Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Throatwarbler posted:

Quite sensibly, the next Genesis coupe may be a coupe version of the Genesis, and not an off-brand 240SX.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B1A2C6AD23BF735CCA257D080082F5D4

I made embarrassing moaning noises at this. Love that roofline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

I was just saying that there aren't enough $40,000 6 cylinder coupes on the market. The lexus RC, infiniti Q60, mercedes c350, BMW 435i, audi s5, and cadillac ats coupe all leave such a huge gap in what i'm sure is a massive segment of the industry.

"$40k coupes" actually is a reasonably big segment? All those cars do exist for a reason and I thought the current Genesis close to $40k anyway when you load it up with the V6. What Hyundai actually wants to do is a larger 6 series/E-class coupe competitor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That would make more sense as an equus coupe. A genesis coupe will never escape mustang comparisons.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

obviously the equus should be the one compared to the mustang

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

That would make more sense as an equus coupe. A genesis coupe will never escape mustang comparisons.

That's what they want to do though - a "Genesis Coupe", not a "small sports car that shares the same name as a full size sedan for some reason". I don't think it needs to be an Equus, no one other than Mercedes makes a coupe that big.

Speaking of which, here's the S65 coupe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/14/2015-s65-amg-coupe-is-186-miles-per-hour-of-pure-luxury/

Looks all right I suppose.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

The Genesis Coupe seems to be a pretty solid pony car, but it is a little bit heavier than the Mustang and less powerful, if you're comparing I4 to V6 and V6 to V8. It does seem to be significantly behind on fuel economy if anything, which is probably not a priority for most pony car buyers. I drive a stick V6 Mustang and have averaged lifetime 25mpg, and my brother in law drives an 8spd auto V6 Genesis Coupe, and has averaged 16.5 mpg. The Gencoupe is noticeably nicer inside though, and definitely has bigger rubber on it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

Well, it was obviously created to compete with the Mustang. It's the same size and matched the price and power of the Mustang exactly, in 2010 at least. Now, I think Hyundai has realized that the demographic buying these are looking for a cheap G coupe, not a foreign pony car. When you read GC forums, it's pretty clear that most of the owners see their car as a G/Z alternative, not a Mustang alternative.

While the car reviewers will constantly put it up against the Mustang, I doubt the people actually buying the car will consider it an option.

Throatwarbler posted:

"$40k coupes" actually is a reasonably big segment? All those cars do exist for a reason and I thought the current Genesis close to $40k anyway when you load it up with the V6. What Hyundai actually wants to do is a larger 6 series/E-class coupe competitor.

When I was shopping, the Hyundai dealership basically begged me to take a loaded V6 for 27,000. It was a nice car and the 8 speed is slick as poo poo. I'm surprised that they have such a hard time moving them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Too many people remember the Tiburon

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Exactly like it sounds, either the alternator or the waterpump couldn't safely spin at 8,000 RPM like the rest of the engine so they reduced the redline.

I believe the LT5 in the C4 ZR-1s also were limited by the accessory drive. Sounds like a good excuse for underdrive pulleys. :getin:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Powershift posted:

I was just saying that there aren't enough $40,000 6 cylinder coupes on the market. The lexus RC, infiniti Q60, mercedes c350, BMW 435i, audi s5, and cadillac ats coupe all leave such a huge gap in what i'm sure is a massive segment of the industry.

Well at least the interior in the Hyundai will hold up better than the Cadillac.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

oRenj9 posted:

Well, it was obviously created to compete with the Mustang. It's the same size and matched the price and power of the Mustang exactly, in 2010 at least. Now, I think Hyundai has realized that the demographic buying these are looking for a cheap G coupe, not a foreign pony car. When you read GC forums, it's pretty clear that most of the owners see their car as a G/Z alternative, not a Mustang alternative.

While the car reviewers will constantly put it up against the Mustang, I doubt the people actually buying the car will consider it an option.

When I was shopping, the Hyundai dealership basically begged me to take a loaded V6 for 27,000. It was a nice car and the 8 speed is slick as poo poo. I'm surprised that they have such a hard time moving them.
The 2015 Mustang will make a pretty solid G-Coupe/370Z fighter, as if the current gen wasn't (drat solid axle bias anyway).

donut
Feb 4, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Welp, yep, that jogged my memory. Not sure why i thought it was Hyundai.
Perhaps you were thinking of the Kia Elan?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Snowdens Secret posted:

Too many people remember the Tiburon

What even is the story of this piece of poo poo? It's one of the most god awful looking things I've ever seen

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bob NewSCART posted:

What even is the story of this piece of poo poo? It's one of the most god awful looking things I've ever seen

They were in a race to the bottom with the Mitsubishi Eclipse, and goddamnit, they were going to get to the bottom FIRST!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

sean10mm posted:

They were in a race to the bottom with the Mitsubishi Eclipse, and goddamnit, they were going to get to the bottom FIRST!

I actually didn't mind the last generation Tiburon, and the V6 sounded marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzColdobzDE

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

ilkhan posted:

The 2015 Mustang will make a pretty solid G-Coupe/370Z fighter, as if the current gen wasn't (drat solid axle bias anyway).

I always thought the Z was too expensive, too heavy and down on power compared to the mustang. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to stack up against the v6 better than the v8 but at the cost of the v8.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sadi posted:

I always thought the Z was too expensive, too heavy and down on power compared to the mustang. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to stack up against the v6 better than the v8 but at the cost of the v8.

I thought the Z has always been lighter than the Mustang?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

angryhampster posted:

I actually didn't mind the last generation Tiburon, and the V6 sounded marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzColdobzDE

I'd say the last gen tiburon was the turning point for Hyundai. It was their first properly decent car with ok fit and finish and a peppy engine. Plus a decent feeling 6 speed manual.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Coredump posted:

I thought the Z has always been lighter than the Mustang?
I think it is, but not by too much. It's got a bit more power (iirc around 330?) vs around 305 for the Mustang V6. I think the CG is lower too. That plus the IRS and no rear seat make a big difference in overall performance.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I almost bought a 2003 Tibby back in the day, but I didn't care for the drivetrain. They took the 2.7L V6 felt like a truck engine, and the 6 speed wasn't anything to write home about.

Supposed pricing on the Hellcat has been leaked... MSRP starting under 60K which is insanity.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
85 bucks a horse. How does that compare to other cars on the HP/cost scale?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

According to the list Jalopnik came up with, the Hellcat gives you the 8th best bang for your buck. It beats out the Mazdaspeed 3 ($82/hp), Versa ($110/hp), and C7 ($111/hp) on their top 10 list. The Ram Tradesman with the hemi is the king of cheap power at $57/hp.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 16, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Photos of the new Mazda2 are out and it's beautiful. I like it better than the 3. Sorry for the Jalopnik link: http://jalopnik.com/2015-mazda2-this-is-it-1605953651

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I almost bought a 2003 Tibby back in the day, but I didn't care for the drivetrain. They took the 2.7L V6 felt like a truck engine, and the 6 speed wasn't anything to write home about.

Supposed pricing on the Hellcat has been leaked... MSRP starting under 60K which is insanity.

I want to see 2015 Charger prices now; it's a tempting looking car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk posted:

Photos of the new Mazda2 are out and it's beautiful. I like it better than the 3. Sorry for the Jalopnik link: http://jalopnik.com/2015-mazda2-this-is-it-1605953651

I hope it comes to the states with the timbo diesel. 185ft-lbs of stump pulling action. :getin:

Gonna piggyback on this... I have some work I don't want to do, so I browsed over to mnet, this is a repost of what I just posted in the MEGAMAN THREAD:

Mark Booth has been dropping some truth bombs on Miata.net in regards to the ND. The dude is obviously a Mazda Community Outreach/Crowd Control guy.
Latest stuff:
160-165 HP
155-158 Ft-lbs
~2350 lbs

The 2015 Mazda2 has been semi-revealed and he also said that the focus groups for the ND were shown extremely similar interior designs.

The weight is a bit depressing; however, same power as the NC, +15 ft-lbs, and a 200 lb diet isn't going to be something I'll cry myself to sleep about. There will definitely before area under the curve, too.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
poo poo. If I can really buy a Hellcat for 60K that might knock the C7 off of the list. The C7 is a better car, for sure, but, well....

GROWL

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think for your 60k and a set of drag slicks you can have a 10 second car. (10.9)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

eyebeem posted:

poo poo. If I can really buy a Hellcat for 60K that might knock the C7 off of the list. The C7 is a better car, for sure, but, well....

GROWL
C7 is so much more of a car than the hellcat...$60k on a C7 gets you Z51 and the competition seats, which is all the go fast bits you really need.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 16, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

eyebeem posted:

poo poo. If I can really buy a Hellcat for 60K

Good luck with that. I'm imagining $10k markups minimum.

I'd be interested, but it's not the kind of car I'm looking for. I'd definitely take a C7 or even a Z28 over it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I can throw my kids in the backseat of the Hellcat, too. You can't do that with a C7.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

Good luck with that. I'm imagining $10k markups minimum.

I'd be interested, but it's not the kind of car I'm looking for. I'd definitely take a C7 or even a Z28 over it.

I remember the first year of the C6 I was living in a small town, happened to look online and saw there was one on the lot at my local dealer walked into their showroom just to take a look at one in person out of curiosity, there was a huge sticker on the windshield that said something along the lines of "MSRP $XX,XXX + $25,000 markup due to rarity, YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER IN THE STATE!!!!!!!"

I just can't imagine how that works as a marketing technique, especially in a small town. "Spend twice what you did on your house on this Chevrolet!!!!"

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I can throw my kids in the backseat of the Hellcat, too. You can't do that with a C7.

That's what the hatch is for duh

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eyebeem posted:

Might this be the first car that can run a 10.9 with a baby seat?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

eyebeem posted:

I still remember the episode where Al Bundy had a chance of getting a Dodge Viper when his clapped out Dodge hit 1 million miles. When Peg asked him where the kids would go, and the response was "screw 'em"

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

I remember the first year of the C6 I was living in a small town, happened to look online and saw there was one on the lot at my local dealer walked into their showroom just to take a look at one in person out of curiosity, there was a huge sticker on the windshield that said something along the lines of "MSRP $XX,XXX + $25,000 markup due to rarity, YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER IN THE STATE!!!!!!!"

I just can't imagine how that works as a marketing technique, especially in a small town. "Spend twice what you did on your house on this Chevrolet!!!!"

I stopped by my local Subaru dealer today and they wanted 5k due to rarity beyondMRSP sticker with all their lovely additions etc for a STI.

blk fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 17, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Who missed the bulbous blobby 90s?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Listen, it's better than the old Fortwo, and the PT Cruiser, and the Aztek.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Powershift posted:

Who missed the bulbous blobby 90s?

It is not awful like the the current one. I was reading that is shares a platform with the Renault Twingo, so that's cool? Other than that in white it looks like a washing machine.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fayez Butts posted:

Listen, it's better than the old Fortwo, and the PT Cruiser, and the Aztek.

Nope, nope, and nope. Worse than all three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BabyMauler posted:

It is not awful like the the current one. I was reading that is shares a platform with the Renault Twingo, so that's cool? Other than that in white it looks like a washing machine.

For a car that, I suspect, will mostly be used laundromat-style (i.e. Car 2 Go, where you pay by the minute to drive a Fortwo around town), that's pretty apt. It's already so appliance-like the Prius looks like a Corvette in comparison.