Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

TheGoatTrick posted:

Given projected sales numbers, these cars only make sense if the development cost is shared with another company.

I wonder what their plan is, are they going to rebadge an M4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

oRenj9 posted:

The Toyota/BMW project has always been a new, jointly-developed platform. I would expect it to underpin a Z4 or some other, new BMW roadster sometime down the road.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

The Toyota/BMW project has always been a new, jointly-developed platform. I would expect it to underpin a Z4 or some other, new BMW roadster sometime down the road.

It makes sense. BMW probably wants to keep a coupe/roadster in their lineup, but can't really justify an entire production line for just that one model. Toyota seems desperate to get a halo coupe to the market, but can't justify creating an entire new production line for one. LHD drive models can be built in Europe/America, RHD in Japan and the UK.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's one of the farther out-there collaborations, that's for sure. What's next... Lamborghini & Hyundai? Although I think that would make for a very interesting Veloster refresh.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Volvo and Nissan?

NEVS/SAAB and Chery?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
So the Toyota-BMW will have no soul AND no cooling system.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

Volvo and Nissan?

Considering that Renault and Volvo have collaborated before (PRV engine) and Nissan is practically merged with Renault at this point, that's not particularly far-fetched.

PBCrunch posted:

So the Toyota-BMW will have no soul AND no cooling system.

No, it's Neo-BMW + Toyota, so the cooling system will be fine, but the electric power steering will have no feedback and they'll find the most awkward place to put the oil filter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Devyl posted:

It's one of the farther out-there collaborations, that's for sure. What's next... Lamborghini & Hyundai? Although I think that would make for a very interesting Veloster refresh.

it's hardly chalk and cheese, they're both major mass production car companies. Toyota is definitely a lot bigger, but BMW still has multiple distributed manufacturing plants all over the world.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

HotCanadianChick posted:

Considering that Renault and Volvo have collaborated before (PRV engine) and Nissan is practically merged with Renault at this point, that's not particularly far-fetched.

It is because Volvo is a Chinese company.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

It is because Volvo is a Chinese company.

I thought Saab was the one that got bought by the Chinese. Or did both of the Swede companies get taken by China? Haven't kept up with what happened to Volvo after Ford sold them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I thought Saab was the one that got bought by the Chinese. Or did both of the Swede companies get taken by China? Haven't kept up with what happened to Volvo after Ford sold them.

Nobody did. I'm sure there are people who work for volvo who are surprised to hear they're still making cars.

Volvo is owned by geely. saab is owned by some rich guy from hong kong.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

Nobody did. I'm sure there are people who work for volvo who are surprised to hear they're still making cars.

Volvo is owned by geely. saab is owned by some rich guy from hong kong.

And now both companies are making their best products to date :smuggo:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Devyl posted:

Hyundai hired Lotus to do chassis tuning on the new Genesis.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Friar Zucchini posted:

So the Fusion has lost the 1.6 and manual option for 2015, but instead you can get AWD on the mid-level trim with the 2.0 now.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_2015_ford_fusion_loses_1_6_ecoboost_and_manual_option.html

So my Manual fusion is now a "rare 2 year option". I'll be rich some day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PeterWeller posted:

Lotus has done chassis tuning for a lot of OEMs, and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lotus has done chassis tuning for a lot of OEMs, and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.

Oh, so we're all going to die horrible deaths because of single sheer toe links in the rear due to Chassis Tuning By Lotus?

Great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PeterWeller posted:

Didn't Hyundai own Lotus at one point?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

InitialDave posted:

Didn't Hyundai own Lotus at one point?

No. Proton still own them though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

No. Proton still own them though.
Welp, yep, that jogged my memory. Not sure why i thought it was Hyundai.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PeterWeller posted:

That's good because at least with Kia their idea of sporty handling is just to make the car a hard ride. I think I've read they're getting better though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, didn't Toyota bring them in on the last Supra?

Toyota is pretty big on working with other manufacturers on their performance cars. The twins are one example. Yamaha built the Celica GTS motors and some of their other high revvers.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, didn't Toyota bring them in on the last Supra?

Toyota is pretty big on working with other manufacturers on their performance cars. The twins are one example. Yamaha built the Celica GTS motors and some of their other high revvers.

Yamaha co-designed pretty much all the G-head engines (4A-G(Z)E, 3S-G(T)E, 5M-GE, 7M-G(T)E, 1/2JZ-G(T)E, etc), and they outright built the 2000GT (the whole car) in Yamaha factories before slapping on the Toyota badges.

There's a shocking amount of similarity between the 20v 4 banger in my Yamaha bike and a built 20V blacktop 4A-GE.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yamaha also did the Zetec-S engines in small Fords.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Yamaha also did the Zetec-S engines in small Fords.

And the V6 in the SHO.

Gotta love an engine that was rev limited due to the loving accessory drive, not the valvetrain or bottom end.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Whoa, really? How did that work?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MrSaturn posted:

Whoa, really? How did that work?

Exactly like it sounds, either the alternator or the waterpump couldn't safely spin at 8,000 RPM like the rest of the engine so they reduced the redline.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Was it the V6 or V8 that had the loving interference-fit cam gears (as in, nothing else holding them on but friction)?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That was the V8 that had the press-fit cam lobes that didn't like to stay put

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yamaha also built the V8 that Volvo put in the XC90 and S80.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yamaha co-designed pretty much all the G-head engines (4A-G(Z)E, 3S-G(T)E, 5M-GE, 7M-G(T)E, 1/2JZ-G(T)E, etc), and they outright built the 2000GT (the whole car) in Yamaha factories before slapping on the Toyota badges.

There's a shocking amount of similarity between the 20v 4 banger in my Yamaha bike and a built 20V blacktop 4A-GE.

Ahh, I didn't realize it was that extensive. I shouldn't be surprised. Car makers share a lot more than might be immediately evident, and sometimes it's some unexpected stuff. For some time, BMW used GM automatics.

Also, that Yamaha designed and built V6 in the SHO is one of the prettiest motors ever made. I love that intake manifold.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

If they do share platforms, will BMW let the Supra be as good or better than the M4? I remember BMW kept some options off the 335i because they didn't want it to compete with the M3 at the time. Whoever was involved in making that decisions probably won't be happy that a Toyota car on the same platform would be superior to the BMW in any way.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Are we talking about the first sho or the new sho? Assuming first.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Xguard86 posted:

Are we talking about the first sho or the new sho? Assuming first.

First SHO. The current one has the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost found in many other Ford vehicles.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PeterWeller posted:

Ahh, I didn't realize it was that extensive. I shouldn't be surprised. Car makers share a lot more than might be immediately evident, and sometimes it's some unexpected stuff. For some time, BMW used GM automatics.

Also, that Yamaha designed and built V6 in the SHO is one of the prettiest motors ever made. I love that intake manifold.

Volvo and Toyota used the same automatics on various cars, too.

Edit: and some Volvo 960s used an AW-30-41LE transmission, as did the LS400 and 1JZ-GTE-equipped Chaser/Mark II :getin:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 15, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are a limited number of T1 suppliers in the world, so pretty much everyone uses "the same" things as at least one other OEM.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

skipdogg posted:

First SHO. The current one has the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost found in many other Ford vehicles.

That's what I thought, so it was very confusing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are a limited number of T1 suppliers in the world, so pretty much everyone uses "the same" things as at least one other OEM.

Yeah, this is very noticeable in the case of transmissions. I think every hi-po American V8 uses the Tremec T6 for its manual option. Getrags are in everything these days. Aisins are in tons of Japanese sports cars.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Toyota owns 30% of Aisin. I misremembered and thought they owned the whole thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Quite sensibly, the next Genesis coupe may be a coupe version of the Genesis, and not an off-brand 240SX.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B1A2C6AD23BF735CCA257D080082F5D4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was just saying that there aren't enough $40,000 6 cylinder coupes on the market. The lexus RC, infiniti Q60, mercedes c350, BMW 435i, audi s5, and cadillac ats coupe all leave such a huge gap in what i'm sure is a massive segment of the industry.