Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Before I bring my car back into the dealership...

My rear passenger seat on the driver's side's belt buckle (the thing that the seat belt attaches into) is underneath the webbing. I don't know how it happened, but I usually have a child's bucket seat on there, so I only use the anchors. I was going to switch into another baby seat today when I realized that the buckle isn't there anymore. I'm assuming that when my car flooded, they took out all the seats and did not make sure the buckle was above the webbing. I can't see how the buckle would slip underneath otherwise. I don't want to go back to the dealership if I can help it. Aside from cutting the webbing, is there a way I can fix this?

Sorry what is webbing? I'm sure whatever it is can be easily removed/unclipped/etc. same with the seats and you can just put stuff back the way you want it. Try a YouTube video for how to remove the rear seats but normally it's super easy. I think on all my cars it's been toolless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

In the crack underneath the black mesh cloth thingy.

I’m looking at videos online now. Now too fruitful ATM.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

obi_ant posted:

In the crack underneath the black mesh cloth thingy.

I’m looking at videos online now. Now too fruitful ATM.

Can you flip the bottom seat forwards to get at it, like if you were putting the rear seats down? I don't know what car you have, but I can do that on my '03 Jetta to get to the hatch above the fuel tank and stuff.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hella yeah guys. I got it! Just pulled that sucker a lot harder than I thought I needed to. The seat cousin came up

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Last October I decided it was time for my mid-life crisis car, so I traded in the 2014 Focus ST for a 2024 GLI 40th Anniversary Edition with a manual trans. Love it so far. However, last week I got a check engine light. Checked the code and it indicated an ignition fault on all four cylinders. Cleared the code and a week later it came back. Car is just about to hit 9000 miles. Seems awfully early to start having these problems. I have an appointment with a dealer on June 8th. What pagan god do I need to offer a sacrifice to?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

Update: The valve was left open and I was just slowly draining oil. They closed it, filled it up and I’m fine. But now I feel like I gotta call the place that did my oil change last week.

So:

- The original shop checked everything over, and let me know there's no damage. There was a leak from a faulter oil adapter, so they replaced the oil filter cap, which seems to have done the trick, but I'll keep an eye out. The smell was just burning oil from the leak.

- They did find some stuff that will eventually break down (axle shaft, control arm), but I'll probably get rid of the car before those need to be taken care of.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So let me get this straight, the opinion that "everything is fine" came from the shop that would have to pay if everthing was in fact not fine? Then they tried to upsell you?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Motronic posted:

So let me get this straight, the opinion that "everything is fine" came from the shop that would have to pay if everthing was in fact not fine? Then they tried to upsell you?

The place out of town that said a valve was uncovered was secondhand from someone at that shop's desk who wasn't a mechanic.

The original shop owner walked me through everything, and I've been going to him for almost 15 years with no problems. When I first reached out to him over the phone, he was fine to cover anything if it was a mistake or due to a faulty part under warranty, so he was up front from the start.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Red posted:

The place out of town that said a valve was uncovered was secondhand from someone at that shop's desk who wasn't a mechanic.

The original shop owner walked me through everything, and I've been going to him for almost 15 years with no problems. When I first reached out to him over the phone, he was fine to cover anything if it was a mistake or due to a faulty part under warranty, so he was up front from the start.

I think the point being made here is that you potentially ran your (relatively modern, therefore very tight tolerance'd) engine for a period of time greater than 5 seconds with an amount of oil that was low or near zero. It certainly got low enough to 1) trip a DTC / set a light and 2) you smelled it. If I understood your scenario correctly, that is...

Short of the OEM tearing apart the engine and checking every surface / etc, it's unfortunately one of those things where that engine is now suspect because of what happened to it. It's up to you to take your trusted shop owner's word and for all I know maybe they can borescope / look at stuff and say its good, but thinking about what potentially happened to your engine, you may want to hold them to a higher standard -- they have insurance.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

movax posted:

I think the point being made here is that you potentially ran your (modern, therefore very tight tolerance'd) engine for a period of time greater than 5 seconds with an amount of oil that was low or near zero. If I understood your scenario correctly, that is...

Short of the OEM tearing apart the engine and checking every surface / etc, it's unfortunately one of those things where that engine is now suspect because of what happened to it. It's up to you to take your trusted shop owner's word and for all I know maybe they can borescope / look at stuff and say its good, but thinking about what potentially happened to your engine, you may want to hold them to a higher standard -- they have insurance.

That's good advice - and I don't intend to drive this very far, since we plan to replace the car in the next month or so anyhow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Red posted:

At the end of a 2 hour drive, I get off my exit and a red OIL PRESSURE ENGINE OFF! light shows up, so I pull over, and I can hear a scraping noise. I get out and smell burning oil. I wait 10 minutes and coast as much as I can to the last 2 miles.

How hosed am I?

Edit: 2010 Golf, and I literally just had an oil change. Replaced the oil pump in DEC22.

This is the part that says "engine was damaged." Your rod bearings probably took the damage. Unless they pull the pan and remove the caps, you absolutely cannot tell what was damaged. Your oil may or may not have been glitter-fied to show some evidence, but yeah things are worse than they were previously.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

This is the part that says "engine was damaged." Your rod bearings probably took the damage. Unless they pull the pan and remove the caps, you absolutely cannot tell what was damaged. Your oil may or may not have been glitter-fied to show some evidence, but yeah things are worse than they were previously.

Thanks, I'll follow up with the shop about that in particular.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don’t really care whether the guy is your cousins wife’s brother in law or whatever you should stop taking your car there because they hosed up and then tried to kinda trick you in to thinking they made it right (which they did not). Go somewhere else that you can trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Red posted:

Thanks, I'll follow up with the shop about that in particular.

Also make note: when vehicle says "ENGINE OFF!" that doesn't mean coast and drive gently for any distance. That means "stop right loving now" and check the oil and get a tow if needed. It's cheaper than an engine, although still inconvenient.