Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

Elric posted:

One guy isn't the best sample of an entire society.

Sol Ciel was pretty drat hosed up during Mir's era.

I don't think there is enough data to tell whether Sol Cluster was horrible.

I've always kind of like that part of Ar Tonelico's story/setting, in that the endgame bad guys that you fight (Mir, Infel/Nenesha, Zxx Ru) are all pretty much doing what they're doing because several hundred years prior, the world of Ar Ciel was just FILLED with assholes all over the place and we're still just trying to clean up after their fuckeries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Medrex posted:

I've always kind of like that part of Ar Tonelico's story/setting, in that the endgame bad guys that you fight (Mir, Infel/Nenesha, Zxx Ru) are all pretty much doing what they're doing because several hundred years prior, the world of Ar Ciel was just FILLED with assholes all over the place and we're still just trying to clean up after their fuckeries.

Yeah as bad as Mir and Infel were, a lot of their bad acts are pretty understandable reactions to the horrible poo poo situations the real assholes had created.

So on an earlier topic of Sol Cluster being terrible I seem to recall that they were extremely militaristic, which heavily contributed to the issues with Sol Ciel. I mean all of them were awful in their own special ways, none of them were just picking daisies while the other nations were ruining the planet.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah as bad as Mir and Infel were, a lot of their bad acts are pretty understandable reactions to the horrible poo poo situations the real assholes had created.

So on an earlier topic of Sol Cluster being terrible I seem to recall that they were extremely militaristic, which heavily contributed to the issues with Sol Ciel. I mean all of them were awful in their own special ways, none of them were just picking daisies while the other nations were ruining the planet.

Yeah cluster was generally the main aggressor and was a single united nation only because El Duel conquered every nation on the continent. Hell they only found the continent of Sol Ciel because a rather fantastic civil war rendered so much of their land unusable that they started looking overseas for new places to colonize.
Apparently they actually started out friendly enough with each other to begin with, but over time the differences in the cultures - particularly things like the myths pertaining to their shared gods - started to rub both sides the wrong way.
Ciel myths (like the tale of Harvestasha) had a fairly casual relationship with the Gods, having stories of mortals challenging and overcoming deities and similar, which people from Cluster found to be varying degrees of disrespectful to such absolute beings.
Meanwhile Cluster myths (Like The Chronicles of Resshikou) were often grim but practical moral lessons that people from Ciel found hard to relate to or enjoy.
Mix the fact that the two cultures just couldn't see eye to eye and that Cluster was still land/power hungry as ever and apparently you have all you need for a 700 year war that only ends when you've gut punched the planet so hard that it finally says it's done with both sides.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

#ArCielWasRight

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

#CielaDidNothingWrong

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I had one but I honestly felt like it might be in bad taste.

Anyway update should be ready tomorrow.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So I'm still hoping to update today but our internet got taken out by a storm and obviously I can't phonepost it. More details as they emerge.

Edit: Internet won't be back before tomorrow, apologies.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 21, 2015

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Medrex posted:

There's something poetic about a world full of assholes who destroy their own planet finding a new planet, sending honesthearted people to scout it, who then eventually colonize it until it becomes yet another world full of assholes who destroy their own planet.

You almost start to empathize with Zill, being planet-destroying assholes seems to be built into this version of humanity's DNA. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I guess what we're all getting at is that maybe the ATIII ending was the wrong one and maybe we should have let the planet eat everyone? Heck, maybe we would have all like Sublimation.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

YggiDee posted:

So I guess what we're all getting at is that maybe the ATIII ending was the wrong one and maybe we should have let the planet eat everyone? Heck, maybe we would have all like Sublimation.

Eh, the planet still would have died if it got rid of all the humans, ATIII's ending was the only real chance it had. Besides we can hope that the majority of assholes died out and we're just left with good or at least not completely dickish people who occasionally act like assholes.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The really interesting thing for me about AT antagonists is that a lot of them have really awful plans that honestly do make some level of sense when you consider the awful circumstances. Zill's plan is crazy and evil but they're on a rotting colony ship with no obvious way to improve their situation and at that point any way to continue existing can start to look good.

Oh and my internet just came back out of nowhere, I might try and get an update together later tonight.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

The really interesting thing for me about AT antagonists is that a lot of them have really awful plans that honestly do make some level of sense when you consider the awful circumstances. Zill's plan is crazy and evil but they're on a rotting colony ship with no obvious way to improve their situation and at that point any way to continue existing can start to look good.

True, but didn't she try something very similar (if not the exact same thing) back when Ra Ciela was still around?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Icedude posted:

True, but didn't she try something very similar (if not the exact same thing) back when Ra Ciela was still around?

Oh yeah no question that she's absolutely nuts and any potential upside to her plan is coincidental.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's notable that Zill has a hopeful plan but the situation on the ship wasn't quite that bad yet. But because she's nuts, she makes it worse and continues to make things worse so that her plan seems to be the only viable choice.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Let’s get right back to the story, kids. Ion and Nay rushed to find Kanon in Tenryosara and explain their new plan. Though before they found her, Ion did discover something interesting.

The Felion Nyuroki, the Quanturv Nyuroki, the Honokano Nyuroki, the Tenryosara Nyuroki… And Pheyna…
We’ve collected all the local Nyurokis!
Whoa! You’ve got the complete collection!/Is that supposed to make you happy?
Y-You understand this feeling? Aww, I’m so glad!
Ion, did you like Nyurokis?
Nope, not at all.
But, no matter what it is you’re collecting, there’s nothing quite like the moment you collect them all.
I do./Ion, you were a collector?
Hehehe, I knew you’d understand. We need to remember this date, and celebrate!

They then brought their plan to Kanon.

Ionasal, you seem well.
This is a pretty nice place.
You’re…! Why are you here?!
No real reason. Just taking a walk.
The Empress of humanity… Is just taking a walk?
Yes, is there something wrong with that?
…No. You may be Empress, but you’re still human. Even you must require a break sometimes.
Hey, I just stopped by on my walk. Ion’s the one who wants to talk to you.
Oh? What is it?
Right. Let me explain…

She agreed in principle that the plan was sound, but had a rather serious concern about it.

If you are correct, then my song may indeed have an effect.
Really!?
That song scoops up souls one drop at a time, transferring them to new vessels.
It may take some time, but if there are proper vessels, it should be possible to separate the souls.
However…
Is there a problem?
Song Magic dealing with souls is extremely delicate, and requires a great deal of power.
I could not sing it alone.
A great deal of power…
Yes, Cosal is the only one who could provide that.
Then we should go ask Cosal!
Wh-What are you saying!?
I… I’ve already been removed from Harmonization once.
I don’t think a being such a Cosal would Harmonize with me a second time.
That’s not true. You’re really strong, Kanon.
That’s why Cosal Harmonized with you in the first place!
I’m sure he’ll lend you his strength again if you just ask!

Though it was not an insurmountable problem.

If Cosal rejects me again, I’ll lose the ability to even offer prayer.
I couldn’t bear to…
Pull yourself together./Be silent!
That’s right. When did you get so weak?
What happened to all that spirit you had before?
You could at least tell us to “be silent” or something.

Just ask, and if it’s no good, then that’s it. What kind of idiot gives up without trying?
You never would have had doubts like this before. Am I wrong?
Instead of hesitating, you should be pushing forward!
…Perhaps you’re right. Nothing will happen if I don’t try.
That’s right!
Let’s go see Cosal together!
Yes, let’s. I must sing once more!

Cosal was of course not at the Tenryo Temple, because that would be too easy.

What, is he out for a walk too?
Sharl: Oh, Enlightened Sovereign. Is there something you need?
I’m searching for Cosal. There is something I must ask of him…
Sharl: Lord Cosal has gone to the Forest of Solipsis.
The Forest of Solipsis… Where’s that?
Sharl: I cannot tell you.
It is a sacred place that only those with chosen souls may enter.
We’re super sacred too, right?
Sharl: …Not really?

We should give up.
W-Wait, seriously?!
We can’t do anything if they won’t tell us where he is. Let’s go.

Though it turned out they’d gotten all the information they needed.

Of course it did.
I already know where the Forest of Solipsis is.
Really!?
Yes. It…it was the first place Cosal and I created together.

Kanon led them to the Forest of Solipsis...

It is special. Unlike the rest of Sharanohiar, it overflows with life energy.
It is a sacred place, and few Sharl are allowed to enter.
Doesn’t that mean we’re trespassers?
I thought you were “super sacred”? There shouldn’t be a problem.
Oh, right.
H-Ha ha ha…

…Where they found something your mother would find quite familiar, along with Cosal.

Video- “Cosal and the Heart”

Watch

Sharl A: Who are you?!
How did you get here?
I brought them.
This is the forest I raised, after all.
Sharl A: You may be the Enlightened Sovereign, but I cannot allow you to enter this forest while Lord Cosal meditates!
…I do not mind.
…It’s been a long time, Cosal.
What do you seek, Kanoyeel?
I am here because there is something I would ask of you.
You trespass in my forest and then make demands…?
I apologize for my intrusion, but the matter I wish to discuss is urgent.
…Very well, speak.
You are aware of the Maternal Overseer, correct?
Yes. It has a strange soul. It seems to exist in an entirely different dimension from our own.
It is also absorbing human souls, and is a threat to all life.
I wish to sing, in order to stop it.

They presented their plan to Cosal.

I see… And you intend to use that song to detach the souls that thing has absorbed?
Yes. However…
I wish to ask you to Harmonize with me once more.
Unfortunately, I cannot.
Why?!
Regardless of the reason, I ended Harmonization with you once before. That will cause distrust between us.
Unfortunately, in my current state I cannot sympathize with your thoughts.
In this condition, my former power cannot manifest, and the song will fail.
…I see.

…However, with time, some of these issues can be addressed.
What…?
The impurity in my own soul prevents Harmonization. It is my fault that I cannot completely forgive you.
If I gather my thoughts regarding you, it should be possible to Harmonize once more.
This will require time, however.

Unfortunately, he was unable to help. Though at least he was finally willing to admit that it was pretty much all his fault.

What’s more important than saving people’s lives?!
Saving all life.
…What?
…Now that you mention it, what’s that thing floating over your head…?
That is the Heart of the Planet.
A collection of thoughts which will form the core of a new world that does not require human or Sharl sacrifice.
Amazing!

Of course, nothing ever goes the way you want it to.

What?!
Prim!?
Is that…
…The Maternal Overseer.
So this is where you went, ion. That means Prim’s got everything she wants in one place.
This is my lucky day.
Why are you here? And where’s Nelo?
Right here.
You didn’t… Wasn’t she your partner?!
Yep.
Then why?!
Because she was too weak. She could have died really easily.
I couldn’t leave her like that.
Ion, something’s wrong with her.
Whatever. I’ll be taking the Quaternary Conformation Core. And Ion too!
!

And it seemed it would be Cosal needing their help and not the other way around.

You must sing “em-pyei-n vari-fen jang;” while I combat the Maternal Overseer.
But I can’t sing that song without you, Cosal!
Now is not the time for such foolish talk!
What?!
Hone your heart. A soul such as yours will understand. There is a way to assemble powerful thoughts without me.
You must learn how, and sing! Now go, quickly!
aa-lyen, ah-nh ah-ih-nay;
Cosal!
Kanon! Hurry!

They were forced to withdraw, and come up with some other way to sing the song.

I think so, but…if we don’t hurry, Cosal will…will…
I know, but… I cannot think of how to sing the song without him.
“em-pyei-n vari-fen jang;” is an extremely powerful song.
Without high potential, and strong bonds of trust… It cannot be endured.

Then you should Harmonize with me.
What?
We’ve known each other a long time, and gone through a lot together. It’ll work! I’m sure of it!
You must already know that I cannot Harmonize with humans.
Oh, right, no one told you, huh? I’m actually a Sharl.
What…How?!
Mmmm it’s kind of a long story, but I’m basically just like the rest of the Sharl.
When Ra Ciela existed I was just a wandering spirit, but someone helped put me into a Sharl body.
Sort of like how you’re putting Genom souls in Sharl bodies.
That’s it.
Interesting… I never knew such a thing had happened on Ra Ciela.
I didn’t at first either. But…no, that’s not important right now.
What happened?/Not interested.

While Earthes had heard some of the details in Ion’s Genometrics, they decided to get the whole story here.

…The body I have now actually belongs to Nay.
That’s right. Only Ion’s soul was brought from the other world, so she didn’t have a body on this side.
The organization that brought her here, Tenmon, pushed to make Ion the Imperial heir, not me.
Her power is weaker now, but Tenmon planned to use Ion’s power of Oversight to control the world.
So I was driven out of my own body, and Ion’s soul was placed inside it instead.
After that, my soul was left to disappear, but a friend saved me by putting me into a Sharl body.
They were still just experiments back then, so I guess you could say I’m the glorious Sharl progenitor.
I see. This is a cruel story, for both yourself and Ionasal…
Yes, but we’ve talked about it, and we’ve come to an understanding.
Yes. We’ve solved our problems ourselves.
So now we need to focus on stopping the Maternal Overseer.
Stopping…the Maternal Overseer.

I understand. Let us work together, Nay.
Leave it to me. I’ll give you the best environment I can.
Quell->EX[lic]-> {hymi NAYAFLASK⇔KANOYEEL};
Thank you, but…regardless of your power, it cannot be compared to that of Cosal.
Most likely it will be impossible to gain the power required by “em-pyei-n vari-fen jang;”.
Maybe we should go back to Felion and see if anyone can help?
Sarly or Renall might know something…
True. Now would be a good time to consult experts.

As for how they managed to accomplish their goal, well, that will have to wait for next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: em-pyei-n vari-fen jang;

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Ar! noSurge!

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Why don't they just kick Prim's rear end?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Elric posted:

Why don't they just kick Prim's rear end?

Well, at the moment she's being remotely controlled by someone from another universe, so it'd (a) be kinda rude and (b) not really fix the core problem.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Prim is hanging out with the giant seven-dimensional tang-based god-robot they can't beat in a fight, there's also that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah at the moment we'd basically have to beat the Maternal Overseer once for everyone she's eaten most likely and that'd be a bit rough.

And Prim is extremely mobile now that she doesn't have to worry about Nelo, so actually getting her to stay put long enough to horribly break her would be tricky.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Actually tempted to post some screenshots I took during my playthrough on the vita version. Non-spoilerly of course. One of my screenshots also include what one of the other options was during the Delta meltdown scene at the end of phase 2.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

Actually tempted to post some screenshots I took during my playthrough on the vita version. Non-spoilerly of course. One of my screenshots also include what one of the other options was during the Delta meltdown scene at the end of phase 2.

Feel free, always interesting to see things like that.

I recorded the em-pyei-n vari-fen jang section and god do I love that song. Update probably monday because we're making up for not getting to take a vacation this year by hitting a really nice restaurant and getting wrecked on sake tomorrow.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Kay. It's mostly just me screwing around with Earthes in the bath and making him dance a whole lot.

The Shurelia outfit for Earthes still freaks me out. And I don't know why I have a screenshot of the concept art of the Prime Minister.

I would have more screenshots of the end of Phase 2 but the idea came to me right in the middle of the dialog between the player and Delta.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

Kay. It's mostly just me screwing around with Earthes in the bath and making him dance a whole lot.

The Shurelia outfit for Earthes still freaks me out. And I don't know why I have a screenshot of the concept art of the Prime Minister.

I would have more screenshots of the end of Phase 2 but the idea came to me right in the middle of the dialog between the player and Delta.

Is that bonus costume you mentioned something you get through game progress or did I miss a DLC or something, I must confess I took a break from plus because I'm literally already playing ar nosurge right now.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Is that bonus costume you mentioned something you get through game progress or did I miss a DLC or something, I must confess I took a break from plus because I'm literally already playing ar nosurge right now.

Bonus costume from finishing the game. Also don't have a screenshot of the bonus boss (which you can probably guess what it is).

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's big of you to admit when you're in the wrong. Well done that little lion man. Perhaps one day he'll be what is in his heart.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 24, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, back to the story. Ion and Nay, with Kanon accompanying them, returned to Felion to find a way to sing em-pyei-n vari-fen jang without Cosal’s help.

Video- “em-pyei-n vari-fen jang”

Watch

Out for a little walk. You get worked up pretty easily, huh?
I’m sorry, I was the one who took her out.

Are you Kanoyeel?!
Yes! And apparently there’s a way to save the people absorbed by the Maternal Overseer!
Is that true…? Please, explain.
Very well. You see…

They explained their new plan to Renall.

Interesting… I had no idea such a thing existed.
If you lack the power you need, you should request a Chain with the people, and gain power through them.
That’s impossible. Didn’t you see my speech? No one trusts me anymore.
We must still try. We need only to bring their thoughts together for a short time.
There is no one who can hope to do that besides Your Majesty.
I don’t want to!
Hey!
…You have to do this, Nay. Nobody else can.
Don’t you think it’s foolish to say it’s impossible if you haven’t even tried?

I will join you, and bow before your people with you to ask for their help. Please…
Gah… All right, I get it. But this is really, seriously, the last time!
Nay!
So, when are we doing this? I’m guessing soon, right? I need to go get ready.
I’ll go with you…

Renall had something else in mind for Ion.

Huh? What is it?
If you do not wish to die, remain here.
R-Renall? What do you mean by that?
Exactly what I said. I will not tell you again.
Kanoyeel, you must heed my orders as well.

We will now commence Code Genomirai. Report to your posts.

Anyway, they once again called together the citizens.

Older Woman A: Another speech from the Divine Empress? I wonder what she wants this time.
The Divine Empress, Her Majesty Nayaflask, is to speak! Everyone, be silent!
I have gathered you all here today to address a very important matter.
We have discovered a way to fight back against the Maternal Overseer, threat to human and Sharl alike.
It is a single song.
It will render the Maternal Overseer helpless, and recover the lost souls of many people.
Unfortunately, this song cannot be sung by a single person alone.
That is why, in order to make this song successful, I must ask you to lend me your strength.
If human and Sharl take hands and connect their hearts, we can create incredible power from our thoughts.
This is the very basis of the mysterious power we call Song Magic.
So I ask you to take hands, pray, and sing. Join us!
I wish to ask you as well.
…I gave life to the Sharl, and brought many people to the Flask Sea.

There is one reason I have come here to stand before you, and that is to atone for my actions.
The song I shall sing has the power to bring back the friends and family the Maternal Overseer has taken.
However, it requires the power of all your thoughts. That is why I ask for your cooperation.
Humans, Harmonize with the Sharl. Sharl, Chain with the Divine Empress. This will lend us your power.

Unfortunately, things were just as Nay had suspected.

Woman: We need to connect our hearts to the Sharl? Is that even safe?
Older Man A: What if they’re just trying to trick us again?
Man C: She created the Sharl, and did horrible things to my family…
Sharl A: We need to cooperate with the Enlightened Sovereign. We want to save your friends and families.
Sharl B: I’m sorry for all the things we did, but we really want to help. Can you trust us? Please?
Man C: Y-You can’t just expect us to trust you that easily…
…This is pointless. Even if they pretend to cooperate, their thoughts won’t be strong enough.
Even if they Harmonize, Kanon’s song will fail.

And then things got a bit strange.

Wh-What?
I’m pleased to see such filthy souls. There will be much to gain by forcing their growth.
Your corrupted souls will make a fitting meal for the Maternal Overseer!

Guardians began to drop down, cutting off the escape of the crowd.

What’s going on!? Somebody, get these people out of here!
Imperial Guard A: Th-This is bad! Somebody locked the Barrier! We can’t get outside!
Be silent, you ignorant peasants! I’ll have the Guardians collect the loudest first!
What are you doing?
I should think it was clear: I am helping them participate in the completion of the Maternal Overseer.
Thank you for gathering so many people together. A chance like this is rare.
However…I confess you had me concerned for a moment.
You were so very close to singing that song, after all.
…Did you have this planned all along?
You were a fool to think a solution to this problem would simply fall into your lap.
All I want are the souls of the people gathered here. I have no business with you, so long as you don’t interfere.
You really think I’m going to just sit back and watch?
Then what DO you intend to do?
All you’ve ever done is sit idly on that throne, protected by your regalia.
Just watch. If you keep still, I will allow you to leave.
Koh=a-z bra-nyeu;
I won’t let you!

To block Renall’s attack, Nay was forced to reveal herself.

Older Man A: N-Nay?!
Man C: The Divine Empress was really Nay the Gale?!
Man B: You’re kidding!
If you think I’m going to just stand here and let you get away with this, you’re wrong!
I’ve lived alongside these people for years.
I was there with them through the hard times and the good times.
And I’ll be damned if I let you do this to them!
Nay!
Sarly! Ion!
We stopped the Guardians! Everything’s okay!
We’ll be taking you into custody now, Renall.
How could you do something like this…

Nay made one last effort.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be the Empress you all hoped I was.
But please, please help me with this song…
I know I’ve failed a lot of you, but if this song works, then all the people I couldn’t save will come back.
So please…I’m begging you.
Let’s do this. Even if it’s just the two of us singing, we’ve got a better chance than if we do nothing.
…I understand.
Sharl, I ask that you lend us your help as well.
For the sake of all the souls captured by the Maternal Overseer, let us all pray together…

And they began the song.

Music- em-pyei-n vari-fen jang

Seriously Do Listen

But now, they weren’t alone.

Man C: Someone, please, Harmonize with me!
Sharl A: I will.
Woman: Me too! For my mother!
Sharl B: Would you like to pray with me? I want to save the people you’ve lost.
Older Man A: Y-Yeah…yeah, you’re right. I can’t just sit here and watch. We have to do everything we can!
Sharl B: He he, thank you!

Their song reached the Maternal Overseer, and her power began to fade.

Wh-What’s going on?! No…no! Why?!
…You have done well, Kanoyeel.
drat…!
Pursue her.

For the first time in a long time, things were really beginning to look like they might end well.

It looks like you can work together if you put your minds to it.
Really…thank you…

Meanwhile we cut to nearby, away from the crowds.

Well, it wasn’t everybody… But a lot of people Harmonized with the Sharl.
With that many people, I’m sure the song worked…
Good. Well done.
…Was this really okay?
I have a feeling people aren’t really going to understand… What are you going to do now?
The same thing I have always done.
Assist Her Majesty the Empress.
That is the Prime Minister’s job.
Renall…
I will apologize to Her Majesty after the song is finished.
Ha ha ha, that’s right! I still think Nay’s going to be mad, though.
He he… You’re probably right. I imagine she will.

She was.

U-Um…Nay?
Sounds like you were in on tricking me, too.
Um, I, uh…
Argh… I never thought YOU’D pull one over on me. You’ve gotten pretty devious.
S-Sorry…
Ionasal and Tatalca did what they did for you. Why not forgive them?
I can’t do that!
But you touched the hearts of the people, and thanks to that my song succeeded.
Isn’t that a good thing?
It’s not good at all! I embarrassed myself in front of the whole ship! I can never go out in public again…
Just make up already./I can understand why you’re angry, Nay.
I can’t do that so quickly! A girl’s heart is a delicate thing…

But with the situation improving, she wouldn’t be able to maintain it.

What is it?
Water level and all other readings are back to what they were before the Maternal Overseer appeared.
Really? That’s good…
This means we can start rescuing the people who were captured again.
Yes. We’ve already issued orders regarding that, so it should begin shortly.
People seem much closer to the Sharl now, so it should be just a matter of time before everyone’s out.
Good. Thank you.
Okay, we should head back to the Forest of Solipsis, then. We need to return the Heart to Cosal.
I will accompany you. I need to speak with Cosal.
I’m going to take a break. I’m just way too embarrassed right now.
You can’t do that. The Empress has a lot of work she needs to do.
Watching over the people is my job.
Wasn’t Prime Minister Renall saying something about there being mountains of paperwork for you to go over…?
You guys can take care of that. Just deal with it however you want.
* sigh *
H-Ha ha…

Ion and Kanon returned to Cosal.

I’m glad you’re safe, Cosal.
Your song released the souls the Maternal Overseer had absorbed, and it has been greatly weakened.
So could we say that it no longer has the strength to absorb souls?
It is using a new energy source, but that source is not souls. Gathering them would be difficult for it now.
Um, Cosal, what about Prim…?
She fled as soon as the Maternal Overseer dispersed. I sent pursuers, but they could not find her.
O-Oh… Also, when the Maternal Overseer weakened…did a girl come out?
No such thing happened. Are you searching for someone?
Um, no… Not really. Thank you anyway.
Regardless… You sang well, Kanoyeel.
Only because of the cooperation of humans and Sharl.
That is, in part, why I am praising you.
Humans contain vast potential. Their insecurity also grants them great power.
Even when their individual thoughts are weak, together they can wield immense power.
I think so too. Something that is impossible alone becomes possible together.
This is a common human sentiment.

Unfortunately, it seemed Nelo was still inside the Overseer.

I see, and…?
I shall not Harmonize with you again.
What!? Why? Am I still inadequate?
No, that is not the reason. You now have the ability to sing without me.
I could feel your thoughts from here, as you sang “em-pyei-n vari-fen jang;”.
It was a beautiful, majestic, magnificent song, Kanoyeel.
Cosal…
Kanoyeel, Ionasal… Take this with you.
System Message: Obtained the [Heart of the Planet]!

Though they’d returned to give him the Heart, he decided they should keep it.

The Heart of the Planet!?
Precisely.
Unfortunately, my thoughts were not strong enough to weave a planet… But it should be enough to assist you.
…Thank you very much! B-But, are you certain about this? This must be extremely valuable…
I must continue training my soul here.
This is about all I can do for you at the moment.
You and Nayaflask will guide this world down the correct path.
Through you, I have seen and understood much. More than I did when Ra Ciela existed.
You have my gratitude, Kanoyeel.
I…I wish to thank you, too.
You have always treated me kindly, even when I tried to rely blindly on your strength.
Thank you, again.
Now go. There is still much which you can accomplish.
…Yes.

Ion and Earthes then took Kanon back home.

That reminds me, you were searching for the Seven. Once you find them, I’ll be happy to help.
Thank you, Kanon!
Also… Are you going to keep running this shop?
Of course. It may be trivial, but this is one of the things I can do for this world.
That’s right. If this shop disappeared, the Sharl would be sad.
I’d be sad, too!/The Sharl really would be sad.
Well then, that gives me one more reason to keep my doors open.
That’s right!
Although, I’m a little surprised that you were so fond of Chuchuya.
But now is the time for us to say goodbye. Let us meet again, Ionasal.
Yes!

That was the end of what could be done back on the ship, though it turned out they’d done exactly what they needed to make some headway back here.

Feinne’s Notes:
On a somber note I do want to one last time remember the sad passing of Origa, who performed Kanon’s songs. Her body of work is quite impressive and I cannot recommend you look into it enough.

Next Time on Ar Nosurge: Horus’ Plan

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Feinne posted:

Feinne’s Notes:
On a somber note I do want to one last time remember the sad passing of Origa, who performed Kanon’s songs. Her body of work is quite impressive and I cannot recommend you look into it enough.

Adding to the note, I can't help but admit em-pyei-n vari-fen jang ended up being a really good Swan Song for Origa even though her career featured a lot of strong songs.

Especially if you take the time look up for its lyrics' translations from the usual sources...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Still don't know if this is my actual favorite song in the game but it's definitely one of the two in the running.

It's funny Renall's little ruse worked so well, you'd think the people of Felion would be numb to yet another attempt to invade them/commit genocide on them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Still don't know if this is my actual favorite song in the game but it's definitely one of the two in the running.

It's funny Renall's little ruse worked so well, you'd think the people of Felion would be numb to yet another attempt to invade them/commit genocide on them.

I think it mostly works on the strength of what everyone was telling Nay, that she needed to just tell everyone she was Divine Empress the whole time. They were mostly making GBS threads all over the Empress for not being around when everything was going down and were therefore left feeling pretty dumb when it turned out the Empress was pretty much the only person who never left Felion.

I think I might like the next song just slightly more than em-pyei-n vari-fen jang but it's hard to say because they're just so different.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. So with pretty much everybody BUT Prim all rolled into the Maternal Overseer, what is Prim's "player" objective right now?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

Hmm. So with pretty much everybody BUT Prim all rolled into the Maternal Overseer, what is Prim's "player" objective right now?

He's playing Spec Ops no Surge: the Line.
He's not getting the message.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

Being a massive prick.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

You'd have to assume it's still to get Nelo home but that plan was kind of impossible before it even got rolling given the incredibly low probability that Zill will actually give up Nelo and Ion if she gets them and thus the ability to Oversee all dimensions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Feinne posted:

You'd have to assume it's still to get Nelo home but that plan was kind of impossible before it even got rolling given the incredibly low probability that Zill will actually give up Nelo and Ion if she gets them and thus the ability to Oversee all dimensions.

I'm guessing said player is taking a 'broad strokes' approach to it and wants to complete the Maternal Overseer so they can hook into it via Prim's Interdimend and then rule all the dimensions with supreme oversight. Then technically fulfill the promise they made Nelo by taking the Maternal Overseer 'home' to conquer/do whatever with it.

That's kind of the only thing left that would make sense.

EighteenCharacters
Nov 4, 2009

Glazius posted:

To complete his pokédex.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
On the risk of repeating myself, TrolledByPrim.jpg.

I don't think her controller is in it to win at this point, just gently caress with them as much as possible

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All Zill had to do was hand out 10 achievements for absorbing everyone on the ship.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AstraSage posted:

Adding to the note, I can't help but admit em-pyei-n vari-fen jang ended up being a really good Swan Song for Origa even though her career featured a lot of strong songs.

Especially if you take the time look up for its lyrics' translations from the usual sources...

Note that Aquagon's translation is actually quite poor (as is for the other Origa song), probably because of double Russian -> Japanese -> English translation.
There seems to be an alternate translation done by someone at ARM that's pretty good: (http://w11.zetaboards.com/Revatail_Hymmne/single/?p=8254019&t=10125768), though there are
a couple things that bug me about it. Ah, what the heck, I'll give it a go (though translating songs is hard since they're full of incomplete sentences and Russia is very loose at letting
people just plain drop stuff):

After a long sleep...
to open one's eyes again...

The night bringing together its palms
will protect my soul from pain.
Saving myself a lot or a little
I again was running from myself.
There, at the edge of deception
I one day lost love,
letting doubts be accepted into my heart
I took me only a moment back then.

But, the new day,
became empty without you
And as if a shadow covered it...
Since to let it go
Fate will not allow
And every moment she screams

Fly there, where the soul sings.
Life gave you two wings again
This new world gifted you love
To fly in the clouds with you, behind you.

After a long sleep...
to open one's eyes again...

The day brought relief,
washing stubborn memory.
Only the wound of the soul reminded
It is difficult to find what was lost.

Oh, if only
One could look back
And turn the hands of the clock
I would give
All that I have
To drown in your eyes

Call me, I am already on my way
A million obstacles I will be able to pass
Even if darkness swallows the entire world
We will manage to survive, only you and me.

Fly there, where the soul sings.
Life gave you two wings again
This new world gifted you love
To fly in the clouds with you, behind you.

Hmm, comparing it, it's actually pretty close, and the other version probably does better with word choice in a few spots. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

That's really cool!

I got some more Ar Nosurge recorded, update should be tomorrow. Then we'll have Delta and Cass's final normal Dive where we resolve the whole 'whoops cored out your soul' thing. I'll also be able to do Ion/Nay 2 soon, after which we'll finish her regular Dives as well. We'll still have the DLC to do but those are bonus.

• Locked thread