Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It’s no different than all the Anakins, Khalisis, and all those mommy blog names with Ys added for uniqueness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Power Khan posted:

My girlfriend (F20) wants me (M22) to cum on an anime figure.
nsfw
My girlfriend of 2 years is extremely into anime. In an attempt to get me into it too she showed me a busty anime figure on Amazon and suggested I purchase it with my Amazon gift card she got me for my birthday.I figured it was a win-win situation and decided to place the order. While it was still on the way she continuously showed me memes of a "rainbow dash cum jar" and made jokes that I should do it to the figure once it arrived. I laughed it off thinking nothing of it. However, as the delivery date drew near she was becoming more insistent that I cum on the figure bargaining that it doesn't have to be in a jar like the meme. I was really uncomfortable but continued to shoot the idea down nicely because I didn't want to upset her or make her feel as if i was "kink shaming".

Anyway the figure is now here and she is angry I refuse to cum on it. She is refusing to have sex unless I finish on the anime figure and even mentions breaking up if I don't. I'm just really not ok with cumming on an anime figure but I love her and don't want to lose her.

Edit: this is what we're working with ladies and gentleman.

Some kinks need to be shamed.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Recipe nazis are getting to be as annoying as grammar nazis, why bother giving a poo poo about what calling food "vegan _____", it doesn't matter and doesn't affect you in any way other than you being an annoying pedant. Stop getting offended by vegetables.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Picnic Princess posted:

Recipe nazis are getting to be as annoying as grammar nazis, why bother giving a poo poo about what calling food "vegan _____", it doesn't matter and doesn't affect you in any way other than you being an annoying pedant. Stop getting offended by vegetables.

I have to wonder if there's any relation to how all online recipes are now like this:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MagusofStars posted:

$50+shipping for some store-branded merch??? That's insane. Most restaurants I've been to charge like $20-$25 for their merch, plus a perk like "free appetizer every time you come in wearing our shirt" or whatever; hard to imagine the salon is so prestigious that it justifies paying $50 for it.

The point isn't the merch, the point is the salon isn't going to make rent without a cash infusion since they've been closed by the state.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My (17F) friend (17M) wants me to stay single until he’s 21 but he says he might not want to be with me anyways

quote:

Yesterday, my online friend, who is 17, messaged me saying he wants us to be in a relationship when he’s 21. He explained that he wants to finish high school and be financially stable prior to getting into a relationship. He hasn’t been in a relationship before, and neither have I. I was initially hesitant because I wasn’t expecting this and he suddenly said he loved me.

However, he explained that he is really lonely and that he really wants to be with me. He said it would make him do better at school if he knew someone cared about him in that way. I agreed to stay single and not look for other guys for the next 3 years.

But then he told me he wants me to wait for him but that he might decide, when he’s 21, not to start a relationship with me anyways. I felt like he was messing with me and this really hurt me as I’d considered him a friend. I told him I need a break from talking to him but he kept saying that he will be very upset unless I promise to stay single until he turned 21 so he can be with me if he wants to.

I really don’t know what I should do. I do like him very much but he isn’t sure what he wants.

tl;dr: I have no idea what to do in this situation.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have to wonder if there's any relation to how all online recipes are now like this:

That's because of Google.

Google runs analytics on how people behave after they click through a search link. It wants to see lots of content - so, walls of text, and photos. It also doesn't like people coming back to the same search query after a short time, because the system assumes they're searching for a single fact and didn't get the answer they needed.

A recipe blogger who just throws out "here's a good recipe for chocolate cake" will get buried. They don't have a ton of text, and obviously people aren't interested if they just get what they came for at the top, then go back and look at other recipes for chocolate cake. Their competition, who buries the recipe most of the way through a bad story about every birthday they've ever had, will crank up the engagement metrics and get great placement in search results.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

BF upset over videogame.

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years. We always play games together. It's how we bonded. Over the years we've played a ton of games together. Generally, he's better than me at most of these games. Some of them I'm better at than him and it's no big deal. It's like maybe five games.

Anyways, onto the reason for this post. I recently bought us both the new Animal Crossing game. It's a very casual/relaxing game to play from the beginning. We've played since release day. We're sharing progress and visiting each others town to help one another. At one point I got further in the game than him and now he's upset that I've made further progress(collecging bugs, fish, fossils, etc) He even told me he lost interest in the game because of the progress i made.

So now I'm kinda upset that he lost interest in something that he had no problem with before. The one game I happen to be "better" than him at.its a casual game. I play to relax. Not to grind for hours trying to get a certain bug or fish or whatever. I never looked at it as a competition. I was just playing to have fun while he's stressing about wanting to get a specific item or make his town look better than mine. He even sulked when saw what I did with mine. I thought we were having fun, but I guess not. He doesn't want to play and especially with me.

Is this even worth the effort to try and fix the issue or should I just drop it? Either way, I'm going to keep playing and enjoying this game. It's pretty childish in my opinion.

On the other hand, animal crossing is getting buried in eggs right now, so it might be a good time to take a break with ac. Curse you, zipper!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My MIL (60F) called me (25F) a rebound and my son (1M) ugly

quote:

My husband, let’s call him David, and I got married in Feb 2018. David’s parents never really warmed up to me because they were still endlessly talking about David’s ex, let’s call her Ashley. Ashley was very abusive to David and then he left her. They have a son together and Ashley still to this day uses David’s parents as free babysitters because David and I don’t live in the same state as them anymore.

When we got married, we eloped in a small park in the south and just wanted it to be an intimate thing. I had told my parents way prior to us getting married (they live across the country) that that’s what we were going to do. David was afraid his parents would judge him so he didn’t tell them - not even the day of, he said he wanted to tell them in person which was two weeks after the fact. When he told them, his mom burst into tears and yelled at me for being a rebound and that they thought he would date around more.

Well two weeks after this explosion, we were out having a campfire, just me, David, and David’s dad. We were having a good time. Just a little backstory, David’s dad had cancer (he’s doing fine now), but he always had a habit of mixing up names. He’d call me David’s ex’s name all the time and I dismissed it because I know he didn’t mean to. Well David’s mom and sister came out to the campfire and then David’s mom started saying poo poo so David’s dad tried defending me, but he called me David’s ex’s name on accident. His mom and sister laughed at me. I was done so I left and David called me and asked me to come back. I said I couldn’t. He said that even though he was drinking, if I didn’t come back he would have to drive after me. I didn’t want him drinking and driving so I went back (manipulation, I know).

Well in April of 2018, I got pregnant. My husband is military and he got orders across the country, I was in the military too and had to stay there because that’s where I was stationed. So the pregnancy was spent alone. His family lived in the same city I was stationed but maybe saw me once or twice the whole pregnancy and stated that they didn’t invite me over because I was quiet. Of course I was quiet lol.

Anyway, when our son was born, I spent my maternity leave with my husband across the country and had to finish out my last few months of active duty back in his hometown. In the 3 months I was there, they saw our son once and whenever they got my step son, I always asked if I could spend one on one time with him and they always said no because it was their time with him. David asked Ashley multiple times if I could get my step son every other weekend but she would never reply to him out of spite.

When I finally left his hometown, it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. But in June of 2019, my husband, his sister, and mom were in a group chat and David sent a pic of our son to them and David’s mom said, “he’s ugly and looks just like OP’s dad”. She forgot that David was part of the group message members. I didn’t find out she said this until a couple of months ago. And my husband wanted to take him to their house for Christmas last year! I just don’t get it.

What should we do about his family?

TLDR: my husbands family has acted very spiteful towards me since we got married and my husband hasn’t made efforts to defend me or stick up for his family

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

My MIL (60F) called me (25F) a rebound and my son (1M) ugly

Way to gloss over gaslighting and abuse to to focus on the non issue.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

My (17F) friend (17M) wants me to stay single until he’s 21 but he says he might not want to be with me anyways

financially stable at 21 lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

financially stable at 21 lol

That's somewhat more plausible then the "I need you to stay away from other guys for 3 years before we meet" to a 17 year old.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Space Gopher posted:

That's because of Google.

Google runs analytics on how people behave after they click through a search link. It wants to see lots of content - so, walls of text, and photos. It also doesn't like people coming back to the same search query after a short time, because the system assumes they're searching for a single fact and didn't get the answer they needed.

A recipe blogger who just throws out "here's a good recipe for chocolate cake" will get buried. They don't have a ton of text, and obviously people aren't interested if they just get what they came for at the top, then go back and look at other recipes for chocolate cake. Their competition, who buries the recipe most of the way through a bad story about every birthday they've ever had, will crank up the engagement metrics and get great placement in search results.

I use Recipe Filter (Chrome extension) that will automatically launch a pop-up of just the recipe when you visit the page. Doesn't work on all sites, unfortunately, but enough to be worth the time it takes to install it.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

DemoneeHo posted:

BF upset over videogame.

On the other hand, animal crossing is getting buried in eggs right now, so it might be a good time to take a break with ac. Curse you, zipper!

The post doesn't say their ages.

He's a grown twenty-four year old adult man :laffo:.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for donating sperm to one friend but not another?

quote:

I (29M) am a gay man with many queer friends of various sexual and gender identities. I am in a long-term relationship and actually love other people's kids, but am uninterested in ever having my own children.

Two years ago, one of my oldest, closest friends (a lesbian who we'll call M, now 30F) and her wife asked me if I would consider donating sperm so they could have a child. I love M as much as I love anyone, and was super honored that she'd asked. I said yes. M and her wife now have a lovely baby girl who I act as an "uncle" toward, and who I love very much in a "this is not my child but I hope to know her for the rest of my life" kind of way.

About a month ago, another good friend (nonbinary, call them J, 28) and their partner (nonbinary, 33) told me that they were also interested in having a child. In case it's not obvious, they are both biologically female, so they can't have kids together lol. They told me that they were wowed by how well my decision to donate for M had worked out, and were hoping to do the same. They told me that they would be honored if I would consider it, and that they'd love it if I had the same sort of relationship with their child that I do with M's daughter.

In the past, I have told many of my friends that I would be open to donating again, under the right circumstances, and in fact there is yet another lesbian couple that I'm quite close with that I've discussed donating to once they reach that point. Like I said, I love kids and as long as I'm not considered a "father" in any way, I don't mind spending ten minutes giving people I love the opportunity to live their domestic dreams.

However, with J and their partner... if I'm being honest, I don't think they're ready to have children. The two of them have been off-and-on for several years, with both of them cheating on each other at various points (the last time being only about six months ago). I care about them both very much, but they're honestly pretty immature. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of being involved with their (rash) decision to have a kid, so I told them that while I was honored they asked, I wouldn't be able to donate.

I didn't tell them why, but obviously they've heard me say before that I'd be down to donate again, so they were understandably surprised that I declined. After they pressed me for my reasoning, I told them that I didn't feel comfortable giving a child to a couple that I honestly didn't think were ready for it. They were very offended. They told me that it's not my place to judge whether they're ready for kids, and that it's messed up that straight couples can knock each other up whenever they want, but queer couples have to be considered "worthy" of it.

Obviously, I'm under no legal or moral obligation to produce any child that I don't want to produce. But I do understand that I've really hurt my friends, and a lot of our extended friend group is super pissed at me rn, so I'm here looking for some perspective.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for donating sperm to one friend but not another?

The number of redditors who think donating sperm through proper channels leaves you on the hook for child support because it happened to some guy who used a turkey baster.

Still NTA but not for the reason reddit thinks is the primary concern here.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Oof. It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, at the point you tell someone "I don't think you're fit to be parents," that relationship is probably over forever. Not sure why he's surprised.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I don't know if this OP got posted here, but there's an update:

My fiancee(27F) doesn't want to tell me anything about her job after two years of being engaged to me(32M)

quote:

My fiancee and I have been engaged for nearly two years and during that time, we boned over our shared musical taste and her being the most amazing woman I've ever met. But I have noticed she lives a very expensive lifestyle. We live in one of the most expensive cities in the States and I suggested we move in together to save some money, even finding us a really nice apartment as I work in real estate. She told me she didn't want to live together because she likes having her own space and that she \*bought\* her apartment. That has caught me off guard since her apartment would definitely cost several million dollars and she was only 26 at the time.

Every time I try to approach her regarding our finances, she dodges the conversation and tries to change the subject. All she has told me is that she works in finance and has given me several helpful pointers that have improved my stock portfolio. I googled her and could not find her on LinkedIn which has seriously made me feel like I either don't have her real name or she's very secretive. When we were dating, I introduced her to all my friends and family while she only took me to her sister's wedding and I briefly met her parents and siblings. I have yet to meet any of her colleagues and we'll be getting married next year. Additionally, she even didn't want to sign a prenup because she would have to disclose her finances and that made her uncomfortable, I didn't push after she said that.

I may seem like I am overreacting but she was diagnosed with ASPD as a teen which from what I know is a disorder that identifies someone as a sociopath. She's incredibly beautiful and the love of my life, but knowing that she has this disorder according to her, I feel very cautious. I sometimes doubt that she has it because she's the most charismatic person I know and that disorder describes someone as anti-social. I feel really lost and I am not sure how to approach a conversation, how do I ask her about her job so she will tell me the truth? Is it even something legal? Does her disorder make her more secretive?

tl;dr: My fiancee doesn't share any information about her job despite having an extravagant lifestyle, she has ASPD and is yet to introduce me to her friends. How do I discuss all of this with her without being confrontational?

Update: My fiancee(27F) doesn't want to tell me anything about her job after two years of being engaged to me(32M)

quote:

I wanna start out by thanking everyone that gave me geniune advice, I have been able to read all the comments/Private Messages and a lot of people gave me some much needed perspective.

For those of you who couldn't wrap your heads around how little I knew about her finances, I'd like to elaborate a bit to try to at least give you guys some idea of how I have overlooked so much. My fiancee and I dated for 6 months prior to getting engaged, she told me she didn't see the need to discuss her finances with "just a boyfriend" and said multiple times it wasn't anything illegal(it is). At that time, I could understand why she'd want to hide the details of how she makes her money from me because I wasn't her husband nor did I have any right to know, I wasn't financially committed to her and vice versa. When we got engaged, there was just a period of time where her telling me she's in finance basically covered over all the cracks. Sure that's vague but one commenter guessed the city I live in....there are A LOT of people in finance in my area. I didn't ask for details and she reenforces that every time she gave me some solid advice on the market.

Finally the update: After reading all the comments, I searched up PI(s) near me. A bunch came up and I had to find one that was efficient, our city is on lockdown because we're in a hotspot but I wanted someone that could still do their work. I called around and left messages. One got back to me pretty quickly and told me he always keeps his work phone on him because it's efficient, liked the attitude and gave him all the information I had. Someone suggested on my Original Post to reverse image search her Instagram which led me to another Instagram with a different name, so I gave him both names. I gave him her age and her address as well. He guaranteed me he'd put a report together within 48hrs and not to tell her anything.

Yesterday he contacted me and asked me if I could run by the park, again because our city is on lockdown and my fiancee was cooking at my place. I ran out and we met up, he gave me a folder and told me "if you open this, you can't marry her." Which would later make sense but I didn't really know just know how much.

When I got back home, I walked in and just waited for my fiancee to be done cooking. Then I sat her down and asked her all the questions I needed to and let her know that I had done an investigation on her because there was a complete lack of transparency on her end, and I needed to know what I was getting myself into. She asked to look at the folder and looked it all over then said she'd willing to tell me everything since I'd found out shortly anyways.

She told me that originally, she graduated with an offer from an Investment Banking firm and she was gonna go that route, until a mentor of hers told her that he usually doesn't hire newly grades at his hedge fund but he'd make an exception for because he was fascinated with her ASPD. She went to work for him and realized very early on that she wasn't doing anything she went to school for, instead she was given a lot more leeway and basically told "do anything that brings in profit" directly from her boss. That's when he suggested she meet with a potential client and she found out that client was from a criminal organization (I know the name but I don't feel comfortable sharing that) and that he was giving her money to just to "clean" their money. He told her that over the years it has been difficult to work with an American that was able to compartmentalize enough to not consider the actions of their organization to get the funds to operate and that he was told by her boss that she probably could.

They made a deal and she offered to think of ways to launder their money. She said we met about a year or so later and I had given her an idea as a result of my work in real estate, to money launder through real estate. This makes sense because she'd ask me questions about colleagues and properties and which real estate lawyers were an "Honest Abe" which basically alluded to whether or not they were happy to report everything. Because she'd make her purchases in cash, she needed someone that wouldn't be tempted to consider that foul play and she told me that's how she got her apartment.

She told me she hadn't told me her real name but gave me her middle name but her right last name because she didn't want me knowing where she worked and eventually finding out that she barely does anything within her workplace. During our discussion, I asked her how faithful she has been and she told me she had slept around in the beginning of our relationship but eventually realized that to stay disease free, she'd have to commit to me and fight her "urges."

I appreciate her candor and it did all check out and she even offered up information that my PI was unable to give me. I don't think she loves me nor do I think she's capable of that, the fact that she became faithful only because she was scared of STDs makes me devastated. We broke off our engagement and a part of me just wishes I hadn't wasted the past couple of years of my life on her, I didn't think because I was attracted to her and didn't do my myself any favors in the process.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Hughlander posted:

The point isn't the merch, the point is the salon isn't going to make rent without a cash infusion since they've been closed by the state.

Yeah. My sister is a hairdresser, and I sent her some cash on venmo last week to make sure she can pay her mortgage. Some of her clients are pre-paying for 2020 services or doing contactless delivery of their special shampoos and poo poo. Service industry people are hosed right now.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If you're posting on reddit about your relationship, it's already over.

So if you're posting on reddit about relationship and also hiring a private detective to investigate your fiancée,

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fiancé moves in to only move out day after, missed his parents too much.

quote:

To keep it short and sweet,

My ex-fiancé moved in one day to finally start our lives together even though the virus had us cancel our wedding. On the same night that he moved in I find him crying and I do my best to comfort him. He told me that he missed his family A LOT and felt he did not say a proper goodbye. I won't lie this threw me off and got me a bit worried that a 23 year old man was crying like a little boy for his family. I mean, he was the one who insisted in living together regardless of having no oficial ceremony of our union. Next day I see him sad, distant and reclusive - no tears that night. The day after that I see him more sad and after a confrontation with a neighbor he breaks down and is now bawling for his family and that he DOES MISSES THEM A LOT, he felt like he broke his family apart. In that moment I did not comfort him and asked him if he really wanted to stay and he was conflicted but I could see he wanted to go back to his parents. So I gave him an ultimatum: if he left through that door we would be over.

And of course he left, literally rushed back into his parents house. It took him longer to move in than to move out.

So I dunno how to feel. I feel sad, broken and abandoned but at the same time responsible and like a failure, that I was too harsh not to find a middle point. But I mean, he chose me to make a new family and therefore he needed to be there for me, to take care (like he said) and not flee back home like a little boy.

TD;LR Fiancé insisted in living together to later move out and back to his parents house because he missed them a lot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

LadyPictureShow posted:

HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION

hawowanlawow posted:

bugsy is more of a nickname but lol @ only associating it with pokemon

I definitely think more of Bugsy Malone, lead character in the 1976 gangster musical comedy film of the same name

Play fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 4, 2020

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Propaniac posted:

My fiancee(27F) doesn't want to tell me anything about her job after two years of being engaged to me(32M)

Update: My fiancee(27F) doesn't want to tell me anything about her job after two years of being engaged to me(32M)

I feel like if you find out that your fiancee is laundering money for the mafia, you shouldn't publicly blab about it on reddit

Play posted:

HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION

She ain't got no self-esteem

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There's dodging a bullet and then there's being shoved out of the bullet's path by a global pandemic

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I found this one on reddit, why was it removed? What the hell mods (not SA mods you got other problems)

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Odd posted:

I found this one on reddit, why was it removed? What the hell mods (not SA mods you got other problems)

Have to guess but, it doesn't say her age or the relationship length, which are required by The Rules.
It also doesn't explicitly state question, just tells a story, which is against The Rules.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Love is rare

quote:

I [25F] found the love of my life [19M]. We've only been dating for 5 months and we have both made each other better and continue to do so. I'm willing to do anything for this man!!! I want to know if there are any other people out there that have found love like this. I have had many relationships with many good looking successful guys, but no one has ever made me feel this way. I just knew when I met him that I wanted him to be the one.

Also, it's been a little challenging to figure out if he feels exactly the same way about me. It is very hard to explain to him how I feel, because he is more logical and believes love is not just a feeling. We know we want to marry each other because we're scary perfect together (best friends/lovers). I just wanted to make a positive post and see if there are others out there in my shoes and how their relationships worked out.

Tldr; I am madly in love with my boyfriend and would like to know how to continue to make it better.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

cumshitter posted:

I didn't enjoy our sexless and joyless marriage either, Cheryl. Get over it.

How did you have a son if your marriage was sexless? Have you considered that he isn't yours biologically?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my mom that she is being selfish because she randomly passes out but continues to drive my 8 year old sister around and watch my 1 year old niece without my bother being aware of the medical problem?

quote:

In the past 12 years, my mom has passed out a total of 7 times. When she passes out, she slumps over losing all motor control and is out for around 10-15 seconds. The last time it happened, she passed out in the passenger seat while my dad was driving down the road, and then again a couple hours later while at a restaurant.

She is going to the doctor for tests, but so far they don’t know what it is or what causes it. They’ve done all sorts of tests ranging from MRIs, an EKG, and are even talking about implanting a long term variant of a heart monitor. My point in telling you that is to be fair is to paint them in the appropriate light. They are taking this situation seriously and are doing the best they can to figure out what the problem is and how they can fix it.

Last night, I got into an argument with both my parents. It started out with me expressing my concern for my mom and the reoccurring passing out. I then mentioned that she really shouldn’t be driving. I asked her what would happen if she passed out with my 8 year old sister in the car, or what if she passed out and ran into an innocent person. She basically responded and said, “How would you feel if someone tried to tell you that they were going to take your independence away from you?” My mom had admitted though that the doctor’s nurse had called her yesterday and told her that she shouldn’t be driving.

We then started talking about my brother’s one year old daughter. My mom said that if they told my brother that she was passing out randomly, they would stop letting her see their granddaughter. I told them that this was my brother’s decision to make, since it is his daughter, but that he at least had the right to know.

My dad butted into the conversation and told me that he doesn’t like “busy bodies” that get in the middle of other peoples business, and that this was none of my business so I should stay out of it.

This made me mad, because I am pretty close to my little sister and my brother’s family, and I know he would be absolutely pissed off if he found out she was holding this back from him. I told them both that they were being selfish, thinking only about the things that they would lose out on because of this problem (my mom’s independence and my brother refusing to let her watch their granddaughter).

They continued to rationalize it, talking about how infrequently it has happened over the past 12 years. I ended up getting mad, giving up, and walking off. I feel awful. I’m scared for my mom because I don’t know what this thing is, and I’m scared for my little sister and niece because they could be seriously harmed because of this. I need your feedback Reddit. AITA?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Propaniac posted:

I may seem like I am overreacting but she was diagnosed with ASPD as a teen which from what I know is a disorder that identifies someone as a sociopath... I sometimes doubt that she has it because she's the most charismatic person I know and that disorder describes someone as anti-social.

lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my mom that she is being selfish because she randomly passes out but continues to drive my 8 year old sister around and watch my 1 year old niece without my bother being aware of the medical problem?

Lmao, what a Boomer response when asked about endangering others.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for using home security cameras to expose my girlfriend’s gaslighting?

quote:

My GF Anne (25F) and I (25M) have been dating the past 5 years, since college. After graduation, we were semi-long distance, living close enough that we alternately visited almost every weekend. In 2018, Anne got a job in my city, and we found a place and moved in together.

Now’s a good time to mention the security cameras in our house: break-ins are unfortunately common where we live. We thus got some motion activated cameras, one of which has a view of our kitchen (to monitor the back door). The cameras only record when there’s motion so they can retain footage for a very long time. Anne of course knows this.

About a year ago, Anne started complaining I wasn’t contributing equally to chores. I’ve been obsessive about chores my whole life; growing up, not doing the dishes meant no videogames for a week. When I lived with roommates, I was always the chore Nazi, making drat sure we all stuck to our chore wheel. Anne is just as fastidious about chores, so we just naturally alternated who did what.

I’d just been brushing her remarks off, but over the last few months they’ve become much more aggressive, e.g. I was vacuuming and Anne said “look at you finally cleaning up around here!” I replied that we alternated vacuuming, to which she retorted “no, you’ve vacuumed maybe twice since I moved in.” Exchanges like this have been happening so frequently that I began to doubt my own recollection; am I not as clean as I thought?

Finally, she exploded at me last week. She said that having to stay home constantly over the past weeks exposed how little I do around the house, and that she didn’t move in just to be my maid. Questioning my own sanity, I spent a few hours going through the entire 1.5 year archive of security camera footage, and tallied the exact number of times the kitchen cam caught each of us doing dishes. Our cleaning supplies (vacuum/mop/etc.) are in the kitchen pantry, so I also tallied up how many times we grabbed cleaning stuff.

To my vindication, the tally showed that we indeed split chores equally. She vacuumed/mopped ~5 times more than I did; I did dishes ~20 times more than she did. Given that we vacuum/mop at least once a week and do dishes at least every day, these are insignificant differences over the year and a half we’ve lived together.

When I confronted Anne, she shrugged off her behavior as “remembering things differently,” but the real sin here was what I did, which she called an “unforgivable violation of her privacy,” akin to abusive stalking. She has broken up with me and is trying to move out, although obviously this is difficult due to current circumstances.

I’m totally heartbroken - Anne was the love of my life and I can’t believe she destroyed our relationship like this. To make matters worse, she told many of our friends, who are mostly siding with her! They’ve been texting me that what I did was creepy, abusive, controlling, invasive, etc. I’m at a loss; I’m beginning to think I’m the one who’s off base here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Propaniac posted:

I give this ozark spin-off a 2/10. Would not watch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DemoneeHo posted:

Get new friends.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

NTA she was just looking to breakup anyway.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for drinking coffee around my Mormon parents?

quote:

This is starting to become a real issue, and I want an impartial opinion. I'm 28, financially independent, and do not live with my parents. We also don't live in the same state, and my parents are moving soon to an even further state.

My parents now belong to the Jesus Christ Church of Latter-day Saints, or the Mormon church. I just call them Mormons. This is a fairly recent conversion, and NOT how I was raised at all. I was raised in a pretty typical Baptist church. Alcohol was a problem, but not really any other kind of food or drink. Coffee was practically a sacrament, and I was raised to have a high tolerance for caffeine. I'm not religious now and will not be joining any religion, but I love coffee, particularly iced coffee.

I drink in moderation, but not around my parents. Coffee however, is not something I limit. It started becoming a problem with their new conversion around Christmas, when I arrived on Christmas afternoon with an iced coffee, and they scolded me for "using drugs in front of the family". I laughed it off, and the rest of the day was fine.

I don't have a ton of interaction with my parents anymore, mostly because our worldviews have only become more and more estranged, but I was trying. I agreed to a video call with what I thought was just my parents. I had just finished making myself that new whipped coffee, and I had it on the table with me.

Turns out, it was a "join us" cult recruitment meeting. They asked me what I was drinking. I told them. Well, all hell broke lose. I might as well have had lines on the table. An old woman cried, parents were covering their kids' eyes. My own parents started crying and going into a guilt trip about my health (never mind that my own mother was feeding me coffee when I was 10, and drank pots of coffee at a time for most of her life). They wanted to hold an intervention, and all of these other things. I was disgusted with all of this, so I hung up without saying anything and tried to think about other things.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

quote:

"I [23 M] really don't lime my Girlfriend [24 F] of 1 year's habit of going barefoot in public. Am I being petty?

I [23 M] been dating my girlfriend [24 F] for about a year, and I really like her for the most part. She just has this one thing that I can't really get over. She goes barefoot EVERYWHERE. In stores, malls, movie theaters, restaurants, even the doctors office! She's actually gotten thrown out of a few places because of the no shoes no service policies, but she just makes a point not to go to those places that won't let her in with barefeet.

She says she does it because she hates shoes and that going barefoot is actually healthier. I don't like it because I thinks its gross (Her soles are jet black most of the time, all though shes does always wash them when she gets home) and I don't really like the attention she attracts when I'm with her. Everyone staring at the weird lady with no shows on. I admit I have social anxiety.

I've gently asked her to wear shoes but she refuses. Am I being silly? Or am I in the right when I think going barefoot in public is gross and weird?

TL;DR GF goes barefoot in public, I think its weird and gross."

This was posted in the last thread which I was just catching up on and as a barefooter myself it made me laugh. I support her :911:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a bearfooter

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for drinking coffee around my Mormon parents?

I know a few Mormons and this is a wild reaction.

Deffo hardcore cult Mormons here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

I know a few Mormons and this is a wild reaction.

Deffo hardcore cult Mormons here.

Recent converts are almost always the most hardline.