Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
drat, I've been having fun. Rewriting my very old code which was, to my shame, done in JS for Unity. Rewriting it in C# with all the knowledge I've gained since then and it's an absolute joy to throw together functions in 1/10 of the code it took me previously, and a hell of a lot less time.
I've rewritten some code that used to literally keep me awake at night, trying to work out how to implement it properly. This is why I love game development so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Nition posted:

By the way re Overgrowth, I actually think it looks great, and apparently they are really, actually, seriously, finally working on the campaign now. But development did start in 2008.
It's a bummer that by the time it releases, what started as gorgeous graphics will have become "eh, I've seen way better."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Write my own engine? I'm an artist not a geeeeeeek

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
Yo, hi!

Wanted to XPost and say there is a GDC Goon Meet going on this year, like every year, and I at least made a thread for it, planning will take place soon, once some troops get in. My first year I did it I didn't xpost, but I have been told by GetWellGamers that now Xposting is the cool thing to do, so, hi! Are you going to GDC? Post in this thread, lets eat some mexican or other food and quaff some beverages!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699801

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Shalinor posted:

It's a bummer that by the time it releases, what started as gorgeous graphics will have become "eh, I've seen way better."

Was it every really about the graphics though? Maybe I'm missing something but I always felt like the combat system was the only thing about those games that really mattered and everything else was kinda secondary. Not saying the graphics are bad but Lugaru and Overgrowth have a sparse look that I thought was on purpose.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Shindragon and I finished up a game for the JamGame - Dog Watch! A game where you try to suppress your instinct to bark at everything by playing keyboard twister and holding down keys. It was fun, and I love the art and the mechanics.

http://sharpenedspoon.itch.io/dog-watch

There are things that are missing (sound, juice), things that can be done better (better difficulty ramp, player feedback, misc polish); but honestly I didn't have any time for that stuff, and planned for it not to be in there, in favor of finishing the original scope of the game - which I did, 100%! So it's not a perfect game, but it is the perfect thing to have gotten me out of a lack-of-dev funk that I've been in for a while.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Uh oh... Maybe I should learn Futile?

Write everything in QBasic. :v:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

+1 for futile :p

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Was it every really about the graphics though? Maybe I'm missing something but I always felt like the combat system was the only thing about those games that really mattered and everything else was kinda secondary. Not saying the graphics are bad but Lugaru and Overgrowth have a sparse look that I thought was on purpose.
This may be an age thing, but I clearly remember when Overgrowth was new, and it was GORGEOUS. Like, legit, meeting or exceeding AAA at the time kind of stuff. This was when I was a baby graphics programmer, working on Idyllon. Their graphics engine was second to none at the time, and they were doing some really, really cool toolset work to boot. Unfortunately, then they apparently spent the next 8 freaking years on tools or something, and the game just kept looking worse compared to the things that were actually releasing. :(

There was DEFINITELY a time when they were really, really proud of the graphics. Really really. But it's long enough ago I doubt you could google the articles.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The bloodstain shader still looks really, really good. Everything else is starting to look a bit dated, though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Coldrice posted:

+1 for futile :p

I use Unity+ex2D, but I'm weird like that. Futile ftw.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I apparently had no idea how long Overgrowth has been in development. :psyduck: I guess considering how Lugaru dev went I shouldn't be surprised though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I apparently had no idea how long Overgrowth has been in development. :psyduck: I guess considering how Lugaru dev went I shouldn't be surprised though.
Does anyone have an inside scoop on how they survive? I mean early on, Overgrowth was the first real story of alpha funding success, but... SURELY it isn't still selling that amazingly. is it? Really? Even a little bit?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Does anyone have an inside scoop on how they survive? I mean early on, Overgrowth was the first real story of alpha funding success, but... SURELY it isn't still selling that amazingly. is it? Really? Even a little bit?
They run the Humble Bundle.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Didn't the Overgrowth devs start Humble Bundle?

edit: gah, beaten.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
They also only have two full-time devs I think.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Rabbit Punching guys own Humble? What the hell?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha drat I had no idea about that. Welp congrats to them then.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Shoehead posted:

The Rabbit Punching guys own Humble? What the hell?
I have reeaaallly vague memories of it, I guess. Their ancient site was alive back then, and, yeah, there you go. No idea if they still run it, or if they handed it off / got bought out, or what, but it makes sense. Thanks! minor mystery solved.

I think they're ALSO involved with the Indie Fund, aren't they? Or am I crossing memories?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 17, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Haha drat I had no idea about that. Welp congrats to them then.

Wow, same. And yeah, I pre-ordered Overgrowth years ago, played around with the early alpha builds a bit, and then forgot about it. Got my Steam key a few years later, played around with it a bit, forgot about it again. Maybe I should check it out a third time, see how far the alpha's come :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time Overgrowth gets mentioned I think "oh yeah, that tech demo I saw a ways back" and then forget about it for two years until it shows up again.

Still looks like a tech demo. :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Every time Overgrowth gets mentioned I think "oh yeah, that tech demo I saw a ways back" and then forget about it for two years until it shows up again.

Still looks like a tech demo. :v:

Well, I mean, now it's a tech demo with an endless arena mode. When it actually manages to launch.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of graphics, where the heck do you get started? I've been trying to take games I like and consciously break down what was accomplished with textures versus shading versus lighting and so forth, and 90% of the time I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. Is there any kind of generalized guide in the form of "Here is every basic graphics element that modern games use, here's how most people use them to complement each other, here are several dozen books on advanced usage"?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

They got a ridiculous amount of venture capital to launch humble bundle and humblebundle prints money.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wow, same. And yeah, I pre-ordered Overgrowth years ago, played around with the early alpha builds a bit, and then forgot about it. Got my Steam key a few years later, played around with it a bit, forgot about it again. Maybe I should check it out a third time, see how far the alpha's come :v:

This is how I felt about Cortex Command

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Shoehead posted:

This is how I felt about Cortex Command
Cortex Command would be AWESOME... with an online mode :ughh:

(I understand why it's hard, but, AGH, it's just this seemingly tiny step away from greatness)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I heard that the studio was just funnelling all of the money toward a side project (Auteuria? Auteur Eon? Something like that) that had nothing to show for it after two years except for half of a cave wall texture and some janky boob jiggle physics.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Are you sure that's Wolfire? I can't find anything about that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nition posted:

Are you sure that's Wolfire? I can't find anything about that.

Wait holy poo poo that was a real game we were talking about

I thought it was like one of those in joke things that happen from time to time where we talk about seven different slow-rear end game studios at once and pretend they're all the same thing

I should have googled it

E: It's just that Overgrowth is the perfect name for an engine that starts to grow out of control is all, I thought that was the joke

Somfin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 17, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
To be fair my original comment was both a joke and real. Also I thought your joke was real so that probably makes it even.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nition posted:

To be fair my original comment was both a joke and real. Also I thought your joke was real so that probably makes it even.

It was a paraphrasing of the fate of Silicon Knights.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

We have been doing all kinds of things with Stupid Survivor since last time I posted something.

One of the main complaints people seemed to have was that the fire looked boring, so our art guy redrew that. We have also started filling out all the empty rooms that we had with furniture and some details. Turns out that the game looks best on a mobile phone! Here's a new screenshot:

We have also added the firewoman that I asked opinions on earlier. This is what she'll (probably) look like in the game:

We're now also on greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279235506

Here's our greenlight page image:

Tac Dibar fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 17, 2015

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I love that box art :D

My one criticism of the fire-woman (here we go again!) is the walk cycle, that is the legs themselves. Can't really tell them apart and that doesn't help the illusion of walking. One classic approach to that would be to shade in the back leg juuuuust a hint.
Yeah, fire looks a lot better now. I think you still could use a lot more furniture/stuff on screen, looks like a lot of available real estate. But very pleased by the 50s aesthetic, bigups or whatever kids say these days.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, her walk cycle is just three frames now - I could increase it to six with darker hue on back leg.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

supermikhail posted:

You're probably right, but... hnng. Must resist...

I did about two hours of coding today (with interruptions), and the... game doesn't do anything new except in the console. But there's about 20 new lines of code, so I guess it's progress... I... don't feel fulfilled. :( I hope it grows on me, since supposedly now the progress is going to be steady instead of staggered.

I know this is a couple pages back, but the trick I've found is to just try to do small things, as often as possible. Slamming out huge slabs of code is satisfying as hell, but if you can make sure that every other day or so you put something in place- even just a tiny thing- then you can feel good about it and have constant reasons to celebrate. Tonight, I adjusted my new AI system to make sure that interrupts can theoretically work, and did a quick proof of concept- smacking a friendly AI with a weapon now makes them attempt to move toward you for ten ticks, no matter what they were doing before. That's all I've done. It's a short tweak, probably about fifteen lines of code or so. But it's a thing that I wasn't sure my engine could do and now I know it can. If you can break a big thing into parts and just pick your way through the parts a little at a time, proving them to yourself, then you'll sustain that momentum.

And feel good about the little things. Every little step is a bit of progress, even if it feels like nothing. If it's doing the right thing, if it's a step in what could be the right direction, then it's worth a small celebration. Even just a fist-pump and a grin.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Oh precious katana posted:

Here's our greenlight page image:

This is the coolest box art.

Someone suggested on the IRC (Everdraed?) that I add some screen shake to collisions to make impacts feel "meatier."

No idea how I did this...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Someone suggested on the IRC (Everdraed?) that I add some screen shake to collisions to make impacts feel "meatier."

Yes! More glitches please!

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

That's pretty great, actually! Makes me think of some theater where the scenery is being changed on the go. Maybe that's your theme? "Theater Adventures": Remember your lines! Knock out your co-actors! Dodge dropped scenery!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Welp, this is all I could think about. http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/42noGxA.gif&v=Oy8dVZ5r_kU&s=14

I mean, it fits. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Cya later parallaxlords.

Also I think I'm going to start a new game. I want to start a new game.