Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

It feels like it would actually be more work to edit an existing image and make sure everything's still centred etc. than just bang out a new one.

I thought this too, so I went to grab the original from the No 10 Twitter page, and it's real - literally just add a Levels adjustment and drag the middle arrow down and the leftmost arrow right. I swear to god this is "vaguely wipe over it with a big, soft eraser tool"-level image editing.

Also lol that the font is much smaller for the Trump one, they clearly had a lot more to say re: Trump being the winner and quickly had to come up with a short generic statement for Biden/Harris.

e: fuckin snype. The 389 is a Greater Manchester area that goes to Yew Tree, and as such was Saville's least favourite bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Oh hey so if you wanted to see a magpie and a muntjac deer being cool comrades then you could watch this video of animals I made on the land I work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MjNcgMPyEM

They also troll a fox pretty hard, and there's some badger action too

the sex ghost posted:

viewers of Fred Dibnah videos and gardening tutorials

particularly for the flat capped chimney dropper, there's a sizeable gammon following who seemingly exist to poo poo up the comments with "back when men were men"/"when britain was good with none of that pc crap" etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dibnah is pretty much a "count the HSE violations" so it's no surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w2jQuFmVuU

Back in day when men were men and my grandad had 8½ fingers.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sebzilla posted:

It feels like it would actually be more work to edit an existing image and make sure everything's still centred etc. than just bang out a new one.

It's only text on a blank colour backgroud ffs.

Yeah, or just... edit the text instead of painting over it with the airbrush?

I mean I literally haven't used PS in about 10 years and I know how to do a better job at this.

Honestly baffling.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
They could have simply made a new slide in something as ubiquitous as Powerpoint and saved as a jpg or whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why it's going to turn into Q poo poo, because it's less effort to do a new image than what they did, so why do that other than for :tinfoil: reasons?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013
ASK ME WHAT I DID TO KEEP MY STAR AFTER EDITING OTHER PEOPLES POSTS

8============D
I mean I get why, you open the original to get the colours and guess at the font, then you just go "eh just scribble over it it's fine" and then you don't quite get everything but you don't notice.

It's just that's how I do it because I'm not a professional graphics person.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the congratulations message is incredible and exactly what I expect.

are there literally any pictures of him where doesn’t seem like he’s about to burst into tears. I get very sandra-bullock-character-crying-on-the-phone-while-attempting-to-sound-happy vibes

DesperateDan posted:

Oh hey so if you wanted to see a magpie and a muntjac deer being cool comrades then you could watch this video of animals I made on the land I work

particularly for the flat capped chimney dropper, there's a sizeable gammon following who seemingly exist to poo poo up the comments with "back when men were men"/"when britain was good with none of that pc crap" etc

this is delightful

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Christ that line about him being like your grandad hit me a bit harder than I was expecting. He was a train mechanic who worked on the trams in Leeds until they got rid of them (wrongly, in his opinion, expressed at least once a day) and once my gran died he spent the remainder of his life chain smoking and filling up his house with jagged oily bits of metal that were great fun for curious grandchildren to rummage through

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something with this Pfizer vaccine? The announcement seems to be that it's had good results halfway through a relatively small trial with a further update expected in early December, but the headline in basically all the newspapers is "vaccine rollout nationwide from next month, back to normal by spring!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, there's a *big* crossover between Dibnah fans (and Industrial Revolution enthusiasts in general) and the kind of people who - despite having never had a job more dangerous than taxi driver - insist that Elf and Safety is why we don't own half the globe any more.

I remember Mark Williams (off The Fast Show and many other things) in his otherwise good-fun Industrial Revelations series, very bitterly complaining about "The all-powerful and unelected Health and Safety Executive" stopping the hydraulic pump at Cragside from working, completely ignoring that a 150-year-old mechanism working at 500 psi maybe isn't the best thing to be taking school parties (the main visitors to Cragside) around.

It was particularly odd because for most of the rest of the series he was generally on the side of worker safety, and I think it's an interesting insight into the ways those kind of brainworms get into the system - I'm willing to bet he picked it up from someone there equally bitter they couldn't play with their bomb at child-face-height any more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

peanut- posted:

Am I missing something with this Pfizer vaccine? The announcement seems to be that it's had good results halfway through a relatively small trial with a further update expected in early December, but the headline in basically all the newspapers is "vaccine rollout nationwide from next month, back to normal by spring!"

The big news is the 90% efficiency and year of disease protection. They’re spinning up production now with the assumption that they’ll get the various regulatory approvals so that they have it in quantity.

Presumably however it’s going to be like other vaccines and still permit largely asymptomatic infections, meaning (the time it takes to build up enough doses for all of these vaccines aside) it’s going to be a while before things are truly ‘normal.’

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

look if you don't massively promote good results to inflate stock price then whats the point?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

also given the short test cycle the shot might save you from covid now and then your dick and balls fall off in 5 years

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D

kecske posted:

also given the short test cycle the shot might save you from covid now and then your dick and balls fall off in 5 years

That's called "off label use"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

The efficacy results were considerably better than expected, and unless it was a genuine freak result or a completely unexpected safety concern comes up, it should be okay for widespread use by then, and people are desperate for any kind of good news right now.

Of course the more cynical interpretation is that Pfizer have really bet the farm on this (particularly as they turned down the Trump Warp Speed money, which strongly suggests that even selling 300 million doses at American prices isn't enough to recoup their investment) and so are pushing this news as hard as they can to ensure there's no hesitation from countries around the world in putting in big orders at the highest possible prices. The fact that they started mass production on spec before the Phase 3 trial even started certainly matches up with this version too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, there's a *big* crossover between Dibnah fans (and Industrial Revolution enthusiasts in general) and the kind of people who - despite having never had a job more dangerous than taxi driver - insist that Elf and Safety is why we don't own half the globe any more.

I remember Mark Williams (off The Fast Show and many other things) in his otherwise good-fun Industrial Revelations series, very bitterly complaining about "The all-powerful and unelected Health and Safety Executive" stopping the hydraulic pump at Cragside from working, completely ignoring that a 150-year-old mechanism working at 500 psi maybe isn't the best thing to be taking school parties (the main visitors to Cragside) around.

It was particularly odd because for most of the rest of the series he was generally on the side of worker safety, and I think it's an interesting insight into the ways those kind of brainworms get into the system - I'm willing to bet he picked it up from someone there equally bitter they couldn't play with their bomb at child-face-height any more.
Yeah I kinda get the appeal because I used to visit this a lot when I was small and it's incredibly impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORmMRfFYf6I
especially that it was still in active use pumping sewage into the 1960s.

But like also constructions like that killed and maimed people in building and operating them and if we can't operate it without that risk then maybe let's not.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Presumably however it’s going to be like other vaccines and still permit largely asymptomatic infections,

It generates neutralising antibodies so that's *probably* extremely unlikely, or at least asymptomatic-but-infectious infections.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
To be clear I'm not saying the study doesn't seem promising so far, it's just that is "so far" off incomplete testing and Matt Hancock talking about rolling it out to the public next month seems mad.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pzifer announced it because they want their stock to go up, politicians move on it so they can claim to be helping resolve the pandemic and media reports it because scientific literacy doesn't exist in journalism so they think everything is definitely fine now so they can ask simple questions like 'when can people get it'?

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Pzifer announced it because they want their stock to go up, politicians move on it so they can claim to be helping resolve the pandemic and media reports it because scientific literacy doesn't exist in journalism so they think everything is definitely fine now so they can ask simple questions like 'when can people get it'?

i see where the cynicism is coming from because, y'know, 2020, but I don't think german regulators (this vaccine was developed outside the US without direct US funding) would allow this to go completely unchallenged.

there's also some good scientifically literate people who have commented favourably on the pieces of detail re: their methodology that have been released at this stage. so y'know, p. sure this is overly dramatic.

hell, i'm a super cynical negative person and I'm feeling somewhat positive about this, so take from that what you will.

e: and "when can people get it" is actually a reasonable question, given the logistical challenges in shipping this vaccine (it requires a -80deg cold chain)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jabby posted:

Paste it into Microsoft Paint. Choose the fill tool, and fill the background colour with white.

It's not a hoax.

e: f,b

You don't even need to do this, just open the image, blow it up to full size, and move to a position where your screen contrast goes fucky, I can see it with the naked eye that way.

It's still up.

Like, the utter incompetence is genuinly astounding.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

For free image editing in your browser with a photoshop-like UI try out https://www.photopea.com/

Sorry to any GIMP users.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

To be clear I'm not saying the study doesn't seem promising so far, it's just that is "so far" off incomplete testing and Matt Hancock talking about rolling it out to the public next month seems mad.

With my optimism hat on: The method they're using is *unlikely* to have any serious side effects, and means it's basically impossible you'll end up with stuff like vaccine-caused secondary infection. Given that, as long as it's proven effective, then it makes sense to get it out there as quickly as possible to cushion the winter spike and take spring/summer to get it out to the rest of the population.

With my pessimism hat on: Like I say, Pfizer having a *shitload* of money riding on this, and the "surviving the next news cycle" planning of this government, align perfectly for a "gently caress it we're doing it live" situation.

(Note: All my virology and epidemiology knowledge comes from Plague Inc and Wikipedia)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

namesake posted:

They'll wait until new year before announcing that they hosed up some spines in larger testing, and then it'll be back to square 1. Conveniently a bunch of shares will be dumped just before the announcement.

In the meantime Matt Hancock has signed a contract with a man promising he can make the vaccine in his shed. The man later turns out to be two of Boris' kids in a trenchcoat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Sorry to any GIMP users.

F

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They'll wait until new year before announcing that they hosed up some spines in larger testing, and then it'll be back to square 1. Conveniently a bunch of shares will be dumped just before the announcement.

In the meantime Matt Hancock has signed a contract with a man promising he can make the vaccine in his shed. The man later turns out to be two of Boris' kids in a trenchcoat.

Wasn't it the AstraZeneca one that had the neurological adverse events?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It generates neutralising antibodies so that's *probably* extremely unlikely, or at least asymptomatic-but-infectious infections.

Ah, excellent. Regardless I don’t think there’s really much to be cynical about here. Obviously capital’s gonna capital but just about every vax maker is doing the same thing because it’s a smart bet if the early safety data looks good: get approval and you’re ready with substantial doses, for healthcare workers at the least. There is risk involved (mostly for the drug makers so w/e) but I’d wager it’s a safe bet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour really need to start painting the Tories as corrupt rather than incompetent. Just a wave of stories about billions going to Tory-connected firms, or even directly to people involved in government. And Starmer is like "wow, how do they keep accidentally doing this, what chumps".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wasn't it the AstraZeneca one that had the neurological adverse events?
Yeah, AstraZeneca made people allergic to their own spines. I'm sure that there was a serious adverse effect in the Pfizer trial reported last week but it's all been replaced with "you will love the married couple genius inventors behind it" news articles, so I'm not sure what it was.

Hopefully it got proven to be unrelated to the vaccine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8============D

jabby posted:

Labour really need to start painting the Tories as corrupt rather than incompetent. Just a wave of stories about billions going to Tory-connected firms, or even directly to people involved in government. And Starmer is like "wow, how do they keep accidentally doing this, what chumps".

That doesn't dovetail well with him courting rich donors though.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kalleth posted:

i see where the cynicism is coming from because, y'know, 2020, but I don't think german regulators (this vaccine was developed outside the US without direct US funding) would allow this to go completely unchallenged.

there's also some good scientifically literate people who have commented favourably on the pieces of detail re: their methodology that have been released at this stage. so y'know, p. sure this is overly dramatic.

hell, i'm a super cynical negative person and I'm feeling somewhat positive about this, so take from that what you will.

e: and "when can people get it" is actually a reasonable question, given the logistical challenges in shipping this vaccine (it requires a -80deg cold chain)

I'm sure the results are valid as far as they've been tested but this isn't the conclusion of the trial so should be treated more like the news of it completing Phase 2 rather than immediately treating it as an available resolution which seems to have happened.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nah I'm not quite that cynical about the conclusion of this but I think it's early to be acting like those groups are and those are my reasoning for why they are acting like that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jabby posted:

i think the problem here is that the general public already think the government is corrupt so don't care about it. making it look like they're constantly loving up bothers people though

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jose posted:

i think the problem here is that the general public already think the government is corrupt so don't care about it. making it look like they're constantly loving up bothers people though

What was the anonymous quote from a top Tory the other week about some of the recent gently caress ups - 'People know we're horrible but they at least thought we were competent.'

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The narrative at the last election (and the one before) was Tories (corrupt but competent (at being corrupt)) vs Labour (potentially well-meaning but will *definitely* gently caress it up) and for some reason people in this country love a bastard.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

DesperateDan posted:

This is really great footage of the muntjac and magpie! You should send it to Autumn Watch or whatever, if they're still doing that.

Anyway CW: Death.

I wanted to talk a bit about my Mum's cremation, which was this morning, so that people can know what's happening with funerals at the moment - I imagine lots of people have had to/will have to do a similar thing to me, "attending" remotely. Also it just helps to talk about it.

Got up at 5am Canadian time for it. Was expecting it to be a pain to set up but it was actually fine. We had the service at the crematorium which was just recently in the news for separating mourning family members due to covid - but we had talked to them first and made sure that they'd got their policies sorted, which they had. They emailed us a link with login details, and it was a cinch to log in, and it just worked, first time.

Mum didn't want a religious funeral or a big service or anything, so we had a "direct cremation", which is where there's no real service - you just rent the chapel at the crematorium for 45 mins, the coffin is out, there is seating, and they play some songs and there is time for the family to speak. There was just one member of staff there dealing with the music etc.

One of my brothers made most of the arrangements. He had called around some places and said that lots of people were trying to upsell him on stuff, and also the first thing he said to everyone he called was "She didn't want a funeral, we just want the minimum" and even then, funeral directors and stuff were saying "Well it starts at £2500 for our services, which includes the hearse [which we didn't want], plus another £1000 for the venue". Eventually (though not without some work) we found out that this "direct cremation" was a thing, and I think it ran to something like £1300 in total, including the most basic coffin (which I think my brother said was mainly made of cardboard? but it looked like wood from the images - maybe it's some kind of veneered hardwood or something). I still think that's too much money to ask a grieving family to pay, for the most basic service, but at least it was a nice service.

I wrote some words, which my brother read for me in my absence, and we played some music that my Mum loved. It was tough, particularly seeing my Dad and brothers upset, but it was nice, too. Lots of warm words and an outpouring of love.

I know it'll get easier but it's so hard right now. It breaks my heart to think of so many other people going through the same thing right now, so needlessly.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's possible to navigate 'elf and 'afety assessments, which are more about systematically enumerating known risks than rigorously quantifying the exact degree of metal fatigue a steam engine from the last century of unknown metallurgical content is wont to be under

but that would entail being willing to step up to the plate and put values and probabilities on human safety and say: yeah, we are willing to manage these risks. Permanently and continuously. It's just really easy for a bureaucracy to challenge annoying inherited commitments and force passive stakeholders to articulate a defence in a hurry

there seems to be a generational element to the resentment - there's an older set that came of age in the 1970s and kind of totemized the idea of 'one side' being the moneygrubbing beancounters forcing unwelcome changes, and the 'other side' having the unquantifiable human essence. And this set just got blindsided when the 1990s rolled in with workplace health-and-safety culture and Directives and such - now existing things have to justify continuing to exist, which just doesn't seem right, and that's the audience for the daily BARMY BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS columns right there.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

kecske posted:

Well it's a shorter time scale than it would be to get it done on the NHS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I wrote some words, which my brother read for me in my absence, and we played some music that my Mum loved. It was tough, particularly seeing my Dad and brothers upset, but it was nice, too. Lots of warm words and an outpouring of love.

I know it'll get easier but it's so hard right now. It breaks my heart to think of so many other people going through the same thing right now, so needlessly.

Sorry for your loss, friend. It’s nice that you were able to be there in some fashion to share the emotional everything with family.

It does seem strange that governments don’t offer some sort of basic service like that, because I agree it’s a lot to ask of a grieving family, especially in times like these when so many are scraping the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah I'm glad it went smoothly What Evil