Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have the Chrystia Freeland quote handy?

The one about spending the billions to make it happen?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

supersnowman posted:

Removing the muzzle break would probably help since it would stop redirecting part of the gasses toward the crew but then the breach of a M777 probably strike the ground on the second shot because the first one blew up the fancy liquid nitrogen recoil system.

Yeah the gun would shake itself to pieces because the carriage is so lightly built. They've been working on a new muzzle brake since the mid 2000's to address existing problems of damage to the cradle (and crew) and another, bigger, one as part of the program to incorporate more titanium. They're working at cross purposes, but you can see the problem here.

The M777 was imo never intended to be the primary field gun, this is a problem of use, more than design. There are lots of weapons that are considered "traumatic", that you're only supposed to fire a few times in peacetime - Carl G, Eryx, the French APILAS etc. I believe the 106mm recoilless rifles and WOMBAT in particular were restricted in training because they were traumatic. It makes sense to me that M777 be treated that way, since it was the airborne/light infantry/chasseurs alpins/whatever gun. Fire reduced charges in training, preserve gun life and crew health.

Firing max charges all the time is just the result of no other modern guns being in inventory, and crews are paying the price.

The other part of firing max charges all the time is this bizarre argument I've seen during the Ukraine War that somehow "outranging" enemy artillery matters? They will just move their guns closer to you. Maximum range and high velocity were used for division/corps level guns (not gun-howitzers) tasked to counter battery missions, like the 175mm guns, 4.5 Inch guns, but for general support, you need to place your field guns within a few km of the troops you are supporting (so, in danger) in order for them to have the best coverage and ability to respond to emerging situations.

I guess that means casualties, and we can't have that, so... lol I don't know how our military thought ended up in all of these dead ends.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Jun 26, 2024

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

[Ukraine] Russian Gas Boycott: In Que for Russian Gas

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

WHAT AIR DEFENSE DOING 🤣🤣🤣

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Endman posted:

It was, yes. Most of the reason the British hosed around in Afghanistan so often is that they wanted a buffer between India and Persia (and therefore Russia). Every time the Persians or Russians made diplomatic overtures to the Afghans, the East India Company would poo poo themselves.

The British had plenty of influence in Persia btw, it wasn't just a Russian puppet, it is called the Anglo-Persian oil company for a reason. The British were needless antagonizing the Russians for the most part since there wasn't a real way for them to meaningfully get from Tebriz or Merv to anywhere.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:54 on Jun 26, 2024

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Half of the rip roaring yarns of Great Game adventure are about British spies going into Central Asia to stir up the tribes against Russia. Britain was always loving around there.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

So happy she's getting a peace prize.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

mawarannahr posted:

Two German-Russian dual nationals were arrested in Germany on suspicion of planning attacks on American military bases and other targets, shortly before caches of explosives were discovered buried along a special overland pipeline that supplies air force bases in Germany.

This last part is just Gladio though lol. Do they think the Russians buried those

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Back in the day, Spetsnaz had sleeper cells in NATO countries to hit the airbases on zero hour/assassinate NATO brass/sabotage tactical nuclear weapons, but iirc there was a negotiated withdrawal of them back to the Russian Federation in 1992 or something.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

lol I don't know how our military thought ended up in all of these dead ends.

After centuries of going along with imperial adventures there finally appeared too much of a chance of an unsurpressable proletarian revolt in response to using their lives for empire during the Vietnam war. Your beloved institutions finally couldn't throw limitless bodies into the furnace to fuel their anti-human desires anymore and have been desperately searching for alternatives ever since.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

that's way too many words for "normal industrial accident"

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Empire 2: (Subtitle TBD)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

I guess that means casualties, and we can't have that, so... lol I don't know how our military thought ended up in all of these dead ends.

It's a combination of History is over, we're only doing colonial wars against inferiors from now, and we can't have casualties because people don't like imperial wars when it means they also die, and no one is gonna sign up for the military thanks to neoliberalism corrding society and especially on top of it means they're really likely to get killed for nothing, and we're certainly not going to stop doing imperial wars so we come to this

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

KomradeX posted:

It's a combination of History is over, we're only doing colonial wars against inferiors from now, and we can't have casualties because people don't like imperial wars when it means they also die, and no one is gonna sign up for the military thanks to neoliberalism corrding society and especially on top of it means they're really likely to get killed for nothing, and we're certainly not going to stop doing imperial wars so we come to this

Truly the greatest minds are in charge. The perfect system. All they would have to do is avoid antagonizing three great land powers with large conventional and unconventional militaries at the same time. Child's play. The End of History can last forever as long as they don't have to militarily confront Russia, China, or Iran, and how could that ever happen?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://kyivindependent.com/north-korean-troops-fighting-in-ukraine-would-be-cannon-fodder-pentagon-says/

North Korean troops fighting in Ukraine would be 'cannon fodder,' Pentagon says

quote:

North Korean troops would become "cannon fodder" if they joined Russian forces on the battlefield in Ukraine, Pentagon spokesperson Pat Ryder said during a briefing on June 25.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a strategic defense agreement between Moscow and Pyongyang on June 19. As part of the alliance, the North Korean military has announced that its engineer unit would join Russian forces on the ground in Donetsk Oblast as soon as next month.

"I think that if I were North Korean military personnel management, I would be questioning my choices on sending my forces to be cannon fodder in an illegal war against Ukraine," Ryder said.

Ryder said that the accelerating military cooperation between North Korea and Russia, including the possible deployment of North Korean troops in Ukraine, is "something to keep an eye on."

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Imagining the (US) supreme allied commander of NATO not using the Estonian regiment to "heroically fight to the death" to cover a US brigade's retreat

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
So does that make North Korea the asiatic cannon fodder of the asiatic cannon fodder? Because otherwise it would imply that some Russians aren't being used in human wave attacks, and that just doesn't make any sense.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

North Korea fighting in Ukraine would be wild. lmao

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Holy poo poo SovKor is real!!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Imagining the (US) supreme allied commander of NATO not using the Estonian regiment to "heroically fight to the death" to cover a US brigade's retreat

This is what the rand paper wargaming out a war in the baltics suggests lol.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Finno-Korean HyperWar 2 incoming...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

this would lead to serious consequences for North Korea. America could (glances at control panel, sees that N Korean policy is set to maximum “punish”) ah nevermind. Well, this will lead to serious consequences for Russia then (glances back to control panel, eyes go wide)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Dokapon Findom posted:

Finno-Korean HyperWar 2 incoming...

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Jun 26, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gently caress, i suck at posting, ah well. Need more coffee this morning.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Best Friends posted:

this would lead to serious consequences for North Korea. America could (glances at control panel, sees that N Korean policy is set to maximum “punish”) ah nevermind. Well, this will lead to serious consequences for Russia then (glances back to control panel, eyes go wide)

btw one chinese military vlogger i saw claimed ansahallah weaponry tech is sourced more from NK compared to iranian

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://x.com/joni_askola/status/1805627975322173876?t=0XdUYL7e5fjsf7JO4oMIWg&s=19

https://x.com/joni_askola/status/1805627999171080421?t=GAAA-AYweycxEe85asLOyA&s=19

https://x.com/joni_askola/status/1805628038240932247?t=jPBuFaixExiPVnQrnPIwkg&s=19

https://x.com/joni_askola/status/1805628068217680166?t=f7Vpba7RFzbZvsKFDwSuDw&s=19

https://x.com/joni_askola/status/1805628082138513622?t=rO7qVfRSWHw7_-u533uVtw&s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

that guy is NOT mad

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
ah gently caress i checked his twitter to see what he was all about and he's finnish, gently caress it i'm done

what the gently caress is wrong with that country

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Regarde Aduck posted:

ah gently caress i checked his twitter to see what he was all about and he's finnish, gently caress it i'm done

imo the Russian Empire was too nice to Finnish liberals.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Whites won the civil war there. Also see Poland.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The fact the guy finally got free after 14 years of being persecuted everywhere in the Free World because he published truths about the empire is surely an undeniable proof of the moral superiority of the West

Also we can see how this guy cares about democracy and freedom for the fact he brands anyone critical of the USA as "traitors"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dokapon Findom posted:

This last part is just Gladio though lol. Do they think the Russians buried those

it just struck me that any weird right-wing terrorist activity in europe for the foreseeable future is going to be blamed on russia as a matter of course, even (or especially) if they end up using weapons sourced from western aid to ukraine

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

The fact the guy finally got free after 14 years of being persecuted everywhere in the Free World because he published truths about the empire is surely an undeniable proof of the moral superiority of the West

Also we can see how this guy cares about democracy and freedom for the fact he brands anyone critical of the USA as "traitors"
He is finnish and it explains a lot.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

he went on rt, the cad! surely the western media would have allowed the guy exposing evil deeds of the west to do that on western media

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is interesting they finally released him though, I guess it was becoming such an international black eye that there wasn't really anything they could do as much as they would have liked to do other things to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Assange is loving Australian lmao how is he a traitor to the US

Oh wait the west is all one system, of course.