Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Snooze Cruise posted:

the problem with this explanation is i should have been able to jail you last night

I stayed home and didn't target anybody last night though. I only targeted you N2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

And the problem with N2 is that I got the weird message N3, which implies I didn't actually visit you even though the alignment result didn't change for that night.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I stayed home and didn't target anybody last night though. I only targeted you N2.

a jail would have still succeeded

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok fine i can jail people who visit me. but because i am only told about visits after the roleblock i am mostly shooting in the dark and get constant fail results, its kinda annoying!!!

This jail? the one that requires that I visit you? when I'm telling you based on what I'm seeing in my results and based on the fact I ended up going to Bif instead of Shell that I probably didn't visit you either?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Almost certainly even didn't visit you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This jail? the one that requires that I visit you? when I'm telling you based on what I'm seeing in my results and based on the fact I ended up going to Bif instead of Shell that I probably didn't visit you either?

its previously targeted, not the same night

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

its previously targeted, not the same night

okay so does your jail work on people who have TARGETED you previously even if they didn't VISIT you or only on people who visited you previously? It really sounded like the latter to me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

okay so does your jail work on people who have TARGETED you previously even if they didn't VISIT you or only on people who visited you previously? It really sounded like the latter to me

do you even hear yourself right now?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

do you even hear yourself right now?

I targeted Shellception and clearly visited Bif both by result reveal and by her Party Host results. Under the same conditions I targeted you. The alignment result didn't change but that doesn't mean I visited you; in fact I believe I went somewhere else that night. You're now claiming that your jail, that you'd previously said works on anyone who visits you based on how I read it, should have jailed me and it didn't. I don't understand how your jail would work on me if it requires that I visited you when even though yeah I tried to I do that I no longer believe I ended up at your doorstep that night and hadn't tried to visit you anytime after.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

..So your first instinct was to kill the player cursed by flipped scum to die. Instantly. At the start of the day, cutting off all discussion. Right when there were results that contradicted your cop claim. And then you stayed home. With a cop/roleblock. At potential LYLO.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

..So your first instinct was to kill the player cursed by flipped scum to die. Instantly. At the start of the day, cutting off all discussion. Right when there were results that contradicted your cop claim. And then you stayed home. With a cop/roleblock. At potential LYLO.

I agree the vote was stupid as hell and I shouldn't have done it. I didn't read the day open post closely because I thought the game would be over with the vote and I've seen too many days drag on with overthinking. Mea culpa.

WRT staying home, I'm compromised. I'll go out to who knows who, maybe get a SCUM result next time, get whoever I thought I visited eliminated, then they flip TOWN and I get stuck at actual ELO explaining that the previous SCUM result turned into a TOWN result overnight and lose town the game. No thanks!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its convient how this covers A) needing to be on a different target than the ones said and B) covering how you could have previously missed a scum report

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the thing i don't buy most about this is the idea that somber would edit the results

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

..even if you think the result is compromised you still get a roleblock so if you stop a kill you buy another day

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I don't care. You wanted my report and you have it. If you think I'm lying then what are you waiting for?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
impassioned posting that changes my mind and the course of the game

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I mean my vote's locked in I'm just waiting for everyone to stop dragging this out.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

..even if you think the result is compromised you still get a roleblock so if you stop a kill you buy another day

A small chance of a roleblock on scum and a much larger chance of stopping town from doing something more useful. I mean I get it but at the time I did not believe that was worth it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

impassioned posting that changes my mind and the course of the game

then you're just going to have to live with disappointment. I don't defend well and don't expect that to change anytime soon. Have fun with Toal and DBD in ELO for me; I expect Plastic isn't coming with you considering he's the only one who's definitely cleared all the way.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I don't expect anybody to believe me, but I don't really see another explanation of why I got those messages as clearly part of night results or why N4 changed but not N3. If you think I'm lying then follow the announcer's advice but before you do...

##ask Jen whose side do you think the announcer is on, scum or town?

Die.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##vote Meen

There's just too much circumstantial stuff and if it somehow isn't you then someone played really well!

I can confirm Snooze's fail thing since I couldn't rolecop them 2 nights ago

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Have fun with Toal and DBD in ELO for me; I expect Plastic isn't coming with you considering he's the only one who's definitely cleared all the way.

oh that is actually extremely unlikely in the current game state

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
much more likely going to be all 4 of us tomorrow if there is a tomorrow

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I just think actually editing the results would be complete and utter mod bastardry.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Wub a dub dub thanks for the grub ##vote meen

If you flip town I'm going to lol at the game throwish insta hammer.

My last, and most powerful gift will be delivered tonight. Sweet death.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: "For twelve years you have been asking, who is Ignatius M. Meen? This is--" gunshots

Votecount for Day 5

Ignatius M. Meen (3): PlasticAutomaton, Deadbeat Dad, Toalpaz

Not Voting (2): Ignatius M. Meen, Snooze Cruise

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 21st, 2023 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day, 2 hours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The entrance to the hold rang out with inhuman screams as the investigators fought their way past the residual spirits that choked the bowels of the ship. They travel in a slow moving pentagram, each remaining member of the party throwing out everything they had in order to make it through.

Chance moves deftly, sweat dripping down his back as he listens to the voices of his dead friends in his ear, guiding his hand as he projects a defensive barrier.

Scott throws out handfuls of salt with rhythmic precision, his head moving on a swivel as his supernatural hearing picks out approaching threats.

Evren wields their psychic force like a cudgel, stunning spirits as he brings pain to beings that thought they were beyond it.

Cassidy walks calmly, unbothered as spirits that enter her aura cloud are sent reeling in horror.

Agatha waves a wand hooked up to a battery pack at her belt, sending out electric bursts that evaporate spirits midair.

Kirchoff wrenches apart the debris blocking the entrance to the hold with inhuman fury, shouldering through an enormous set of rusted iron double-doors, to enter the hold below. The investigators follow in a firing retreat, setting up multiple barriers at the threshold to hold the hungry ghosts at bay. For the moment, they are safe. Then they notice Kirchoff walking towards the box.

They start to follow her, but there’s a sound from behind them and they see Evren moving towards their salt wards at the door.

“Evren? What are you doing?”

Evren stops mechanically, then swivels drunkenly. “I’m checking the wards” they said flatly, “just in case. We wouldn’t want something bad to happen to the wards.”

Kirchoff takes out a crowbar and all hell breaks loose. As soon as she starts working on the lid, the pressure in the room intensifies and four of the investigators react visibly as weight settles on them. Evren launches at them from behind, a dull expression in their eyes, while chains whip out of the box and start whipping towards the psychics. Cassidy steps forward to block Evren while Scott, Agatha, and Chance all rush forward to help Kirchoff.

Evren moves with speed, the chain that’s attached to them is now clearly visible and it swings them across towards Cassidy at force. The Aberrant projects their aura upward and it blossoms into a spectral arum lily. As Evren, or whatever the host body’s real name is, hits the lily, they bounce backwards through the air and against the ceiling of the ship, vomiting. The chain drops.

Scott and Chance are flanking Agatha, trying to shield their charge from the whirlwind of violence around them. Kirchoff is missing a couple fingers and the skin on her cheek has been whipped away to reveal bone beneath, but the lid of the box is cracked. From inside, you can hear a young person crying.

“Stop! This is my box! I can’t come out, you can’t come in. It’s not fair, I waited here so long! Please, I’ll get you your own boxes, you awful bastards! You can’t kill me again! You can’t kill me again!”

Agatha reaches the box and pulls out an incendiary charge, tossing it into the box. Kirchoff finally drops the crowbar and stumbles back as the chains all immediately retract. There’s a short moment of silence in which Agatha starts running, joined seconds later by her partners, right before the box burps with white-hot flame. Evren seizes on the floor before expiring, their brain already fried by prolonged contact to ghost-touch.

A humanoid specter, eyes clear of madness, appears before you. Marissa Hodges’ broken body has been reknit as it was before Ravenswood, at least for a moment. “Thank you,” she whispers, and disappears. The investigators scarcely have time to catch their breath before an explosion erupts from the engine room.

Ignatius M. Meen, Hodges-in-the-Box, Mafia Brutal Cop was executed day five!

Far away, an old woman with a striking resemblance to Agent Seigniorage shakes her head sadly as she watches the video monitor.

“Poor Marissy. I really thought she had it in her.” She closes the lid to the emergency detonation trigger.

Oh well. The woman turns to look at the other monitors. Somewhere in Louisiana, a bog spirit devours a psychic alive as he screams. In a cave system in California, she watches as an ancient spirit pulls the skin from an agent while his companions can only cower in terror. At a research station to the north, a ghoul gleefully chases a couple investigators stumbling through the snow. She allows herself a small smile. It’s probably good thing one group survived. It wouldn’t be any fun if they didn’t have a fighting chance for what was to come.

The end is soon, she knows. It’s hard to be patient now when there’s so little time left, but if Marissa Hodges could wait down in the dark for fifty years with her little frame arranged like a broken Rubiks cube, Binnes could wait a little longer before delivering her final gift to the world.

She closed her eyes and waited.

On the shore, four investigators washed up. They were beaten, bruised, and battered, but they were alive.

“Hey,” someone asked. “Do we still get the bonus if the ship blows up?”

They would, in fact. But money was soon to be the least of their worries. In the days that were to come, some would grow to wish they had been lucky enough to sink the bottom with the Chaplin.

For now, they cheered.

Plastic Automaton, Chance Rockport, Town Medium
Toalpaz, Agatha Carnegie, Town Inventor
Deadbeat Dad, Scott MacDonald, Town Rolecop
Snooze Cruise, Cassidy Sleighton, Town Aberrant

exorcised the ghosts of The Chaplin!

TOWN WIN!

AND ALSO SANDWOLF TOO!

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 21, 2023

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
lol @ me/bif/Jen/Maer/Shell just shouting at each other D1 and all being town, checks out

Good job team, thanks for another great game Somb!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 21, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
thank goodness my character's powerful aura that makes people throw up can return for another game 🫡

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

lol @ me/bif/Jen/Maer/Shell just shouting at each other D1 and all being town, checks out

lol yeah

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Good game everyone. Good game scum team for trying to push through a bad hand.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Lol seriously. I'll try and remember your meta next time!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Midjourney art assets inspired by Stefan Koidl

The following videos were used to create the egg video in the middle:

“THE SMILING MAN” by A.J. Briones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk-eY5S1Nck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGX4Bhwanro&t=113s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ET0gSewYM

This game was originally based on Ravenswood, which is originally based on the Lockwood and Co. series of YA books.

Some elements of setting were inspired by this tumblr post.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WoyZ8AKu9w8WLx7S1mNbn_HBjfod5u1jRcgMjKWrgkk/edit?usp=sharing

action tracker

i dunno what else. thank you all for playing, see you later!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Thanks for the game! Good tries scumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Good game everyone!