Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BenS
Nov 11, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

By "equilibrium", do you mean kiting them through doors and shooting them as they file through? That works sometimes, but there are ways as a level designer to get around that. Even moreso than Doom, the custom levels are where it's really at and the original level set is basically Babby's First Wolfenstein.

More 'being able to blaze through rooms,' in the closest thing the older FPS games got to a gun kata. *chuckles* Seriously, at least in W3D, it was very possible to handle most, if not all, levels by just knowing which people to gun down first.

I'll grant that custom levels are likely more difficult, but... at that point we're kind of getting outside of the bounds of the conversation. Not unlike saying that Mario is a difficult platformer because of Kaizo Mario World, y'know? Not really the 'canon' game or experience, so kind of a different topic entirely. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One thing I like about that tutorial level is, assuming you go into the game not being utterly spoiled on trailers and previews and such, for as desperate as the situation is presented they do a pretty good job of still giving you the impression that BJ Blazkowitz, one man Nazi stomper, is going to be able to pull it off in spite of that...right up to the point that everything goes wrong.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kai Tave posted:

One thing I like about that tutorial level is, assuming you go into the game not being utterly spoiled on trailers and previews and such, for as desperate as the situation is presented they do a pretty good job of still giving you the impression that BJ Blazkowitz, one man Nazi stomper, is going to be able to pull it off in spite of that...right up to the point that everything goes wrong.

I wouldn't say so, I died in the tutorial like five times.

Granted four of them were while learning how to slide. You know that section with the first panzerhound? It can get to you if you're not quick. Motherfucking game gave me a heartattack.

Fifth I wanted to see if I could storm the beach without speaking to Fergusen first.

BogMod
Jun 21, 2014
My tutorial deaths were failing to learn to click down on the stick to run. So when you are supposed to run and jump to the other plan I would just normal walk and jump...and die. And die. Then I tried dying a bunch more.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Look guys, when BJ said "it's do or die" the implication was that you should be doing, not the other thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Really digging the atmosphere for this game. BJ's monologue's, the cinematics--its good. This is a lot more fun to watch than Medal of Honor, Lazyfire, and I'm glad you're playing a fun game this time.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I'm enjoying your LP. I've been eyeing this game on steam for a while but the download size is just crazy. I know I'm going to crack sometime during the Christmas sales though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Buck Turgidson posted:

I'm enjoying your LP. I've been eyeing this game on steam for a while but the download size is just crazy. I know I'm going to crack sometime during the Christmas sales though.

It's 15$ right now on steam.

Kurks
Feb 25, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

I'm enjoying your LP. I've been eyeing this game on steam for a while but the download size is just crazy.

It's a great motivational push to finish the game quickly just to get that huge chunk of bytes out of the system. At least the game is good so no harm done there.

My original plan of "let's just install some game and play for a while" with Wolfenstein sold me CS:GO.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, let's see if I can get started on my own playthrough....

Edit: Doesn't run too well on mine. The gameplay is playable enough, but the in-engine cutscenes go at a glacial pace with the audio up to 10 seconds ahead depending on the length of them.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 8, 2014

BogMod
Jun 21, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Look guys, when BJ said "it's do or die" the implication was that you should be doing, not the other thing.

Well I blame him for not being more clear!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

All right, let's see if I can get started on my own playthrough....

Edit: Doesn't run too well on mine. The gameplay is playable enough, but the in-engine cutscenes go at a glacial pace with the audio up to 10 seconds ahead depending on the length of them.

Ouch. Is that now two people who have been enticed into buying the game that can't really manage to get it to run on their builds correctly? I honestly hate seeing that.

I went to record a couple more videos this weekend and ended up having to re-do on of the missions a couple times due to freak occurrences. Because replaying levels doesn't reset your perk progress I ended up getting some extra perks "offscreen" during that session, so I think a perk roundup video may be in order in the near future. Outside of that video I plan on leaving most of my screw-ups and weird moments in the videos, such as trying to show off something most people miss by going to the wrong spot and being very confused as to why it wasn't where I thought it should be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, you know, my computer is 5 years old and I'm replacing it soon because old, so having it on Steam to run later is no biggy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Ouch. Is that now two people who have been enticed into buying the game that can't really manage to get it to run on their builds correctly? I honestly hate seeing that.

I went to record a couple more videos this weekend and ended up having to re-do on of the missions a couple times due to freak occurrences. Because replaying levels doesn't reset your perk progress I ended up getting some extra perks "offscreen" during that session, so I think a perk roundup video may be in order in the near future. Outside of that video I plan on leaving most of my screw-ups and weird moments in the videos, such as trying to show off something most people miss by going to the wrong spot and being very confused as to why it wasn't where I thought it should be.

I'm going to be upgrading to a more powerful rig early next year, so it's no problem. I'm glad that I'll have the game on hand (like with Alien: Isolation).

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Lazyfire posted:

Will you be going back to the intro level and show off the alternate way in that doesn't involve exploding the giant front door?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could've sworn that you could destroy that giant walker mech thing with that giant artillery gun that you had to sit in.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

WirelessPillow posted:

Will you be going back to the intro level and show off the alternate way in that doesn't involve exploding the giant front door?

I plan on going back and showing off the Wyatt timeline differences and planned on doing that on the way.

RareAcumen posted:

I could've sworn that you could destroy that giant walker mech thing with that giant artillery gun that you had to sit in.

Apparently you can, I believe someone pointed that out on page 2 or so. I usually get killed attempting to hit the thing and figured the developers didn't want me loving with the set dressing.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
^^^He posted it like ten seconds before I did. Apparently Fergus gives you some bonus chatter if you take it down.

BogMod
Jun 21, 2014
I had a small rant about how silly tripod things are...and they really are silly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm almost considering buying a second copy of the art book (this time an e-book version) just to post excerpts from it as the LP goes along. Just bits and bobs, like how the Nazi jetfighters in 1946 are based on real (scrapped) plans for jet fighters.

The Wolfenstein: TNO discussion thread in Games had a MachineGames staffer who made 3D models for the game post his concept art (some of which is in said art book), like the Panzerhund.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm almost considering buying a second copy of the art book (this time an e-book version) just to post excerpts from it as the LP goes along. Just bits and bobs, like how the Nazi jetfighters in 1946 are based on real (scrapped) plans for jet fighters.

The Wolfenstein: TNO discussion thread in Games had a MachineGames staffer who made 3D models for the game post his concept art (some of which is in said art book), like the Panzerhund.

The Nazi 1946 jet fighters reminded me quite heavily of the Horten Ho. 229 - though those were apparently planned as fighter/bombers rather than purely as fighters. It does look drat cool, though. Not sure how practical the design was, considering the immense effort required to keep the B2 in the air.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

David Corbett posted:

The Nazi 1946 jet fighters reminded me quite heavily of the Horten Ho. 229 - though those were apparently planned as fighter/bombers rather than purely as fighters. It does look drat cool, though. Not sure how practical the design was, considering the immense effort required to keep the B2 in the air.

That's exactly what they're modeled on, good memory.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I blew that walker up the other day. You might only be able to take it down if you hit it in the eye while its beam is charging up. You can destroy at least one of the tank things on its back as well. I just mashed the fire button while aiming at the more important looking bits and then crammed a round right in its unfeeling steel face.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Lazyfire posted:

Almost three. I had heard about it, found out from the thread that it was on sale on Steam, and that it had a pretty hefty size requirement. After a quick "glad I just upgraded my hard disk :smug:" I went to download it and noticed the rest of the system requirements. I'm still running a Core 2 Duo. :stonklol:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Something I really liked about this game; you can choose to enable subtitles just for the non-English lines. Related to that is another thing I love about this game; Germans actually speaking German, rather than actors hamming it up "I see nuzzink!" style in English.

The game's full of things I liked; it's a great game. And I was as surprised as anyone; a AAA singleplayer FPS in 2014 that isn't a COD-clone, and it's good. (Not to imply that COD-clones are good.) Never would have suspected.

Anyway, I went the other way with the Wyatt/Fergus choice, so it'll be good to see what I missed. As for my reason; it was a pretty horrible choice to have to make, obviously, but it was simply because Wyatt was a lot younger than Fergus.

Actually on Wyatt; is it just me, or does he not look the spitting image of the default male Caucasian head in Fallout 3? It was sort of weirding me out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

Something I really liked about this game; you can choose to enable subtitles just for the non-English lines. Related to that is another thing I love about this game; Germans actually speaking German, rather than actors hamming it up "I see nuzzink!" style in English.
Not sure if I'd agree on that one. A big part of Wolfenstein's charm is the cheesiness and constantly hearing "Zat man iz a zpy!" and "Zurrender, Amerikan!" plays a huge role there. Then again, the decision to make them actually use German fits with the more serious story this game tries to tell so it's not that bad, I guess. I'm still rather conflicted about the direction this game's story took, though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, our first real level that isn't packed with tutorials. It's short and more or less is used to set the stage for the next few chapters of the game, but it's a really fun level that showcases the multiple pathways approach that dominates a great deal of the early game navigation. If I go down the main staircase I'm usually spotted, but by jumping down that side stair I can stealthily murder some guards and avoid wasting precious ammo. This is probably the shortest full stage in the game, most are half an hour to an hour to clear. One of the things the game does well is not overstay its welcome on anything. Levels don't drag on seemingly forever and you are always being presented with a new challenge or situation. Gimmick sections don't run more than a couple minutes and are almost never repeated. I really like this game.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Antistar01 posted:

Something I really liked about this game; you can choose to enable subtitles just for the non-English lines.

Fergus' accent still gets subtitled with that option, amusingly.

This is the best game I've played in years, occasional idtech issues aside.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It's never really made clear whether or not BJ actually understands German. I prefer to think he doesn't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I thought things might turn out like this when we saw the lost time in the asylum, but I didn't expect him to be out so long. drat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if I'd agree on that one. A big part of Wolfenstein's charm is the cheesiness and constantly hearing "Zat man iz a zpy!" and "Zurrender, Amerikan!" plays a huge role there. Then again, the decision to make them actually use German fits with the more serious story this game tries to tell so it's not that bad, I guess. I'm still rather conflicted about the direction this game's story took, though.

As opposed to guys screaming about their leiben?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's never really made clear whether or not BJ actually understands German. I prefer to think he doesn't.

There are moments in the game where it makes it sort of clear that he does speak at least German and Polish; the latter probably because his family is supposedly Polish, but the game is just sort of schizophrenic about if the actors are going to speak in German or English. I think if they had done a Valkyrie (first and last time I'll ever reference that movie) and had things start off in German and then fade into English it could have made things clearer, but what can you do.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gorilla Salad posted:

I thought things might turn out like this when we saw the lost time in the asylum, but I didn't expect him to be out so long. drat.

Yeah, the time jump and this stage were what made me love the game. I knew it was going to happen as a ton of the promotional materials involved Nazis in the 1960's doing Nazi things, but I didn't think it would be handled the way it was. The reason I started liking this game after this level is because it showed that MachineGame's ambition wasn't to just make another WWII shooter with the Wolfenstein license, but to take a risk and put the player in a different era and give you a chance to see environments you wouldn't expect out of a Wolfenstein game. I can always appreciate a game with ambition to do something new and interesting, especially with an existing franchise, and this is where MachineGames really won me over.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

Levels don't drag on seemingly forever and you are always being presented with a new challenge or situation.
I can think of at least two that - at least in my opinion - definitely do, but I'll point it out when we get there. Most of the game the level design is amazing.
edit: VVV Yup. There's also a little special hate-filled place in my heart for the bridge but that's the age-old issue of platforming in first person.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 9, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

anilEhilated posted:

I can think of at least two that - at least in my opinion - definitely do, but I'll point it out when we get there. Most of the game the level design is amazing.

Probably the tunnel level and the moon which to me are two of the biggest outliers in terms of levels in the game, when you think about it.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
This game is probably the most fun I've had with a shooter all year. Going in, I was expecting to run in and blast everything, but to my surprise, I played most of the game like a sneaky little coward. I probably used the silenced pistol more than the assault rifle, and I got pretty good with the throwing knives.

In the hideout, there's a box full of knives in the tool storage room, and there's a targetboard meant for practice. Every time I came home, I'd throw a dagger and get the bullseye, then have a "nightmare."

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
There are plenty of moments later in the game that make it pretty clear that Blaskowicz at the very least understands German, and he says to Anya in the cutscene in Ep 2 "My Polish isn't so good," so he speaks Polish (he is first-generation American, if I remember, and although the early 1900s were an era of "WE ARE AMERICAN NOW WE ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH", his parents probably still spoke enough Polish at home that he picked it up.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

BJ speaks one or two lines of German in an optional cutscene later on in the game.

Like I mentioned before this game had quite a bit of dialogue cut out between its announcement and release.
- Some of it is possibly cut to make BJ less snarky/talkative.
- Other dialogue is from scrapped areas/objectives , such as a ton of unused dialogue for a scrapped section way later into the game.
- Random lines where characters tell you what to do which were probably removed to reduce excessive hand-holding.
Some of the dialogue is still in the game files, other was removed but it's still present in video previews. I'll try to link to preview ones (if I can still find the videos) and maybe upload a few of the removed lines if I can considering it's 10.000+ audio files with generic filenames.

Chapter 1:

Unused lines of an NPC (I think Wyatt or the guy from the rope climbing section?) telling BJ to use a ledge to reach a balcony. Might be related to the section I mentioned in my last post.

BJ had a comment "Show me what you're hiding in there." when you interacted with the sword to open up that hidden passage behind the Deathshead painting.

Some random unused lines from Fergus, such as these two.

A bunch of lines from Fergus and Wyatt telling you how to kill the Ubersoldier at the end.

Chapter 2:

Originally there was a brief tune that played when BJ stabs the Nazi in the neck. He also made a bad joke. Both were probably removed because they didn't fit too well with the theme of the level.

Another removed line.

Random:

Dismounting one of those huge turrets and picking up the gun would sometimes cause BJ to shout "Groovy!" :shepface:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What is Keller doing in the trunk? Is it implied BJ captured him while zoned out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm fairly positive that most dialogue that happens is in German, due to the Nazi's forcing it to be used. Speaking in something other than German would probably be kinda suspicious.

Affi posted:

What is Keller doing in the trunk? Is it implied BJ captured him while zoned out?
He jumps in it himself when the shooting starts.

• Locked thread