Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M42 posted:

Haha, yeah, it's the second one. I didn't even notice. I've given up all hope of ever owning a drz above 125 anyway.

I borrowed my friend's DRZ400SM for a day and it's a bit awkward but it works OK as long as you aren't having to deal with constant stop and go traffic. I have to do that youtube worthy right leg barely on the bike thing at a stop but I put 200-300 miles on it in the city and on dirt/gravel and didn't really feel like I was going to drop it because I was too short. Not worth it for a daily commuter type bike though, only if you want something that'll handle dirt well. It's fairly light which makes it pretty easy to balance on just a toe. Not sure if I could manage the E/S models which have another ~2 inches of seat height, that'd be pretty rough. The only really bad part is I can't manage the kickstand while I'm on the bike so I have to start it while I'm off the bike and then put it in gear and then kinda jump onto it and ride away, after that it's fine.

I want to try a WR450F too but they're 3.5 inches taller than the DRZ400SM and I think at that point I might be at leap off the bike when it comes to a stop levels of can't touch the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

How much is this worth?

http://www.damnriders.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3868&sid=050876c26358cb1dff79e5a73850fa66

Obviously hard to put a price on an undiagnosed problem, but that's what you'd be buying. I guess you could say what would that bike be worth assuming the engine is trash? Agaon, I psted a day or so ago, I'm looking for some kind of project dirt/dualsport bike to learn how to work on bikes.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Lol @ potholes and whatnot in New York, London, Paris, Munich. Bitches, in Detroit our racetracks have potholes.

Edit: not exactly. Dorais Velodrome, occasionally known as Thunderdrome.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 25, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Koruthaiolos posted:

How much is this worth?

http://www.damnriders.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3868&sid=050876c26358cb1dff79e5a73850fa66

Obviously hard to put a price on an undiagnosed problem, but that's what you'd be buying. I guess you could say what would that bike be worth assuming the engine is trash? Agaon, I psted a day or so ago, I'm looking for some kind of project dirt/dualsport bike to learn how to work on bikes.

Yeah, expect the engine is trashed. Figure around 400-600 bucks for it is fair given you're going to have to spend around 600-1000 on an engine or rebuild, if you can even find an engine to swap. I wouldn't do it expecting to save any money over just buying something already running but you said you wanted a project....

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Just buy a high mile but running bike and start doing all the actual scheduled maintenance on it. Valve adjustments, install a new chain + sprockets, replace the spark plugs and air filter, rebuild the forks, install new head/swingarm/axle bearings, etc. You'll learn plenty but will also have a running bike you can actually ride.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Suggestions on the best sportbike from the year 1995?

M42 posted:

Aw, hell.

The seat height of a 1290 SD is only 33 inches (to the the Groms 30).

Just sayin'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Suggestions on the best sportbike from the year 1995?

Ducati 916.

You're going to tell us you're asking because that's your birth year, aren't you?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ducati 916.

You're going to tell us you're asking because that's your birth year, aren't you?

My guess is the goons state of residence has a 20 year old vehicle exemption from inspection/registration. My state is 25 years and it's a lifetime registration for only $100 and no inspections ever.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ducati 916.

I'm a lot older than that. We have a rolling twenty year limit here in Sweden where insurance gets incredibly cheap. So 1995s, no matter which bike, are like 150 euros full comprehensive now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Some guy locally just posted what is basically a brand new, completely stock '08 WR250X on CL.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/4994798591.html

I'm really tempted to sell my Miata now :v:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

It's a good price but that's probably at least a $1,000 overpriced. It's low mileage but still a 7 year old bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nidhg00670000 posted:

(to the the Groms 30).
Is it really? What the hell?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Even so, the seat on the duke is like 3 times as wide. Makes a huge difference.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Speaking of wide bikes, I was sitting on a bunch of bikes at the Yamaha shop near my house and noticed when setting on a Bolt that the drat thing's as wide as my own big I4 bike. How in the hell did they manage to make a v-twin so drat wide? The air box sticks way out of the frame on the right, and the rear cylinder sticks out the left side, forcing you to sit as if you were on a four cyl bike despite the otherwise narrow frame. WTF Yamaha.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Yeah, seat/tank interface makes a huge difference to the apparent height of a bike. Some old Japanese bikes, despite having a theoretically low (<30") seat height, are a real pain because the width of the tank and seat make it so your leg has to travel a good extra six inches to reach the floor.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

So I'm looking for my first bike. From what I have seen everyone seems to suggest either a ninja250/300 or a cbr250r. My co workers, on the other hand, suggest not to get a sportsbike and not to get anything less than 650cc. Should I just ignore them and get a 250 or 300? Are there any other bikes I should look out for?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My recommendation is a WR250 or DRZ400. They are very forgiving bikes and when you drop it, which you will, they take damage really well. They are also very good bikes for doing different things - city riding/commuting, mountain roads, off road, really anything but long highway rides. I think that's important for a beginner bike since it will help you discover what you like about riding so you'll know what to get as a second bike. You also get to have fantasies of riding with the 12 o'clock boys.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
edit: ^^^ see! (he's right, of course)

Shadowlz posted:

So I'm looking for my first bike. From what I have seen everyone seems to suggest either a ninja250/300 or a cbr250r. My co workers, on the other hand, suggest not to get a sportsbike and not to get anything less than 650cc. Should I just ignore them and get a 250 or 300? Are there any other bikes I should look out for?

Your co-workers are either dumb or they're concerned about riding position. You probably don't want a bike that has you leaned over in a full tuck all the time. Fortunately, those bikes all have relatively upright riding positions so that's not an issue. There's a reason everyone on the internet who doesn't know you but still loves talking to other people they don't know about bieks recommends those as a first bike. It's not because they're assholes (they are); it's because they're really good starter bikes. You'll probably end up selling it next spring and the circle of life will start again, but you'll have had a bike that's fast enough to be fun (a PW50 is fast enough to be fun for you right now) and you'll learn more about riding.

Folks generally recommend ninja250/300, cbr250, sv650 (if you're fat), DRZ400/WR250 (if you watched too many fast and furious movies), and KLR650 (if you're old and/or love the idea of riding a tractor that will survive the zombie apocalypse). I'm sure there are a couple I'm missing but those are the general recommendations depending on what kind of riding you want to do. So... where are you going to ride?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

People who don't know much about bikes tend to assume any bike with fairings has the sportbike torture rack position, which isn't the case. A 250 or 500 will be good (I believe any CBR or Ninja without an rr designation is likely standard). It's mainly the rr's that have those positions, not always though. Cruiser, 750 is more the sweet spot.

My co-workers were all "why'd you get a sportbike mang :downs:"

"Well it's not a sportbike, it's a sport touring bike with an upright position and fairings to direct wind away from you on long rides, it's actually more comfortable than a cruiser that has your feet out in front of you and your lower back replaces the suspension" but their eyes glazed over and they went back to talking about harleys and the jap crap. :sigh:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlz posted:

What do your coworkers ride?

I started on a Ninja 250. It was a good starter and I kept it for 2 years. The seating position is upright.

Koruthaiolos posted:

My recommendation is a WR250 or DRZ400. They are very forgiving bikes and when you drop it, which you will, they take damage really well. They are also very good bikes for doing different things - city riding/commuting, mountain roads, off road, really anything but long highway rides. I think that's important for a beginner bike since it will help you discover what you like about riding so you'll know what to get as a second bike. You also get to have fantasies of riding with the 12 o'clock boys.

Listen to this man. If I could go back I'd get one of these two bikes.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Monster 1200 or a Street Triple R are both good starter bikes. You don't wanna start out like a bitch riding some lovely 250 do you?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Has anyone ever heard of a Benelli TNT 1130? A local auction has one coming up in a couple weeks. Based on everything I can find I would logically want absolutely nothing to do with this bike - purely from a manufacturer support perspective. I cannot find a single dealer in Canada. I'm not actually sure how it ended up in the country. I've also heard anecdotaly that they like to spontaneously catch fire - like a true Italian.

It is a very pretty bike though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Yep, my tall seat is easier to flat foot than my low seat. I suggest using the big boy seat to the Uly crowd to help keep the heat off their leg and all I get is "BUT MY INSEAM". I can't even flat foot the low seat.

Engine being God's Configuration helps too I suppose.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Digital_Jesus posted:

Monster 1200 or a Street Triple R are both good starter bikes. You don't wanna start out like a bitch riding some lovely 250 do you?

Don't be a literal fairy with gossamer wings and tinkling chime sounds. A Speed Triple would be a much better starter.

Puts hair on your chest.

Or takes it off w/e

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Thanks for all the responses!

As for were I'll be riding, I live in a suburb of Baltimore. I might commute with it down a kinda lovely "highway"(stop and go traffic) occasionally. Most riding will probably be a bunch of backroads in the less dense suburbs and ruralish areas for fun.

My co workers ride a Honda Shadow, a CTX700, a Road King, and a Superlow.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 27, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, then get a drz or wr250 and come ride with our DC crew.

e: and if you had posted this a month ago I could have sold you one.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2015

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
DC crew the best crew. Forget those old rear end, can't pee, dork bike riding coworkers

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlz posted:

As for were I'll be riding, I live in a suburb of Baltimore. I might commute with it down a kinda lovely "highway"(stop and go traffic) occasionally. Most riding will probably be a bunch of backroads in the less dense suburbs and ruralish areas for fun.

Well, I don't blame them for recommending a 650cc or larger bike, since trying to ride a cruiser under 600ccs is an exercise in frustration, especially if you're going to be on the interstate or want to go above 65 mph. Ask me how I know - my first bike was a Honda Shadow 600. It was fine to learn on and going to and from work, but I sold it after a year for something that I could ride longer distances on without sounding like the engine is going to explode going over 65. If you want a cruiser style motorcycle, I would recommend a 750cc engine or larger.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shadowlz posted:

Your coworkers are either old men or total dweebs.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
The 9 Classic Stages of a CA Form Factor, Manufacturer, and Lifestyle Dust-Up

1) Someone flings stereotype dung over the wall at the "cruiser" crowd, who are generally minding their own business.

2) Good-natured ribbing.

3) Bad-natured ribbing.

4) Ad hominem, ad nauseum

5) Penalty Box

6) Peter Fonda shows up out of nowhere and says Hey man, all that matters is the ride.

7) Some annoying goon says Peter's right! I have one of everything and ride with everyone--young, old, bike, trike, stunting, poker runs, I do it all.

8) Everyone agrees with Peter and the self-canonized saint, begin singing Kumbaya.

9) Return to Stage 1 in 3 weeks.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

McTinkerson posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a Benelli TNT 1130? A local auction has one coming up in a couple weeks. Based on everything I can find I would logically want absolutely nothing to do with this bike - purely from a manufacturer support perspective. I cannot find a single dealer in Canada. I'm not actually sure how it ended up in the country. I've also heard anecdotaly that they like to spontaneously catch fire - like a true Italian.

It is a very pretty bike though.

By all accounts its like a mad Italian woman, it will use you and abuse you but you will love every minute of it. Except in the cold light of day when you will think you are mad.

Plus the company seems to be under new ownership almost every 6 months. So buy it so we can have something to read about

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking about an $1800 CBR125R as a first bike. I'm 5'10 and 180lbs, am I going to look like I'm on a clown bike?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh definitely but for learner bikes at that tier you're going to look like a giant no matter what.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nsaP posted:

Oh definitely but for learner bikes at that tier you're going to look like a giant no matter what.

Eh, I'm probably ok with that. The price is attractive and I don't really have a need for speed. At $1800 I can probably make back most of what I buy it for later if I upgrade so I'm probably gonna go that route.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

The 9 Classic Stages of a CA Form Factor, Manufacturer, and Lifestyle Dust-Up

1) Someone flings stereotype dung over the wall at the "cruiser" crowd, who are generally minding their own business.

2) Good-natured ribbing.

3) Bad-natured ribbing.

4) Ad hominem, ad nauseum

5) Penalty Box

6) Peter Fonda shows up out of nowhere and says Hey man, all that matters is the ride.

7) Some annoying goon says Peter's right! I have one of everything and ride with everyone--young, old, bike, trike, stunting, poker runs, I do it all.

8) Everyone agrees with Peter and the self-canonized saint, begin singing Kumbaya.

9) Return to Stage 1 in 3 weeks.

Meanwhile all the actual cool kids flick cigarettes at all the above people and ride away into the sunset on their Triumphs with McQueen and Brando. :coolfish:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm away for four days and this happens, what the gently caress.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Eh, I'm probably ok with that. The price is attractive and I don't really have a need for speed. At $1800 I can probably make back most of what I buy it for later if I upgrade so I'm probably gonna go that route.

Do not do this. Find anything thats atleast a 250 for around 2000-2500. You literally wont be safe on any roads above 80 km/h on that road legal pit bike. Seriously the 0-60 is like a Toyota Tercel and that is not safe when your on a bike. Also you will outgrow a 125 in weeks or days not months or years like a 250/300.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

HotCanadianChick posted:

Meanwhile all the actual cool kids flick cigarettes at all the above people and ride away into the sunset on their Triumphs with McQueen and Brando. :coolfish:

And Dylan. Oh wait, that didn't work out so well. Still, I think you're onto something. The Third Way, if you will. CL, here I come.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chichevache posted:

Your coworkers are either old men or total dweebs.

Some people prefer to ride versus wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

zapplez posted:

Do not do this. Find anything thats atleast a 250 for around 2000-2500. You literally wont be safe on any roads above 80 km/h on that road legal pit bike. Seriously the 0-60 is like a Toyota Tercel and that is not safe when your on a bike. Also you will outgrow a 125 in weeks or days not months or years like a 250/300.

Yeah I kinda assumed they were somewhere they had to get a 125 as a first bike, otherwise you're right.