Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Overall the 5 mana 5 influence guys seem like a really well designed cycle, Sediti is a bit too strong but the rest are all pretty reasonable and see a decent amount of play.

Except the time guy. That guy could use a buff. It seems like for most Time decks you would just run Sediti or Tasbu depending on what your other faction is. And Praxis already has tough enough fire requirements that TTTTT is a pretty hard sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The time guy seems like a good fit in an Elysian Killers deck, but without that insignia, I can't get the influence to work out enough to be viable.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Bug?

Opponent has an aegis Champ of Cunning and a Dizo's Office.
On my turn I double madness, one to break aegis, one to steal it, swing and kill the Office
He gets the Champ back at EoT, but, crucially, it gets the aegis back?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Nosre posted:

Bug?

Opponent has an aegis Champ of Cunning and a Dizo's Office.
On my turn I double madness, one to break aegis, one to steal it, swing and kill the Office
He gets the Champ back at EoT, but, crucially, it gets the aegis back?

Yeah seems like a bug

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You didn't have enough primal influence yourself, right? So the champ went from not having Aegis at all (on your side of the table) to gaining Aegis once it's back on your opponent's side.

I believe that if you did have enough influence, it would have kept a broken aegis throughout and not gained a fresh one when going back to your opponent.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bamhand posted:

Tying the curse to him being alive is also a really good idea.

This honestly sounds like the best option. Make it like Marionette Cross, where destroying one kills the other. A 6/6 flying body is rough to deal with, that body with an added "do damage or I draw more cards" is OP, but a 6/6 flying body and curse combo that can get melted by a single Annihilate or Bore seems a lot more managable to play against while not actually damaging the card's utility.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It certainly damages the card's utility lol. But the card's utility should for sure be damaged.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jabor posted:

You didn't have enough primal influence yourself, right? So the champ went from not having Aegis at all (on your side of the table) to gaining Aegis once it's back on your opponent's side.

I believe that if you did have enough influence, it would have kept a broken aegis throughout and not gained a fresh one when going back to your opponent.

Oh yea I guess that makes sense; just really unintuitive

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

bamhand posted:

Overall the 5 mana 5 influence guys seem like a really well designed cycle, Sediti is a bit too strong but the rest are all pretty reasonable and see a decent amount of play.

Except the time guy. That guy could use a buff. It seems like for most Time decks you would just run Sediti or Tasbu depending on what your other faction is. And Praxis already has tough enough fire requirements that TTTTT is a pretty hard sell.

Honestly, XXXXX isn't all that hard these days. Especially with the Insignias, there's no point to going mono when it's basically a free splash with all the fixing that's in the game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's an issue for Praxis specifically because they need FFFTTT for Heart. Rakano doesn't have as big of a problem doing it since it has way more fixing for influence and power.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

No Wave posted:

It certainly damages the card's utility lol. But the card's utility should for sure be damaged.

I suspect Icaria might need to go back to 8 cost too. It’s not just Sediti who makes Valks so good right now, it’s also too easy for it to ramp to a an early Icaria.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There has been next to no draft chat itt for this expansion and I guess that's saying something in itself about the format.

I ran three more drafts today just to challenge my own assumptions about it but it didn't change for me. I went six and seven with two fire-based aggro decks and one with a time based mid-range. Every aggressive draft with fire that I've done for this set went five or better and everything else crashed and died so yeah I'm ready to give up on it until the next set. It's not that playing the games itself isn't fun anymore but drafting is hella boring if I know that forcing fire as main or secondary makes we win more often than not

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Tin Tim posted:

There has been next to no draft chat itt for this expansion and I guess that's saying something in itself about the format.

I ran three more drafts today just to challenge my own assumptions about it but it didn't change for me. I went six and seven with two fire-based aggro decks and one with a time based mid-range. Every aggressive draft with fire that I've done for this set went five or better and everything else crashed and died so yeah I'm ready to give up on it until the next set. It's not that playing the games itself isn't fun anymore but drafting is hella boring if I know that forcing fire as main or secondary makes we win more often than not

I've had a somewhat similar experience except Time for me has been the best. Anything with primal tends tkk be horrible unless you open lightning sprites

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

lazerwolf posted:

I've had a somewhat similar experience except Time for me has been the best. Anything with primal tends tkk be horrible unless you open lightning sprites
What time cards did you find to be strong enough to make you main it? I mean in the commons you get the 2 drop that ramps and behemoth is good too but I struggle to find other cards that I want for a competitve curve

The big strength of fire is that there's a lot of early power in the commons right now. Char, oni patrol, chaser, duelist, conscript and streets aflame are all commons and you even get a combat trick with maneuver. That's a lot of stuff to consistently win the early game with. Streets aflame and char also go to the dome and shift itself encourages aggressive play due to the sneak damage. It's hard to consistently defend and recover against that in limited and it pretty much always has been. It just seems to be more weighted right now with the consistency in the fire commons.

Oh and yeah primal is rough but it can also make a good support color if you hit any of the big fliers. There are two hits in the uncommons aside from sprite and seeing either of them early makes me perk up because there's more possible primal flier hits in the curated packs. You can make some really sick skycrag decks right now but they need to base their early curve on fire since the primal commons are mostly trashy. Surveyor is good and the buff helped murderous flock but you need the fire bodies to start a curve.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually enjoy the format but I agree primal was borderline unplayable until the last patch(and maybe since). I just haven't felt like playing much lately.

Anyway, patch notes! https://steamcommunity.com/games/531640/announcements/detail/1590251701190772903

Privilege of Rank - Now 2J “Draw a Justice Sigil from your deck. If Privilege of Rank is discarded, play it.” (Was 3J “Draw two Justice Sigils from your deck. If Privilege of Rank is discarded, play it.”)
Curse of Provocation (made by Sediti, the Killing Steel) - Now “At the end of the cursed player’s turn, if no damage was dealt, draw a card.” (Was “At the end of the cursed player's turn, if you didn't take damage, draw a card.”)
Razorquill - Now pay 2 and twist (was pay 1 and twist…)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Well, that's timely

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Elyv posted:

I actually enjoy the format but I agree primal was borderline unplayable until the last patch(and maybe since). I just haven't felt like playing much lately.

Anyway, patch notes! https://steamcommunity.com/games/531640/announcements/detail/1590251701190772903

Privilege of Rank - Now 2J “Draw a Justice Sigil from your deck. If Privilege of Rank is discarded, play it.” (Was 3J “Draw two Justice Sigils from your deck. If Privilege of Rank is discarded, play it.”)
Curse of Provocation (made by Sediti, the Killing Steel) - Now “At the end of the cursed player’s turn, if no damage was dealt, draw a card.” (Was “At the end of the cursed player's turn, if you didn't take damage, draw a card.”)
Razorquill - Now pay 2 and twist (was pay 1 and twist…)

Privilege of Rank is super dead. RIP reanimator.
The Curse is a bit more limited now, but I'm not 100% sure if it went far enough.
RIP Katra Combo. For no reason at all.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 19, 2019

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Tin Tim posted:

What time cards did you find to be strong enough to make you main it? I mean in the commons you get the 2 drop that ramps and behemoth is good too but I struggle to find other cards that I want for a competitve curve

The big strength of fire is that there's a lot of early power in the commons right now. Char, oni patrol, chaser, duelist, conscript and streets aflame are all commons and you even get a combat trick with maneuver. That's a lot of stuff to consistently win the early game with. Streets aflame and char also go to the dome and shift itself encourages aggressive play due to the sneak damage. It's hard to consistently defend and recover against that in limited and it pretty much always has been. It just seems to be more weighted right now with the consistency in the fire commons.

Oh and yeah primal is rough but it can also make a good support color if you hit any of the big fliers. There are two hits in the uncommons aside from sprite and seeing either of them early makes me perk up because there's more possible primal flier hits in the curated packs. You can make some really sick skycrag decks right now but they need to base their early curve on fire since the primal commons are mostly trashy. Surveyor is good and the buff helped murderous flock but you need the fire bodies to start a curve.

All good time decks had at least 1 horn of plenty. Xenan with horn was always busted. Horn, devotee, behemoth and ooze from the new set. Training ground, Refresh and amanera from curated packs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's actually unreal how busted curse was. Compare it to staff of stories, it's just ridiculous. It still seems like a tier one card but idk who knows.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Roluth posted:

RIP Katra Combo. For no reason at all.

No one:

DWD: Katra combo is dead

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Nibble posted:

No one:

Invoke/Diogo Combo is probably next, given their reasoning for this nerf. Man, combo never gets to live very long in this game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can play 2 of the 1/3 guys and still technically pull if off right?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yeah it's still doable, just that much less consistent.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Three new cards:

Seems like they are trying to push Shift and Twist again, after those mechanics failed to penetrate ranked at all. And honestly, it looks like it will continue to be the case if this is the new standard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Distilled Venom may actually be the most useless card they've ever printed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a draft card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's even more useless in draft than constructed. Like you would have to be drunk or new to ever put that in a draft deck.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What about that legendary that mills you if it's the bottom cars in your deck.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Headhunter and Distilled Venom is a fun combo, which is more than you can say for a lot of clunker cards.

Whether that is good in any way is something else entirely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

No Wave posted:

It's even more useless in draft than constructed. Like you would have to be drunk or new to ever put that in a draft deck.

It does powerful stuff if you have enough Twist cards to turn it on. There are a handful of one-health Twist commons (and presumably more coming in the set that this card is in) that are balanced around you needing to put in something else if you want to twist them repeatedly - and this is one of the best cards to do that with.

Obviously, it does absolutely nothing in most decks. That means that if you are on the deck where it's good, it's really easy for you to pick it up at the tail end of the pack.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok you're actually right and I'm wrong. I'd forgotten about the one and dones. My b.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

From what it looks like, this mini-set appears to be a "re-do" of set 6, considering that only Onslaught made any sort of splash. I'm not seeing any big "wow" cards yet though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Roluth posted:

Seems like they are trying to push Shift and Twist again, after those mechanics failed to penetrate ranked at all.

Nibble posted:

No one:

DWD: use our new mechanics

A few people: oh hey we can inconsistently set up an infinite if we get exactly the right units in play

DWD: don't use them like that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Trailcutter is pretty good right? A 2/2 for 2 with just "pay 5: Draw a card" doesn't suck even disregarding all the Shift stuff going on (although obviously potentially playing your drawn card for free can be huge). Also do we know yet if these cards will even show up in draft? All I've read is that this isn't a normal full expansion, but it also isn't a Campaign. Haven't been paying close attention though so it's certainly possible I've missed some news

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The timing would make sense for these cards to be part of a campaign. All I'm hoping for is a shake up of the draft format please.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/the-trials-of-grodov/

Neat

Huh, now that I'm reading it, it's like a campaign pack but without any actual campaign, just locked up cards? Odd

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 19, 2019

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Knorth posted:

https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/the-trials-of-grodov/

Neat

Huh, now that I'm reading it, it's like a campaign pack but without any actual campaign, just locked up cards? Odd

So, it's just a campaign, but without the actual campaign. Just straight up money for cards.
And they're releasing the rest of the Insignias early, for some reason. Panicking at the state of the meta?

Oh and that card is just a vanilla 5/5 for 4 that does nothing on play and dies to Vanquish. Meh.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 20, 2019

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

New sigils look sweet.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Roluth posted:

So, it's just a campaign, but without the actual campaign. Just straight up money for cards.
And they're releasing the rest of the Insignias early, for some reason. Panicking at the state of the meta?

Oh and that card is just a vanilla 5/5 for 4 that does nothing on play and dies to Vanquish. Meh.

It's shard of the spire with a body.

New premium sigils look OK not sure if they are worth like $50 of gems

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

lazerwolf posted:

It's shard of the spire with a body

Yep. And we all know why Shard never saw play. Campaign-but-not looks like a bust so far, aside from the Insignias, which will make the campaign a required purchase in of themselves.