Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Who was the last masked wwe/wwf champ before Rey Mysterio? Does having a mask hold you back?

The only one you could make a case for is Kane's first run. Other than that, nobody. Unless you want to get into semantics and count Mankind.

quote:

What is the quickest debut to world champion run in wwe history?

I think Lesnar has Sheamus beaten by about a week.

quote:

What shape is Taker in at this point? I hear lots of guesswork but is he really as banged up as people say?

Apparently is shoulder is permanently damaged because he waited to have rotator cuff surgery too long. His knees have been bad for about half a decade now.

He's probably capable of two decent angles a year, but that's about it. Don't be surprised at all if he's only working January-Wrestlemania from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Manwithastick posted:

Can a comedy wrestler have success without going serious? Colt Cabana seems to be the only success I can think of which sucks for wrestlers like Colin Delaney who I think is great :)

at the point where he won his first title, Mick Foley was playing the Mankind character as essentially a comedy character.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

What is the quickest debut to world champion run in wwe history?

Buddy Rogers - Won the title on his 1st day in the company. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Depends if you count Hogan's first run with the WWF in the late 70's as separate from the Hulkamania run a few years later. If so, Hogan won the belt a month after returning, which is a pretty big deal in 1983.

And I hope to God that Taker doesn't do the dive next year. Not sure whether it's poor positioning, him not quite getting the air he used to, or wrestlers being dicks these days about actually catching guys doing aerial stuff, but he's landed on his head about 3 times now. I'd rather not have the Streak be unbroken because he broke his neck halfway through Taker/Triple H III.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The thing with Taker is that he has yet to have a match where he comes off as on old guy who's past his prime, IMO at least. He still wrestles a current WWE main event style and doesn't look out of place at all. I'm sure the average fan has no idea about his various injuries and how broken down his body may be. Considering the level at which he's still able to perform today, I see no reason why he couldn't be having mini-runs far into the future - like 2003 Hogan, 1996 Jake Roberts, or 1998 Terry Funk. Not saying that he should have runs like that, but I think he physically could. He could wrestle like he did when he first debuted, just be a no-selling monster that chokes people. Ideally though he'll pull an HBK and retire in top form.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Vince most certainly is, I believe his Wrestlemania match with Hart last year was supposed to be the end of the Mr McMahon character. As I understand it this doesn't mean he'll never be on television again, but he won't be playing the evil and vindictive Austin era McMahon.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet
What/where/when the hell is the origin of blading? Who came up with that great idea?

edit: And how many pints has Hulk Hogan claimed to have bled?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vince was on TV like 6 weeks ago when he announced the Guest Host of Mania thing

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

sportsgenius86 posted:

Vince was on TV like 6 weeks ago when he announced the Guest Host of Mania thing

Sue Denim posted:

Vince most certainly is, I believe his Wrestlemania match with Hart last year was supposed to be the end of the Mr McMahon character. As I understand it this doesn't mean he'll never be on television again, but he won't be playing the evil and vindictive Austin era McMahon.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I know.

The original question referenced not remembering the last time we even saw McMahon.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Mullah Nasrudin posted:

What/where/when the hell is the origin of blading? Who came up with that great idea?

edit: And how many pints has Hulk Hogan claimed to have bled?

I suspect somebody hardway bled during a match in the 40s and the bloodlust and pop from the audience made wrestlers want the same results

Though I'd bet my shoes theres a more interesting version

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Lamuella posted:

at the point where he won his first title, Mick Foley was playing the Mankind character as essentially a comedy character.

was this the rock vs Mankind feud? I thought that was all about him having enough of Vince and the Rock and getting all serious about taking the title from him?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Manwithastick posted:

was this the rock vs Mankind feud? I thought that was all about him having enough of Vince and the Rock and getting all serious about taking the title from him?
I'd say he was a bit more than a comedy character, since he was definitely painted as a sympathetic figure as well. Like we're not really supposed to feel bad for Santino; when he gets done wrong he just screams like a girl and the crowd laughs.

Makind had been mistreated by the Corporation and played for a fool. He got a little serious by threatening to break Shane's arm to receive a title shot, but they were still focusing on the sympathy/comedy side of things with him. Winning the belt was like the ultimate insult to Vince, since Mankind was the antithesis of what he wanted in a corporate champion, which is why Austin interfered to make it happen.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
who does everyone see being Taker's next Mania match? They've left the door open for Taker/HHH 3 but it seems obvious. At this stage of the game they wouldn't necessarily put Taker in the ring with someone who would force Taker to do all of the 'heavy lifting' and they're not going to squander his energy making a star out of a new face.

For sentimental purposes, if health and availability are not an issue, I'd mark for Foley to be next. The pure history of these men sells the match and both could be seen as possibly frail but singleminded warriors. They'd get a lot of Attitude Era fans buying that RRV as well.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

who does everyone see being Taker's next Mania match? They've left the door open for Taker/HHH 3 but it seems obvious. At this stage of the game they wouldn't necessarily put Taker in the ring with someone who would force Taker to do all of the 'heavy lifting' and they're not going to squander his energy making a star out of a new face.

For sentimental purposes, if health and availability are not an issue, I'd mark for Foley to be next. The pure history of these men sells the match and both could be seen as possibly frail but singleminded warriors. They'd get a lot of Attitude Era fans buying that RRV as well.

Never thought of Foley but its a great idea especially with the History.

Have to say, I really want to see Sting, the action wouldnt be HBK/UT level of awesome but it would be a great "dream match" atmosphere

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Manwithastick posted:

Never thought of Foley but its a great idea especially with the History.

Jesus Christ, Foley's essentially a cripple and you want him in the ring with a 46-year-old Undertaker? :gonk:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Jesus Christ, Foley's essentially a cripple and you want him in the ring with a 46-year-old Undertaker? :gonk:

If he can bring a Rocky Balboa cutout to a five star match there's nothing he can't do!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Timby posted:

I'd assume that in booking Foley it would No Holds Barred which would allow for all kinds of creativity, especially interference if necessary. You know you'd mark out if a planted Terry Funk took a free shot at Taker.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orton rematch maybe? Orton is taken a lot more seriously now and has a career-ender gimmick.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't imagine how slowly a Orton vs Taker match would move. Maybe if Orton suddenly kicked everything into high gear, like he used to do so long ago, it would be good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I can't imagine how slowly a Orton vs Taker match would move.
So slowly that they actually start from the finish and end at the stare-off, bro.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apparently you guys have just completely forgotten that Randy's match plan used to be A Million Headlocks or that his match with Taker at WM21 was really, really good. It is because you reflexively and irrationally hate all babyfaces, but Randy forgives you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Apparently you guys have just completely forgotten that Randy's match plan used to be A Million Headlocks or that his match with Taker at WM21 was really, really good. It is because you reflexively and irrationally hate all babyfaces, but Randy forgives you.

I get that you've replaced Triple H with Orton as your "he must not be criticized, he is GOOD" figure, but Orton's matches have been utter dogshit since WrestleMania 25, probably a bit before.

I mean, his match plan still is A Million Headlocks. Between promos and in-ring action, he's just boring. He's gotten completely and utterly complacent. You like to say he's Steve Austin with a better body -- that might be a better comparison if Orton had a goddamn personality.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Yeah but Orton in 04-05 was Orton at his best in ring. Matches with Foley, Edge, Benoit, all great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Orton used to be decently fun to watch, I think. Unless I'm remembering things wrong. It's just once he took control of Legacy and got the persona we know today, he decided to slow things wayyyyyy down in the ring.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Minidust posted:

Makind had been mistreated by the Corporation and played for a fool. He got a little serious by threatening to break Shane's arm to receive a title shot, but they were still focusing on the sympathy/comedy side of things with him. Winning the belt was like the ultimate insult to Vince, since Mankind was the antithesis of what he wanted in a corporate champion, which is why Austin interfered to make it happen.

Austin's entrance during that match is quite possibly the best and loudest pop in wrestling history, its still loving amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEg1a4FGvTM

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I get that you've replaced Triple H with Orton as your "he must not be criticized, he is GOOD" figure, but Orton's matches have been utter dogshit since WrestleMania 25, probably a bit before.

[quote]You like to say he's Steve Austin with a better body -- [quote]that might be a better comparison if Orton had a goddamn personality.

This is the complaint that continually boggles my mind, since Orton is really one of the few guys with an actual personality. Like he is a completely deranged psychopath babyface who hates all other living things and somehow that is not a personality.

It just leaves me with the impression that people are drinking kool-aid on this. I don't really want to say that because it implies lovely groupthink and ultra-smarkiness but there's not a lot else to conclude because the opinions just defy sense to me. Like his '07-'08 stuff is now apparently forgotten even though his title run was the best in years before and after, and pretty much featured the match of the night on every PPV. He is now slow even though as a babyface he picks the pace up even from that.

Out of everyone in terms of in-ring, really only CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are as good and Bryan doesn't get any time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can't speak for Orton's stuff before the recent babyface turn, bro, but every single match he's had has just bored the poo poo out of me except for stuff like the triple-threat with Edge and Jericho or the Elimination Chamber.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah but Orton in 04-05 was Orton at his best in ring. Matches with Foley, Edge, Benoit, all great.

If you couldn't have a good match with Benoit, in-his-prime Edge or a motivated Foley, you shouldn't be in wrestling. Orton had those things, and he still shouldn't be in wrestling.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Goog posted:

If you couldn't have a good match with Benoit, in-his-prime Edge or a motivated Foley, you shouldn't be in wrestling. Orton had those things, and he still shouldn't be in wrestling.

Yes he should, it's just that he should stop being booked like a nineties era retooled super hero.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Do you guys still think that certain workers aren't told to work a certain style?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Goog posted:

Orton was entertaining as gently caress right after his face turn. He was basically a psychopath that nobody wanted to mess with and they stayed far away. Even Nexus, who was beating the poo poo out of Cena nightly, wanted nothing to do with him. Not so much because they couldn't beat him, but because they knew he'd gently caress some poo poo right up while they did.

Then he became Standard Face #3 and was invincible and I gave up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Goog posted:

After Wrestlemania 27, no one with a Mizatar gets to decide who else is allowed to wrestle.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

After Wrestlemania 27, no one with a Mizatar gets to decide who else is allowed to wrestle.

I think his avatar is Toxx related.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

weekly font posted:

Do you guys still think that certain workers aren't told to work a certain style?

WWE style Mistico: chop chop irish whip bulldog and repeat

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Timby posted:

if Orton had a goddamn personality.

How is "completely bat poo poo crazy" not a personality? Is it just his voice you hate? I like Orton's character. Sure, he's not the best wrestler on the planet by any means, but to say he lacks personality is pretty 2007-8 to me. I think he's had a pretty decent character since Legacy's destruction.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheOneTrueKing posted:

How is "completely bat poo poo crazy" not a personality? Is it just his voice you hate? I like Orton's character. Sure, he's not the best wrestler on the planet by any means, but to say he lacks personality is pretty 2007-8 to me. I think he's had a pretty decent character since Legacy's destruction.

Orton does have a character, but from what I've seen (since Elimination Chamber) it doesn't make sense. He is a legit psycho, he enjoys hurting people and he happily ends careers. So I should cheer for him rather than the guy who he screwed out of a title win because....?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

Orton does have a character, but from what I've seen (since Elimination Chamber) it doesn't make sense. He is a legit psycho, he enjoys hurting people and he happily ends careers. So I should cheer for him rather than the guy who he screwed out of a title win because....?

A vindictive, petty and scheming little dude versus a force of nature. Makes perfect wrestling sense.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Orton has basically never had a particularly good match as a face. He works too slowly to show good face fire, his comebacks suck, his character doesn't fit as a face, and his selling is just abysmal. He's a very good heel and he really needs to be one because it's not like this is the first time he's pretty much flopped in this role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jeffersonlives posted:

Orton has basically never had a particularly good match as a face. He works too slowly to show good face fire, his comebacks suck, his character doesn't fit as a face, and his selling is just abysmal. He's a very good heel and he really needs to be one because it's not like this is the first time he's pretty much flopped in this role.

Good lord, as terrible as he is as a face, at least it gives him some offense beyond a million headlocks.