Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Started this game last night since it's on gamepass and subnautica and then vallheim after it made the survival genre finally click for me.

It runs fine on my 1080, but I've also experienced three crashes in as many hours. I was playing multiplayer with a friend, so maybe it was related. The final full freeze was when he died because he decides to shoot one of the random ships that fly by the planets.

I read somewhere that there's some kind of savescum technique you can use to constantly gamble for a high level freighter or something like that? What's that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Started this game last night since it's on gamepass and subnautica and then vallheim after it made the survival genre finally click for me.

It runs fine on my 1080, but I've also experienced three crashes in as many hours. I was playing multiplayer with a friend, so maybe it was related. The final full freeze was when he died because he decides to shoot one of the random ships that fly by the planets.

I read somewhere that there's some kind of savescum technique you can use to constantly gamble for a high level freighter or something like that? What's that about?

On PC you can run mods. These mods let you do anything you want up to and including cheating. Your game doesn't affect anyone elses so it's fine to "cheat". Check out nexus mods.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont understand the point of savescumming or using mods to "cheat" in a game that has a creative mode, which also lets you do whatever you want.

i have the same question for people who complain about the grinding in this game.

like, a lot of the way people talk about nms suggests that creative mode isn't particularly well known but it's a menu option right there when you start up the game and it's the same game you just don't ever have to worry about money or resources.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You can't switch from survival to creative and vice versa. Having a buffet of what challenges to partake in while saying "I'm not interested in this other aspect of it that comes with the package deal" doesn't seem like it's that hot of a take to have?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hugoon Chavez posted:

After you've been playing a while you'll encounter a capital ship event designed to introduce you to capital ships where you'll warp into a system with a capital ship under attack, and when you rescue it they'll hand you the keys. The event is designed to give you a decent but random ship of middle value - but if you refuse it, then the event gets punted a couple of warps down the road except next time it has the chance of offering you any kind of capital ship.
So you refuse the event the first time, and then you can either just run it every time you encounter it until it offers you a decent ship, or you take note of the warp it happens on and restore a save before that warp then intentionally use that warp to trigger the event in a high-economy system where there's much better odds of being offered a big boi. If you're insane you'd find a system where there are nice looking capital ships and then just repeat the event there until you're offered a high class one.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ghostlight posted:

After you've been playing a while you'll encounter a capital ship event designed to introduce you to capital ships where you'll warp into a system with a capital ship under attack, and when you rescue it they'll hand you the keys. The event is designed to give you a decent but random ship of middle value - but if you refuse it, then the event gets punted a couple of warps down the road except next time it has the chance of offering you any kind of capital ship.
So you refuse the event the first time, and then you can either just run it every time you encounter it until it offers you a decent ship, or you take note of the warp it happens on and restore a save before that warp then intentionally use that warp to trigger the event in a high-economy system where there's much better odds of being offered a big boi. If you're insane you'd find a system where there are nice looking capital ships and then just repeat the event there until you're offered a high class one.

Ah, thanks, this clears up the whole thing.

It's not about cheating and I usually try to play the games as designed as much as possible, but if some savescumming can save me hours of boring grind or give me something cool that I would struggle to get otherwise I just want to know what it is so I can decide to use it or not.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah - to be clear, once you've accepted a capital ship you will still run into the event and be offered new capital ships in trade, it's just any that are a decent upgrade can cost tens or hundreds of millions of credits. since your first one is always free, manipulating the results by refusing or save-scumming can be a pretty significant credit-saver - but also imo it's not worth going too hard on it since it's still random chance, all you need is something 'good enough' because if you're looking for 'perfect' it'd be more economical to straight edit your save.

my opinion on cheating for things in game is loving go for it. the game is grindy and wonky in a lot of aspects and you should feel free to smooth that out as much as you want. get out there and see some dumb hopping animal on a chromatic planet infested by mushrooms.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What is the main difference between freighter classes? The warp distance stat?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes, and higher classes are also weighted to spawn with more initial storage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I never use my freighter, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I can't be bothered upgrading its warp drive to allow it access to different systems, it's just too expensive/grindy.

At best it's a glorified spaceship garage, and if I could build one of those on a planet I'd probably never use it at all.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The freighter becomes very useful when you turn it into a mobile base you can drag anywhere.

Include your storage crates and the exocraft summoner and you have everything you need.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I spent about 4 hours reloading to get an S-Class freighter, it wasn't worth it.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I never use my freighter, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I can't be bothered upgrading its warp drive to allow it access to different systems, it's just too expensive/grindy.

At best it's a glorified spaceship garage, and if I could build one of those on a planet I'd probably never use it at all.

what about storage though. more inventory space is 90% of what i use mine for

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

I spent about 4 hours reloading to get an S-Class freighter, it wasn't worth it.

what about storage though. more inventory space is 90% of what i use mine for

Eh, it's just full of junk. I don't really have a need for massive amounts of stuff.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
this game has more in common with star citizen than star citizen

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It is happening again.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1548765491707232257?t=86zkwdZVvhGZXifW8mbq_A&s=19

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Guns? More weapons options, personal or ship?

Arms? As in weapons, see above.

Strength? More powerful enemies?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
"We've imported the entire Mordhau melee system into NMS."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

They're going to add single big muscly arms to the creature generation. That looks really good. Comin' out of the back of his neck, there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Finally a Trogdor cameo.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I finally came back to this game since release (it was "ok" then in my book), but it has now supplanted everything else as my essential "chill out and do some stuff" game.

But I ran into a curious glitch. I was selling some albumen pearls at a planet settlement and after selling them they... didn't leave my inventory? I could have gone on accumulating demand until it was -100%, but making a cool 3mil from 7 green marbles seemed more than fair. Is this a known thing or just sheer dumb luck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sean just quote-retweeted the strong arm with another strong arm.

:confuoot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Extra arms! Zaphod Beeblebrox cameo confirmed!

wit
Jul 26, 2011
They're adding skin coloured swans looking at their own butts is all I can glean from that screenshot he posted. And its about time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1549090323296657409?t=YnzfHBumnwwZ4CqGOJ8sfg&s=19

Lol Sean's drawing this one out. That's a really good sign I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What was the last Big Update?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

What was the last Big Update?

Outlaws, by the looks of it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No Man's Sky: Atlas Shrugged

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Yestermoment posted:

I finally came back to this game since release (it was "ok" then in my book), but it has now supplanted everything else as my essential "chill out and do some stuff" game.

But I ran into a curious glitch. I was selling some albumen pearls at a planet settlement and after selling them they... didn't leave my inventory? I could have gone on accumulating demand until it was -100%, but making a cool 3mil from 7 green marbles seemed more than fair. Is this a known thing or just sheer dumb luck?

Sometimes the bugs take, sometimes they give.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the arm means you can get an ARMy. So NMS RTS coming soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I made a general guess today that maybe it's to do with updating base building, as some apartment buildings/inns are known as 'Arms'. She had zero idea what I was talking about, and until I showed her on Google, I started to feel a bit crazy.

I sincerely doubt the update will have anything to do with that, I was just throwing it out there.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My guess: new muscular body type to go with the capes you got with the last expedition. Although there is a 'hero' emoticon. 🦸

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

people on reddit speculating it's armstrong, since the moon landing anniversary is on wednesday

edit- a more likely explanation is that sean murray has used that emoji to mean flex in the past.

and we are on version 3.93, so huge update version 4.0?

marktheando fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 19, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

marktheando posted:

people on reddit speculating it's armstrong, since the moon landing anniversary is on wednesday

If that means we get something dorky like a Saturn V frigate I'm all for that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Whoa

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1549740920546918400

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK TODAY.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was never settled on planetary bases because my thing is to travel and explore but HOLY loving poo poo that level of base creation on the freighter looks exactly what I always wanted. To be able to explore and travel and progress through galaxy while continually expanding and building out your freighter? Hell loving yes.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
goddamn how is there another update to this game

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I have to imagine that every time an update hits they see a spike in sales

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Ah poo poo, I took two weeks off to work on a project but I guess I'm just playing NMS and Stray for two weeks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I have to imagine that every time an update hits they see a spike in sales

I actually got really curious and checked their financials (UK company house), not only do they have a huge load of cash in the bank they're also still making millions a year in profit off sales.