Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

If there's enemies everywhere, let's put one somewhere inconvenient opposite side of all the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'm going to guess that you get a monster for defeating all enemies, since with four marshals it's going to be very annoying and possibly risky to fight all of them, so it seems the natural choice.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
There's no monster. As much as the game seems to be trying to convince us there will be, what with the emphasis on forcing you toward the right.

CecilHoshino
Oct 2, 2013

Mm. Yes. Quite amused.
Well at least we won't be called upon to come flying to anyone's rescue; once we endure the initial onslaught, we should be fine, right?

Right?

Monster automatically joins after a certain period of time. You'll be wanting to end quickly to not have to deal with respawning opponents, what better way to trip the player up?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright, I think we can call it there. Bonz has almost as many votes as everyone else combined, so I'd say that's pretty decisive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fighting as they fled, Kaiba tries to escape to the east. Now, he finds himself surrounded in Maryah-Denn with no way out!

Strap in kids, this one is going to be rough. The consensus was to go with Bonz as our fourth marshal, a decision I'm quite pleased with. Labyrinth Ruler would also have been acceptable, but Rex, while usually a solid defender, is not the guy we want for this map in particular.

We were so close! We can't let this opportunity slip away. We have to stop them here and now!

Of course. But our enemy is strong, and we're at a severe disadvantage here.

I've never given up, Pegasus. There is always a way out. Always!

Well, you'd better hope so Kaiba because we're in a hell of a bad spot right now.

This is why you always have an escape plan, no matter how confident you are of success.

So hey, remember these guys? Not only do we have six guys gunning straight for us, most of them are fusion teams.

Given the teams these lot are using and the way they’re now rushing your main base, this map really is just Refugees in ‘hard mode’.

Thankfully, Bonz trivializes the hell out of these teams. As long as one of them stays paralyzed for a couple turns, I can break the fusion - not difficult when Bonz's team is swinging for 700+ damage after a Dark Energy.

It’s really no wonder that the vote was so lopsided.

Bonz takes down both Wing Eagle teams and a Berfomet team, so Mokuba switches in for a bit.

What, are you blind yourself? That's twice there you hosed up getting the kill on Beastking of the Swamps. He's got Red Medicine, you know! :argh:

You were seriously trusting Mokuba to do something right? :v:

One more Berfomet team, and our initial defenses are done. Pegasus takes the lead at home, and Kaiba and Bonz move out to hit the other towns.

But 6:00 comes quickly, and at the top of the hour...

Yugi?! What are you doing here?

I'll tell you later! Leave half the enemy to me!

I don't remember asking for any help!

But at least we have a chance against the enemy now!

You shut your mouth, Mokuba. Do you see any more enemies on the map? :colbert:

Anyway, true to his word, Yugi takes out half the enemies and makes this a fair fight. Mind you, this happens after you’ve probably had to weather all five of the initial enemies, so he’s helping less than he thinks.

I’ve never seen this event actually being useful, but I imagine that might be different if you play Kaiba’s campaign first.

Meanwhile, back at Maryah-Denn…

It took a lot of effort to get him, so it’s only fair that Artix gets to enjoy using Moischa.

Only one thing to do now. Onwards to Riz-Phonn!

You, the little boys defying Master Scott! You should give up!

loving Dungeon Worm. Monster Tamer has both his special and some Blue Medicine, but we still want to prioritize the worm.

I mean, look at that thing. He's not quite as strong, but he actually has more AP than Labyrinth Tank does.

Remember, Dungeon Worm also gets poison on his attack at higher levels. Definitely nasty for a Beast.

Anyway, we really don't need him being healed, so Labyrinth Tank focuses on keeping Monster Tamer out of the equation while the dragons wear down Dungeon Worm.

Nice bit of strategy there.

It's not a pretty fight, but it eventually falls in our favor.

GWAAAAH...! Forgive me, please... Master Scott, NOOOOO!

Good! Now we've got our way out!

Split up and retreat, everybody! You know where to go!

Uh-oh, I must have gotten seperated from Seto...

Gee, you sound worried, Mokuba.

AHH! Scott!

If it hadn't been for you and your brother, I probably wouldn't be here today.

What do you mean?

Heh heh heh... You're coming with me, my little friend.

Alright guys, it finally happened, we can stop pretending that we didn't see this coming.

Anyone who doubted that this was going to happen ought to slap themselves.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was actually wondering how Mokuba hadn't been kidnapped yet while reading the update. Good to know that got fixed, wouldn't want to go against the one true core of Mokuba's character.

Also I can't help but enjoy how dedicated Kaiba is to winning. Things get bad, he keeps optimistic because victory is just that important to him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh no Mokuba got kidnapped. :geno:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh. Mokuba's been kidnapped. How surprising. :geno:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Mokuba got kidnapped. Whatever shall we do. :geno:

Artix posted:

I'll tell you later! Leave half the enemy to me!

Kaiba didn't need any help you slowpoke. Try showing up when there's enemies to take on.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Kaiba's dramatic aid is much better since he takes out a defense that might be holding you up. Yugi takes out an offense that you've probably already worn down.

If you do Kaiba's campaign first, what usually happens is you almost kill everything and survive the fusions, then yugi beats half the teams and stops you from geting exp...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, that's a real shame about Mokuba or something.

More importantly, when is Kaiba getting his Blue Eyes White Dragons?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

More importantly, when is Kaiba getting his Blue Eyes White Dragons?

Relatively soon, actually! Chapter 14

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Even more importantly, when do we finally get Bandit Keith?

Not getting Bandit Keith is completely unacceptable.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright, well this is a little bit earlier than I planned but I'm about to head to work so whatever.

Welp, things have gone from bad to worse. Mokuba's been kidnapped, so we're down yet another marshal and if you thought we were spoiled for choice with four marshals, well, let me tell you about next chapter. We've finally reached the point where Pegasus is no longer mandatory (for now, at least), but he's still a pretty good marshal and there's no reason not to bring him if he fits the mission.

And speaking of fitting the mission, Scott's here! And he brought an entire platoon of enemies with him! Did I mention that our victory conditions are to run out the clock or liberate Gigan-Syip?

Anyway, the marshal vote is here. We could also grab some of Mokuba's monsters if we wanted to move them around, but I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely, given that everyone's teams have been pretty stable.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I'd like to vote to move Mokuba's best monster to take over Seto's worst monster, even if Mokuba's best isn't as good as Kaiba's worst.

Immediately cannibalizing Mokuba's team seems like something he would do, and it will be nice to have something to remember Mokuba by.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, good. That's not too far off.

Additionally, I'm surprised they gave Seeker/Rare Hunter the monsters of the Paradox Brothers rather than those defense oriented monsters like Gear Golem the Moving Fortress that he always seems to get.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kaiba, maybe you should care about more people so as to widen the pool of kidnap targets.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
No monsters.

Also, leave Mokuba's monsters where they are, because if they were insufficient to prevent Scott from kidnapping him, no one ought to be using them.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

No monsters. We still have a bunch of those stages to go.

As for our team monsters, I second the notion that we leave them as is. Useless thing couldn't stop Mokuba from getting kidnapped.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright, I think that's gone on long enough. Looks like it'll be Kaiba, Pegasus, and Bonz taking on Scott's army.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
No monsters. If Kaiba's campaign is as long as Yugi's then we're running out of stages with monsters soon.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Happy Blue posted:

Also, leave Mokuba's monsters where they are, because if they were insufficient to prevent Scott from kidnapping him, no one ought to be using them.

That, and they have Mokuba germs on them.

I'll also say that there are no monsters.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

...pursuers. Countless battles have taken their toll, and Scott's army shows visible signs of fatigue - Kaiba must strike now!

Kaiba will bear the brunt of the attack while Yugi and his forces sneak around to attack the enemy from behind. They may be tired, but Scott's army is still massive. Kaiba and his forces will have to hold out until Yugi comes through.

Pegasus of all people actually commanded the highest vote total, with Bonz ahead of Labyrinth Ruler by 4 or 5 votes when I called it. And thank christ for that, because without Bonz, this mission would be a nightmare.

Provided you weren’t subject to the whims of a voting audience, I don’t see why you’d use anyone else.

But it's all a bit pointless. Your chances of winning are less than 0.00009%.

I'm going to wipe that cool smile right off your face, Scott! You just wait!

Hmph. Well, okay then, hit me with your best shot.

So yeah, either we take down Scott himself, or we hold out until Yugi comes and saves our rear end. You get one guess what we're doing.

Those odds are worse than a million to one, by the way. And you know what they say about those kind of odds...

Conga lines. Really loving dangerous conga lines. All seven grunts are coming straight for us, and the only thing standing between us and failure is Kaiba and Bonz.

There’s not much downside to just letting them take that town and holing up in the castle, if you really care about the extra 300/600 attack.

So here we go. First up is a pair of Neck Hunter teams; nothing dangerous, but these first fights are really just to wear you down.

After wiping the first two teams, I intended to switch in Bonz to deal with the Labyrinth Tanks, but my cannons went off right before the first one arrived so gently caress it, what's one more fight?

I mean, come on, would you really turn down more Labyrinth Tank?

Parrot Dragon’s looking pretty good these days too.

There's no hope of getting another cannon set up in time, so we’ll switch the cannons out for a Healer and bring in Bonz to take the full-strength Labyrinth Tank.

And while we wait on that, Pegasus is sent off on a sneaking mission.

Because Pegasus is in no way too flamboyant for stealth.

With the Labyrinth Tanks down, that just leaves the three Kaiser Dragon teams.

Of course, Labyrinth Tank just had to go and gently caress everything up.

As you could probably guess, they're headed for Tsughut, not us. And Labyrinth Tank drat near pushed that Kaiser Dragon past the little town's ZOC. I was panicking here a little bit, because Kaiser Dragon is actually faster than Labyrinth Tank, so Kaiba couldn't even chase him down if he slipped past us.

The way that teams are shunted about in situations like these don’t seem to make any sense to me. (This is another possible reason why you might like to stay in Tsughut.)

You know what, after that near miss I don't really care about playing fair anymore.

With Bonz off to the northeast and Pegasus en route to Gigan-Syip, we can finally sit back and take a breather. Note how much time has gone by - if we were waiting out the clock, we'd have to do that entire gauntlet again (maybe twice, I've never bothered to find out).

This game wasn’t really balanced too well, was it?

Come on, I'm right here. Let me show you once and for all that I am the law!

Unlike the fakeout in Yugi's campaign, this Scott is the real deal. Don't expect to just waltz up to the castle and have him run away.

That said, the fight goes like pretty much every fight with Scott does (though both Embodiments of Aphosis have Red and Blue Medicine).

It’s a pity that Mystical Beast Serket is so terrible. Total waste of a giant purple scorpion.

:fuckoff:

I catch a break when he uses Blue Medicine instead of Red after surviving with about 100 HP. Wouldn't have changed anything, but I'm all for making my job easier.

Your units to the rear have been wiped out, Scott! You're all alone! Your ambitions stop right here!

Huh! How about that? Kaiba here was just a decoy. Not bad, kids. Not bad at all.

You're awfully calm for someone that's about to get beaten. You're the one that's all alone now.

Hmm, perhaps I should have handled things myself. It must have been too much for my stand-in.

Stand-in?!

Why, yes. The "Scott" you've been dealing with is just a robot that I've been controlling remotely. I'm a very busy man, you know. But I should have taken the time to face you myself. I see that now.

Oh well, there's always next time. Until we meet again! Have fun and play safe! Heh heh heh... Ha ha ha ha ha!

Of course it was a fake, Scott hasn't even blackmailed Kaiba with Mokuba yet. Come on, that would be too easy.

That looked like more of a hologram than a robot. More iffy localisation, perhaps?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

That is really weird. Why a robot? We're in a game so it's completely fine for the fake Scott to be a hologram.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's just proof that Scott is an ex-Kaibacorp employee. Everything has to be over the top unnecessarily complex, as expected from people who worked on spicing up a tabletop card game with super advanced holgrams.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

So I take it our friend Moischa was worth it then.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Scott tried to be Judge Dredd while he sicced a Doombot on us.

I'm not impressed. :colbert:

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Testekill posted:

That is really weird. Why a robot? We're in a game so it's completely fine for the fake Scott to be a hologram.

With a robot you can control it with a remote and you don't have to have prerecorded actions or do the actions live, so he can sit back and be more relaxed while his plans fall apart around him.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Blue Ghost posted:

With a robot you can control it with a remote and you don't have to have prerecorded actions or do the actions live, so he can sit back and be more relaxed while his plans fall apart around him.

With a hologram, scott can stand in front of a green screen (or not even that since it's a "game") and just act out everything. Maybe wear a microphone. Doesn't require a remote control, more like playing on a wii/kinect/the ps3 version of those things.

The same can be said for the robot though, if you've seen futurama.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, isn't Mokuba already technically kidnapped, since Scott brought us into this world against our will?

So now he's double-kidnapped?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

We're done with Scott for the time being, so it's time to regroup and get back on the offensive. We're back in Uruvie to...help ourselves to some of the Empire's supplies, if you will. It's back to 6 marshals, so no marshal vote. Konami wouldn't give us four maps in a row without a monster...right?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Bottom left in the river. Just out of the way enough without being a waste of time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Guessing you get a monster for clearing the map.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Bottom left just to the right of the river - where the brown meets the green.

I feel like this game is just trying to justify extending itself further. Why else would Scott be a robot?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Still guessing no monster for reasoning of missions left. Yes I believe they could give Kaiba a monster drought.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
No monsters.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Glazius posted:

Wait, isn't Mokuba already technically kidnapped, since Scott brought us into this world against our will?

So now he's double-kidnapped?

What are the charges of kidnapping someone you already have in your custody who you already kidnapped? I think he might be able to find a legal loophole out of the charges on the grounds of how ridiculous it is.

I'll say one monster bottom of the left patch of forest.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Blue Ghost posted:

What are the charges of kidnapping someone you already have in your custody who you already kidnapped? I think he might be able to find a legal loophole out of the charges on the grounds of how ridiculous it is.

In the Yu-Gi-Oh universe? Such a loophole would cause the justice system to collapse upon itself.

One monster directly south of the middle town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The Yugioh universe has a justice system?

• Locked thread