Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I recently saw an 80's corolla for $600 and it got me wanting a shitbox again.
What are some good examples of sub $1000 cars that you'd actually drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh yeah, another Astro anecdote! I was interested in a nice single-owner E36 many years ago that was sitting on the corner of a repair shop, and the seller met me there for a test drive and to look at it. After I drove it and said I'm definitely interested, some guy in an old beater rear end RWD Astro does this gnarly smokey brake-stand at the stop sign right next to the shop, then fish-tails out onto the main road in a killer cloud of white smoke and vanishes off into the distance while the seller and I stood there with the biggest WTF looks on our faces.

When I went to pick up the car a few days later, the guy says "Oh yeah, remember that guy that did that burnout? He must have came back and gotten my number off the For Sale sign on the car, because he called me the next day and said that was him and he was trying to get me to not sell the car by doing that." :wtc:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ruh roh rorge

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'll start.
I think my favorite was my $500 Black Volvo 240

goddamn that was such a great piece of poo poo.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I bought an E30 318i for a winter beater for like $700 or something many years ago, and a friend bought a $900 Volvo 240 winter beater too. We were so excited to hoon around the snow in our RWD beaters that winter, and on the way home from buying it the engine seized completely and totally, towing it in gear the rear wheels would just skid on the pavement. By some stroke of luck and humanity he called the guy and he took the car back and gave him his money back, but no winter hooning together for us :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This Coronavirus thing has people going full on batshit insane. Some of you might know in my real life my job is bearings/Power Transmission but my company also sells safety supplies to industry as well.

Yesterday one of our locations in the Vancouver area sold over 19,000 N95 particulate masks between 2 different skus- in 5 transactions/sales. In 1 day. That's easily more than most locations go through in an entire year, and that's only 2 SKUs I checked.

I totally expect to see these being sold on Craigs/Kijiji for $10+ ea (they should be <$1) due to hysteria. It's like PlayStation speculating.

3M has notified everyone that they are manufacturing flat out but because there is a shortage they will be allocating on historical usage, not speculating, that way people like us can still supply critical industries/health care aren't hosed over. Other than the obvious medical usages, many, many industries like food production, farming, pharmaceuticals, metal working, you name it, use them. One of my clients, a flour miller is now between a rock and a hard place because they forgot to up their inventory last week before the hysteria took hold.

T-Square posted:

My dad has literally exclusively owned Astro vans since I was about 3 years old. He has his preference down to a specific range of year and trim level. He's only recently began to think about other vehicles because his "supply" is drying up (read: they're all old and beat up) but he routinely leaves notes on clean looking Astros with his number if they want to sell. I've repeatedly asked him WHY because they're such a garbage vehicle and they loving SUCK to drive. We've raced motorcycles for years together and his reasoning is always "Well nothing else can handle hauling a trailer with a few bikes and get as good of gas mileage and be as reliable." Let me shine light on a few facts. A) Having driven a number of them while hauling motorcycles on both a flatbed snowmobile trailer and enclosed trailer, it's not fun. It can mostly handle a trailer of bikes in terms of stopping and safety, but the V6 is so gutless it takes forever to get to speed and can hardly manage a constant 70MPH which leads to point 2) The things gets like 10-12 MPG at best when you're hauling any amount of weight, and C)He's constantly having diffs and t-cases rebuilt or replaced, spider injection systems replaced, water pumps replaced and still dribble coolant because they have some stupid check valve or something on them that breaks hilariously easily, HVAC systems repaired, etc.

THEY'RE AWFUL.
Is your dad literally a friend of a friend of mine? Back in the 90s he used to buy only Astros for literally they exact reason your dad does - hauling bike poo poo when racing. That's all he drove for *years*.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 28, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

literally 50 or so of the shitboxes i've had.

top winners:
$900 not running W124 wagon in ATL that 3 days later was in Los Angeles. Btw it had no reverse.
E class swapped W201. total sleeper with working a/c and comfortable on the highway.
BP swapped festiva. Typical econoshibox that would do rolling burnouts in 3rd on the stock 12" tires. would run 14 flat all day everyday on 205 rubber. got 38mpg if you were nice to it.

now? the farmtruck fits the bill of shitbox pretty good, though many thousands over that 1k mark.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got back from my neurologist, after months of scans and testing he has determined I have permanent brain damage from my accident, yay. He said it may get a bit better over time but that I will always have some sort of issue(s). Right now i can't retain information for poo poo and my brain gets over stimulated in situations like crowded stores and I start to feel really weird and have to leave. I was hoping this poo poo would just go away but it's looking like I'm gonna have to deal with it. Oh well :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I saw an old V6 MX3 for sale on CL awhile ago for like 800 I'd drive that poo poo out of that. BG cars rule.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goober Peas posted:

I'm surprised you guys didn't get them in AU. They were all over Eastern Europe as cabs in the early-mid 00s.

Likely because we got far FAR better 7 seater options than that horrifying shitshow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just got back from my neurologist, after months of scans and testing he has determined I have permanent brain damage from my accident, yay. He said it may get a bit better over time but that I will always have some sort of issue(s). Right now i can't retain information for poo poo and my brain gets over stimulated in situations like crowded stores and I start to feel really weird and have to leave. I was hoping this poo poo would just go away but it's looking like I'm gonna have to deal with it. Oh well :shrug:

:(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Well... at least you know it's happening, I suppose? So you can account for the effects at least somewhat and try to manage things around it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Well... at least you know it's happening, I suppose? So you can account for the effects at least somewhat and try to manage things around it?

Yeah, I'm just gonna have to figure how how to deal with it....The over stimulation thing is manageable, if I just remove myself from the situation I feel better eventually, and I may be able to take something ahead of time to help with it. The memory problems not so much, that's what frustrates me the most. If I'm lucky it will get better with time, but the Doc said it's impossible to tell if I'll get better at all, everyone is different.

This definitely changes the lawsuit going forward tho, gonna find out from my lawyer what steps we'll have to take next.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds like you just got a new house/Bentley/plane.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

This Coronavirus thing has people going full on batshit insane. Some of you might know in my real life my job is bearings/Power Transmission but my company also sells safety supplies to industry as well.

Yesterday one of our locations in the Vancouver area sold over 19,000 N95 particulate masks between 2 different skus- in 5 transactions/sales. In 1 day. That's easily more than most locations go through in an entire year, and that's only 2 SKUs I checked.

I totally expect to see these being sold on Craigs/Kijiji for $10+ ea (they should be <$1) due to hysteria. It's like PlayStation speculating.

3M has notified everyone that they are manufacturing flat out but because there is a shortage they will be allocating on historical usage, not speculating, that way people like us can still supply critical industries/health care aren't hosed over. Other than the obvious medical usages, many, many industries like food production, farming, pharmaceuticals, metal working, you name it, use them. One of my clients, a flour miller is now between a rock and a hard place because they forgot to up their inventory last week before the hysteria took hold.

Is N95 going to stop the spread of a virus?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have an '80s Corolla shitbox for sale!
It's an AE86, so, uh, *not* under $1K.

Trade you the firetruck.:haw:

Charles posted:

Is N95 going to stop the spread of a virus?

As near as I can make out, yes. Definitely better than the disposable surgical masks most take to wearing.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2231535-can-an-n95-face-mask-protect-you-from-catching-the-new-coronavirus/
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/27/800158083/how-helpful-are-face-masks-in-preventing-the-spread-of-disease

The catch, of course, is that it has to be fitted properly. I'd have to shave my beard, for example.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

gonna find out from my lawyer what steps we'll have to take next.
Overacted small, frail ones?

Darchangel posted:

The catch, of course, is that it has to be fitted properly. I'd have to shave my beard, for example.
Amazing if this brings the Hitler-tache back into fashion.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Right now i can't retain information for poo poo and my brain gets over stimulated in situations like crowded stores and I start to feel really weird and have to leave.

I have the same symptoms, but no brain trauma, just good ol' depression/anxiety.

:(:hf::(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

As near as I can make out, yes. Definitely better than the disposable surgical masks most take to wearing.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2231535-can-an-n95-face-mask-protect-you-from-catching-the-new-coronavirus/
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/27/800158083/how-helpful-are-face-masks-in-preventing-the-spread-of-disease

Ah I didn't realize it was fine enough of a filter. I have a bunch for wildfire season since the ash makes me really sick. Yeah, they itch a bunch if I skip shaving long enough. And your face gets really hot.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yeah, I'm just gonna have to figure how how to deal with it....The over stimulation thing is manageable, if I just remove myself from the situation I feel better eventually, and I may be able to take something ahead of time to help with it. The memory problems not so much, that's what frustrates me the most. If I'm lucky it will get better with time, but the Doc said it's impossible to tell if I'll get better at all, everyone is different.

This definitely changes the lawsuit going forward tho, gonna find out from my lawyer what steps we'll have to take next.

Sucks. :( Hopefully it's like some eye damage, where it looks like it's going to persist, yet it gradually resolves.

Dagen H posted:

I have the same symptoms, but no brain trauma, just good ol' depression/anxiety.

That symptom list also covers sensory issues. If you're not familiar with the terminology, look it up. In the process of going through some things with my son about 10 years ago, I found out that I have sensory issues. It manifests in crowds/noise and is super weird and can be hard to manage. But the more you know about yourself and your conditions, the better you are able to manage them.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

Is your dad literally a friend of a friend of mine? Back in the 90s he used to buy only Astros for literally they exact reason your dad does - hauling bike poo poo when racing. That's all he drove for *years*.

Unless your friend of a friend isn't in Canada, probably not :v: That's pretty funny though.

I feel ya man. My fiance has some pretty rough double-vision symptoms because of the small tumors in her brain. She can manage it most of the time by using an eye-patch but sometimes it gets bad enough that it doesn't help and it really just loving beats her down into a pile of misery. She's not confident in a lot of things, but she's extremely intelligent and she knows it and is proud of it, so something loving with her brain scares the poo poo out of her. They say treatment will alleviate the symptom but sometimes I worry it won't :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that sucks, applebees appetizer. the human brain is resilient (also fragile) and strange so hopefully your issues will resolve themselves with time!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the well wishes guys I really appreciate it :)

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like you just got a new house/Bentley/plane.

Lol I don't know about that, but i'd rather have my original back/neck/brain before the accident over any of that

Dagen H posted:

:(:hf::(

It's weird, I've had anxiety before too but this is different and hard to explain. It feels like my head is being squeezed and my brain is saying "gently caress this i want OUT" when the anxiety I had felt more like I was going to have a heart attack and faint. I guess it's different for everyone tho.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I would totally find a 6th gen W body Pontiac Grand Prix. Bonus if it has the supercharged 3.8

Just got back from my neurologist, after months of scans and testing he has determined I have permanent brain damage from my accident, yay.

Dude.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My brother just picked up a running Subaru of some kind for $800 and had me thinking back to the glory days for driving beaters. My current daily driver now is probably worth ~1k or so now but was $3k when I bought it 10 years ago.

Cancelled the car I had ordered through Carvana. The cancellation was more that I know I can get a 2017/18 for what this 2016 was selling for and that one year difference changes a ton of important things. Still not sure I'm going to follow through with it though, I wanted to hit 500k miles on the VW. I'm so averse to spending money and having a nice DD for some reason

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 28, 2020

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Reminds me of my high-school days. I had a '94 Accord, one friend a '95 Camry, and another a '93? Mazda B2200. They were all huge pieces of poo poo and we all rattle-canned them black and show up to the Friday night cruise strip and impromptu car show parking lot wanging our doors into each others car, cranking the wheel when backing out of spaces and dragging our bumpers across each other's doors, bumping each other at stoplights, etc. People would look at us like we were the biggest idiots on the planet, but that's only because we were.

The best part was the middle of winter and PIT-maneuvering each other and rubbing doors out on frozen lakes though.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks for the well wishes guys I really appreciate it :)

Lol I don't know about that, but i'd rather have my original back/neck/brain before the accident over any of that

It's weird, I've had anxiety before too but this is different and hard to explain. It feels like my head is being squeezed and my brain is saying "gently caress this i want OUT" when the anxiety I had felt more like I was going to have a heart attack and faint. I guess it's different for everyone tho.

That blows. :( Don’t get another Scion.

What is the medical max coverage for the insurance of the dude that hit you?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Goober Peas posted:

I'm surprised you guys didn't get them in AU. They were all over Eastern Europe as cabs in the early-mid 00s.

LWB Toyota Hiace vans rule the taxi van market in Australia

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

That blows. :( Don’t get another Scion.

The Scion actually saved my life, so i did get another one :v:

I don't remember much of the accident but what I do remember was the paramedics being amazed that I walked away from it after seeing my car.

I'm not sure of the max, close to 150k I think? After everything is paid off (lawyers, medical bills) who knows how much I'll actually get.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 29, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

T-Square posted:

Unless your friend of a friend isn't in Canada, probably not :v: That's pretty funny though.
I have no idea where he is now, but he used to live in the Vancouver area in the 90s. His nickname was sluggo and I cannot remember for the life of me what his real name was.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seriously... $500.
Makes me kinda want to get some beaded seat covers and a disco ball to hang on the rear view mirror.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I miss my old fozz

All of $450 ish iirc, came with a blown head gasket but managed to limp along for a few months before I built a Franken motor for it with it's EJ25D and my old EJ251 and some STI head gaskets.

You were too good for this world and you deserved better than being stolen to transport more stolen poo poo. :rip:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd love to get another one, this time with a 5-speed and LSD. Ours stayed in the family since new in '99 and was passed on to a family friend for a good price. I wonder what it's fate is now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The only <$1000 car I've owned was a 95 Civic EX. 196k miles, roached clutch, AC was dead, salvage title, but I knew the history of it from 40k (friend was the 2nd owner, it was already salvage titled and repaired when he got it). $200.

Friend and I did the clutch in his driveway, I drove it for 6 months until I played tag with an 18 wheeler and lost. I'd own another if it had working AC. The only issue I ever had is whoever installed the last timing belt didn't install the tensioner right, causing it to skip 1 tooth. Died in its tracks, got it towed to my mechanic, he fixed it, said whoever put the timing belt in was an idiot. No piston/valve sexy time.

That was a fun car - with just an intake and exhaust it ran like a raped ape, and the exhaust was pretty mellow by ricer standards (not raspy at all, didn't get loud until you really hammered it - IIRC it was an ebay Pacesetter Monza). Getting it home on that roasted clutch took a long time though, I couldn't go past 3rd gear. 40 mph is about as fast as I could get it to go. The trip to pick it up took 30 min via highways, the trip home took over an hour.

I'm kinda hooked on Subarus now, we'll see what happens after Brokeback dies. The dealer I got it from usually has 1 or 2 Subarus on the lot.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
A working vehicle for under a grand in 2020 sounds like total fantasy to me.

My truck was $900, when my dad bought it in 1981, but even cars from the literal junkyard are $1100; rebuilt title and everything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see them on FB marketplace occasionally, but 95% of the time it's a "lost title" (lol yeah right, you either never transferred it into your name, or it's stolen) or "mechanic's special". By mechanic's special, half the time it's "just needs a head gasket, the part is only $40!"...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah if it has a blown head gasket or can't be registered, sure. But not a working, driving, clean titled vehicle, I can't imagine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So GF's mom beat cancer once. It's not confirmed yet, but she might be fighting it again. She gets yearly CT scans, and they found something in her lungs. It showed up last year too, but wasn't nearly as visible. She told GF today.

Her mom is in her 80s, chain smoked 2 packs a day until the 2000s, and she had a kidney removed after the first go-round.

Raluek posted:

Yeah if it has a blown head gasket or can't be registered, sure. But not a working, driving, clean titled vehicle, I can't imagine.

At that price point, who cares if it's a salvage title? So long as you get a title and it can be registered.

I was talking to the husband of the owner of the car lot I got Brokeback from when I picked up my plates last week, and he mentioned someone tried to buy my old Saturn for $500, knowing it had a rusted out fuel line. They wanted to drive it to their mechanic for a PPI. He laughed them off of the lot, knowing full well it didn't even run anymore (the steel fuel line crumbled when their mechanic poked at it; it just gushed gas onto the ground when you turned the key - they wound up having to push it around the lot until they got a new fuel line for it). He also didn't want to be liable if it went up in flames, even if it did run at that point.

(they put a new fuel line set on it, fixed a couple of other things, cleaned it up a bit, and sold it for $1200; had it listed for $1500)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cursedshitbox posted:

literally 50 or so of the shitboxes i've had.

top winners:
$900 not running W124 wagon in ATL that 3 days later was in Los Angeles. Btw it had no reverse.
E class swapped W201. total sleeper with working a/c and comfortable on the highway.
BP swapped festiva. Typical econoshibox that would do rolling burnouts in 3rd on the stock 12" tires. would run 14 flat all day everyday on 205 rubber. got 38mpg if you were nice to it.

now? the farmtruck fits the bill of shitbox pretty good, though many thousands over that 1k mark.

My favorite shitbox was the '84 Olds station wagon with the 307. Brown with wood trim and tan leather.

I drove the -poo poo- out of that thing.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
My favorite was my 85 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5. Got it for 600$ in 2009 from someone who was moving to Alaska. Just needed to do the brakes and it was all good. Only negative was no AC. Drove it for a year and then lent it to my brother and he totaled it. Thanks, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

UnkleBoB posted:

My favorite was my 85 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5. Got it for 600$ in 2009 from someone who was moving to Alaska. Just needed to do the brakes and it was all good. Only negative was no AC. Drove it for a year and then lent it to my brother and he totaled it. Thanks, bro.

On the next street there's a guy with both the Tercel and Corolla.