Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bumble He posted:

i dont know how they ever want to fix that. latency and lag is such an extremely important factor. i play lots of old consoles and also emulators of course. zero input lag is the holy grail of retro gaming, because emulators add lag and often hdtvs also. input lag is meassured in frames. 4 frames of input lag is considered a disaster.

i really dont know to which audience they want to sell stadia. hardcore gamers certainly not. moreso because this crowd cant wait to camp outside of electronic stores to get their new generation console.

It may have been 'I have the supply and I'll CREATE the demand' sort of enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete posted:

If it's a true MMO you'd think in the thousands in which case lol that is never going to happen.

take a wild guess.
spoiler: it involves unrealistic promises that will never see the light of day

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao if you think CIG can move players between servers dynamically like wow.

Its 50 total. And you can't pick the server you're on afaik?

If it was a dynamic 50 per area it'd be a mmo already.

Also, lol at 50. Project1999, a fan everquest server, has 2,000 or so active connections to each server, and if it drops to like 1k then it feels like a ghost town.

Can't imagine spreading 50 people through all of 3d space.

Wow, drat. How the hell does Rexzilla manage to organize his streams, then? How do you even play with friends? Is there some way to choose what people you'll be grouped in a server with?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wow, drat. How the hell does Rexzilla manage to organize his streams, then? How do you even play with friends? Is there some way to choose what people you'll be grouped in a server with?
the devs spin up a sever for him, he invites people and they server kick out anyone not down to play pretend that day

seriously

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and no, if the server if full, your friends can't join.

also the grouping / guild system is loving awful and pretty bare bones

but ya know, early days

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

quote:

So with the next big release a lot of the underlying game is there and then we can look at transferring people between servers so we can have hundreds of thousands of people maybe in one instance, but that doesn’t come online until later.

Erin Roberts to Wccftech published Feb 17, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah man hundreds of thousands of people in one instance with real time combat and complex physic reactions on player manipulated objects

I can't imagine anyone reading that and believing a goddamn word of it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the servers and your client absolutely poo poo themselves if more than a few "large" ships engage in combat, let alone start firing missiles or blow up

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and by few I mean like 3

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:
Requested a refund days ago, and now Crytek vs SC lawsuit scary stuff.

So i came back to 3.8 brought a pack hear a lot of good things, but consist crashes after crashes literally 3.8 is the most broken and buggiest to me. I have applied for a refund and still waiting no answer still, am scared to hear now there's another lawsuit involving these two companies. From watching and talking to others about SCs development and troubling financial past does bother me.

Basically am trying to pull out get my money and run, now i hear about this lawsuit on SC i want to take my money and run. Am losing my faith in SC and there's plans. Never mind the rumour of SQ42 being pushed further back.
[removed by moderators]

Responses:

You should probably educate yourself on the details of the lawsuit before passing judgement.

Guy plays Fallout 76 but cant handle SC bugs, funny :)

Even outside of the frivolous lawsuit....
*CIG has biggest funding year ever*
i hEarD CIg wAS iN fiNAnciAl tRouBLE
They'll get back to you when they work through the holiday support backlog. Take your $45 and go kick rocks, CIG doesn't need it.

Welcome to Alpha!

I'm guessing we'll see you perhaps again in a year.....if not, on launch day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

but ya know, early days

Star Citizen: Imagine the worst mess of a game you can. Its much worse than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dementropy posted:

It IS funny, dear redditor!

Fallout 76 is a huge dumpster fire of a disaster. But its PLAYABLE. And features more than 50 players. LMAO.

There are gameplay loops in Fallout 76. They aren't fun, but you can DO them.

Far, FAR more than you can say about SC. The only reason F76 had a bigger public backlash is because nobody gives a poo poo about SC. The only people who even know SC exists are the people who are so sunk-cost they can't allow it to fail.

Either you've invested $100+ in SC and NEED it to come out, or you couldn't give a flying gently caress about it. There are no casual fans following SC for 7+ years and thinking "yeah, I'll get this when it comes out"

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • this happens "often" but should be "eased" in 2020 due to new 3rd party help from an outside firm
  • this help involves a custom built CE toolset, better regs and code oversight
  • "This isn't something everyone is happy about."
  • this includes "dailies-like" bi-monthly updates to top brass and outside firm
  • the sq42 visual teaser shown xmas day was one of these
  • updates consist of three "courses": gameplay, in-game visuals and cutscenes
  • supposedly SQ42 content is already in SC - mission givers like miles eckhart are considered SQ42 NPCs
  • huge issue when the 3rd party played a recent SC patch (3.8?)
  • "They were surprised because [CR? ER?] gave them the impression of a fully-functioning game with little-to-no bugs."

So CIG has been put on a Performance Plan?

You know, like an employee for whom you need to build a paper trail before you fire them?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't think they're a game design company, right?

To be fair, neither is CI(G).

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dementropy posted:

So i came back to 3.8 brought a pack hear a lot of good things, but consist crashes after crashes literally 3.8 is the most broken and buggiest to me. I have applied for a refund and still waiting no answer still, am scared to hear now there's another lawsuit involving these two companies. From watching and talking to others about SCs development and troubling financial past does bother me.

Basically am trying to pull out get my money and run, now i hear about this lawsuit on SC i want to take my money and run. Am losing my faith in SC and there's plans. Never mind the rumour of SQ42 being pushed further back.
[removed by moderators]

Responses:

You should probably educate yourself on the details of the lawsuit before passing judgement.

They'll get back to you when they work through the holiday support backlog. Take your $45 and go kick rocks, CIG doesn't need it.

Welcome to Alpha!

:reddit: It's the same lawsuit and CryTek is stalling because they have no chance of winning unless the judge doesn't understand software development.

:v:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen now has a publisher :gary:

It makes so much sense.

Calder money invested. Sandi gone. Chris on camera only a half dozen times out of 2019 and more non-committal than ever about targets and dates. (A complete 180 after 6 years.)

There was already a strong circumstantial case for Chris operating under some other party’s thumb. Calder money was pitched as the way to market Squadron for a big Summer 2020 release, but he can’t market what he doesn’t have a clue how to finish.

3rd party retained to fix the biggest mess in gaming history. Chris now trying to pretend it’s not Freelancer all over again, because both he and the backers refuse to believe he’s an incompetent relic incapable of delivering finished games all by his brilliant self.

Also, if Crytek learned via discovery that other parties are assuming control to get Squadron cut down and shipped, why wouldn’t they want to wait? Squadron actually might have a chance of getting gutted and hammered down into a releasable thing if Chris got sidelined, the spec got downsized, and competent outside project managers / developers got the salvage duties.

Sooner or later, Chris is going to have to update the official Squadron narrative again. Even if he doesn’t come right out and admit he smashed the “in case of emergency” glass. I’d be amazed if we don’t get a new Squadron story in the next month.

TheAgent posted:

the devs spin up a sever for him, he invites people and they server kick out anyone not down to play pretend that day

seriously

Uh, excuse me, I was assured by no less than authority than Jade Starwatcher herself that this was just an Alex Jonesian theory with no basis in fact.

What we witnessed was simply the new era of Star Citizen, and fear of the new leads to salt. Stop being salty, dammit!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

Erin said 1000 player server meshing is happening in 2019. Stayed tuned!

They dropped that from 1600. They’re getting *so close* now. 0 to 60 in seven years.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grubby Hobo posted:

So CIG has been put on a Performance Plan?

You know, like an employee for whom you need to build a paper trail before you fire them?

Double-secret probation. Delta Chi will regret their hijinks!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Germany is expected to give over $10m in tax credits to F42 in 2020(1?) alone
  • costs continue to rise and studios continue to expand which promote higher tax incentives
  • "You can make money from failure. Thank the taxpayers for keeping us alive and investment spry."
  • a new hire is expected to be an "expert" in less than 12 weeks from hire date
  • confusion about what exactly management does or what newly hired "leads" do
  • "rudderless" direction until "last second" changes, including art and design
  • due to this, programmers create shortcuts that will be "fixed later"
  • if those programmers leave, it causes massive confusion within the team as they try and piece together solutions
  • this happens "often" but should be "eased" in 2020 due to new 3rd party help from an outside firm
  • supposedly SQ42 content is already in SC - mission givers like miles eckhart are considered SQ42 NPCs
  • "They were surprised because [CR? ER?] gave them the impression of a fully-functioning game with little-to-no bugs."

This is good for Star Citizen.

There is definitely some third party pulling the strings in some way and Chris and Sandi are being pushed further into the background.

A Freelancer scenario with a quasi publisher takeover would be really fitting. Though an ending with Chris trying to keep all of the plates spinning until the last possible second would be funnier. I can just imagine Baghdad Lando on a live stream pounding the table and yelling that CIG isn’t insolvent, just as we see the sheriffs enter the building in the background. At the last possible moment Clifford/Miku buys a new Idris variant for $1200, finally reaching $100k in total spending.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 9, 2020

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

0 to 60 in seven years.

I'd imagine a car designed by CR to have the same performance. :D

It would be hosed by having 23 wheels and only half a driveshaft turning them, not to mention the 37 reverse gears (with overdrive) but only 1 straight cut forward gear, that has more missing teeth than a bad bare knuckle boxer, an exhaust system that comes pre-packed solidly from manifold to tail pipe with potatos, an engine that couldn't turn a spoon in yogurt, and a choice of 42 accelerator pedals, all mounted for convieniance on the front bumper, upsidedown. I could go into the techical details of such a mothorbvehicle, but I fear I would get carried away with unenthusiasm.

(I'm sorry, but at the same time, I'm not) :D

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

hi, it's year 9 of the development of our revolutionary space mmo that cost a quarter of a billion dollars, we are going to launch an experimental server that has 60 players instead of 50, we realise this is a huge increase but hopefully we can handle it.
Thanks,
A loving Idiot

PS. Please don’t look at the elevators

PPS. Stop asking where the money went. What is money anyway?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

It would be hosed by having 23 wheels and only half a driveshaft turning them, not to mention the 37 reverse gears (with overdrive) but only 1 straight cut forward gear, that has more missing teeth than a bad bare knuckle boxer, an exhaust system that comes pre-packed solidly from manifold to tail pipe with potatos, an engine that couldn't turn a spoon in yogurt, and a choice of 42 accelerator pedals, all mounted for convieniance on the front bumper, upsidedown. I could go into the techical details of such a mothorbvehicle, but I fear I would get carried away with unenthusiasm.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Sabreseven posted:

But it would have technology that other cars could only dream of like argon.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Meanwhile, on /r/Gaming...
:reddit: Teaching my friend how to mine, I think he's getting the hang of it!

:confused: What game is that?

:v: Star Citizen. Without a doubt, the worst game in the history of video games that is the most worth it to try out in it's current state. It's still totally broken after 8 years of development and $262,706,101 sunk into it and completely lacks any real gameplay of any kind whatsoever. That said, it's massive and incredibly impressive, and one of the most mind-blowing gaming experiences you will ever have even though it's garbage. I would never even recommend it to my worst enemy because it is so trash, however, it is truly incredible and I highly recommend giving it a shot for the "space tourism" aspect of it. Edit: For those confused. Yes.

:reddit: You spent a bunch of money on a pre-alpha game and now you're mad that it didn't live up to your expectations, that's your fault. I totally agree it's a buggy mess atm, but there is plenty of content and things to do in the game.

:v: Woo! I found a straggler from the /r/starcitizen subreddit. BACK TO WHENCE YOU CAME SCUM! For the rest of your, here we have a nice clear example of the toxicity* of the Star Citizen community and probably the single best reason NOT to get involved with the game. If the community wasn't so infested with complete twats that blatantly assault the intelligence of anyone who speaks anything aside from the highest praise of the game, I would recommend the game to more people.

* = link to FTR's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0QK7AREz_U

:lol::lol:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Germany is expected to give over $10m in tax credits to F42 in 2020(1?) alone
  • costs continue to rise and studios continue to expand which promote higher tax incentives
  • "You can make money from failure. Thank the taxpayers for keeping us alive and investment spry."
  • a new hire is expected to be an "expert" in less than 12 weeks from hire date
  • confusion about what exactly management does or what newly hired "leads" do
  • "rudderless" direction until "last second" changes, including art and design
  • due to this, programmers create shortcuts that will be "fixed later"
  • if those programmers leave, it causes massive confusion within the team as they try and piece together solutions

I missed these.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dementropy posted:

[removed by moderators]

Responses:

Welcome to Alpha!

Probably didn't even try eating a bag of dicks first

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

This year player count is up 20% !!!

After 8 years player count has only reached .0375% of its goal of 1600... and it's only a first alpha test ...so dosent really work.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
As usual, I thought the "now we're testing 10 more players, but don't get your hopes up," was a joke post. It would clearly have to be, since that only adds up to 60 players.

If WOW had 60 players per server you could play for a week and be lucky to see another person. If everyone was spread throughout all the zones you'd be lucky to find one even if you went looking. That's like 7 players per expansion. But Star Citizen will be the biggest, a universe in size!

One where you'll never see another player as long as you live. They might as well just claim to be an MMO, and just release a single-player game with a chat window. When people complain they can't see their friends, CIG can tell them the game is just that big, and they're probably communicating their coords to each other wrong.

No, no, it's the other pizza cart in Port Fuckstick. Once we meet up we'll have an epic bounty hunting criminal multicrew territorial fleet battle with nobody else for no stakes on a crashing server.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

but ya know, early days

the grouping system is so loving bad that every time I even think about going "lol we should do another goon stream" I end up just pounding a nail through my dick because it's easier and more fun

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

the grouping system is so loving bad that every time I even think about going "lol we should do another goon stream" I end up just pounding a nail through my dick because it's easier and more fun

I can sell you a picture of a hammer that provides multiplayer capabilities for nailing dicks. Concept only! $1000. No refunds!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ggangensis posted:

Yeah, but changing the player-limit constant from 50 to 60 is probably the only thing their competence allows for these days. And even that is a stretch. :trustme: "Oops, the size of this array was hardcoded to 50 instead of using the player limit constant and now we have strange memory corruptions. Time for the bugsmashers!"

My immediate question is, this apparent 20% increase in client capacity…

…how large a portion of that is just down to universal increased hardware performance in the period since the 50-client cap was rolled out?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

I know there are probably a dozen different answers to this but what is the player limit goal anyways? If it's a true MMO you'd think in the thousands in which case lol that is never going to happen.

Originally it was supposed to be in the multiple thousands, and player orgs could engage in Eve style massive battles for entire planets and star systems. Citizens could even have command ships and play an RTS mini game to control it all.

All of that has been progressively walked back to something around the low hundreds, but only when CIGs new miracle never done before tech “server meshing” comes online in current year plus one.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Tippis posted:

My immediate question is, this apparent 20% increase in client capacity…

…how large a portion of that is just down to universal increased hardware performance in the period since the 50-client cap was rolled out?

Intern: Mr Space, Mr Space! I figured out how to reduce our server costs by 20%! /types: sv_maxplayers 60

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The whole 50 person limit is funny since it only matters because they made it matter.

If everything else in Star Citizen was fine and good, and had 100 star systems and you were shunted to a different server for each system and it had all the functioning systems it wouldn't matter. WoW was never, ever better when you had 200 people inside your rear end. But citizens didn't know that. They had to be taught dumb poo poo to repeat dumb poo poo.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

An Imbecile on Frontier Forums can't see why 50 player caps are an issue posted:

Well, since 1 ship will be handled as a separate virtual server and different sections of said ship can then be cut into other different virtual servers i do not see the problem...until everyone decides to crowd the bridge...

So with a battle between 5 multicrew ships with 5 people in each there would be 6 virtual servers at least.

This pretty much encapsulates why Store Citizer can continue to shamble on while being a zombified corpse.

90 days tops would be an accurate assessment if Citizers had any critical thinking at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

One where you'll never see another player as long as you live. They might as well just claim to be an MMO, and just release a single-player game with a chat window. When people complain they can't see their friends, CIG can tell them the game is just that big, and they're probably communicating their coords to each other wrong.

NMS tried this, but it didn't fly because internet streamers truly have no life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

The whole 50 person limit is funny since it only matters because they made it matter.

If everything else in Star Citizen was fine and good, and had 100 star systems and you were shunted to a different server for each system and it had all the functioning systems it wouldn't matter. WoW was never, ever better when you had 200 people inside your rear end. But citizens didn't know that. They had to be taught dumb poo poo to repeat dumb poo poo.

Yeah, with a powerful enough dynamic matchmaking system, you could get away with never really having more than like 20-40 players in a single space, and still have the feeling of being in a massive world with millions of other players who you could play with at any moment.

That's what Destiny tries to be, to mixed success.

But nobody at CIG knows how to architect a game server or an MMO environment, all they can do is pile things on top of base crytek FPS code, so they will never get there.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dementropy posted:

if not, on launch day.

Chances are non-existent.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Its early days tier 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Probably didn't even try eating a bag of dicks first

Nothing wrong with a tour of dick snacking.