Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hmm.

I cast Detect Magic.

Success. Looks like there's no sorcery here, just a good case!

##vote Lumpen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I was going to laugh off that first bit, but the follow up case actually isn't that bad.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Hahahaha Lump is already at -3.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Presumably that's because Lumpen is acting scummy as gently caress? Pushing newbies to "build meta" is weird and lame, even by the standards of the mad navel-loving dimension in which we find ourselves.

##vote Lumpen

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It'd be pretty funny to turbo Lumpen

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Contradictory isn't that scummy though, just probably lazy on Lumpen's part

##unvote

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone vote and I might hammer :henget:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh well I can't now

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Antivehicular posted:

Presumably that's because Lumpen is acting scummy as gently caress? Pushing newbies to "build meta" is weird and lame, even by the standards of the mad navel-loving dimension in which we find ourselves.

##vote Lumpen
Why exactly is it scummy? Weird and lame maybe, but scummy?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bowmore posted:

oh well I can't now
Ernie never told me what I was joining, so I'm on my own with my Kanye West biography

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bet that if Lumps isn't scum then one of the last 2 or 3 people on him were

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

here's something that's scummy:

does anyone honestly think lumpen can actually generate worthwhile content or opinions about new players by voting for someone for a few posts on d1

or that he's doing the more likely thing human beings do and that is maintain appearances

i'll freely renege on this opinion of he tells me what he's found out so far about anidav

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If I were to play my part of merk in this game I'd be quoting Bowmore and casing him on forward posturing over a player who hasn't even flipped yet.

But I hate AntiV's post more because he doesn't actually explain a thing and just cusses.

##vote antiv

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
but ras is there a better case going now?

like why unvote?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
ah okay.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
wait ras that's not a real vote! you don't like that better than the lumpen vote! no way. no wayyyy.

##vote Rascyc

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ernie. posted:

does anyone honestly think lumpen can actually generate worthwhile content or opinions about new players by voting for someone for a few posts on d1

or that he's doing the more likely thing human beings do and that is maintain appearances

i'll freely renege on this opinion of he tells me what he's found out so far about anidav
I do. Look at that Andi's lost and don't tell me it doesn't sound completely calm and collected.

Look at BlackNyte and don't tell me it doesn't sound like he tried to put together something resembling a case on Lumpen.

We can do better than "maintain appearances" for d1. ZzzZzzZzzzz

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Somberbrero posted:

wait ras that's not a real vote! you don't like that better than the lumpen vote! no way. no wayyyy.

##vote Rascyc
Sh...shut up! I am maintaining appearances of a mafia super star!!!!!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Good night thread.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Why exactly is it scummy? Weird and lame maybe, but scummy?

Newbies are soft targets, and voting them to "create meta" or pressure them to stammer out a half-formed case is not really town-friendly play, imho! It's a good way to thrust a probably-defenseless town player into the spotlight and either get them killed or make them a running subject of interest for no good reason. It amounts to saying "I don't have a case on this person, but pay attention to them anyway!"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also I am a lady, even though I didn't wear me sexy red dress to this game.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Would vote Antivehicular and am still happy to turbo Lumpen (hi lumpen)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Friends, my city is about to be hit by a cyclone, who should I vote for while I remain alive?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Friends, my city is about to be hit by a cyclone, who should I vote for while I remain alive?

Vote 1: Moving to NSW, where poo poo is hosed but we're not all going to die in a cyclone.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Ernie. posted:

Hi Ernie.
anidav stayed chill almost apologetic when poked.
blacknyte freaked the gently caress out when poked.
Antivehicular preemptively freaked the gently caress out at the mere prospect of possibly being poked.

This is data. It doesn't establish a strong argument for alignment for any of them at this point, but it is valuable data to establish the kind of players they are, and as flips happen, it will be valuable data for constructing meta expectations for future games.

Ultimately, the entire exchange generated, for me, a positive of Rascyc, and drew out some Scummy activity from Somberbrero.

Somberbrero posted:

Hmm.

I cast Detect Magic.

##vote Lumpen
Really?
##Vote Somberbrero

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I fully agree with Lumpen, he's merely doing a common type of poking. Even though I know none of the posters here, I do know exactly what he's trying to do and atleast for now; is a pretty bread and butter town move.

As for voting is concerned, there's a high chance that a cyclone will knock out my power tomorrow so I might not have another chance to post on day one after this.

I'm not sure what kind of poster Somberbrero is and at a glace it looks like a joke post with a joke vote. Since a cyclone is coming; I'm more than happy to add in a little extra pressure to get the joke posting out of the way.

##Vote Somberbrero

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Discrediting my vote in this manner is scummy.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

blacknyte posted:

Discrediting my vote in this manner is scummy.
How so? Please explain.
I'm willing to have a dialog with you, and I suggest you dial down the defensiveness if you're Town.

Lumpen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 19, 2015

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Lumpen posted:

How so? Please explain.
I'm willing to have a dialog with you, and I suggest you dial down the defensiveness if you're Town.

You are implying that I reacted emotionally to your vote, which I did not. You again do that in this post by saying I am playing defensively when it is pretty clear that I believe you are scummy and have a case and vote that supports that opinion.

Instead of waving away my vote, why not respond to what I've said?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Above post edited only to add the sound effect, no content changed, just missed the ninjaedit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lumpen posted:

Above post edited only to add the sound effect, no content changed, just missed the ninjaedit.

Following live. Confirmed.

e: Today is the last day I'll hear requests for a change in deadline.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2015

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

blacknyte posted:

quote:

Lumpen posted:
Why would I think you a wildcard? What makes you think I would vote for a "wildcard" rather than someone I suspected of being Scum?
Lumpen posted:
Yes. Gotta build meta. I already have a handle on the rest of the roster.
Isn't this contradictory? He's admonishing Anidav for the wildcard comment and then saying in his next post to bowmore that he's trying to build meta on the newbies... who, by that analysis, are wildcards?
Sure, I'll respond to this. It isn't contradictory.
The first quoted post is seeking context and explanation of Anidav's implicit assumptions about my vote on him. You labeling it "admonishing" is jumping to a false conclusion about my point of view.
The second quote is just true, and supported by my subsequent posts. I'm transparently poking the newbs that I don't have meta knowledge of, both to generate contentful reaction and to build a meta profile for future games.
I don't understand what could be considered "contradictory" there, or what you consider Scummy about it.

Your reaction to my gentle prod vote on you certainly struck me as overemotional and overdefensive. Your case is a real stretch to support a reactionary OMGUS vote, and doubling down on it makes you look silly at best and Scummy at worst. I have my eye on you.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

blacknyte posted:

Isn't this contradictory? He's admonishing Anidav for the wildcard comment and then saying in his next post to bowmore that he's trying to build meta on the newbies... who, by that analysis, are wildcards?

Somberbrero posted:

Hmm.

I cast Detect Magic.

##vote Lumpen

My initial reaction to Lumpen's early game was that he was just trying to get us out of jokephase and into the game proper. I didn't read the votes on Anidav and Blacknyte and think "Lumpen thinks they're scum", to me the fact he was prodding felt clear.

Moving on..

Antivehicular posted:

##vote Lumpen

Rascyc posted:

If I were to play my part of merk in this game I'd be quoting Bowmore and casing him on forward posturing over a player who hasn't even flipped yet.

But I hate AntiV's post more because he doesn't actually explain a thing and just cusses.

##vote antiv

I agree with Rascyc here as well. Initiating conversation (through either votes or discussion) is pro-town, and the fact that Anti read it as "scummy as gently caress" seems either (a) incorrect or (b) scummy. I don't think it necessarily means she's scum, but..

Somberbrero posted:

##vote Rascyc

I find it surprising that Somber won't even consider the fact that Anti's dogpiling on the Lumpen vote is scummier than Lumpen prodding for reactions.

Would vote Somber or Anti so far, but want to observe more because we have plenty of time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Anidav posted:

Anidav posted:

I fully agree with Lumpen, he's merely doing a common type of poking. Even though I know none of the posters here, I do know exactly what he's trying to do and atleast for now; is a pretty bread and butter town move.

As for voting is concerned, there's a high chance that a cyclone will knock out my power tomorrow so I might not have another chance to post on day one after this.

I'm not sure what kind of poster Somberbrero is and at a glace it looks like a joke post with a joke vote. Since a cyclone is coming; I'm more than happy to add in a little extra pressure to get the joke posting out of the way.

##Vote Somberbrero

First off - good luck with the cyclone! Natural disasters suck :(

That said, I feel like Anidav is going through a lot of effort to stress to us that he might not be able to change his vote on Somber, which feels scummy to me. I can see saying it once to let us know why he's not around, but three times gives me a vibe of him trying to cover his tracks in the event that Somber is lynched and flips town. Also, asking who he should vote for instead of reading over posts strikes me as someone giving the appearance of scumhunting but not actually trying.

Would also vote Anidav.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I strongly disagree that Antivehicular post is scummy, and so it makes very little sense to me that Ras would make the posts that he did.

Opop were you phone posting yesterday?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Somberbrero posted:

I strongly disagree that Antivehicular post is scummy, and so it makes very little sense to me that Ras would make the posts that he did.

Opop were you phone posting yesterday?

Probably. Depends on if I was on lunch or not

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Alright, I was wondering why you didn't vote Lumpen when you said you agreed with that Black Nyte case.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
Does anyone else think I'm silly for casing Lumpen here? What reactions do people have to the case?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Somberbrero posted:

Alright, I was wondering why you didn't vote Lumpen when you said you agreed with that Black Nyte case.

Because I don't have to put down a vote on everything scummy I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

blacknyte posted:

Does anyone else think I'm silly for casing Lumpen here? What reactions do people have to the case?

His behavior is anti-town and he should be dunked.

I'm voting Rascyc because Lumpen is difficult to understand and I feel more comfortable in my read there. Rascyc's behavior doesn't make sense to me. It's very strange that Rascyc would unvote for fear of a turbo, then come up with a different case immediately afterwards. Rascyc has played a couple games with AV now and I don't get how what she posted is any scummier than what she normally does. Her response is on-point and, as an aside, I'm confused why Murmur didn't seem to consider that when making a post about how she'd vote Anti and myself.

• Locked thread