Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Vandar posted:

I was a Dark Angel fan anyway and that got canceled to make room for Firefly so I'm predisposed to disliking the series anyway. :v:

You have good taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

plucky, heroic human traffickers
See also the proto-Serenity crew in Alien Resurrection (w. Joss Whedon). Hmm. Hmmmm.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Len posted:

The best episode of Dollhouse was dvd only and was set in the far future during the apocalypse. Why didn't they just start there instead of being about a brothel

It would also help if they had started by finding a completely different leading actress.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even Morena Baccarin's character seems like the fantasy of a man desperate to make the idea of buying sex acceptable to himself, and nothing about her job is ever really shown from her point of view. I think every time she's shown doing any part of her job, it's her helping some sensitive, introverted white boy become more confident or grow in a positive way, even though she's one of the main characters on the show and she's having sex with people who never show up again.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

With a choice between the two, they cancelled Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles to keep that poo poo on the air.

I'm still mad.

Kloaked00 posted:

You have good taste

I think I've mentioned it in other threads but part of me wants to do a rewatch and part of me is scared it won't hold up. :negative:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whedon really administered the killing blow to Firefly with that corny rear end theme song he wrote the lyrics to. I cringed everytime. Like he heard the theme to ST:Enterprise and thought "what if that but countrified instead of butt-rock, and even shittier?"

I read that as TNG and now I’m wondering what lyrics to their theme song would be.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dinosaurs! posted:

I read that as TNG and now I’m wondering what lyrics to their theme song would be.
Space, we're in space, we're in space
We're flying around on some kind of star trek

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You guys talk more about Joss Whedon than any other community I know

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hmm, yes, I wonder why we'd be talking about the creator of a show that's supposedly getting a reboot... :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
josh dweebon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

josh dweebon

Legitimate Star wars name

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

Hmm, yes, I wonder why we'd be talking about the creator of a show that's supposedly getting a reboot... :v:

As of right now it's getting a reboot in the same way the Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming out soon. Only in rumor and blogposts

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dinosaurs! posted:

TNG's theme does have song lyrics:

Patrick Stewart posted:

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before!

Unfortunately, William Shatner and Patrick Stewart both refused Roddenberry's request to sing the words along with their respective title themes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47BvTl8-64w

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3F-C-rDVtU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Klowner posted:

TNG's theme does have song lyrics

The original 1966 Star Trek theme really did have lyrics written for it, which were never used:

quote:

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand’ring in star-flight
I know
He’ll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.

Roddenberry added lyrics so he only had to pay out 50% of the song royalties to the composer, even though they didn't end up using the lyrics in the actual theme
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/unthemely-behavior/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The original 1966 Star Trek theme really did have lyrics written for it, which were never used:

Roddenberry added lyrics so he only had to pay out 50% of the song royalties to the composer, even though they didn't end up using the lyrics in the actual theme
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/unthemely-behavior/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAo5VuSibOM

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A cinematic universe of Vampire: The Masquerade and related games is coming (again?)

quote:

A world of vampires, werewolves and wizards is on its way to screens big and small.

Married writer-producers Eric Heisserer (“Shadow and Bone”) and Christine Boylan (“The Punisher”) and production company Hivemind (“The Witcher,” “The Expanse”) have partnered with game publisher Paradox Interactive to develop the World of Darkness story universe for film and television.

Launched in 1991 with the tabletop roleplaying game “Vampire: The Masquerade,” the World of Darkness universe includes other properties like “Werewolf: The Apocalypse,” “Mage: The Ascension,” “Orpheus,” and “Hunter: The Reckoning,” and has expanded to video games, comic books, novels, virtual reality and card and board games. From the outset, the franchise has set itself apart in the world of science-fiction/fantasy by putting players inside the shoes — or claws, or wings — of a vast and interconnected coterie of monsters who live amongst humanity, and then forcing them to make complicated moral decisions about how to slake their character’s darkest urges.

Heisserer is currently the showrunner and executive producer of “Shadow and Bone” for Netflix, and he was nominated for an Oscar for his screenplay of the 2016 sci-fi feature “Arrival.” He’s also written “Bird Box,” “Lights Out” and his directorial debut, “Hours.” Boylan has written on several TV series, including “The Punisher,” “Cloak and Dagger,” “Constantine,” “Once Upon a Time,” “Castle” and “Leverage.” She’s also written DC and Marvel comic books, and she’s a co-founder of Bespoke Plays, a live-reading series of new plays in L.A. and New York.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/world-of-darkness-eric-heisserer-christine-boyland-vampire-werewolf-1234961512/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn't the long-awaited sequel game just get delayed indefinitely?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe they're ripping off the Underworld series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe they're ripping off the Underworld series.

They should bring in 2021 Tony Blair as their Viktor Corvinus analogue.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Roddenberry was one horny creep

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Eric Heisserer used to be a goon, I believe. On the old Black List podcast he was interviewed about Arrival and he briefly mentioned posting here.

I had a ton of fun playing Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines back in the day. Kind of tempted to go back to it from this news. Kindred: The Embraced was also kind of fun in a very 90s shlocky way.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I wonder if anything from Swedracula will makes it’s way into any of this.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Len posted:

The best episode of Dollhouse was dvd only and was set in the far future during the apocalypse. Why didn't they just start there instead of being about a brothel

Because Joss Whedon wrote the series single handedly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally the Kindred: the Embraced reboot we were all waiting for.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo I just had flashbacks to the mid-2000s.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Vandar posted:

Holy poo poo I just had flashbacks to the mid-2000s.

https://picard.ytmnd.com/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

I wonder if anything from Swedracula will makes it’s way into any of this.

Considering they purged the entirety of White Wolf because of the controversy I sincerely doubt it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Considering they purged the entirety of White Wolf because of the controversy I sincerely doubt it.

Releasing a supplement so bad it caused an international incident might genuinely be the dumbest thing a TTRPG company has ever done.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Len posted:

The chemical that kills your rapist is a thing someone came up with

They then carried that thought out to "she was found surrounded by dead men"

What is this now? I don't remember this at all from watching the show a decade ago, and asking here seems like a better idea than googling 'firefly rape drug'.

Also if Hivemind manages to make a White Wolf show half as good as the Expanse I will be a very happy nerd. I feel very strongly that they should set it in the 90s, both because the game itself reeks of that decade, and because they won't have to deal with all the cellphone/social media problems that would kind of turn it into 'What We Do In the Shadows' played straight.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Leatherhead posted:

What is this now? I don't remember this at all from watching the show a decade ago, and asking here seems like a better idea than googling 'firefly rape drug'.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

Executive Producer Tim Minear posted:

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she’s been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that’s the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, ‘These are the kind of stories we’re going to do.’

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 28, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

Releasing a supplement so bad it caused an international incident might genuinely be the dumbest thing a TTRPG company has ever done.

Hahaha, what did they do?

Edit:
Also where is my favorite WoD character?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 28, 2021

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Noooooo

E: Man all these commenters from 2012 wondering how Joss could make such a bad call

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 28, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, what did they do?

Dunno if it counts as an "international incident" but I am guessing it was when they claimed in a VtM source book that the LGBTQ persecution in Kosovo was actually a "distraction" to prevent people from finding out the nation is crawling with vampires.

EDIT: Oh right, it was Chechnya. My bad.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 28, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Dunno if it counts as an "international incident" but I am guessing it was when they claimed in a VtM source book that the LGBTQ persecution in Kosovo was actually a "distraction" to prevent people from finding out the nation is crawling with vampires.

I think it was Checnya, and it somehow rose to the level of their strongman governor bitching about it demanding “action.”

Either way, it was what led to the parent company bringing down the hammer on White Wolf.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apparently they also added options for allowing one of the vampire clans to explicitly dress up as neo-nazis which didn't exactly help their case at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It just sounds like something an edgy teenager would write. It's so bad in every single way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are the people that wouldn't shut up about Firefly for 10 years Firefly fans, or Joss Whedon fans?

I think the last time I saw someone in the wild who was openly still pining for Firefly to come back was 2013, which seems like a very long time to hang onto some false hope like that. Like I can understand like 2 or 3 years, but once you hit the decade mark, it's just plain sad.

Then again we did get a good Star Trek reboot in the 80's :shrug:

Len posted:

It just sounds like something an edgy teenager would write. It's so bad in every single way

The thing is they show that stupid syringe, a couple times I think, and I guess it was intended to be one of those mysteries where you're supposed to wonder why she just fondles it every time things get bad. I just assumed it was supposed to be for suicide.