Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

DS3 is incredible. Especially at the point you're at. I hope you got the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, too, since it's got 2 awesome bosses and major Bloodborne vibes.

I will always appreciate the DS3 dlc; it's the closest Miyazaki can get to physically breaking into your house and shrieking if you get it yet while shaking you like a madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m in Chapter 4 of FFXV and the game seems very interested in expanding the world for all of CH3 and than dramatically reducing the scale and forcing me to find my own car. Should I just power through Story missions to get back my whip and enjoy the open world?

I don’t remember any more when chapters happen or how the DLC has affected the main game but way back when at some point the story abandons the car entirely.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Two hours in, but Rise of the Tomb Raider seems pretty good! It definitely has Metroidvania vibes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

Well there are some rumors that Control might be getting a movie adaptat--

No... not like that...

This genuinely saddened me because I always mix up the names Gareth Edwards, director of Monsters, Godzilla, and Rogue One, with Gareth Evans, director of The Raid, and The Raid II, and Apostle. And hooooooly loving poo poo would I kill for a Control adaptation directed by the latter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Control being lit and shot like a Korean horror movie would be so unbelievably cool good lord I’m weeping.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I stand firm that Remedy hasn't ever made a good game

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Standing Wrong
Standing Strong

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RBA Starblade posted:

Only great ones, agreed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kilometers Davis posted:

Only great ones, agreed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I agreed with that right up until Control. They finally did it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Max Payne 2 you dumb fucks!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Lobok posted:

EB Games and Best Buy are totally out of stock in store and online of the Back Button Attachment and Amazon.ca has it but for sixty goddang dollars for some reason. Guess I won't be getting it for a while!
Southern Ontario didn't get a shipment. I searched Walmarts in Burlington and went to Bestbuy and Ebgames flagship shops in Toronto. They all said they never got the shipment. My amazon preorder updated to first week of feb. The sixty dollar ones are people posting on Amazon marketplace.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Housh posted:

Southern Ontario didn't get a shipment. I searched Walmarts in Burlington and went to Bestbuy and Ebgames flagship shops in Toronto. They all said they never got the shipment. My amazon preorder updated to first week of feb. The sixty dollar ones are people posting on Amazon marketplace.

What the gently caress? That's so weird when my Maritime rear end got them promptly.

I'd flip you my extra one, but with shipping costs it's probably not really worth it when you can probably just wait a week and get it for normal price.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Housh posted:

Ah yeah, I don't go on Amazon much and I always forget how they present items from people other than them.

univbee posted:

What the gently caress? That's so weird when my Maritime rear end got them promptly.

I can feel the Centre of the Universe arrogance welling up in me. The GTHA region alone has a population of--!

No Lobok, don't go down that road. Don't be that guy who justifies the Toronto hate. It's not even a controller. It's like a third of a controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lobok posted:

I can feel the Centre of the Universe arrogance welling up in me. The GTHA region alone has a population of--!

No Lobok, don't go down that road. Don't be that guy who justifies the Toronto hate. It's not even a controller. It's like a third of a controller.

Yeah but that doesn't explain why Amazon shipped mine but not Housh's, Amazon doesn't care how dense your neighborhood is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I pity the people who started on Remedy with Alan Wake. I think I made it in this thread but see my previous posts regarding Max Payne 2.

Quantum Break isn’t good though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I pity the people who started on Remedy with Alan Wake.

You're not a real gamer if you didn't start with Death Rally

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

AllisonByProxy posted:

This new photo mode they added in the KH3 DLC is too much fun.

:perfect:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh I forgot about Death Rally.

Okay, one good game

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

VVVVV

Kilometers Davis posted:

Only great ones, agreed.

VVVVV

VVVVV

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:hmmyes:

Necrothatcher posted:

I agreed with that right up until Control. They finally did it!

VVVVV

Death Rally, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Alan Wake and Control are loving top tier.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alan Wake loving sucked

I gave up on Max Payne 2 but I apparently hit that bug where the more you reload the more impossible it gets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Alan Wake was OK and taught me a lot about reliable cell phone service and battery brands

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Alan Wake was OK and taught me a lot about reliable cell phone service and battery brands

In its defense its got a good Bad Seeds song in it so that gives it at least a couple points

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Not sure if posted but according to a study PlayStation has the biggest brand loyalty of the big three.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if posted but according to a study PlayStation has the biggest brand loyalty of the big three.

Bah, Playstation fans never really had their loyalty tested.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
SONY’s biggest fuckup in the last decade was just “getting hacked”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd expect MS to be lower considering how many of us jumped ship

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This is propaganda intended to stoke divisions among gamers to the benefit of our common enemy: the chore-responsibility complex (parents, spouses, teachers, bosses, etc)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Approaching the end of Judgement. It's always a little bittersweet playing these games when all the sub-stories start to wrap up and you know the end is near. I'm just glad I was able to help that big-boobed hostess reach her dreams :unsmith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I try not to be a fanboy but Sony has earned it over the last 5 years imo. Save for some hardware issues I really couldn't be happier with PS4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Made some improvements. Honestly not sure why I didn't think of this first.

Also:

https://twitter.com/AllisonByProxy/status/1220809520454258688

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I feel another major factor is how relatively inconsistent the other platforms are.

Nintendo consoles are a rollercoaster. Starting from the NES which was THE defacto standard to the SNES which while was a worthy successor found itself in direct competition with a rival platform. While SNES was still seen as the primary platform at the end of the generation being the king of many genres, the same can't be said about the N64 as it had far less third party support and was seriously lacking outside of platformers, sports, and FPS titles.

The GameCube made things even worse because while third party support improved a tad, it lost out on being the powerhouse system as well as the system for FPS titles.

The Wii was a huge departure for Nintendo, the company's main target was non-gamers and it became a family system rather than one primarily for core gamers and children. It also had a very divisive control scheme.

I literally don't need to bring up the Wii U at all. It's self explanatory. However, with the Switch, Nintendo really laid back in it's experimental control schemes and decided to invest in a hybrid console where you can play your favorite games anywhere.

So looking at it, pretty much every Nintendo console is very different from one another, so a successor my alienate previous users, while a theoretical new console might be met with understandable skeptism.

In contrast, Sony consoles have little variability. The PlayStation was the market leader that had every genre under the sun covered. The PlayStation 2 was the defacto market leader that had every genre under the sun covered. The PlayStation 3 saw Sony fall as the market leader, but it still met the criteria as a console to purchase if you wanted to play every type of game with current gen technology. The PlayStation 4 was a return back to form, with the added advantage of it not only bring cheaper than it's competition, but also having better technology as well.

Microsoft on the other hand always finds their main selling point changing, despite also being in the game of selling current generation titles under modern technology. The Xbox was marketed as THE powerhouse gaming system. It's library wasn't as big as the PS2, but it made up for it in having the best ports and best looking exclusives as well. The Xbox 360 was the defacto console of the previous generation as it had nearly every game on it, with it performing the best on it to boot (thanks to it's relatively ease to code for chipset). The Xbox One was a bit of a mess in the beginning, but is now being sold as the best way to experience your games with quality services in Xbox Live and Gamepass, as well as offering the most powerful SKU on the market.

TLDR: Brand loyalty is low with Nintendo consoles since you don't know what you are going to get. Brand loyalty is high with Sony consoles since all of their systems offer a very similar objective and philosophy of being the "defacto" console, in which they almost always acheive. Microsoft doesn't always have their house in order, and it shows, plus their consoles mostly seem to exist as the alternative to Sony's consoles.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Back paddle update: my hands hurt a little after playing Modern Warfare for an hour (binding L3/sprint & R3/Melee). It may just be a MW thing where I am pre-clenching my hands because it’s a pretty twitchy game. No pain during Bloodborne binding R3(lock-in) to the left paddle and circle(dodge/sprint) to the right paddle. It’s definitely going to take some getting used to. I still find myself often pressing the default buttons instead of the paddles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel another major factor is how relatively inconsistent the other platforms are.

Nintendo consoles are a rollercoaster.

Pretty much. When a Nintendo console is on a good streak I'm like "I love this thing! Nintendo rules!" and then they don't put out a single goddamn game I'm interested in for 2 years. Sony seems put out something top notch a couple of times a year. I wish Nintendo would match their consistency.

At least the Switch gets a lot of ports so it doesn't end up collecting as much dust while I'm waiting for the next good exclusive as most of my Nintendo consoles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pulcinella posted:

Back paddle update: my hands hurt a little after playing Modern Warfare for an hour (binding L3/sprint & R3/Melee). It may just be a MW thing where I am pre-clenching my hands because it’s a pretty twitchy game. No pain during Bloodborne binding R3(lock-in) to the left paddle and circle(dodge/sprint) to the right paddle. It’s definitely going to take some getting used to. I still find myself often pressing the default buttons instead of the paddles.

i was worried it'd be replacing one pain for another

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty much. When a Nintendo console is on a good streak I'm like "I love this thing! Nintendo rules!" and then they don't put out a single goddamn game I'm interested in for 2 years. Sony seems put out something top notch a couple of times a year. I wish Nintendo would match their consistency.

At least the Switch gets a lot of ports so it doesn't end up collecting as much dust while I'm waiting for the next good exclusive as most of my Nintendo consoles.

It's not really an issue that Nintendo lacks exclusives. Their consoles are almost always easily in the running for th best exclusive library in most generations. The thing is that people don't just factor in exclusives when purchasing a console, but the library as a whole.

Sure, Nintendo has phenomenal exclusives, but it also misses out on tons of titles. It's not meant to be a "defacto platform" where all the latest and greatest titles go. Sure things are improving due to developers pushing the boundaries with The Witcher 3 and the console being a darling to independent developers. But at the end of the day you won't find Cyberpunk or Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Switch.

In contrast, the PlayStation 4 will have everything you want to play. The exclusives are just icing on the cake to the lionshare of owners, and even that is gradually disappearing with Detroit on PC, and both Death Stranding and Horizon: Zero Dawn following suit.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A reminder that the ps3 only stumbled for the first half of its lifespan and mostly in the USA and UK. Globally it still beat Xbox 360.

It still sold more by the end of the generation and really improved its library in the second half of its lifespan.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

A reminder that the ps3 only stumbled for the first half of its lifespan and mostly in the USA and UK. Globally it still beat Xbox 360.

It still sold more by the end of the generation and really improved its library in the second half of its lifespan.

For the most part this is true. While it did improve in US and UK, it still got outsold by the Xbox 360 every year. The damage had been done. But yes, it did do better globally mostly due to Microsoft constantly tripping over their own dick in Asian markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m with aksplode. I am so loving sick of the constant call of duty updates blocking me from playing the game I almost just want to uninstall it. This last one is a joke. It’s like updates hidden within updates and I’ve been trying to play for 2 days but there is always another step. It’s loving inexcusable.