Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

So how do you keep track of which way north is as you drive? Even using a paper map, rotating it as I go is the only way I can use it.

I don't. Unless your route is just "head north", it's not really relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't most cars tell you what direction you're facing in the rear view mirror these days?
Ridiculously enough, the compass was reserved for higher trim packages in our 2014 Accord (and newer Hondas as well). I think this is the only reason we upgraded, because if my 2001 Forester can come with a drat compass, I sure as poo poo was going to have one in my brand-new Accord.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Don't most cars tell you what direction you're facing in the rear view mirror these days?

Maybe in the US but I've never seen a compass here.

If you're using app navigation, leaving it as "north is always up" instead of rotating maps makes it way easier to understand directions and improvise when you get sudden changes in traffic. If you continue to rely on a map that's always "forward is up" then you'll continue to be lost when you don't have access to a phone

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Look at this bougie poo poo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've been doing "forward is up" with paper maps for way longer than smart phones have existed. Yeah, I'm always lost, but at least it gives me something to help keep track of which way I'm facing. If I kept north at the top the whole time I was using a map I'd be able to think "okay, I was traveling east and turned right, so now I'm going south" but if I lost my train of thought for even a second I'd have no way of knowing which way I was going.

Also, I have no idea what is meant by a rear view mirror telling you direction.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jan 22, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also, I have no idea what is meant by a rear view mirror telling you direction.

Just a small digital readout at the corner of the rearview that says the direction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Forward is up" helps on paper maps when you don't have GPS and are trying to work out your location by landmarks.

Brawnfire posted:

Just a small digital readout at the corner of the rearview that says the direction.

I have never seen or heard of that before.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think my parents had a car that had a digital compass in it, but I don't think their current car does. I'm not sure the last time I saw a car compass that wasn't a little thing you popped in the dashboard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because orienting a map so that north on the map is pointing north (and that your direction of travel is facing away from you) is a pretty common thing to do when navigating.

It's what Google Maps etc do when you're getting directions, for example.
It only does that if you turn that option on (or fail to turn it off, whichever way it goes). I never use it because not having north at the top is incredibly confusing.

So how do you keep track of which way north is as you drive?
If you were travelling north and you turned left, now you're travelling west. It's not rocket science.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So how do you keep track of which way north is as you drive? Even using a paper map, rotating it as I go is the only way I can use it.

I just feel it without really thinking about it, if i have a map i can just parse the shape of the roads around me onto the shapes on the map as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

It only does that if you turn that option on (or fail to turn it off, whichever way it goes). I never use it because not having north at the top is incredibly confusing.

Yeah video games that do this confuse the hell out of me, I'll often just turn the map off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think there’s a fundamental disconenct between the (good smart) people who manage to keep track of cardinal directions and the perpetually-lost.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Leavemywife posted:

I think my parents had a car that had a digital compass in it, but I don't think their current car does. I'm not sure the last time I saw a car compass that wasn't a little thing you popped in the dashboard.

The only time we ever saw a compass in a car was when we hired a car in the US.
Never seen one before and never seen one since.
We don't tend to use cardinal directions to navigate, we use road names and street signs and the major roads tell you what what places are reached by following that road in that direction.
Plus GPS and old school following a map.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think there’s a fundamental disconenct between the (good smart) people who manage to keep track of cardinal directions and the perpetually-lost.

I don't doubt it. That's why I'm trying to figure out how some people are able to look at a map and just divine which way they are facing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oldpainless posted:

North is up

South is down

Going downtown? Go south.

Going uptown? Go north.

Where I live, uptown is south of downtown.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

At this point in my life, I navigate almost entirely in terms of bus routes. I can tell you what route or elaborate combination of routes to take to get drat near anywhere, but if you ask me how to drive to the same place, you'll just get a blank stare while I try to figure out what a road even is.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

docbeard posted:

At this point in my life, I navigate almost entirely in terms of bus routes. I can tell you what route or elaborate combination of routes to take to get drat near anywhere, but if you ask me how to drive to the same place, you'll just get a blank stare while I try to figure out what a road even is.

James May once followed a bus that said "Guildwood" for half an hour because that's where Top Gear's studio is.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

If I ask for ID (Place selling alcohol, picking up packages etc.) Please hold out your ID so I can actually read it. Close to my face, no fingers covering half of your name, preferably not upside down. That way I do not have to feel like an rear end in a top hat for asking you to show it more clearly. I want to trust you, just make it easy for me ok.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hand it to them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Midig posted:

If I ask for ID (Place selling alcohol, picking up packages etc.) Please hold out your ID so I can actually read it. Close to my face, no fingers covering half of your name, preferably not upside down. That way I do not have to feel like an rear end in a top hat for asking you to show it more clearly. I want to trust you, just make it easy for me ok.

also, don't get mad at me for asking. or make stupid jokes about it being counterfeit, because I legally *have to take that seriously* and therefore will then have to not give you your booze. It sucks for both of us, please, please, just make this easy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And if I have to scan it, don't look at me like a slack jawed gently caress, just pull out the goddamn ID. I don't want to do it, but I'd rather not get my rear end chewed out because you think it's stupid I have to scan it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

From the other end, gently caress stores that only accept driver's licenses as ID. Not all people drive cars! I had to use a fake driver's license from age 18 to 24 because so many cashiers were trained to not accept anything else.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Any place that does not accept passports as ID should be removed. People lose bank IDs or do not drive, but people have passports at home for emergencies.

Midig has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Jan 23, 2019

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Midig posted:

Any place that does not accept passports as ID should be removed. People lose bank IDs or do not drive, but people have passports at home for emergencies.

i've never had a passport in my life :shrug:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Also, for the same reason, don't make fuckin' jokes about counterfeit money, because now I gotta refuse the sale. Now you're pissed and yelling at me and I am quietly contemplating if it'd be easier to be homeless than work this loving job.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FluxFaun posted:

Also, for the same reason, don't make fuckin' jokes about counterfeit money, because now I gotta refuse the sale. Now you're pissed and yelling at me and I am quietly contemplating if it'd be easier to be homeless than work this loving job.

Rules like this are a peeve of mine. Are there any stats on money being more likely or less likely to be counterfeit when the person says they just printed it up, vs when they say nothing?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

From the other end, gently caress stores that only accept driver's licenses as ID. Not all people drive cars! I had to use a fake driver's license from age 18 to 24 because so many cashiers were trained to not accept anything else.
You can get an official state ID to serve this purpose, most likely from the same place you'd get a driver's license. This is what my grandmother did when she could no longer drive.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Everybody who is old enough to have an official government issued ID should probably have one, but I think the peeve is some places specifically requiring a driver's license. I know from experience at our own place that sometimes it's just bad/unclear training. A lot of people ask for a drivers license when they actually mean ID, so then the trainee assumes that a license is the only type of acceptable ID.

I don't know why any non-driving-related product or service should specifically require a license instead of an ID card, passport, or some other form of valid ID.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

rchandra posted:

Rules like this are a peeve of mine. Are there any stats on money being more likely or less likely to be counterfeit when the person says they just printed it up, vs when they say nothing?

I work 2 jobs- one's a small non-profit thrift store I enjoy very much, one's a horrible corporate gas station chain. guess which one has this loving stupid rule? (spoiler, it's the gas station.)

From how it was explained to me, it's because we have to treat "every chance of counterfeit" seriously. It's stupid, like, really, really stupid. But also I need to pay rent so I follow it anyway.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

You can get an official state ID to serve this purpose, most likely from the same place you'd get a driver's license. This is what my grandmother did when she could no longer drive.

That's what I had, nobody would accept it because it wasn't a driver's license.

That counterfeiting rule seems like a good rule because it discourages people from ever making that loving joke again.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's basically official policy of border agents that if you joke with them it means you're nervous and therefore you have something to hide. I'm pretty sure it's just so they don't have to hear the same joke declarations from everyone going in to Canada.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you insist on joking with people who are forced to interact with you on the job then you deserve everything you get.

Yesterday this guy was like “a neuter is how much?? poo poo i could do it myself!!” and it was especially bothersome because idiots attempting stuff like that is absolutely heard of. Listen fuckwit, the emergency bill from your botched redneck surgery is going to be higher.

Here’s a peeve: people who don’t factor in “your pet will need healthcare” when getting one and/or think that healthcare won’t cost money. Sorry we would honestly run as a nonprofit if possible but we can’t. This is your reaponsibility.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Jan 23, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Finding out that a word/name in the fiction you're working on is a well-known word/name in another work, and the decision about whether it's distinct enough that you don't need to change it.

For instance I've been using "mako" as part of a village-naming construct in one of my novel's cultures. Within the past two days I've seen multiple references to "mako energy" and find out there's an anime with "mako" as an energy source.

Ok, there's only so many combinations of phonemes. This is a fictional culture, and a fictional language, and a completely different concept altogether. People understand when you refer to a hamlet that you're not referencing Hamlet.

But that nagging feeling is still there. I "made up" the word so I can change it and remove the conflation and the doubt. However, by the same token I selected the word because it looked and sounded appropriate.

This is without even getting into the torture of discovering thematically-similar works to my own and being overcome with the "why even bother" despair.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

Finding out that a word/name in the fiction you're working on is a well-known word/name in another work, and the decision about whether it's distinct enough that you don't need to change it.

For instance I've been using "mako" as part of a village-naming construct in one of my novel's cultures. Within the past two days I've seen multiple references to "mako energy" and find out there's an anime with "mako" as an energy source.

"Mako" is a pretty common word/sound in both real life and fiction. I wouldn't regard that as a problem though. :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dang, that's more than I thought.

I've been running most terms I pick through Wiktionary but I guess I should do Wikipedia too.

I suppose you're right it's really not a problem, especially because it's rarely alone, usually paired with a geographic referent.

Here's a peeve: how drat anxious trying to be creative makes me. Nobody gives a poo poo but me and I still can't just let go and write.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

rodbeard posted:

It's basically official policy of border agents that if you joke with them it means you're nervous and therefore you have something to hide. I'm pretty sure it's just so they don't have to hear the same joke declarations from everyone going in to Canada.
What about when the border agents joke with you? They asked a friend of mine, "Got any girls in your trunk?" He replied, "If I did, they'd be dead." The agent laughed and waved him through. (There are three convenient border crossings where I live, and some are way more uptight than others--though I've never encountered a bad Canadian border agent. :canada:)

My related pet peeve (which can be extrapolated out to many similar situations) is people who don't have their poo poo together (tolls, passports, etc.) when they get to the booth. What were you doing in that long line before you reached that point, idiot?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I had an ID card and a DL and when I renewed my license they said I had to get rid of the ID card because you could only have one or the other. When I asked why or how it made any sense, none the employees had an answer.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

oldpainless posted:

I had an ID card and a DL and when I renewed my license they said I had to get rid of the ID card because you could only have one or the other. When I asked why or how it made any sense, none the employees had an answer.

Clerk: We need to see government issued ID.
Me: Here's my health card.
Clerk: We can't accept that.
Me: Here's my firearms licence.
Clerk: I don't think we accept that.
Me: Here's my birth certificate.
Clerk: It has to be photo ID.
Me: What DO you take?
Clerk: Drivers license or passport.
Me: So why do you say ANY government issued ID? What happens if I don't have either?
Clerk: ...........

It's so stupid.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Eye boogers. Eye boogers stabbing me in the loving tear duct after I've already gotten my hands dirty at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you insist on joking with people who are forced to interact with you on the job then you deserve everything you get.

This but the opposite. Don’t gently caress with me, the customer. I hate when people gently caress with me. Let me buy the thing and go.