Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
One of these days we'll get back to 1981.

Edit: as long as we don't have to go back to those weird medium-size Lego people with the jointed arms. (shudder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

cishet men get REAL upset about that poo poo because if another man breaks free of the Manly poo poo prison it invalidates their own acceptance of it. every man must only be into Manly poo poo or they might have to actually think about whether their own cargo cult masculinity really makes them a man

The post before the one you quoted was this one

Len posted:

People are insane. I used to work at a day care where most of the infant bibs we're donated from a family with a little girl which meant they were pink or purple or said girly things.

The treasurer of the church would flip poo poo if her grandson were in a girls bib though so you had to always make sure he had a boy bib because she was petty and in charge of the schedule

loving CISHET MEN BROS

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I work in a gift shop and the aversion to boys liking pink or purple things is way excessive. I've seen parents loudly yell at their sons for wanting purple pens or neon pink giraffes. Worst was a male lion stuffy that comes in a small tiger striped carrier with mesh sides and handles that was also plush. The mom was willing to buy it but the dad couldn't handle it because it kind of sort of resembles a handbag due to the soft sides of the carrier. His son now owns a MAN PURSE and he repeated that many times. That was one of the best examples of fragile masculinity I've ever seen in person. Emasculated by a lion in a pet carrier. It was amazing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But if someone doesn't tell him it's a MAN THING, how will he know it's okay for him to use???

I for one can't believe men couldn't use Kleenix or sunscreen until someone invented the FOR MAN versions.

SiKboy posted:

I agree in principle, but I have known people who by default think of lego (and any other building/construction toy, or in fact toy cars) as a "boy toy". Those people wouldn't buy their daughters lego, but they might buy them "girl lego". Does it make sense? gently caress no. Is it still the case regardless? Yep.
I'm suddenly very grateful my mom's system of toy selection was "would you like it? can we afford it? has it been long enough since your last new toy? ok here have the thing."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm manly, so I'm going to eat this cream filled pastry called a Bronut.

Hmmm...it's still warm inside.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I for one can't believe men couldn't use Kleenix or sunscreen until someone invented the FOR MAN versions.

A friend of mine pointed out that all the masculinised versions of certain words lead to a picture of men as horribly deformed.
"Malepolish" because men don't have nails.
But of course they don't have nails! "Manbags" are so called because men lack hands.
And let's not think too hard about "guyliner"...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is it a bronut because it's shaped like a dick?

Isn't that just an eclair made from doughnut dough instead of pot a shoe dough?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I worked at a Bath and Body Works for a few years. I was always amused at how couples walking through the mall would get to the threshold, and then the man would just sorta bounce off of it like a mime hitting an invisible brick wall and then go wait at the railing. This was around 90% of couples, a bout 5% would look up from their phone, realize where they were, and then scurry back outside.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Iron Crowned posted:

I worked at a Bath and Body Works for a few years. I was always amused at how couples walking through the mall would get to the threshold, and then the man would just sorta bounce off of it like a mime hitting an invisible brick wall and then go wait at the railing. This was around 90% of couples, a bout 5% would look up from their phone, realize where they were, and then scurry back outside.

As a straight dude I can say I've done this but it's literally because I'm not interested in anything they sell there and it smells so strong it makes me sick.

Edit: or my masculinity is frail

SilkyP has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Feb 8, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InediblePenguin posted:

cishet men get REAL upset about that poo poo because if another man breaks free of the Manly poo poo prison it invalidates their own acceptance of it. every man must only be into Manly poo poo or they might have to actually think about whether their own cargo cult masculinity really makes them a man

Cishet male here. I don't give a fart in the wind if "another man breaks free of the Manly poo poo prison", whatever the gently caress that means. In any case most of those RAAARGH MORE MANLY THAN THOU YOU BETA SHRIMP products are being marketed to teenage boys, who are universally stupid and full of androgens they don't know what to do with.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
My only experience was in trying to buy a pink hair brush (one of three colors they offered, and the one on the end of the hanger). The cashier made sure to remind me that there were other colors available if I didn't want pink (despite the rest of them clearly being available).

I'm not sure how to feel about the ~for girlz~ branding. On one hand, if it gets poo poo like Legos into the hands of kids who have parents with extremely frail senses of gender, that's good. But I worry that it just perpetuates the cycle, too. :smith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I want a Mini Cooper, but I have literally never seen a guy drive one. Subaru's are also cool, but again almost exclusively lady driven.

I guess it's a Dodgesomethingsomething for me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Subaru's are also cool, but again almost exclusively lady driven.

someone's never seen a WRX in their life

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

someone's never seen a WRX in their life

Fine, almost exclusively lady or guy with spiky hair and peach fuzz on his lip driven.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

I want a Mini Cooper, but I have literally never seen a guy drive one. Subaru's are also cool, but again almost exclusively lady driven.

It's ok, they have beefed up pseudo-SUV Minis now that won't make your dick smaller.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

gently caress that. Come to AI where we'll tell you not to get the mini because they're a piece of crap, but give you huge support for buying the Subaru because they're a solid, reliable, fun car for grown-ups. WRX' not included.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Picnic Princess posted:

Dumb Marketing Moves: Emasculated by a lion in a pet carrier.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One time I needed a small flashlight to go on my keychain, and I specifically went for a glittery pink one studded with rhinestones because loving hell I am definitely secure enough in my gender identity that a cheapo emergency flashlight isn't a thing I need to get all tactical about.

And I tell you one other thing, those Lego Friends sets have some great colours.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I like the way Challengers look :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Back when the iPod was a thing I almost bought a pink one because I was sure nobody would steal a pink iPod. But my masculinity took over and I bought blue instead.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Weird how pink is not masculine when the penis is pink and it’s the most male thing there is as I plunge it savagely into another mans rear end in a top hat night after night.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Iron Crowned posted:

What about the guy who runs around putting as much moisturizer on his hands that he can.

My hands always smelled like Christmas hosed a lavender field and I couldn't pick up anything with out it flying out of my hands.

Maybe I'm autistic.

gently caress.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Memento posted:

gently caress that. Come to AI where we'll tell you not to get the mini because they're a piece of crap, but give you huge support for buying the Subaru because they're a solid, reliable, fun car for grown-ups. WRX' not included.

yeah instead you'll be egged on to buy an SVX for $90,000 :v:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

oldpainless posted:

Weird how pink is not masculine when the penis is pink and it’s the most male thing there is as I plunge it savagely into another mans rear end in a top hat night after night.

No name joke. I just like your post.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only time male centric advertising worked for me was for some Men's lotion. My hands get really dry during the winter, but I can't stand using lotion because they always leave my hands feeling greasy and since I'm constantly touching gadgets or poo poo that I don't want greasely or dirty. So I saw one commercial pretty much advertised as exactly that. I don't remember the brand. But maybe the marketing didn't work because the next time I went shopping I looked for it and a bottle was freaking $10 when the regular lotions were going for $4.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Mind posted:

One of these days we'll get back to 1981.

Edit: as long as we don't have to go back to those weird medium-size Lego people with the jointed arms. (shudder)

What, like these?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I know, Mini's are pieces of poo poo. I just long for a small nimble car. Maybe a Miata, no wait still a chick car.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

What, like these?

look at how much work those motherfuckers are ready to get done

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

No name joke. I just like your post.

More like oldjokeless :colbert:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Haifisch posted:

I always assumed that ‘man size’ tissues was code for ‘wanking’, because of the larger surface area for both your shame and your tears.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Creature posted:

I always assumed that ‘man size’ tissues was code for ‘wanking’, because of the larger surface area for both your shame and your tears.

That’s a strange thing to assume.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know, Mini's are pieces of poo poo. I just long for a small nimble car. Maybe a Miata, no wait still a chick car.

Miatas are for everyone, don't listen to the haters. I had a first-gen for a long time and loved it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

oldpainless posted:

That’s a strange thing to assume.

more like oldwankless

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cishet male here. I don't give a fart in the wind if "another man breaks free of the Manly poo poo prison", whatever the gently caress that means. In any case most of those RAAARGH MORE MANLY THAN THOU YOU BETA SHRIMP products are being marketed to teenage boys, who are universally stupid and full of androgens they don't know what to do with.

congratulations, would you like a prize for being the proof that it's Not All Men

:rolleyes: loving obviously it's not literally every cishet man in the world, nor is this behaviour limited to only men, sorry if I offended y'all's sensibilities :rolleyes:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Creature posted:

Don't be silly. Women only use tissues to dab at their delicate tears when they break a nail.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

InediblePenguin posted:

congratulations, would you like a prize for being the proof that it's Not All Men

:rolleyes: loving obviously it's not literally every cishet man in the world, nor is this behaviour limited to only men, sorry if I offended y'all's sensibilities :rolleyes:

He does make a good point about young men though. Someone needed to buy Axe Body Spray, No Fear muscle T's, and spoilers on their FWD econo-boxes and it's not usually 30 year olds and up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Iron Crowned posted:

I was always amused at how couples walking through the mall would get to the threshold, and then the man would just sorta bounce off of it like a mime hitting an invisible brick wall and then go wait at the railing.

It’s not the pink, or the girly, or some kind of manly aversion.

SilkyP posted:

...and it smells so strong it makes me sick.

It’s this. That store (and others like it,) is physically repulsive. I get a headache if I spend more than a minute or two inside.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

My husband loving loves Bath and Body Works. For Christmas I got him a set of the cotton or linen scented stuff (forgot what it's called) in a sparkly snowman gift bag, he was ecstatic. And he kept the bag :3: I on the other hand hate that store because the candles are so overpriced it's ridiculous. No I am not spending $30 on a jar candle, get out.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Creature posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQsTZc4WIL8&t=67s
Honestly thought this was just a joke made up on Peep Show til I visited the UK and saw them for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The Kleenex one makes no sense to me. If you’re assuming men don’t buy Kleenex it’s because they’re “too manly to cry”. So here’s a box of big, man-sized tissues, because you cry extra hard.