Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I've seen the cinematic masterpiece that was Owen Wilson's: Behind Enemy Lines, we can't leave people to that kind of fate in the Balkans.

Pilot Rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yooper, what exactly were you shopping for on YugoImport?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

:ssh:

Browsing stock images and actually found an image of the tank I wanted made by the people who actually would make it in game. Wild.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Z the IVth posted:

SAR first following Frangible's logic.

I made this point fiiiiiiirst! (I'm fine so long as we do SAR first)

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

He's prepping to be first Emperor of the Manistique Imperium.

eta:

I want one of these set up as a food truck in Gjader.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 5, 2018

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
SAR will be a lot easier when we don't have to bust the pilots out of some SAM killbox

It sucks that the tanks are going to roll through the plains but I'm more confident in our ability to blow up a whole lot of tanks than I am in our ability to get helicopters in and out of a combat zone without losing all of them. Like, killing tanks is a "10" on our list of capabilities and protecting helicopters is like a "-3".

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
We should probably do a bit of due diligence around this tank busting mission. Our opponent is sure to know what our capabilities are in this regard, and may be trying to lure us into a trap.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

We will get those people out, no matter what! (VOTE COUNTS TOWARDS PILOT RESCUE)

Tell EU.NATO this is a pro bono job. Any payment or favors they offer will be respectfully declined. We don’t care about the money, not this time. Anyone who says otherwise can see me in my office and say it to me and my friends, Smith and Wesson.

We’re bastards, yes, but we are not monsters.

If possible, Red Comet volunteers to fly one of the transports for the SAR op.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Yeah do Rescue first as its what we suck at so we need to do it while it's easier then we can do the spectacular blowing poo poo up assault run

Also send commemorative baskets and thankyou notes to the families of the employees we got blew up there making a sticky treat for the old ones

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Tank upgrades will continue until morale improves

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

:ssh:

Browsing stock images and actually found an image of the tank I wanted made by the people who actually would make it in game. Wild.

The Yooperverse continues to be distressingly (and amazingly) prescient.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
No improved sensors (except for the commander), spotlight in the hull, ancient Kontakt-1 reactive armor, but it's still billed as a significant upgrade. Ahh, the budget arms trade. :allears:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

bibliosabreur posted:

No improved sensors (except for the commander), spotlight in the hull, ancient Kontakt-1 reactive armor, but it's still billed as a significant upgrade. Ahh, the budget arms trade. :allears:

IT also has computerized aiming!!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
While I can appreciate the fact that none of us want to see the EU.NATO pilots captured are those tanks not heading towards our current employers positions and assets and thus we have a contractual obligation to protect our employer first and then help third party forces afterwards? Of course if we aren't employed by Arsenal AD, which I can't figure out right now due to a twenty four hour stay up computer gaming, then I say we go for which ever job pays us the most which would be A course that is provided we get all the pilots back.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

If you think that is wild, take a look at the T-55M6.

T-55 with turret, gun and autoloader off a t-72, and apparently you can have them with the fire control system off a t-80u, complete with ATGMs through the tube. What a world we live in.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I'd love to see the workspace that the crew members get...

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
It’s probably pretty terrible as is the norm for Russian and Ukrainian armour, but there is also a chassis extension (and an additional pair of road wheels) to try and alleviate that issue

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Actually, there's a good chance that they're more roomy than older T-55s, as the autoloader means you now have a 3-man crew in a hull originally designed for a four-man crew.

Bombed-up T-55 variants have a good market among various third world countries, where everyone knows how to operate those old crates from experience and just having modern fire control and sensors already means you're better than anyone else on the block. Norinco also went one farther on that idea:

That's a Type 59/T-55 hull with a modifed Type 96 turret, including the 125mm gun and autoloader. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 8, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I recall reading an interview with one of the advance teams that went into Iraq to designate targets for airstrikes alongside the local militias. They cheered like crazy when an old east bloc export tank sitting on an intersection was destroyed, and when the guy asked why it turned out they'd been trying to kill that specific tank for years. No wonder the budget arms market exists.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

EU.NATO is going to provide live EPIRB data for the op. We'll also get what information made it back from the raid along with radar feeds from the border nations.

ROMARM is having difficulty integrating the regional militaries to it's likely we won't face Croatian or Hungarian military assets. Yet. Seeing as ROMARM changed the 3DP system from MIG-21's to armor it's quite likely continue to use mercenary forces extensively. There is a single tier 1 operator, the Museum Men, along with rumors of a second outfit from Seattle. On top of this we can expect to run into upstart third rate 3DP only units.

Krum isn't terribly pleased but will do what he can with the Bulgarian military to halt the armored advance. His data network has been pulling up flickers of radar from a 1200-1400 mhz system in the northeast of Romania but he hasn't been able to get a long enough snapshot of it.

I'll get mission basic map up "soon" and then we can get to mission planning.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

. . . rumors of a second outfit from Seattle.

:thunkher:

Care to drop us a clue??

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

CourValant posted:

:thunkher:

Care to drop us a clue??

Maybe the Supersonics are back? They were working for somebody else when we got to this theater and we pretty much knocked them out. That was a while ago now though, they could have a fresh batch of F-104s waiting for us.

Of course there are plenty of Seattle companies big enough to branch into the PMC thing. Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon... all capable of affording (or in Boeing's case, building) poo poo that could really give us a hard time.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I like maps. I like painting maps the color of my team and hearing the lament of the OPFOR. So, we go back to a theater wide map.

This can be found here :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19wNiGJatGHz4nGKjV_MuIxCfTEAaDY3g&usp=sharing

Mission Highlights

There are 8 pilots scattered across the area. Some are nearly to friendly lines. Others, not so much. Some may be injured and require more extraction time. The area is, for the most part, crawling with bad people. Though for now they are unorganized bad people. Our chances of running into manpads is slim, but not non-existent.

Four NH90's are inbound from Germany with dedicated SAR teams. They'll be based at a helo FOB called ST MICHAEL. Our helicopter may also use this facility. This is the END point for ground units.

The EU.NATO RAT-31 network is online and will be feeding us information.

We have three airfields in Slovenia available. We may use any, or all, fields. HG Ground Units are not permitted. Security will be provided by a very angry Slovenian Army unit. (Not angry at us, but ROMARM).

Speaking of airfields... The hostiles have a wide range of bases to use. We're not sure which are in use and to what extent. Recon from EU.NATO ESA assets has been obscured by weather. We're expecting a break followed by a cold front. This narrow window gives us crisp weather and clear skies. As far as the group from Seattle goes, the AirPower thread are reporting that a bunch of twin engined aircraft took off a few nights ago from Everett. One lost fuel pressure and did a swan dive right near NAS Whidbey Island.

GPS jammers and comm systems are still active. DT5 wants to get into one of those stations so we can better understand the threat. Unfortunately that sort of op is a bit beyond their specialty. We may need to bring in an outside contractor to assist and advise. Chingoala + DT5 + ... could be a potent team. For now assume that aircraft will lose comms once they stray past a certain point.

:catdrugs: All aircraft are available for all missions. Unless they're blown up, wrecked, or in need of repair. We'll put the "used once, not available next" into the gas mine. Meteor tax still applies. :catdrugs:

Please ask any questions, request intel, and :justpost: your mission plans!

Back to you Hired Goons!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Hobo on Fire posted:

Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon... all capable of affording (or in Boeing's case, building) poo poo that could really give us a hard time.

Well, Everett is basically a Boeing factory field so you might have got it right on the money there and they've got plenty of stuff that could cause us conniptions. However I've had what I can only describe as a premonition that doesn't make any sense with Boeing but I am still convinced is true: Twin engined, American, crap engines... F-14A.

Other than that this actually seems gratifyingly easy to go minimum effort on. If we don't try for the deepest pilots we can still make a nice pile of cash and if our SEAD/OCA is looking good and we're not too badly degraded by the jammers we can go for gold. Given that the Comms Jammers made Sparkcase show up as a Bogey rather than a Friendly on EUNATO radars I'm going to suggest that all assets fly at 37000ft instead of the usual 36000ft so that we can easily filter our guys out as long as we have Comms to our shooters. If everyone loses Comms then all hell breaks loose.

Yooper, is the airbase at Pula still operational? It's not on the map.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

Well, Everett is basically a Boeing factory field so you might have got it right on the money there and they've got plenty of stuff that could cause us conniptions. However I've had what I can only describe as a premonition that doesn't make any sense with Boeing but I am still convinced is true: Twin engined, American, crap engines... F-14A.

Other than that this actually seems gratifyingly easy to go minimum effort on. If we don't try for the deepest pilots we can still make a nice pile of cash and if our SEAD/OCA is looking good and we're not too badly degraded by the jammers we can go for gold. Given that the Comms Jammers made Sparkcase show up as a Bogey rather than a Friendly on EUNATO radars I'm going to suggest that all assets fly at 37000ft instead of the usual 36000ft so that we can easily filter our guys out as long as we have Comms to our shooters. If everyone loses Comms then all hell breaks loose.

Yooper, is the airbase at Pula still operational? It's not on the map.

Pula is operational but the OPFOR has pulled out and it's not usable by HG forces.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

FrangibleCover posted:

We can keep in mind that Boeing bought out McDonnell Douglas, so they can build pretty much any F-15 or F/A-18 variant they want. If they are 3D printing older McD aircraft, Phantoms are also a possibility. Skyhawks and Harriers too, but those are single engine birds.

Thats assuming these planes are coming from Boeing, though. Paul Allen (microsoft co-founder) has a warbird restoration place in Everett too, so we aren't limited to Boeing built/acquired designs. He's already got a loving Me-262 up there, which does fit the profile of "twin but crappy engines," even if it's not in the database.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 9, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

We gotta try to get the deepest pilots. Think about the Youtube views!

Also, we need to broadcast everything on Twitch with a 30 minute delay, that'll totally throw off OpFor.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

btw, does EU.NATO have stealth choppers? Because something like the "ghost hawk" would be perfect for this mission.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hobo on Fire posted:

Maybe the Supersonics are back? They were working for somebody else when we got to this theater and we pretty much knocked them out. That was a while ago now though, they could have a fresh batch of F-104s waiting for us.

That'll be interesting, because I did write the Supersonics with the potential to be a bit more than they have been so far, but I don't know what Yooper's running with.

Which mission did the Supersonics get waxed in by the way?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Yooper are there any critical priority OPFOR assets or locations in the area of operations that if they came under attack would necessitate the OPFOR in scrambling their air cover to protect the target? Or in short is there anything really important to the enemy that we can target to draw away their air cover while we extract the downed pilots?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
In a metagame sense, are the downed fighter pilots neutral (we have to detect and localize them to pick them up), allied (we know where they all at all times, and if they can see something we see it too), or Hired Goons controlled (all of that, and we can request them to move overland to a better pickup location)? For that matter, are EUNATO's ELINT assets allied or controlled (so we can, I dunno, rotate them on and off if need be)?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I want to take a crack at one of those SAM sites. We need to figure out what we're up against and how to break it while it's low-stakes.

xthetenth posted:

That'll be interesting, because I did write the Supersonics with the potential to be a bit more than they have been so far, but I don't know what Yooper's running with.

Which mission did the Supersonics get waxed in by the way?

The very first in this theatre, we bombed the poo poo out of their airfield of their B-Team. We haven't faced their starting lineup yet.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

Yooper are there any critical priority OPFOR assets or locations in the area of operations that if they came under attack would necessitate the OPFOR in scrambling their air cover to protect the target? Or in short is there anything really important to the enemy that we can target to draw away their air cover while we extract the downed pilots?

Near as our intel can gather the hostile units won't engage unless they feel directly threatened. The SAM system, while antiquated, offers them a unique playing field that will help level the HG advantage.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

habeasdorkus posted:

btw, does EU.NATO have stealth choppers? Because something like the "ghost hawk" would be perfect for this mission.

I don't think the french/germans would hand over their expensive special purpose assets to us, especially when they need them all yesterday.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

TheDemon posted:

The very first in this theatre, we bombed the poo poo out of their airfield of their B-Team. We haven't faced their starting lineup yet.

Thanks. That's an interesting bit of detail that it's their b-team. Now I'm hoping it's them so I can see what comes of it.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Is the area marked SAM area the area where enemy SAM sites can engage our planes or is that their general location and they can engage our planes outside of the SAM area?

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib
Re: Boeing products, Super Hornets or Eagles would be very bad news.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

Is the area marked SAM area the area where enemy SAM sites can engage our planes or is that their general location and they can engage our planes outside of the SAM area?

General location pieced together using radar data from EU.NATO. The jamming stations obscured the exact spot, so this is as good an approximation as we can hope for.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So roughly how are folks thinking of going about this? Bust a hole in local defenses, get a CAP up, send in the helos once area secure? Try and saturate the area to neutralize anyone/everything there?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

wedgekree posted:

So roughly how are folks thinking of going about this? Bust a hole in local defenses, get a CAP up, send in the helos once area secure? Try and saturate the area to neutralize anyone/everything there?

How about a combination of Air Power and Bat 21 Bravo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Bat_21_Bravo

Have DT5 maneuver the downed pilots into one or two advantageous locations, then rescue en-mass?

Might make for a cleaner operation than flying to 6 separate sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

CourValant posted:

How about a combination of Air Power and Bat 21 Bravo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Bat_21_Bravo

Have DT5 maneuver the downed pilots into one or two advantageous locations, then rescue en-mass?

Might make for a cleaner operation than flying to 6 separate sites?

The question is though what hostile ground forces are in the pilots vicinity. Some of them I think are unable to move much due to nearby ground forces that are actively searching for them.

I think for this mission we have four clear goals:

1) Rescue the grounded pilots.

2) Neutralize enemy surface to air capabilities to allow rescue helicopters to access the downed pilots.

3) Establish air superiority to ensure smooth flights for the rescue helicopters.

4) Neutralize enemy ground forces that may close enough to engage downed pilots and/or rescue helicopters.