Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Soul Dentist posted:

Also there's a genuine market for obvious knockoffs. There's a segment of a couple different age groups defined by both income (lower middle) and desired class status (middle) that buys it on purpose because it sends the right message for the right price

I’m so curious: what is the “right message” that is being sent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Middle class without being too desperate to seem upper class. You can afford to have taste and buy things with ironic detachment but you wouldn't spend a month's pay on a bag or pair of shoes

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

voiceless anal fricative posted:

I still call them skerples

Unskerpleus counterfeiters!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Kestral posted:

I’m so curious: what is the “right message” that is being sent?

Many are trying to break into a different caste by obtaining some of that caste's signifies which under normal legal circumstances are made impossible for them to possess

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

They did this all the time when I lived in Thailand. Goods were broken into three categories:

Real: legit offerings from the actual distributor
Real fake: shockingly well-made facsimiles that are hard to tell from the real thing
Fake: the poo poo in this video

Night markets usually had the best real fake poo poo. I had a few pairs of real fake Onitsuka Tigers that lasted me years. When I eventually moved to Japan they fooled everyone I worked with.

Thailand loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ewqywqC3U

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best I’ve seen is the pair of air jordans but the guy has butt cheeks

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
Uh... Ok.

https://i.imgur.com/n0DCV9E.mp4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hmm yeah, I don't think I like the new animation style of the Futurama reboot. Is this why it reviewed so bad?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

i just realized what annoys me about tictok/insta poo poo. remember when you would spend like 30 minutes making sure your gif looped perfectly? none of these do that anymore and it's an abrupt repeat

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Saw this vaguely threatening ad at an airport the other day.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Way better than Hulurama. This is new canon

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
2/10 dance vids can’t bend steel beams

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Would insert girder

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'd bite that shiny metal rear end

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Large Testicles posted:

i just realized what annoys me about tictok/insta poo poo. remember when you would spend like 30 minutes making sure your gif looped perfectly? none of these do that anymore and it's an abrupt repeat

That’s actually a plus for me because I like knowing when something’s done

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

why, among the three hosed up panos, is there a totally normal picture of a borzoi?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This is my dog! He was made for me!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Normal photographs of paranormal dogs.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I <3 hosed up tiny wolf

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
1. hosed-up taxidermy thing 2. normal short dog having a smoke
3. This dog was made for me (stolen from up-page) 4. needs a skateboard

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GRRR GRRR GRRR

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What everyone have against rarely seen, fun loving Halloween doggos just playin' and having a good time on the beach. :(

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Data Graham posted:

GRRR GRRR GRRR

This hole was made for me! (I dug it myself)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
nothing is wrong with my dog. his breed just sounds like that. *noise that resembles a choir of human screaming played backwards*

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Halloween doggos

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hey goons, what's the deal with this? I know it comes from some comic, but you all so frequently post it without context, like it's an inside joke, a reference to an event I wasn't present for.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Psychological horror comic, this translation is the first i could find; read it right to left top to bottom

https://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

credburn posted:

Hey goons, what's the deal with this? I know it comes from some comic, but you all so frequently post it without context, like it's an inside joke, a reference to an event I wasn't present for.

It’s a scene from The Enigma of Amhara Fault : https://www.scribd.com/document/417554134/Junji-Ito-The-Enigma-of-Amigara-Fault

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
But why does it get posted?

I would bring this up in the Stupid Question ask/tell thread but I saw an opportunity.

edit: this is the first time I've read the entire thing. I really like it but it's spooky :(

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:22 on May 19, 2024

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

credburn posted:

I would bring this up in the Stupid Question ask/tell thread but I saw an opportunity.

You can make a meme out of it with basically any other picture/thing relating to a hole.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sentient Data posted:

Psychological horror comic, this translation is the first i could find; read it right to left top to bottom

https://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html

Heh, years ago I mirror-flipped every page and repasted the text so it was readable left to right. Think I lost that copy though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Heh, years ago I mirror-flipped every page and repasted the text so it was readable left to right. Think I lost that copy though.

That seems like a lot of tedium; surely more than just reading it right to left?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

credburn posted:

That seems like a lot of tedium; surely more than just reading it right to left?

That hole was made for them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nothin spookier than a bit of the ole drrr drrr drrr ya know?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

credburn posted:

edit: this is the first time I've read the entire thing. I really like it but it's spooky :(

Memes don't need to make sense and they mostly don't have to be based on anything that's like, inherently funny. It just has to be recognizable, which "This is my hole. It was made for me!" certainly is. That it's funny in new contexts is a bonus.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

haha Amigara Fault goes DRR

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I post it because it's the dumbest loving thing. Physics don't work like that, geology doesn't work like that, decomposition doesn't work like that, but people sure as gently caress work like that, and totally would if they did. gently caress you cartoon people.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

credburn posted:

This meme was made for goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
For me at least it's related to this-

Karate Bastard posted:

I post it because it's the dumbest loving thing. Physics don't work like that, geology doesn't work like that, decomposition doesn't work like that, but people sure as gently caress work like that, and totally would if they did. gently caress you cartoon people.
-it's so dumb but there's still a corner of my brain that is majorly disturbed by the DDRR DRR spaghetti man, and meme-ing it helps assuage some of the body horror.

uber_stoat posted:

nothing is wrong with my dog. his breed just sounds like that. *noise that resembles a choir of human screaming played backwards*

Still less gruesome than pugs. "We bred these animals to experience pain when blinking or moving their mouths; we wuvs them so"