Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thesaya posted:

I don't have anything to say really, but I feel it is about time we pushed this to a new page since it takes a very long time to load.

Here to help out with this, and to say that I'm still keeping an eye on this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Got nothing better to do, might as well follow Katagiri around.

So this is Denemon and his wife's room, huh...?

Nothing...

But...

…..

Can't exactly say that was unexpected, but we can always try to visit Ayako, if for no other reason than to annoy Hachiya.

… I'm fine, thank you...

A favour

A favour? What is it?

Please look on the table...

Marie

A present from Marie...?

My husband once said, as he was holding that music box...

How Marie felt

How Marie felt...?

My husband always thought people around him closed off their hearts to him. But it wasn't true. All of his children really wanted to get to know him...

Give that music box to Marie... My husband used to love that music box...

Madam

Ayako seems tired...

She's in very delicate health.

Shouldn't she see a doctor?

I'll take care of her. Please, don't worry, sir...

A message

What is it?

Detective Ihara wants to see you. Please go to the Grape Room.

He went out. He said he wanted a drink of water. He probably went to the dining hall.

How about Mr. Katagiri...?

Koutarou

Emmy, about Mr. Katagiri...

Yes?

Mr. Katagiri... isn't a detective, is he?

That's right. Koutarou isn't a detective.

So why is Mr. Katagiri here?

Koutarou came to this mansion for Mr. Ihara.

For Mr. Ihara. . . ?

That's all I'll tell you right now. I don't feel like telling you any more about Koutarou at the moment...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Stealing from one person something to give to another person might have worked if everyone involved wasn't related. :thunk:

edit: and also in the same house.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 26, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...0 pm? I guess that's how they write noon? Or have we entered the 13th hour?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Denemon's Notes for this chapter are now available.

Off to try find Ihara.

You can talk to Hachiya in the Butler's Pantry at this point, but it's optional, and not really of any interest, Hachiya just tells Takashi that Ihara isn't in the Pantry, and suggests Takashi look else where.

Despite death cat leading us into this room, there actually isn't anything to do in here, so we just turn around, and go back into the Kitchen...

Video: The fifth victim.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Denemon's Notes solution.

For this one, you just need to click on the bookcase in the Poppy Room.

However, as the second half of the puzzle hints, you can only do this between 12:05 and 12:10.

People:

Evidence:

Documents:

Kanae and Marie's diaries are found in their rooms, Ihara's diaries are found in the Lily Room.

Ayako's diaries.

Kanae's diary.

Marie's diary.

Ihara's diary.

Katagiri's diary.

Old Postcard.

Journal:

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Before we start the final chapter (and finally start getting some answers), does anyone want to put forward any theories or speculation?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, I've got an outside bet on Denemon's illegitimate son, who we're supposed to be, being involved in this somehow. It doesn't feel like we've learned a lot about, like, suspects this whole time.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Theory-making music.

Theory 1: The loving butler(s) did it. A younger version of Kikuyo's face came up whenever Kaidou was talking about the scriptwriter of Doll's name being blacked out. Either she was the scriptwriter or she was close to the person who was. Having their name blacked out led to their life being ruined, so they decided to take their revenge. Hachiya, the other butler, is suspicious as hell. Probably involved with poisoning members of Denemon's family was a while now. Works in tandem with Kikuyo for some unknown vengeance.

Theory 2: Magic is real. There actually is a demon going around possessing people. Denemon's life was plagued by it, but somehow Ayako was able to keep it away. I guess the demon finally got strong enough to finally kill Denemon.

Theory 3: Kaidou. gently caress Kaidou. He tried to kill the main character already by pushing him down the stairs. Probably has an accomplice, maybe Kanae.

Theory 4: What a tweest. It was Kazuya all along. :lol:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 30, 2017

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I honestly have no idea except maybe the housekeeper. To be honest I have a hard time keeping people apart so that doesn't help either.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I remember a few instances now where Hachiya or Kikuyo told us someone was looking or us, and when we went to look for them, they are dead. Seems pretty suspicious...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks for this LP. I liked Cing's DS games and I didn't know this game was actually translated into English.

Also when it comes to theories I'm banking it on being supernatural, like there's a family curse and Denemon has been trying and failing to stop it for years.

Also Emi's granddad is clearly Ayako's old flame.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just caught up, pretty interesting so far. I can’t get a read on whether we should be looking for a supernatural or human explanation (the LP of Umineko has broken me a bit :v:) but I’ll agree the butler and maid seem pretty suspicious. For some of the other stuff, I’m guessing Marie poisoned Yurie? And that postcard I get the impression that Ayako wrote it to one of our protagonist’s ancestors.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video:A disquieted gathering.

I don't want to spend another second in this damned mansion! Let's go, Mizuho.

Mr. Yoshikawa, I...

Mr. Yoshikawa.

Mansion

We never would've come to this mansion if we'd known this was going to happen! And the chairman's will doesn't have anything to do with us. Let‘s get out of here, Mizuho.

But Mr. Yoshikawa...

Will

I'm curious about what‘s in the chairman’s will.

The Chairman

Maybe the chairman invited you here to give you some of his fortune... Did you know? Is that why you came here?

No, nothing like that..

I'm not saying you're after the chairman's money or anything like that. In any case, the will doesn't have anything to do with us. I want to know who murdered Tsuyako. I want to know... why Tsuyako was killed. So that's why... I'll stay here until I hear about the key I gave you.

Mizuho!

Kazuya, Mr. Yoshikawa and I will be in the Orchid Room. So, if you find out anything, come tell me, okay?

Will

No.

I see...

Father

I suppose Father planned on leaving everything to Ayako. Or maybe... maybe he planned on leaving you something...

Us

I mean Hideya and me, and my husband. I don't imagine Father left us anything... When I think of our future, I'm filled with anxiety... Hideya, let's go back to our room.

Mom, I've gotta talk to Kazuya. You go on back to the room, okay?

Hideya...! Well, all right.

Youko leaves.

So, Hideya...

That detective

Hmm, the detective...

Hachiya

I don't like Hachiya! I bet Hachiya doesn't like kids, either...

You

Well, I...

I trust you, Kazuya. I know you're not the murderer. But...

But... what?

But if you know anything about the murders, I wish you would tell me. I want to know who killed my dad. I tried asking that other detective, Mr. Katagiri, a little while ago, but... he didn't answer me. He just went into the Grape Room.

Gee, Hideya...

Mom's been so sad and lonely since Dad died... I don't really know what to do, but... I'm the only one that can take care of my mom now. I've got to be a grownup.

Kazuya, come to the Violet Room later, okay? I've got something important to talk about.

Hideya leaves.

Why do you have to get mixed up in this? C'mon, let's go back to Pergola.

There are still things I must do here.

Takashi walks up to them.

Who could've done that to Mr. Ihara...?

Ihara

Mr. Ihara was sick, wasn‘t he? He looked like he was in pain...

Do you know? Please tell me about Mr. Ihara.

Ihara's dead. No use in talking about when he was alive now.

Murderer

Do you know who the murderer is in all these cases?

The one who killed Tsuyako Sawamatsu was...

So who killed Takako and Hideo?

Ihara's murderer

Mr. Ihara's murderer...?

And you know who that--

Katagiri puts his hand to his head with a groan

Are you all right?

Koutarou...

Oh, it's nothing. Don't fuss.

Katagiri leaves.

That happens every time Koutarou remembers what happened back then...

What happened

What happened back then...?

Remembers

Koutarou doesn't want to remember. He really just wants to forget it...

Three years ago

Koutarou was still a detective three years ago.

That case

Case...?

Bizarre murder case

The case was called the ”Magic House Murders." Two magicians were killed in a really gruesome way.

A young man

A young man was the suspect?

Yes. After Koutarou let the man get away, the case remained unsolved.

The man

Don't you know who that man is?

Another crime

Koutarou said the man would probably keep killing as long as he lived...

Back to “That case.”

Innocent

The man said he was innocent...?

Yes. This young man told Koutarou that the true culprit was somebody else, that he'd been set up... And Koutarou believed him...

Another crime

Another crime?

Yes, he committed another murder right away, as if he were mocking Koutarou.

Was her murderer... ever caught...?

No, the case is still unsolved. ...But why are you asking me these questions, anyway...?

I--

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
It's a Christmas miracle!

So, the person we are embodying is a mass murderer... well, that is just great. Does that mean we committed the crimes here too, or is history just following its course?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda leaning on history following its course, but the fact that Ihara was sick with something, and one of the characters (god help me, I don't know which name it was) talked about a 'demon' possessing someone into doing bad things makes me doubtful.

I'm glad to see an update regardless though. Happy 2018, folks! :)

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Sorry for the amount of time between updates; we are getting close to the end now though.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video:The kitchen knife.

Off to the Annex.

We've finally found out what the Star Key is for, time to report back to Mizuho.

Yes, I did remember one thing, actually.

A story of Takako's

A story of Takako's?

She told me about where the chairman came from.

Where he came from?

Yes, about the place where the chairman was born.

Takako

Every once in a while, the chairman would open up, but only to Takako.

The village

About the village where Denemon was born, huh...?

Butterfly legend

Butterfly legend...?

She didn't tell me what kind of legend it was... And that's all Takako told me... No, wait. There was something else. I just remembered...

Takako said there was a novel written about that legend. She said she'd seen the book in the study.

On to Mizuho.

Huh? What is this...?

Ledger

Tsuyako had hidden it in a letter chest.

What could this ledger mean?

Miuzho, I bet I know. It's probably a secret accounting ledger for New World Cinema.

A secret accounting ledger?

Somebody was writing all the illicit money transfers in that ledger... I heard a rumour that something like that was going on... So... it was true... Looking at this ledger, you can see all kinds of unexplained expenditures... Large sums of money...

Unexplained

Tsuyako entrusted the key of this secret ledger to you. This ledger contains proof of all those unexplained expenditures.

Why would Tsuyako entrust it to me...?

Tsuyako was making some kind of deal with the person who'd be in trouble if this ledger were made public.

What?! You mean she was...? Don't tell me Tsuyako was... But that can't be true!

Mizuho...

Kazuya... This isn't what I wanted to find out... I really respected Tsuyako... Who could have thought there was a secret New World Cinema ledger...! Why has it ended like this...?

I'm sorry, Mizuho...

The chairman, Takako, Tsuyako, the president, all dead... And now this secret ledger... New World Cinema will be finished!

But it can't!

I can't let that happen!

Mr. Yoshikawa...

Mizuho, there's got to be something we can do to save New World Cinema. And there's no reason to stay here any longer.

Mizuho and Kiyohiko leave.

Kazuya... I know something...

What do you know?

Hideo was a pretty rubbish murderer.

My dad

Hideya...

But don't tell my mom, okay, Kazuya?

Hideya... I've got something to say you might find hard to believe. You're the only one I'm going to tell.

Only me?

That's right. Only you.

Okay. It'll be our secret.

Okay, listen to me. I'm not really Kazuya Nanase.

Huh...?

My real name is “Takashi Kagetani.”

Takashi...Kagetani...?

That's right.

And... I'm actually from another time.

What?!

I'm from a world more than seventy years in the future. I got trapped in this mansion.

You did?!

Take a look at this. As soon as this glass jigsaw puzzle is complete, I think I can get out of here.

Get out of here...?

That's right. I can go back to my own time.

Go...back...? Okay.

Thank you.

It's never explicitly mentioned, but it's understandable that Takashi would be feeling some mental strain with his situation. He has to constantly pretend that he's Kazuya to everyone, a pretense which is likely become more and more difficult to keep up the closer he gets to people in the mansion, and now's he's found that Kazuya is, if Emmy is correct, a serial killer. It's not really surprising that Takashi finally cracked and had to confess the truth to someone.

Grandpa brought that glass jigsaw puzzle back with him from France. He said it can make wishes come true. But then the pieces got lost, and he couldn't put the puzzle together any more.

Hideya...

Tell you something

You want to tell me something?

A secret

A secret about this mansion?

Yup. There's a secret room in this mansion nobody knows about.

A secret room?

Yup. Grandpa said you get there through a hidden door in one of the rooms on the second floor.

Nothing special. C'mon, Mom, let's go home.

Hideya...

I know that Kazuya will find out the truth about everything that happened here.

Youko and Hideya leave. This is the last time we'll see Hideya in the Violet Room, but Takashi can still solve Tangrams for hints; he'll just see a picture of the room he needs to be in in his mind, rather than have Hideya telling him.

Hachiya is swaying backwards and forwards here.

Kazuya... I will do as you tell me...

What can I do for you, Kazuya?

Hachiya!

I only do what you tell me to do...

Oh, my! What am I doing here? Too many things have been happening... I'm a little tired. Excuse me.

Hachiya unsteadily walks out.

These two are fairly minor characters, and as such don't get an FMV introduction.

Wow! Just look at this place!

Excuse me...!

I'm Jungo Ogasawara. And this is...

...I'm his secretary, Tae.

I've brought the will I've been keeping for Denemon.

What will?

Seriously, Takashi?

I've brought Denemon's Yoshinodou's will.

I'm his secretary, Tae. Hee hee hee!

Excuse me, but who are you...?

I'm... Kazuya Nanase.

What...?! You're Kazuya?!

Hachiya walks up.

Mr. Ogasawara!

Hello, there, Mr. Hachiya. I hope I'm not late.

We've been expecting you. Please come this way...

The three of them walk off.

He took the visitors to the dining hall...

Excuse me.

Kikuyo leaves.

...No, I'm afraid not...

Takashi walks over to them.

I'm afraid Mr. Ogasawara and I are talking. If you would be so kind...

Ah, Kazuya! Glad to see you. I've got something to tell you. I'll come to your room later. Three o'clock at the Houseboy Room, okay?

The hidden room Hideya told me about...And Denemon's will... How are all of these related to the case...

And why is Hachiya acting that way...?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hey, this room brings back memories!

This room brings back memories...? What do you mean?

Denemon

Denemon knows my father. Actually, I wanted to get into film production, too, when I was young... My father asked Denemon and I even trained under him for a while...

Student Houseboy

You were a student houseboy in this mansion?

A Publishing Company

I run a publishing company called ”Starlight Publishing.” in Ginza.

Denemon

In those days, Denemon was making his way in the film industry, burning with many lofty ideals. He was strict, but I was always deeply impressed by him.

That training period

I owe what I am today to what I learned then. I truly believe that.

Before

In those days...?

Yes, in those days, Hachiya. Kikuyo and Matsunosuke weren't even here yet. I remember when you were born very well.

What?! You remember when I was born...?

Kazuya wasn't an illegitimate child at all.

Denemon

Denemon couldn't have been happier when you were born.

You two twins

Did you say “twins”?!

What, didn‘t you know?

You may have noticed, no one ever mentions Takako's age in relation to Kazuya's. We're told that Kazuya is younger than Hideo (the eldest child), and older than Kanae (the third oldest child), but we were never told if Kazuya is older or younger than Takako.

Takako

So I guess Takako didn't know about this, either...

It's possible that Hideo knew that Takako and Kazuya are twins (he mentions remembering Takako as a quiet baby in one of his diaries), which may have been part of the reason Hideo was always so hostile to Takashi.

Disappeared

I disappeared...?

All of a sudden, no one could find you...The house was in an uproar... Denemon and Hisako looked for you frantically. But they never found you. Denemon and Hisako were devastated... So when I heard from Denemon that he had found you, I was really surprised and very happy for all of you.

Denemon

That must've been his biggest regret--not getting to see you again...

Denemon and I have only been exchanging letters these past five years.

Really true

Hachiya told me about it. By the way, doesn't something seem a little odd about Hachiya...?

A Mask

Yes, this mask, right?

So Denemon was wearing this mask to hide the scar on his face, huh...?

Come to think of it... looking at this mask, I remember something Denemon told me once.

Something Denemon told you...?

I don't remember exactly when, but he said, “I wear a mask over my heart. I suppose it'll be that way till I die...” I wonder what he meant by that...?

He wore a mask over his heart, huh...?

I can't even begin to imagine what Denemon meant by those words.

The Will

Will...?

Actually, I gave the will to Hachiya a little while ago... You must be anxious to know, so I wanted to tell you myself. This is what Denemon's will says:

I leave all of my assets to my wife, Ayako. If for any reason Ayako is unable to receive them, I leave all of my assets to... my son, Kazuya Nanase.

That's what it says. But... Well, to get right down to it... About your inheritance from Denemon... Three years ago, Denemon converted almost all of it to stocks. And I'm sure you know about the recent decline in the stock market... In short, I'm afraid most of Denemon's assets are now nothing but worthless paper. I'm really sorry...

Given that Ayako is still able to receive Denemon's assets, Kazuya doesn't actually have an inheritance. Incidentally, 24th October 1929 (the current in-game date) was the date of “Black Thursday” the first day of a four day stock market crash in the US that lead to the Great Depression.

Well, I'll be going. Now I wonder where Tae wandered off to? If you see her, would you tell her I'll be waiting in the Bellflower Room?

Jungo leaves.

Video: Denemon's Plea.

It's a little hard to see, but the second picture shows death cat, walking off down the hall.

Kikuyo is swaying backwards and forwards.

Ah!

For some reason, you can't read Kikuyo's thoughts here.

Are you all right?

This mansion now

What do you think will happen, Kikuyo?

I...

Kikuyo...?

I've... lived out my life... in this mansion... I've come through a lot, living my life out in this mansion... But now all those things I thought were important, things I tried to protect...

Kikuyo leaves.

Hello.

So you're Mr. Ogasawara's secretary...?

This mansion now

How long have you been working for Mr. Ogasawara?

Hee hee hee!

Did I say something funny?

I’m surprised people actually believe I really am Jungo's secretary!

Why wouldn't they?

Do I really look like the secretary type?

Huh?

A fashion model

A fashion model and sales girl?

Yes, that's right. I model the new clothes for the customers in a Ginza department store. Sometimes they even have me standing in the show window!

What?!

Cafe Pergola

Cafe Pergola?

Jungo and I once went to Pergola.

You did?

Look, we went to Pergola because Mr. Yoshinodou asked Jungo to. He asked Jungo to find out about a man there, named “Katagiri”.

What kind of man Mr. Katagiri was, huh...?

I always wanted to see what people who lived in a mansion like this were like. That's why I came with Jungo. But everybody here looks so lonely. I wonder why? Bye bye now!

Tae leaves.

Well, actually, I have a little problem... I seem to have lost something...

You lost something?

Yes, I thought I put it in my jacket pocket, but now I can't find it... It's my lighter...

Your lighter...? What does it look like?

It's a trench lighter.

A trench lighter...?

It has a screw-on cap and it's on a chain. Could you help me look for it?

(Ah! Here it is!)

So that's where it was, huh? Thank you very much. You really helped me out!

Ever seen one of these things before? It's called a “trench lighter” because of the trenches in war. They say it was first made in the trenches out of an empty cartridge case. It's got a chain to make it easier for injured soldiers to use with one hand. They say they used to attach the chain to a belt loop.

Wow, you really know a lot about it, don't you!

Well, actually, it was Denemon who told me all that. Denemon shot films on the battlefront and travelled abroad at a young age... He's had a lot of interesting experiences. I liked listening to him. If he had lived, I bet he would have had all kinds of things to tell you, too... Gee, talking about Denemon is making me feel really sad... Your whole family and the senior employees must all be deeply saddened by this sudden loss of the head of the family.

Is Jungo unaware that Takako and Hideo are also dead?

I just saw that gardener fellow, Matsunosuke... He seemed really downhearted...

If you see Tae, could you tell her I'm waiting here?

Takashi leaves.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

What d'ya want?

Talk to me, Matsunosuke.

What d'ya want me to tell you?

You must know why. Please tell me why Yurie committed suicide.

Talk to me.

I don't know nothing! Not a single thing!

Video: Matsunosuke's Anger..

Kanae thinks it's Marie‘s fault that Yurie committed suicide.

It sure ain't Miss Marie's fault that Madam Yurie killed herself... Miss Marie didn't do nothing wrong. But she thinks it‘s her fault Madam Yurie killed herself...

She thinks so...?

Miss Kanae

Miss Kanae don't understand nothing. She don't try to understand, neither.

Everything

Everything about Yurie...?

Mr. Yoshinodou was away from the mansion for a long time, right after Miss Marie was born.

Madam Yurie started to go a little crazy... Madam Yurie started being real afraid of Mr. Yoshinodou. In the end, she started thinking Mr. Yoshinodou was gonna kill her...

Madam Yurie

Miss Marie was too young to understand why Madam Yurie went crazy...

Little Miss Marie

Yurie was telling Marie every night about how she would kill Marie‘s father?

Yeah, pretty horrible, ain't it?

Help

I remember whet Miss Marie said then... "Please stop Mother! Please help Mother!” she said...

Madam Yurie

What was Yurie going to do...?

I stopped Madam Yurie from putting poison in Mr. Yoshinodou‘s glass...

In front of Marie

Madam Yurie died holding Miss Marie's hand... Miss Marie was there next to her mother, crying hysterically...

Poison

Yurie drank poison and died...

That medicine bottle you found in my room was what she used...

Gee, Matsunosuke...

Melt the ice

Melt the ice...?

Yes. Poor Miss Marie is convinced it's her fault. But she didn't do nothing wrong...

Did Denemon know how Marie felt?

I... didn't tell him nothing...

Madam Yurie

I dunno, but maybe Mr. Yoshinodou knew all about Madam Yurie...

A great sorrow

So Denemon was sad about Yurie’s death, right?

Mr. Yoshinodou was always like that... He didn't talk about how he felt, locked everything inside for some reason.

But he was so sad when his wives died, he had statues made in the garden... I bet those statues hold Mr. Yoshinodou's feelings...

You're a sensitive man. Matsunosuke.

Eh?!

You really try to understand the feelings of a person who can't express his sadness...

Well, I... I dunno 'bout that...

Matsunosuke, I found your hand towel near the well.

Kill

I was gonna kill Hideo myself, with these old hands of mine!

Never mess with a gardener's hedges.

Hideo

You were going to kill Hideo?!

I thought Hideo was the one that killed Tsuyako... Mr. Yoshinodou's child--a murderer! I couldn't let that come to light...

Takashi might want to keep Emmy and Katagiri away from Matsunosuke.

I was gonna kill Hideo and take the blame for everything myself. But somebody got to Hideo before I did...

Actually, I found Hideo's body before you did... Hideo was still alive. But I didn't help him. I just walked away...

Mr. Yoshinodou was nice enough to employ a stubborn guy like me. And all because we come from the same village...

The same village...

That village was near a valley. It had beautiful sunsets... But neither Mr. Yoshinodou or I can ever go back there...

Everything I did was for the sake of this family... I always tried to be as loyal as I could... But maybe the things I did came out just as twisted as my twisted old heart...

I wonder if Matsunosuke ever even thought about how what he intended to do, and actually did do to Hideo would affect Hideya.

You seem completely different from the young man that came here before to make trouble for Mr. Yoshinodou... That's all I know. I think I can understand why Mr. Yoshinodou called you here.

But I can't stay on at this mansion. There's no place for me here anymore.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Look at all these updates to go through, they are wonderful! :allears:

Lots of stuff to unpack here. It seems that Hachiya and Kikuyo, the servants, seem to be undergoing some sort of condition too, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the protagonist's. It seems like their lines about only doing what Kuzuya asked may point to a collaboration between the three of them before time shenanigans started.

I'm glad at last that Takashi talked about his time shenanigans to someone though. :unsmith: It's a little thing, but it helps to remember that the main character is going through some poo poo.

Also is there a misplaced image when talking to Matsunosuke? It goes from the video of Takeshi asking what happened to him suddenly being shocked about how Yurie wanted to kill Butterfly man.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

It's not a misplaced image, I did a double take myself when I was working on the update. It doesn't really make much sense, there were hints prior to Takashi's conversation with Matsunosuke that Yurie believed Denemon was going to kill her, but nothing that really suggested she had decided to kill him before he could kill her.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Kazuya...

I've got something to show you, Marie.

Kazuya, this is...

He always kept it, as a precious gift from you.

Father...

Matsunosuke told me about your mother. What happened is really sad, but it wasn't your fault she died, you know.

Kazuya...

You did the right thing. I believe in you, Marie.

Thank you, Kazuya.

I never could understand Father, and it always bothered me... But it was probably because I was afraid of getting hurt. I closed off my heart to him. But I won't be afraid anymore, now that I've got somebody that believes in me.

I think I'm starting to understand why Father called you here. Maybe Kanae will understand me someday, too. I wonder if she'll ever open up her heart to me...?

There's nothing left to chat to Marie about, we can't even read her thoughts here.

Kaidou

Kanae, Kaidou is--

That's all right... I know nobody could ever love me...

Hachiya told me Ayako is inheriting everything. Not even Father cared about me...

Kanae, you always compare yourself to other people, don't you?

What are you talking about, all of a sudden...? ...But, yes, you‘re right. I always do...

Because why else would Mother love Marie more than me...? Why did Father only let Takako fulfil her dreams...? Why did Father leave all of his fortune to Ayako...?

Takako's dreams of being an actress came true, but she was murdered. You say your mother loved Marie more than you, but that Marie thinks her own mother's suicide was her fault and is shunned by you, her own sister. The fortune left to Ayako is now nothing but worthless paper, thanks to the decline in the market.

Why do you think that way, when there are so many things only you can do?

What you have left in this mansion now is your one-and-only little sister, who's waiting for a kind word from you right now...

You're the first person who's ever said anything like that to me. Nobody – not Kikuyo, not Kaidou – ever told me I was wrong... But that's probably because I always denied my mistakes...

Kaidou's in the Lily Room. He says he wants to talk to you. Go and see him, okay?

There isn't really that much character development in this game, but I feel like Kanae got the most of the limited development that does exist.

I've been waiting for you. I want to tell you something...

Something about me

Something about you?

Yes. I want to tell you about my father. Will you hear me out, Kazuya?

A film scriptwriter

My father was the one who wrote the script for “Dolls.”

My Father

Please tell me more about your father.

In spite of the fact my father had my mother and me at home, he fell in love with the actress starring in the film he wrote the script for. The actress was married, too, but the two of them were deeply in love...

But the woman's husband soon found out about them, and they couldn't see each other anymore... Although he couldn't see her, my father's love for her deepened and he couldn't stop thinking about her. When he heard she had borne her husband twins a year later, he was driven mad with jealousy. He sneaked into the mansion where she lived with her husband, kidnapped one of the twins and disappeared.

Kaidou...

For some reason, what my father did was never reported... My father never came back to us. And then two years later, my mother and I... ...heard a rumor that the woman my father loved had died suddenly, and that her husband soon took another young wife...

Gee, Kaidou, that story sounds--

Wait, there's more.

When my mother heard that actress was dead, she left me with a relative and went out to work. And she never came back to me...

Kaidou, was your mother--

After my mother left, I had to get by on my own. I never thought I'd see her again...

My Father

(Who is Kaidou's mother...?)

Now that person won't even accept me as her son anymore...

The reason I got engaged to Kanae was to find out more about what's going on inside this mansion. But when I got here, the person I was looking for was...

Kaidou!

Kaidou walks away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Didn't this just get as noir as gently caress. The important thing everyone struggled over and killed for has always been worthless. But there's a thrill-killer on the loose anyway.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Takashi! How can we get back now?

Takashi shows the glass jigsaw to Emi.

What's that?

Koutarou Katagiri wrote about this in his notebook.

So if you put it together, you disappear. Maybe that means you go back to our world...?

Maybe!

And if you put that puzzle back together and go back, what'll happen to me?

I won't be going back alone. We'll go together.

Takashi...

Hey! I'm starting to disappear!

Come to the Great Hall tonight at midnight. I'll find that puzzle piece and be waiting for you!

Okay, Takashi! I'll be there... At midnight...!

Emi vanishes.

Emi...!

Video: A butterfly in the corridor.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
I went away for a month, and came back to a lot of updates. Yay!

Wow, this is getting really interesting, thanks again for showing this game, I never would have seen this otherwise. Can't wait for more!

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Footstep sounds.

Clicking on this door leads out to...

Video: A stab in the back.

There hasn't really been much in the way of chances for audience participation in this LP, so I'll let you decide; what action should Takashi take? Counterattack, Dodge Quickly, or Do Nothing.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The fact that it is even a choice makes me curious so I vote we do nothing.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Counterattack. Let's go for broke.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Doing nothing has worked out so far, ought to stay the course

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Leap overboard! Call 911!

Nah, just goofing.

I vote to counterattack as well.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
Counterattack!!!!

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Counterattack.

That was effective.

You killed Ihara, didn't you?

It wasn't me!

Then who did?

Mr. Katagiri, you're not a detective.

...That's right.

And I'm not Kazuya Nanase.

The criminal you let get away three years ago... that was Kazuya Nanase, wasn't it?

...That's right. Kazuya Nanase attacked Ihara's wife and left her for dead. Ihara tried to take care of her after that, but she ended up dying in misery.

Ihara

How did Mr. Ihara change?

Investigations

He'd make special allowances for people during investigations, make the report come out the way they wanted for money...

Bribes

Taking bribes...?

At first, it was to help pay for his wife's medical expenses. But he kept taking bribes even after his wife died. After his wife died, Ihara was like an empty shell of a man.

And then Mr. Ihara came to this mansion and met the man they were calling "Kazuya Nanase"... And so he called you here because you know Kazuya Nanase. He planned on getting you to help kill Kazuya for revenge, didn't he?

That's not the only reason Ihara asked me to come here...

Katagiri starts to walk away, hesitates for a second, then leaves.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
That does not look like a counter-attack to me...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...but then how is everyone else mistaking us for this guy, if the detective can tell we're not?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think he's the only one who has met the real Kazuya. Everyone else just assumed since he looked appropriate.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Off to try get in the Rose Room.

There isn't really anything to point you in that direction, but we need to go to the Holly Room now to progress.

Kanae.

Now I think about it, I realise Marie and I have never really talked...

And... I wanted to leave Kaidou alone... He's in the Iris Room.

I'm not really sure if I can understand Marie after all this time... But it certainly has to be better than not talking at all, right?

Kanae...

You two, stop looking at me that way! Now I'm embarrassed... Kazuya, Marie has something to tell you.

Marie.

I found this inside that music box.

Dear Father,

I am really happy and grateful that you are going to grant my request and let me come back to the dear old mansion. How lucky it was for both of us that you recognised my mark on the night of that great earthquake! We must have been destined to meet again...

(“Grant my request”...? “Let me come back to the mansion”...? This must be a letter Kazuya Nanase wrote to Denemon...)

Kaidou, why did Kikuyo come to this mansion?

Why did the woman who wrecked her and her husband's life die...? I suppose that's what she wanted to find out.

Getting revenge

Getting revenge on her husband...?

That's right. By entering the house where the woman he loved used to live, and finding out everything there was to know about the mansion and family... I suppose she thought of Yurie as a kind of substitute for herself... That's why she was so fascinated...

Kikuyo knows who you are, doesn't she?

I'm not sure. I haven't really talked to her yet... but she can't start over now. She can only exist in this mansion...

We saw Kikuyo disappear in this room a while ago.

That was the last piece of paper needed. We now have the whole paper.

Video: The secret room.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. All the backscatter from that camera at point-blank must have driven her nearly blind.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Yes?

Please tell me about Mr. Katagiri. Tell me why he quit being a police detective.

Where is Mr. Katagiri now?

I don't know. He must be around here somewhere.

In one of the rooms around here...?

Mr. Ihara

Yes, he told me.

That was the main reason Koutarou quit being a detective. He thinks it's his fault Mr. Ihara's life changed...

Koutarou

Koutarou is a man who's seen the darkness in his own heart...

Reason

You think there’s another reason Mr. Katagiri quit the police?

Yes, he told me something once... He said he started getting afraid of himself when he was working on a case.

Afraid of himself?

He said he was afraid of the feeling he got when he cornered a criminal... The longer Koutarou was a detective, the more he noticed changes in himself...

A certain feeling

A certain feeling...?

He found he was getting pleasure out of seeing the despair and disappointment in the faces of the criminals he had hunted down... and that scared him, Koutarou said. He said he got scared when he realized he was actually enjoying hunting down and arresting criminals.

That‘s all I know. I don't know what other reasons he might've had, and I don’t want to know.

There are two kinds of people: those who can sleep, and those who can't. For those with a dark past they can't do anything about... those plagued by anxiety... nighttime just isn't a time of peace. I want Koutarou to be able to sleep... If I could just leave the Koutarou I don't know behind in this mansion...

Emmy...

Emmy leaves.

First time we've been able to get in here. Before anything else though, the last set of Denemon's Notes are found here.

What am I going to do? Kazuya has inherited all of my evil-- the evil that I wanted to leave behind... I just can't leave him like this... I've got to do something...

Nothing left to do here.

Mr. Katagiri, take a look at this.

“Born to an exciting destiny”...? “My mark”...? What does this mean?

This letter

Kazuya Nanase wrote this letter to Denemon.

And then Denemon secretly called Kazuya Nanase to this mansion...

Yes, that's what I think. And then...

...Denemon planned of getting rid of Kazuya Nanase—killing him himself, eh? That's why he asked Kazuya to come to the mansion.

Mr. Katagiri, I think the real Kazuya Nanase is in this mansion. He's hiding somewhere here, watching us all.

Sound of footsteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Posting to push to next page.

• Locked thread