Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The latest joke with sending exploding phones to critics seemed pretty good, but its been a long while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Tumblr of scotch posted:

No, it did used to be good. There was a time when it was just general surrealist humor. These days it's just smug hipster superiority with the occasional "LGBT people sure are funny, amirite?"

Don't forget the monthly "selfie" joke.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (December 12-13, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

And the relationship drama that we've been building up to for months just withers and dies in the gutter between two daily strips. That's expert storytelling right there.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (February 3-4, 1930)

Thimble Theater (June 28 and 30, 1930)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Mind, I'm well aware of the stupid stuff like that theory where gravity is all matter doubling, or the Dilbert shaped house he lives in. I just don't remember anybody being all that harsh on him until his political opinions started to go against the popular grain.

To me, the completely nonpolitical reason that Dilbert is a less good comic than it used to be is that Adams is now fabulously wealthy and successful and has, as a result, lost touch with the pointless drudgery that made Dilbert relatable to so many American office workers.

I originally wrote a longer post, but what it boils down to is that Dilbert is simply a better comic when Dilbert is a loser who can't win. If he's constantly getting rad :iceburn: on the PTB and his other inferior coworkers, it's less sympathetic.

Adams' politics and/or weird spiritual beliefs are just extra fuel to bitch about, but they're not the core problem with modern Dilbert.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dilbert is still good more often than not, at the very least delivering consistently serviceable punchlines.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set coordinates colors.

Working Daze is more invested in a TV show than its kid.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix needs to watch its mouth.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Presumably this is the part where Ronan sees MJ and falls in love and kidnaps her away to become his... well, whatever the equivalent of "Queen" is in the Accusing business.

Yep, but not before she actually does call the Avengers so they can save the day while Spidey watches.

Also:

:stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This whole storyline is just a psa, isn't it?

A lot of Rex Morgan plots are.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

Is the guy who does Piranha Soup 102 years old or something?
He's about 72 years old, but his sense of humor is about 20 years older than that.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

And the relationship drama that we've been building up to for months just withers and dies in the gutter between two daily strips. That's expert storytelling right there.

Credit where credit is due, I did not expect Batiuk of all writers to go with the "this would all be easily resolved if people just explained things to each other" option. I'd call it an amusing twist on the formula if I didn't suspect that it's actually just being shoved aside for something even more tedious.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

Credit where credit is due, I did not expect Batiuk of all writers to go with the "this would all be easily resolved if people just explained things to each other" option. I'd call it an amusing twist on the formula if I didn't suspect that it's actually just being shoved aside for something even more tedious.

That, and it seems to be going for a look at how this poo poo is always harder on the girl, which is interesting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm loving how pleased the Phantom is with his own joke, that no one else even heard. I'm just imagining him back in the skull cave writing his journal:

"... and then I asked them if they get carsick in the back seat, which was funny because they were still unconscious..."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Whatevs, now take that bowl of mashed potatos back to kitchen and don't call me until dinner is served."

Tiggum posted:

I'm loving how pleased the Phantom is with his own joke, that no one else even heard. I'm just imagining him back in the skull cave writing his journal:

"... and then I asked them if they get carsick in the back seat, which was funny because they were still unconscious..."

I like how it looks like Phantom is not so much punching the guy as he's just running really fast with his fist protruded. :cool:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 11, 2016

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 3-4, 1930)

WickedHate posted:

You don't have to be politically attuned to be invested in the messages of the show, but if your complaint is "the kid's are annoying" you're not paying attention to the right things. You're not supposed to take Riley seriously.

So it sucks... got it. I already figured that out.

I heart bacon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 11, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 1, 1994)

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Dark Side of the Horse

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. Especially if they have to work the next day.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

This is why I stick with Radio Patrol - nipple-free beefcake.

Evil Mastermind posted:

gently caress this horrible comic. gently caress it right in the spleen.

Changes "Well blow me down!" into "Well? Blow me. Down!"

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom (panel)

Jordan is moonlighting.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (August, 1915, click for big)

:)

Illustrated Comical Joke (1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (February, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (August, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (November, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BigDave posted:

He had more control then you probably think.

Here's some 'behind the scenes' stuff from the DVD pack. Don't ask how I got these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAx93enoxT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BXBLYA0ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtoNSNw9iw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hnz1rRI0DY

I'm basing that off of a half remembered and possibly false thing about him grumping about things he wasn't allowed to do :shobon:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I don't normally post Sunday Luann, but I guess this time I kind of have to. Notice the Evanses got an invite:

jackreacher posted:

This has to be the best wedding ever.

I am one happy guest in absentia.

The Amazing Spider-Man

:perfect:

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

:catstare:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't normally post Sunday Luann, but I guess this time I kind of have to. Notice the Evanses got an invite:

Also Gernice and Bunther. Way to stick with your dumb rear end plot points Evanses.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Batman and Robin

Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Outland

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hoo boy, hindsight, huh.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

These hit way too close to home. :psyduck:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"The results are in: I'm afraid she's a Sarahpalegic."

Jungle Jim

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Weird, California only gives 1 drivers license point for failing to stop for a schoolbus. In most states it's in one of the top brackets

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Dr. Dos posted:

Am I misremembering Bizarro as being good? I don't remember it always being full of "These people are bad because they are doing an inconsequential thing I don't like"

I remember liking it when it ran in my paper back when I was around 15 or so. This would have been mid 00's.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Everyone in this scene is a body snatcher trying to fool all the others by behaving as the humans do

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

I like to imagine that Mary Worth is a Mad-Lib and all the bold words are the ones someone picked.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used to read Brenda Starr that way.

edit - Well that and pulling out the coded messages.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

I've been reading this thread since the earliest FOOB days. I don't 'enjoy' Working Daze, Dilbert, modern Mark Trail, and umpteen other things, but Working Daze DOES have its origin in print media. It's only a single panel, and frankly it's perfectly slotted just after a dose of Dinette Set.

Print origins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Daze

Additionally, Zakour worked with Roberts on the Rugrats comic strip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Daze

There's no reason to stop posting it, as far as I can tell. Also, honestly, with print on the decline most artists are likely to be digitally syndicated?

Here's an example of Zakour helping on the Rugrat team.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mea Culpa fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 12, 2016

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Also, a big shout out to Evil Mastermind for providing the extra punchlines!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Usually the long, drawn-out repetition of one of Mary's lectures drives me crazy, but I could genuinely read a whole month's worth of her telling Iris to ride that 25 year old like a pony.

The only way this could get better is if Iris goes out to dinner with Zak, it does lead to "something more," and we discover that it's been so long since she's been with anyone other than Wilbur that she thinks foreplay involves talking about your favorite sandwiches.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WickedHate posted:

Honey Come Chatka

Well, I guess I know what I'll have stuck in my head for the rest of the day. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

edit

• Locked thread