Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The tweets thread is the best place to tell people to delete their twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Dans Macabre posted:

The tweets thread is the best place to tell people to delete their twitter account

it absolutely is

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Dans Macabre posted:

Of course, it contains the most convincing evidence

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Tweet threads on the Something Awful forums provide the best Twitter user experience by far.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

George posted:

it absolutely is

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/420YoloBoner/status/1790574401399775458

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Tweet threads on the Something Awful forums provide the best Twitter user experience by far.

agreed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://infosec.exchange/@nazgul/112443205195418997

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the war on drugs was a good jumping off point for teaching a couple of generations the benefits of solidarity with a community

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

I’d watch this movie

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want to believe

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/searchliaison/status/1790473952256786805

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hmm, a search on the web you say, that is an interesting innovation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im still laughin about brian eno spending all his time photoshopping huge asses onto girls pictures

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

im still laughin about brian eno spending all his time photoshopping huge asses onto girls pictures

it's amazing technology

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

(enlarging bottoms mostly)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Brian Enormous (Asses)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/__justplaying/status/1790725053794877606

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I hate those because I have to sit there counting on my fingers like a moron

and then once I work out how high the number 19 is i have to do it again with my password

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

1password ‘show in large type’ has the character number under the character, helps a lot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder how they’re storing the password if they can do that. some fixed number of combinations of positions and they hash the triple of those characters?

it’s not plaintext or single-character hashes, right?

right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Clearly homomorphic encryption.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hash each character individually

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

just decrypt it and check duh

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder how they’re storing the password if they can do that. some fixed number of combinations of positions and they hash the triple of those characters?

right?

I think that's about as good as it could be, and even that would leak password information if the hashes leaked -- it's a lot easier to brute-force a three-character combination than a password of arbitrary length.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
what practical purpose does "please enter 3 randomly selected characters from your password" serve that just typing the whole dang password in wouldn't

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
I suppose it could be interpreted as a (bad) attempt to implement a challenge/response-based login system, such that a malicious actor observing one login attempt would not be able to replay the login. Think someone shoulder-surfing the person logging into the site, or if the client computer has a RAT, etc.

A real version of this would be a private/public-key based challenge-response scheme, where the site would generate a challenge, the client would sign the challenge using their private key, and the site would verify the signed response with the public key. Human beings aren't so good at producing signatures, though.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

rotor posted:

https://youtu.be/P4VySkRVYhI?si=Hf_Wa37IJAp8doXT

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i would simply type my entire password

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Subjunctive posted:

right?

search your feelings

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Is that ally bank? They would repeatedly lock my brokerage account any time I logged in with my clock set to a different time zone from my address. They also let me make like two dozen checking accounts before I got bored. I used to use them just for their market api but discovered it was inaccurate over time. They're morons.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

dougdrums posted:

Is that ally bank? They would repeatedly lock my brokerage account any time I logged in with my clock set to a different time zone from my address. They also let me make like two dozen checking accounts before I got bored. I used to use them just for their market api but discovered it was inaccurate over time. They're morons.

i think it's natwest bank in the uk, i recognise the purple text in the ui. most of their digital experience isn't bad tbf although the website is markedly worse than the app. they also have one of those 'facial recognition' things when you set up a new payee which feels like it must be just the app sending a video of you moving the phone slowly towards your face to someone in india.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 16, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

you need to get a new bank op, everyone else just does fingerprint as primary and I think password/logon pin + otp as a fallback

it's funny to think of when it was just your user id and like a 6 digit number to get access to do absolutely anything on your online banking account

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

next time I have to phone the HMRC tax people about some bullshit it'll be interesting to see if they're still doing voice authentication (literally "my voice is my password verify me" iirc)now that it's easy to fake, though I guess what's someone gonna do? logon and pay my taxes?

love that scene in The Bourne Ultimatum where he clowns that guy by taping him saying his name with a dictaphone to open his voice locked safe, just smdh at the phrase not being keyed to "weedlord bonerhitler"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also I had to call up a company I hadn't called in like 10 years (transport for London) and they had security questions and one was "what was your childhood nickname" and I was like "oh poo poo i hope I didnt put weedlord...." But fortunately I'd put the truth which was "I didn't have one everyone called me by my last name"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

4 posts, zero tweets, eat poo poo elon

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also I had to call up a company I hadn't called in like 10 years (transport for London) and they had security questions and one was "what was your childhood nickname" and I was like "oh poo poo i hope I didnt put weedlord...." But fortunately I'd put the truth which was "I didn't have one everyone called me by my last name"

i simply put one of the various slurs i got called

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

have some content to offset having to read my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Generic Monk posted:

i think it's natwest bank in the uk, i recognise the purple text in the ui. most of their digital experience isn't bad tbf although the website is markedly worse than the app. they also have one of those 'facial recognition' things when you set up a new payee which feels like it must be just the app sending a video of you moving the phone slowly towards your face to someone in india.

It's definitely natwest and they have been using this awful password system for 2 decades now. The bank has given me some ridiculous problems since I left the UK where they refuse to entertain any correspondence made outside UK, and their app won't download or even work outside. I lost my card and had to jump through a series of hoops just to have them send it to me, which then got lost in mail, so I had to jump through the same hoops again. There are worse banks there but I also do not recommend natwest