Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not putting it on steam definitely isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
in case percentage isn't clear, the 82% drop means going from nearly 500K copies of Fallout 4, to 85K of Fallout 76

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Fallout 76 copies sold

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rinkles posted:

what horseshit

wow capitalism sucks huh

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fallout 4 sold like 12 million first week so that's just over 2 million sold at launch, judging the reaction so far this is the high point in this games life. Don't see it rebounding without a ton of work. What a stupid fuckup of a game/franchise

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout 4 sold like 12 million first week so that's just over 2 million sold at launch, judging the reaction so far this is the high point in this games life. Don't see it rebounding without a ton of work. What a stupid fuckup of a game

idk where you got that 12M figure

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Golden Bee posted:

Fallout 76 copies sold

lmao

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout 4 sold like 12 million first week so that's just over 2 million sold at launch, judging the reaction so far this is the high point in this games life. Don't see it rebounding without a ton of work. What a stupid fuckup of a game/franchise

That's also with a healthy amount of much more meaningful DLC than 76 will ever get, as well as the PC version getting bolstered by the ability to mod it.

I doubt they were going to make anything as decent as Fallout 4's dlc but at a 82% drop they might just go "gently caress it, we'll ship out a few months of cosmetics and half baked dlc and give up".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fwiw, i expect the plummet won't be quite as drastic in the us. from what little i follow sales stuff, i get the impression the uk market is contracting faster

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
http://fortune.com/2015/11/16/fallout4-is-quiet-best-seller/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that's to retailers, which is more about sales expectations, but i have no doubt they sold-through those copies fairly quickly

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

lovely Wizard posted:

That's also with a healthy amount of much more meaningful DLC than 76

Fallout 4's DLC was kind of meh. Like Far Harbor and Nuka World were good, everything else was "I can't believe they are charging for this" poo poo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

that's to retailers, which is more about sales expectations, but i have no doubt they sold-through those copies fairly quickly

That's why I put it at first week rather than their first 24 hours claim. Just guesstimating, kind of all you can do with sales figures. 2 million f76 sales first week is almost certainly being generous.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I honestly expected this to be a hit in the uk.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The UK adore always online games with bright colours because their most affluent people are all child groomers.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How does the disc version work? It doesn't tie into an account somehow?

Isn't it just cardboard with a code printed on it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I honestly expected this to be a hit in the uk.

a video game where you scavenge for food is probably too close to home with brexit hanging over everyone's head

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Rhymenoserous posted:

Fallout 4's DLC was kind of meh. Like Far Harbor and Nuka World were good, everything else was "I can't believe they are charging for this" poo poo.

Well yeah, that's why I said "than 76 will ever get". On it's own it's DLC offerings were hit or miss, but I'm fully expecting mostly cosmetic offerings as DLC and likely unfulfilling minor gameplay stuff thrown in.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I am enjoying this dumb bad game but that is also with having 3 buddies to play with most times.

Having 3 more quick travel points and the occasional "Ah someone help! A scorchbeast is attacking my camp!" is enough to keep enjoyable.

Playing this solo would probably suck though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

random new vegas question, do temporary endurance boosts (like from clothing) not give you increased max hp? in fo4 I want to say they did.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Imagine if they used this world they've created, populated it with NPC's and quests and storylines, and then let you and 3 friends team up, gradually build up a permanent base, and go out and quest in the world. Just a straight up co-op fallout 4 effectively. That would be pretty awesome. How did they mess this up so badly? It's nuts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

you could come up with some legitimate, uncynical reasons, but i imagine a large part of the motivation was to experiment with the lucrative games as a service model in their games.

i'm talking out my rear end, but with the monumental amount of money microtractions make for ea and activision, i'm guessing a failure here won't dissuade them from trying again but rather inform their next attempt.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bardeh posted:

Imagine if they used this world they've created, populated it with NPC's and quests and storylines, and then let you and 3 friends team up, gradually build up a permanent base, and go out and quest in the world. Just a straight up co-op fallout 4 effectively. That would be pretty awesome. How did they mess this up so badly? It's nuts.

Well, you can combine resources to build a single fort, although it goes away if the owner is offline. Not sure if you can blueprint other people's bases, which would go a long way there. But no, largely the community element isn't there, there's very little actual incentive to playing cooperatively and my group has started meeting intermittently because we each like to deal with different aspects.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well, you can combine resources to build a single fort, although it goes away if the owner is offline. Not sure if you can blueprint other people's bases, which would go a long way there. But no, largely the community element isn't there, there's very little actual incentive to playing cooperatively and my group has started meeting intermittently because we each like to deal with different aspects.

that's one thing i think they could remedy, if they were so inclined, when/if private servers launch

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This game coulda been cool if it had a lot of stuff it currently does not

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well I'm sure RAGE 2 is gonna be awesome.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm sure it'll probably go a bit higher eventually, but that's not a great start.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i can tell you all the ways this game sucks poo poo and rear end. i can tell you exactly why and when it's bad, but i'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it and i can't tell you why.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I was initially pretty put off by the game itself because I was expecting a Fallout RPG like 4 or NV. Once I started getting through the feel of the game itself, I began to look at it through a DayZ kind of perspective and now everything clicks for me. I'm playing with a buddy of mine and we're having a blast.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bardeh posted:

I'm sure it'll probably go a bit higher eventually, but that's not a great start.

54 on OpenCritic.

spaceships posted:

i can tell you all the ways this game sucks poo poo and rear end. i can tell you exactly why and when it's bad, but i'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it and i can't tell you why.

It's built on a foundation of a game with a pretty fun core gameloop. It's just that every change and omission have been for the worse, but that core gameloop is still kinda there and fun enough to kill time.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-18-pok-mon-and-spyro-top-hyper-competitive-week-at-uk-games-retail

quote:

Fallout 76 - an online multiplayer take on the franchise - was not expected to sell as strongly as Fallout 4. Of course, any new game from Bethesda Game Studios is still a major release, yet this title has got off to a slow start. Fallout 76 debuts at No.3, and sales are down 82.4 per cent compared with the previous game in the franchise - 2015's Fallout 4.

Even so, due to its higher retail price, Fallout 76 was actually the game that generated the most revenue at UK retail last week. Because of its budget price, Spyro was actually No.3 in the revenue charts.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 19, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So we know that Bethesda is making Starfield and the next TES game, and presumably this is the last Fallout game we'll see for a very long time.

Soooo just let Arkane make a game with the IP on whatever engine they like. :getin:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I hope rage 2, elder scrolls 6, and starfield are all failures and zenimax goes under and sells Bethesda to ea.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope they are good games but I'm not betting on it. I didn't even like Fallout 4 and now 76 is balls as well :(

I really want the next Elder Scrolls to be good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope rage 2, elder scrolls 6, and starfield are all failures and zenimax goes under and sells Bethesda to ea.
Why would you wish EA on any franchise

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I finished the game sunday. About 40 hours. Level 42.

I had a lot of fun and almost no bugs.

I think the game is designed to finish at level 50, because one of the quest rewards is a level 50 ultracity power armour.

I am considering scrapping my base and going around naked killing people with a crane.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tei posted:

I finished the game sunday.

what does that entail?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

what does that entail?

finishing all the main quest, it ends with unlocking the enclave and doing 2 missions for them,

after that you get a grindy grind quest "do 10 scorchbeast kills".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tei posted:

finishing all the main quest, it ends with unlocking the enclave and doing 2 missions for them,

after that you get a grindy grind quest "do 10 scorchbeast kills".

so can you join the Enclave? Unlock their armor or something? How does that works exactly

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

frajaq posted:

so can you join the Enclave? Unlock their armor or something? How does that works exactly

yes.
yes.

how it works exactly, thats something better answered by a youtube video (here[1] is a guide)

I remember something about searching the whereabouts of a senator (sam, samwell), finding some documentation and id's

then going to some cave with two deathclaws and a door, the door is opened by playing a holotape, then you get in a small bunker you have to do a tiny puzzle?
maybe I am misremembering.

then you go to whistespring, where theres a large vault door, and it open, and they wellcome you inside and hire you after some papework.

to get the X-O1 armour you have to do the "office on deck" last quest, I believe, then accesss the commander section of the enclave vault.
I have not done that part, but is kind of dumb and I already have one ultracite armour, so maybe a X-O1 would be a drowngrade for me.

[1]
http://dulfy.net/2018/11/18/fallout-76-enclave-faction-quests-guide/

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

random new vegas question, do temporary endurance boosts (like from clothing) not give you increased max hp? in fo4 I want to say they did.

I think endurance boosting clothing in New Vegas only applies to your inherent damage resistance for hits that make it past your damage threshold.