Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

How did Roberts get some of these actors? Mark Hamill I actually understand because he was in the Wing Commander games, but Gary Oldman????

Money + "You guys raised 92 million without corporate investors? You're mocapping in Hollywood studios and hiring Hollywood talent? I want in on this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

According to the demonstrations I saw, it looks like they're delivering on the promises. Why all the talk about refunds and Derek Smart being right?

What did they deliver?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Dapper Dan posted:

The Witcher 3 has the best facial animations I have ever seen. It literally beats the ever-living poo poo out of whatever Croberts cooked up. The top of Gary Oldman's face is loving frozen like he's had five facelifts and a canister of botox injected into it.

Amazing direction, too. The "buddy" scene was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in a game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The witcher 3 is a modern marble of gaming

SC is a pissload of rear end

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Someone more talented should make a :vince: using the Gary Oldman face texture.

There's :crafty:, which looks the part.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dusty Lens posted:

I feel that it could burst into flame a little sooner and burn a little longer.

Being said I like it a great deal.

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

I feel that it could burst into flame a little sooner and burn a little longer.

Being said I like it a great deal.

It should be on fire the entire time. Would be a more accurate representation.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

According to the demonstrations I saw, it looks like they're delivering on the promises. Why all the talk about refunds and Derek Smart being right?

...You're joking, right? Which part convinced you, the 20 minutes of three people walking and nothing happening, the part where they didn't fight any other players, or the part where their cutting-edge equipment was lagging out simulating a battle between two ships?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It doesn't actually show anything though.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Das Butterbrot posted:

its good but not even close to LA noire

Ah, I've never played that. Which is probably why.

I said come in! posted:

That game gets updated weekly and a huge portion of it is playable, but it is in alpha and pretty rough right now but still far more complete then Star Citizen is.

At least it is playable, yeah.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Amazing direction, too. The "buddy" scene was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in a game.

Yup. People are thinking Squadron 42 is going to revolutionize gaming are just loving deluded beyond all hope.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wow, I left for a few days and thousands of new posts.

1. Was citizencon a success that restored our faith?

2. Are there any new funny pictures/videos?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone have a link of the gameplay they showed off?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

What did they deliver?

Space exploration + decent flight/combat model+ on ground combat + planetside content all coming together

Wasn't that the goal of this entire thing? Mechanics are difficult to get right, but once that's done, content is dirt cheap.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spacetoaster posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

CitizenCon made people even more skeptical of this game actually coming out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, remember all those cool games with A-list actors, like Ripper?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

1. christ no.
2. Oh yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va5A_fx3mb4

Every time I watch this it has more dislikes. They are getting pissed.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wasn't that the goal of this entire thing?

I thought the goal was pewpew fighters in space, kinda like ED. I dunno anything about this ground combat realistic space toilet bullshittery they're on about.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
What a douche.

There can be NO negativity citizen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Space exploration + decent flight/combat model+ on ground combat + planetside content all coming together

Wasn't that the goal of this entire thing? Mechanics are difficult to get right, but once that's done, content is dirt cheap.

I can see if you haven't been following the game too closely how you might think this, but it's smoke and mirrors. They are nowhere close to a playable game, the project is being viciously mismanaged, and they are almost out of money.

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

You are joking, right? Decent flight model? They flew in straight lines and docked. Their 'combat' were blips and consisted of 30 seconds of a 3 hour presentation when that is the whole point of the game. Their universe is a flash map with no evidence of anything but hopes and dreams. Their 'ground combat' was two minutes of him running around shooting at barely anything with still no cross-hair on the screen. The fight somehow ended magically when they cut out of it and that's all you saw. And gameplay was less than a third of a three hour con, when most of it was walking down corridors and flying in a lifeless void. Not to mention there was lag and chugging when run on their best hardware. It is not even close to being put on a normal PC, whatever it is.

More was shown about Robert's awful CGI movie than what you are actually doing in game.They have missed every single deadline. Every one. They have broken every promise they have made. Everything is coming out 'sometime soon'. Their big update was animated clouds and two new guns and respawn when you die. This is after three years and 90 million dollars. You go to E3 with this after 3 years and 90 million, you get loving laughed at.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 12, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Glad he's gone. Obtaining the adoration of many backers everywhere and the CIG staff as well, only to throw it all away in a sell out to the goons and Derek Smart. If I ever see him in game, I'm opening fire regardless of where he is in space.
You've been declared a suppressive person, you're fair game now. Such a fall from grace must not go unpunished.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mechanics are difficult to get right, but once that's done, content is dirt cheap.

[Citation needed]

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

1. christ no.
2. Oh yes.

Yeah I'm surprised. My other videos about SC have more views but this one has way more dislikes.
Most views come from "reddit" and "4chan". That's all the info youtube will give me.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

All fears were reassured my friend. By the way, care to help me with a referral.

I'm so close to Fishtank 2.0.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I can see if you haven't been following the game too closely how you might think this, but it's smoke and mirrors. They are nowhere close to a playable game, the project is being viciously mismanaged, and they are almost out of money.

Eh, I'll withhold judgement until I play 2.0 for myself, but wasn't the whole "out of money" thing unsubstantiated rumors coming from disgruntled employees? The numbers being thrown around just don't make sense, unless the whole mismanagement thing is really true (but I feel we'd be hearing a lot more from insiders if that were true)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3npo4o/is_star_citizen_running_out_of_money/

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

What a douche.

There can be NO negativity citizen.

A wise reddit poster posted:

Goons (who as an org are linked with Smart as well)

*High pitched Morrowind intro guy voice* AHHH, yes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper Dan posted:

They have broken every promise they have made.

They've never made any deadlines though :colbert:

Eh, I'll withhold judgement until I play 2.0 for myself, but wasn't the whole "out of money" thing unsubstantiated rumors coming from disgruntled employees? The numbers being thrown around just don't make sense, unless the whole mismanagement thing is really true (but I feel we'd be hearing a lot more from insiders if that were true)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3npo4o/is_star_citizen_running_out_of_money/

Can you support your assertion that the anonymous sources were actually disgruntled with CIG?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This is going to sound like a nitpick, but why is Gary Oldman giving that speech? Someone posted Churchill's speech that's Roberts is cribbing from but he forgot that Churchill is a politician. Military personnel rarely speak to a legislative body like that unless they're in a military dictatorship. I know here, in the United States, we've had speeches from military leaders in joint sessions of Congress, but, in our 300 years, they were never really during a war (although Eisenhower's speech on June 18th, 1945 might still count, but he was called by Congress to describe how well the Allies kicked the Nazis' asses) and are really only there to announce major organizational changes (such as Eisenhower announcing the creation of NATO and Gen. MacArthur's "old soldiers never die, they fade away" resignation).

The "call to arms" cries are always from politicians, because, you know, civilian control of the military.

Like I said, it's a nitpick, but I guess, since this is Roberts' baby, it gives us some insight in how his mind works.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

[Citation needed]

Well, I mean it's true in my game which takes place in dense environments consisting of nature/urban environments, so I'd imagine space with a couple satellite arrays and space stations made out of prefabs would be even cheaper.

The planetside content is what I'm skeptical of, but they're even building that modularly and that brings down costs a ton.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

1. christ no.
2. Oh yes.

I might of hosed it up, i hit like.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Matlock Birthmark posted:

All fears were reassured my friend. By the way, care to help me with a referral.

I'm so close to Fishtank 2.0.

:siren:

Not a cult.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

We've heard from 9 so far.

How much money do you have invested at this point?

The window on refunds is going to be shut pretty soon. You can always repurchase the game if things somehow turn around...

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

They showed a bunch of dots on a map as locations you can go someday.

I haven't played it, but it sounds like the flight/combat model in the arena thing is pretty janky.

You saw ground combat and Planetside content in all those cinematic's?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Young Freud posted:

This is going to sound like a nitpick, but why is Gary Oldman giving that speech? Someone posted Churchill's speech that's Roberts is cribbing from but he forgot that Churchill is a politician. Military personnel rarely speak to a legislative body like that unless they're in a military dictatorship. I know here, in the United States, we've had speeches from military leaders in joint sessions of Congress, but, in our 300 years, they were never really during a war (although Eisenhower's speech on June 18th, 1945 might still count, but he was called by Congress to describe how well the Allies kicked the Nazis' asses) and are really only there to announce major organizational changes (such as Eisenhower announcing the creation of NATO and Gen. MacArthur's "old soldiers never die, they fade away" resignation).

The "call to arms" cries are always from politicians, because, you know, civilian control of the military.

Like I said, it's a nitpick, but I guess, since this is Roberts' baby, it gives us some insight in how his mind works.

This game is Starship Troopers.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

2.0 is them scrapping their whole module concept and everything they have done with their fps to date and now with an undetermined deadline because they will never finish anything oh and everything they are showing looks like poo poo from 6 years ago

a huge portion of their budget was spent on getting big name actors to spend 60 days filming mocap at imaginarium studios and it still looked like trash

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 12, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I don't know how anyone see's this and doesn't immediately realise they are running out of money and are desperately trying to keep the money rolling in.

EDIT:
Reading your link, and this is the dumbest justification I have ever seen.

quote:

Figuring out it's income is easy as it's plastered all over the website and pretty much the only thing the press talks about in regards to this game. Some good folks in the community wanting to keep up with their donations created the Crowdfunding Development Spreadsheet. Using this, and the belief that the best way to predict future growth is from past results, I wanted to find the yearly income as a baseline. So I measured from 1/1/2014 to 1/1/2015. In that period Star Citizen raised around $32,000,000.
So that's a yearly income of $32,000,000.

They're not selling a subscription service, so pulling a yearly income figure out of the air is completely dumb.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 12, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^^ edit: and that's funny, too

Ok I am not loving reading 2100 new posts but I have been briefed on the situation and it is hilarious. Actually the whole

thing kind of sums up the whole SC experience for me, thanks.

vvv notacult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too all the Trolls who are crying that #@starcitizen was a a scam How does it taste after seeing citizencon, you all must feel loving stupid, oh wait your are loving stupid my bad -_- I keep my faith in the R.S.I Team because were getting are dream and dork smart failed with his propagand!!!!! 90 million proves that we citizens trust and are happy with how were seeing the game which in it self will be history in the making i am lucky to be apart of it So keep on trolling because your just wasting you time and to anyone who plays star citizen Flysafe my friends

• Locked thread