Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

apostateCourier posted:

Which is the perfect cover for when Gulag eventually tries this gambit.

Lunch all scumclaimers.

not Gulag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GulagDolls posted:

i'm actually cult leader :smugmrgw:

when arent you?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Don’t lynch my Mason partner!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

##vote Idle Amalgam a real vote. This post feels like a breadcrumb you will go back to when you get close to being voted out to be like 'see I hinted at being something right here' and I don't like it

i dont get it.... where's the breadcrumb?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

Something something mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell something something energy references

oh lol that's a stretch.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

not Gulag

I feel vaguely like we have had this exact conversation before. I'm also painfully aware that I am relatively easy to manipulate. I also remember you being right last time, though.

Gonna have to think on this.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi who wants to be friends this game

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(even more of a stretch to believe that ia could point to that post 2 days from now and we'd be like "oh you mentioned coffee in your first post, checks out)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

apostateCourier posted:

I feel vaguely like we have had this exact conversation before. I'm also painfully aware that I am relatively easy to manipulate. I also remember you being right last time, though.

Gonna have to think on this.

It's nice to see you again and I don't understand the context of the post you're responding to but you don't say anything meaningful here. Feels fake.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amnistar posted:

How dare you vote for my confirmed mason partner!

confirmed scumslip

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Somberbrero posted:

Hi who wants to be friends this game

I like friends.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Oh now I understand. Yeah there's not much to think about AC ##vote apostateCourier

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

It's nice to see you again and I don't understand the context of the post you're responding to but you don't say anything meaningful here. Feels fake.

What's fake is you not being willing to follow the very short chain of posts leading to this point before posting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I like friends.

Very cool! 🤝

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Idle Amalgam posted:

I have once again entered the world of survival horror... good luck!

Greetings Mafia Friendfolk,

How do you do? I'm in great spirits! That first cup of coffee is kicking in and I got new mafs to play.

A glorious day indeed.

##vote gulag

##vote idle amalgam this is a scum post

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

apostateCourier posted:

What's fake is you not being willing to follow the very short chain of posts leading to this point before posting.

Yeah I got there, your post pinged me before I could read back and see.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Oh now I understand. Yeah there's not much to think about AC ##vote apostateCourier

There's plenty. Since Sandwolf and I have had a conversation very, very similar to this one I need to run that conversation back and see if the logic actually holds. I need to look that one over (if I can find it) and see how I was convinced then to see if I still accept it or not.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apostateCourier posted:

Which is the perfect cover for when Gulag eventually tries this gambit.

Lunch all scumclaimers.

its not really scumclaiming since gulag claimed (and seems to always joke-claim) cult recruiter. considering the vast majority of mafia games have "This game does not involve alignment changes" in the rules (including this one), and therefore his claim cannot mechanically be true, it's a lot easier to tell that he's just loving around

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Steak how do I play as good as you?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

its not really scumclaiming since gulag claimed (and seems to always joke-claim) cult recruiter. considering the vast majority of mafia games have "This game does not involve alignment changes" in the rules (including this one), and therefore his claim cannot mechanically be true, it's a lot easier to tell that he's just loving around

Oh.

Well I feel dumb now. ##vote gacha

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

apostateCourier posted:

There's plenty. Since Sandwolf and I have had a conversation very, very similar to this one I need to run that conversation back and see if the logic actually holds. I need to look that one over (if I can find it) and see how I was convinced then to see if I still accept it or not.

I just don't super believe you're digging that deep into something that matters so little. Feels like you're creating justification for you moving your vote instead of just moving your vote like a townie would.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gay for gacha posted:

Steak how do I play as good as you?

lol what do you mean...?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone in scumchat must have told you that buddying up to me is really easy...

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I just don't super believe you're digging that deep into something that matters so little. Feels like you're creating justification for you moving your vote instead of just moving your vote like a townie would.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but I found it to be very important before Steak pointed out the flaw in my logic. Now all that matters is that Sandwolf acted effectively identically to the last time this happened.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

lol what do you mean...?

You seem good at the game what are your tips

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

apostateCourier posted:

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but I found it to be very important before Steak pointed out the flaw in my logic. Now all that matters is that Sandwolf acted effectively identically to the last time this happened.

I get why you have to make sandwolf's previous interaction with you seem important, but it isn't. Even if you catch some inconsistency, it's a small sample size totally removed of context and doesn't impart any meaningful information. Triple-down though and let me see that exchange when you find it though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Feels like somber/courier is town on town

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

gay for gacha posted:

Honestly reading old games is the fastest way to learn outside of playing. Also almost no one is any good at this.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Let them fight.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Why?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

gay for gacha posted:

Joke phase is over!!!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

b-minus1 posted:

##vote idle amalgam this is a scum post

rude, and unfortunately, wrong.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Kashuno posted:

##vote Idle Amalgam a real vote. This post feels like a breadcrumb you will go back to when you get close to being voted out to be like 'see I hinted at being something right here' and I don't like it

lol a real vote in joke phase over an innocuous greeting.

##vote cashmoneyscumionaire

Easy enough.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gay for gacha posted:

heh, i mean there are way more experienced players in this game than me.........

broad-strokes philosophy of my gameplay strategy as town would be, uh...

1) trust in the early-game, distrust in the late-game.

when you read other players with a presupposition of trust, as opposed to a presupposition of paranoia, it's a lot easier to understand when they're being dishonest in subtle ways. if you believe them, then you'll probably notice when they do something contrary to what you believed. i guess we can call this type of supposition "passive scumhunting". As opposed to "active scumhunting", which involves assuming a person is scum and reading their posts through that lense.

scum rationale can be imagined for almost any conceivable behavior, so when we do "active" scumhunting it's necessary to have a large amount of evidence to support your theory. that's why it becomes more and more of a valuable skill as the game progresses and more information builds up. in the early-game, "passive" scumhunting is significantly more valuable. when people talk of "pings", they are (i believe) referring to this "passive" type of scumhunting.

2) wrong ≠ scum. this applies both to the self and to others. as it relates to the self, it could be reworded like "wrong ≠ failure". additionally, changing your mind is not scummy either. while you should be moderately concerned about not appearing scummy in some areas, fear of being wrong or fear of being judged for changing your reads should not be a motivating factor for you as town.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Kashuno posted:

I agree completely, but I’m not sure you’ve played with them enough to know that.

##vote Kashuno

@Somber: I’ve done this exact thing with AC before, your exact feelings on tone, and I was damned wrong. I’m p sure this is townAC. Let’s look elsewhere.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kashuno posted:

Boooooo I don't like this opinion.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm rolling on the floor laughing my rear end off out loud at someone asking mr. steak for mafia advice

luv u steak

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jon Joe posted:

I'm rolling on the floor laughing my rear end off out loud at someone asking mr. steak for mafia advice

luv u steak

i know right lmao

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sandwolf posted:

I agree completely, but I’m not sure you’ve played with them enough to know that.

##vote Kashuno

@Somber: I’ve done this exact thing with AC before, your exact feelings on tone, and I was damned wrong. I’m p sure this is townAC. Let’s look elsewhere.

ugh but I feel like the argument works really well even if I happen to be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Somberbrero posted:

ugh but I feel like the argument works really well even if I happen to be wrong

well I’m proud of you for that! but you know we gotta find scum not present logical arguments