Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Welcome back to the rotation, Alex Wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The Brewers can't be serious about starting Estrada at Coors tomorrow. Prepare to see the most home runs ever hit by one team in a single game.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The Brewers can't be serious about starting Estrada at Coors tomorrow. Prepare to see the most home runs ever hit by one team in a single game.

You think there's no way he'll even get out of the 3rd. And yes, the numbers point to it. But this is the exact kind of game where he'll go 7 IP, 7 K, 5 H, 1ER, 0 HR. I've seen it too many times.

I don't know what it is, but games that seem like certain doom for pitchers with decent talent always seem to work out. It's the games where the pitcher's in neutral territory, or even favorable territory, where they'll give up 7 ER in 1.2 IP.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

But his nickname is "Big Game James" and you can't find a guy like that, man. He's a winner.

- Bill Smith, 2010

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Senf posted:

Considering the man was awesome to witness three no-no's in person, anything else seems perfectly possible and I would be cool with him riding a unicorn to and from Dodger Stadium.
He saw Gibson's home run too, so maybe my dad really is a wizard.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Kris Bryant homered in his first game at AAA. THE FUTURE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I already feel bad for Kris Bryant.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I already feel bad for Kris Bryant.

Yeah, you can't help but wonder what sort of awful mummy curse will befall him before he can fulfill his perceived destiny as the greatest hitter in MLB history.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

WTF! Should have been another Ranger, leave the Braves alone baseball gods! Also can we add that pic to the Dr Andrews pic instead of his face?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, you can't help but wonder what sort of awful mummy curse will befall him before he can fulfill his perceived destiny as the greatest hitter in MLB history.

I'll be going to the I-Cubs game tomorrow, I eagerly await seeing Bryant snap his elbow in two or some poo poo!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

Was you family car a helicopter? It takes like 17 hours just to get from the freeway to the parking lot there is no way. Lies. This is like all those people who say they saw Wilt score 100 points even though the game was played in front of 12 people in Hersey, PA.

But who knows maybe there was no traffic on a weekday night in LA. Also maybe he rode a unicorn.

Getting in and out of Dodger stadium from the Pasadena direction on 110 is always super quick FYI.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Lookout Landing, I know but this made me chuckle heartily. Even though I know its against all evidence to the contrary, I really would like to see the Mariners bringing up good Major League hitters through their system and not have them die as 'AAAA' players.

Lookout Landing posted:

"We are very excited to welcome Mr. Jackson to the Mariner family," said Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik, "and we look forward to watching him struggle at the major-league level for years to come." Zduriencik also mentioned that, in addition to his $4.2M bonus, Jackson will receive a gift basket including a copy of The Seattle Mariners Guide to Hitting in the Minors But Not the Majors and a $50 voucher for a lesson from an outside hitting coach.

When asked to comment, Mariners president and financial guru Kevin Mather expressed confidence in the signing. "As an organization," he stated, "we came to the conclusion that acquiring the right to make Mr. Jackson wear our team's uniform while playing baseball was the best possible use of 4,200,000 dollars." Another team executive (who prefers to remain anonymous) says that the team also considered buying 840,000 $5 mosquito nets to donate to charity, but ultimately concluded that Jackson's blend of plate patience and power was a better bet.

For his part, Jackson seems thrilled with the Mariners' decision to give him millions of dollars. A source close to negotiations told this reporter: "Alex is naturally excited for the chance to play baseball in front of the hundreds of fans at Safeco Field, but for him the real draw was the money. You can buy a lot with four point two million dollars, you know.

Gina like vagina fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 20, 2014

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Krigen posted:

Felix Hernandez gets another 'no decision' today on a quality start because the M's are a stupid team with no offense that can't give him run support. :(

Andrew Cashner is also good.

Monicro posted:

Considering Myers was a huge part of their team down the stretch last year and KC got like 5 more wins than they would've without Shields, and that they more or less had to win the world series both years they had him to win the trade, no they are not even

Considering the Royals could have just signed Kyle Lohse and gotten essentially the same run prevention for the same money and could have kept Wil Myers I'm gonna go ahead and say it was dumb.

Pumpkin McPastry fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 20, 2014

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Explosionface posted:

Nothing stopped Corey Patterson and Felix Pie, sooooooooooooooooooooooo

Now that the Bears have had a QB for a few years and (maybe) the networks have retired bears_quarterbacks.jpg, I'm pondering the feasibility of a cubs_prospects.jpg. Samardzija (maybe?) and Castro probably gently caress that up, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

There are like 15 aces in baseball and Big Gim Jim is not one of them

The Cubs have this ace named Jake Arrieta they would love to trade your team, though.

Deathlove posted:

Now that the Bears have had a QB for a few years and (maybe) the networks have retired bears_quarterbacks.jpg, I'm pondering the feasibility of a cubs_prospects.jpg. Samardzija (maybe?) and Castro probably gently caress that up, though.

You could do a Cubs_firstroundpicks.jpg from 2002-2010 and it would be pretty awful with Cashner being the exception.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 20, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Explosionface posted:

He's a Cub. That's bad enough.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 20, 2014

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

tadashi posted:

You could do a Cubs_firstroundpicks.jpg from 1965-2010 and it would be pretty awful with Hooten, Cashner, Palmeiro, A year or so of Prior, Wood, and maybe Dunston (1-1) being the exceptions.

Fixed for sad accuracy.

(Trigger warning: Bad overall blog) Bleed Cubbie Blue did a write up of Cubs drafts 65-11 prior to this year's and it's pretty ugly.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2014/6/3/5774148/cubs-draft-history-1965-2011

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Weren't the Cubs always pointed to when anyone asked "what does rushing prospects to the majors mean?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Explosionface posted:

Brooks Kieschnick is going to appear out of nowhere and kneecap him before his first MLB at-bat, screaming, "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME, drat IT!"

Also, Matt Joyce hit a batting practice ball back into the pitching machine:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If Trout has a good game tonight he'll pass Ty Cobb for most career fWAR through the age 22 season. In 191 less games and 690 less PAs. :vince:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Ty Cobb was dreamier though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alan Trammell posted:

Yeah, what is Trout's BAAF (batting average against fans)?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Trout will somehow never win an MVP though

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Alan Trammell posted:

gently caress Ty Cobb.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

N: The Twins are calling up Yohan Pino to start tomorrow instead of Sam Deduno.

V: It's a step in the right direction. Shame Correia has pitched well for three out of four starts now, though. They have to make room on the 40 man (and the 25 man, obviously) so I wonder who's going to take the fall.

Pino pitched seven innings, gave up two runs on five hits and a walk, and struck out seven in a no-decision (he left the game tied 2-2, Twins scored twice in the eighth to win) :toot:

Also the room on the 40 man was made by putting Pelfrey on the 60-day DL so my hopes of his injury being season ending are closer to becoming truth.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Der Meister posted:

Trout will somehow never win an MVP though

He should try sharpening his spikes with a file between innings.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Abel Wingnut posted:

You think there's no way he'll even get out of the 3rd. And yes, the numbers point to it. But this is the exact kind of game where he'll go 7 IP, 7 K, 5 H, 1ER, 0 HR. I've seen it too many times.

I don't know what it is, but games that seem like certain doom for pitchers with decent talent always seem to work out. It's the games where the pitcher's in neutral territory, or even favorable territory, where they'll give up 7 ER in 1.2 IP.

I don't have that much hope. The guy's an extreme fly ball pitcher. In some of the bigger parks out there it's not a problem, but there's no way the ball's staying in the park for him in Coors. I think the best we can hope for is that his home runs come with the bases empty and that the Brewers' bats stay awake for this game.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Deteriorata posted:

He should try sharpening his spikes with a file between innings.

Or jumping into the stands to pummel a disabled heckler.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Killville Meteor

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

tadashi posted:

You could do a Cubs_firstroundpicks.jpg from 2002-2010 and it would be pretty awful with Cashner being the exception.

Last night I spent half an hour going through the cubs 2010 draft to see how many of them are in independent ball / out of baseball entirely. It started out as a way to torment SmasherDynamo but then it turned into a sick obsession.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ty Cobb is a Longest Yard character but in real life.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

bawfuls posted:

He saw Gibson's home run too, so maybe my dad really is a wizard.

A friend of mine left that game before Gibson hit that HR 'to beat the traffic'. I never let him live it down.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Wacha to miss his scheduled start Sunday, no injury he just needs some extra rest. Carlos Martinez will get the spot start.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PotatoJudge posted:

Wacha to miss his scheduled start Sunday, no injury he just needs some extra rest. Carlos Martinez will get the spot start.

I feel like they're using Wacha getting some rest so he won't flame out before the playoffs as a convinient excuse to keep starting Martinez.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
They did scheduled skips for Shelby Miller last year too. I'm sure they'll skip another one before or after the ASB

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea this was scheduled and planned. It's part of them keeping the younger arms innings down a little bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ty Cobb is a Longest Yard character but in real life.
A lot of the crazy Ty Cobb anecdotes come from the discredited Al Stump biography, which many don't realize

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of the crazy Ty Cobb anecdotes come from the discredited Al Stump biography, which many don't realize

Does that mean that I don't have to feel like an rear end in a top hat now whenever I say that Ty Cobb owned the hardest? (against all the old-timey white dudes)

Zodiac5000 posted:

gently caress Ty Cobb.

A Bad Opinion

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nah Cobb was pretty cool, it's just he wasn't some kinda crazy folklore level dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ty Cobb put poison on the end of his sharpened cleats.

• Locked thread