoff ever did. He wants friends and it shows. His roster is bloated. His story telling is stop start and polluted by the whims of what his big names and faves want to do every single show. Everyone else is relegated to big crowded schmozz matches with zero angle like silver king and laparka used to do.

He is wcw incarnate and making the exact same misktakes more often and wcw itself ever did.

:allears:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

:thunk:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Unless big swollen was lying about getting high with Tony….

No. Surely it’s everyone else without an emotional attachment to the success of aew because they don’t also angrily resent Vince for making Alexa bliss act out a character that had an eating disorder who is wrong.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Unless big swollen was lying about getting high with Tony….

No. Surely it’s everyone else without an emotional attachment to the success of aew because they don’t also angrily resent Vince for making Alexa bliss act out a character that had an eating disorder who is wrong.

Everyone knows TK's into coke, not weed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AEW is really good.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

wwe has been extremely loving bad for much longer than aew has existed, the two are not connected in that way that you may think they are

wrestling SHOULD die in america if the only option is 2012-era wwe

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't know poo poo about nothing, but AEW has gotten me excited about wrestling for the first time since the Undertaker debut. If it crashes then so be it but I'm going to enjoy the ride.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I must not be watching aew at the right time or something because when I've caught it before it was the worst kind of mid-2000's indy spot monkey matches

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

titties posted:

I must not be watching aew at the right time or something because when I've caught it before it was the worst kind of mid-2000's indy spot monkey matches

try this:

https://youtu.be/ipHzmucwYtc

More of a spite-fest than a spot-fest.

Tay Conti doing Tay stuff
Fish vs Moriarty
and Bryan Danielson vs Suzuki

edit: 16:21

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 4, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
AEW drives people insane from just existing and that owns

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

AEW drives people insane from just existing and that owns

Gavok posted:

AEW is really good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cody rhodes tried to get over as a face by dressing as homelander, getting a really stupid neck tattoo, and throwing himself through burning tables and when the audience kept booing him he got pissed off and went back to Vince instead of just turning heel like everyone wanted lmao. cody ftw

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

AEW is great if you like to watch poorly run things go off the rails because of the personal failings of a friendless rich kid trying to vicariously get revenge on his dad abandoning him in front of a tv tuned to a tape-loop of a sub par episode of Thunder to instead make trunk lid rubber grommets.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cody owns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AEW also owns even if it is hosed up they still haven't made PAC champ and they probably never will.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cody rhodes tried to get over as a face by dressing as homelander, getting a really stupid neck tattoo, and throwing himself through burning tables and when the audience kept booing him he got pissed off and went back to Vince instead of just turning heel like everyone wanted lmao. cody ftw

I have no idea where that idea came from. He never seemed to care about boos as long as he was getting a reaction. According to people who know Cody and who talked about it the reason he left was because he wanted to co-book the shows with Tony Khan and Tony said no. Anything else is pure speculation unless people have some credible sources to cite.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince is going to murder cody

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have no idea where that idea came from. He never seemed to care about boos as long as he was getting a reaction. According to people who know Cody and who talked about it the reason he left was because he wanted to co-book the shows with Tony Khan and Tony said no. Anything else is pure speculation unless people have some credible sources to cite.

cody's hubris will be his downfall

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I just hope Vince hates Shane enough for him to spite-blow $75 million on a hopeless senate seat run to send Coady Roads to the Capitol.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he cut a promo about how he solved racism by impregnating a black woman

why would you not cheer this man

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

anthony ogogo didn't actually interrupt that promo to say, "boy, you're a real thomas jefferson, aren't you?" but in my head he did and it makes it significantly better

he did post a picture of cody's tour bus and call him a bus wanker, though, which is nearly as good, if you forget the whole thing where the goal of pro wrestling should not be to want to see the babyface get his comeuppance

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ok. But counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGpP6xYPG5k

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cody tried to kill his dog with pyrotechnics

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is a dumb take. ... He pays road expenses ...
he's a lifelong wrestling fan. ... I don't think AEW is going to be around literally forever ... TK has more money than Vince McMahon ... Even if he is an lol money mark lol

So, here's what I take away from AEW:

I hope it works, I don't see the pitch outside of wrestle dorks who should love this. But it better start doing something other than "HEY LOOK ITS _____!!!!" Or it will get old.

Now look, I'm not a billionaire, so clearly I don't know poo poo. But I've watch enough feds either die or flounder for a while before never doing anything to have learned the following: you have to do something different or you're going to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the thing aew does is have good matches

it already outdraws wwe in several parts of the USA because of this, including the original home territory of wwe, new york

nyc is #AllElite