Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Regarding Frank's durability: he's a noir protagonist and action hero. Being able to take shitloads of punishment and keep trucking is kind of a thing for both of those archetypes.

He's also human and has no superpowers, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Regarding Frank's durability: he's a noir protagonist and action hero. Being able to take shitloads of punishment and keep trucking is kind of a thing for both of those archetypes.

Yeah we all get that but he took it to super human Wolverine levels in this series and it took me out of the story on occasion and gradually lowered the stakes. First of all, due to suspension of disbelief in a fairly grounded show and second because it detracted from him being threatened or being in any real danger.

They could have/should have done a "coma" episode or something and let all the other characters do their thing(s) while Frank recovered from literally being on death's doorstep. He wasn't even treated in a real hospital. It was Magani's dad piecing poo poo together in his condo and Frank is up and at em in like one day.

I think doing it that way would not only have lent some realism to Castle's trauma but would have made an interesting dynamic where Frank had to learn about and deal with whatever all the other characters did while he was out of commission, for good or for ill.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
an episode of sleeping Frank sounds boring as gently caress

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

He's also human and has no superpowers, so...

Batman is "human" and "has no superpowers." Except he is an infinitely wealthy trust fund kiddie, and is a genius ninja who depending on the writer also has "over-preparedness bordering on paranoia" as a power.

Frank Castle mostly has Call of Duty health regeneration.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Castle has shrugged off a lot of stuff thanks to experience and all that adrenaline. Normally he'd take weeks or months to recover, but it's his one man crusade against crime that keeps him going.

The thing is, we know he's human, and i'm not talking about powers or anything. Every Hero that has ever dealt with him thinks he's a complete psycho because he crosses that line and kills people without any remorse. The viewer and the narration in the comics show he's actually sane, because he carries out all these horrific operations against criminals with such ruthless efficiency, and he never kills any civilians (unless like i said before, he somehow does or gets tricked into it because the writer had the idea).

Luke Cage can shrug it all off and punch anyone shooting at him with superpowers. Frank Castle has Kevlar, using the environment to his advantage, his reflexes, and a lot of yelling. Loved it when he used that bodyguard as a shield to get the hell out of that hallway.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JawKnee posted:

an episode of sleeping Frank sounds boring as gently caress

You think? I'd have rather have had that and then put all those dance hall dream sequences in an episode like that and let Micro, Midani, Jigsaw, Lewis, Page and Curtis, etc. do their things instead of the constant flashbacks in Episode 11 I think it was.

Maybe we have different ideas on what constitutes boring. There could still be plenty of violence and action. For instance, some of Lewis' stuff and the NSA shootout could easily have been done while Frank was laid up. Throw in a flashback or a dream sequence if all you want to see is Frank wrecking folks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Batman is "human" and "has no superpowers."

Batman wears advanced, custom-designed full body armor, including helmet and mask, all the time. You never see him get shot and stabbed repeatedly like you just saw Frank for thirteen episodes in a row. And, at least in the movies, Batman is shown struggling with recovering from his injuries, and is repeatedly reminded by Alfred that he is mortal. Frank though just shakes every injury off in what seems like a few days/weeks, as if nothing happened. Sure he has bruises, but apparently isn't hampered by them in the slightest.

I mean look, these types of things are trivially easy to address. A single scene where he gets punched in the groin by a random goon, gets a stitch reopened and starts losing lots of blood would have been sufficient to give the audience the perception that he isn't invulnerable. Instead we can't help but feel he has superhuman healing powers and an adamantium-infused skeleton. That's just bad, lazy writing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:siren: lazy writing :siren:

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Wolverine kills people all the time and no one judges him for it. I guess if I was a fellow superhero I'd want to pick a fight with some guy with a gun instead of an invulnerable mutant.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the stor ybehind netflix marvel. where did it come from

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Not looking at spoilers but I watched the daredevil series, the bullet proof man series. Should I watch the Punisher or should I watch Defenders first?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BiggerBoat posted:

You think? I'd have rather have had that and then put all those dance hall dream sequences in an episode like that and let Micro, Midani, Jigsaw, Lewis, Page and Curtis, etc. do their things instead of the constant flashbacks in Episode 11 I think it was.

Maybe we have different ideas on what constitutes boring. There could still be plenty of violence and action. For instance, some of Lewis' stuff and the NSA shootout could easily have been done while Frank was laid up. Throw in a flashback or a dream sequence if all you want to see is Frank wrecking folks.

Not jumping on you dude because taste is obviously subjective but this sounds like taking all the most humanizing windows into Frank and replacing them with him sleeping in a bed.

The sequences with his Wife are all very important because the underlying subtext of the whole show is Frank's life was not perfect and he was in fact struggling with everything that Lewis and the VA were all dealing with. The final conversation with his wife was saved for the very last episode because its easy to forget and make it out like Frank lost his perfect life, when in reality he was an absentee father and emotionally unavailable to his wife due to extreme PTSD

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A Major Fucker posted:

what's the stor ybehind netflix marvel. where did it come from

it came from money

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Frank being inhumanly durable is far less annoying than Luke being as strong as the narrative required in any given scene for the entirety of Defenders.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I re-watched DDs2 and the second half is not as bad as I remember, even the hand stuff wasn't too painful, certainly orders of magnitudes better than they were in IF and Defenders.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That bit in Madanis parents apartment where they dart his hemopneumothorax was surprisingly realistic, speaking of damage he takes.

Probably needed a chest tube after though

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I re-watched DDs2 and the second half is not as bad as I remember, even the hand stuff wasn't too painful, certainly orders of magnitudes better than they were in IF and Defenders.

Well, everything is going to look better in the retrospective light of IF and Defenders. The far left side of the Bell Curve of Quality was a lot farther away than anyone suspected.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Batman wears advanced, custom-designed full body armor, including helmet and mask, all the time. You never see him get shot and stabbed repeatedly like you just saw Frank for thirteen episodes in a row. And, at least in the movies, Batman is shown struggling with recovering from his injuries, and is repeatedly reminded by Alfred that he is mortal. Frank though just shakes every injury off in what seems like a few days/weeks, as if nothing happened. Sure he has bruises, but apparently isn't hampered by them in the slightest.

I mean look, these types of things are trivially easy to address. A single scene where he gets punched in the groin by a random goon, gets a stitch reopened and starts losing lots of blood would have been sufficient to give the audience the perception that he isn't invulnerable. Instead we can't help but feel he has superhuman healing powers and an adamantium-infused skeleton. That's just bad, lazy writing.

If you have armor that magically blocks anything but never get hit anyway, that's a superpower, hth

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, everything is going to look better in the retrospective light of IF and Defenders. The far left side of the Bell Curve of Quality was a lot farther away than anyone suspected.

Honestly I just remember being more bored than anything, also it had been a really long time since I had watched season 1 so I kept not knowing who people were, but you're right about that, see guys, IF and Defenders did something good!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I'm at ep6 now and this made me, a grown man with a happy family and a great professional career, cry.

I want, and saying this as a very straight dude with two sons, to give all the military guys a hug and tell them it'll be ok.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I loved it. I was a big fan.

I loved JJ a bit more, but that's more personal preference than anything else.

Story wise I was super surprised and happy this is the route they took.

I'm also laughing because the big bad in this was a military contractor, and it seems like only a month ago, Marvel was teaming up with military contractors to do recruitment comics/advertising.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Not jumping on you dude because taste is obviously subjective but this sounds like taking all the most humanizing windows into Frank and replacing them with him sleeping in a bed.

The sequences with his Wife are all very important because the underlying subtext of the whole show is Frank's life was not perfect and he was in fact struggling with everything that Lewis and the VA were all dealing with. The final conversation with his wife was saved for the very last episode because its easy to forget and make it out like Frank lost his perfect life, when in reality he was an absentee father and emotionally unavailable to his wife due to extreme PTSD

No problem. I didn't mind the flashback scenes to the family, I just thought there were too many of them. Using them while Frank is recovering makes perfect sense to me. You could throw in some violent power fantasy dreams or war flashbacks to keep the pace up.

I mean, if I remember right, DD spent the entirety of one episode chained to a chimney and talking to Frank. Seemed to work.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Having extended sequences of Frank healing from his injuries would potentially kill the pacing and be uninteresting. Sure, its a plothole that he can just ignore them and recover in hours but thats less important to the narrative than those things imo.

As it was, the series flowed very well from action scenes onwards.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
We need someone to make a timeline to see how long he spent recovering after injuries.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Having extended sequences of Frank healing from his injuries would potentially kill the pacing and be uninteresting. Sure, its a plothole that he can just ignore them and recover in hours but thats less important to the narrative than those things imo.

As it was, the series flowed very well from action scenes onwards.

I mean everybody's favorite part of Luke Cage is when he has the special high-tech bullet lodged in him, right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, if you think Frank's recovery time in here is bad you should see him in the comics!

He loving no-sells a Penance Stare like he's John goddamn Cena because he doesn't regret killing anyone. The entire point of it is that it burns your soul because of your sins, not because of any guilt! Even if that were how it worked, it should've dammed him to hell via regret of not being able to save his family!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL Ghost Rider is so dorky but is canonically at Galactus levels of power and they are wise for keeping him somewhat out of the spotlight. They have to do the Dr. Strange thing where the MCU version are fledgling newbs because if you had ACTUAL Dr. Strange or Ghostrider than every fight would last 3 seconds

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

If you have armor that magically blocks anything but never get hit anyway, that's a superpower, hth

It doesn't "magically block anything". Morgan Freeman's character explicitly describes the armor as good against bullets, not so good against sharp objects.

hth

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL Ghost Rider is so dorky but is canonically at Galactus levels of power and they are wise for keeping him somewhat out of the spotlight. They have to do the Dr. Strange thing where the MCU version are fledgling newbs because if you had ACTUAL Dr. Strange or Ghostrider than every fight would last 3 seconds

MCU Strange is already a time-god. I don't really see where he could go from there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also think “Limitless Resources” is a superpower. Recently we’ve had some cool moments with Tony Stark doing cool stuff without his suit but seriously if you think infinite money and a crime lab and a lifetime of training isn’t a superpower compared to the entire human race fighting to survive for their next meal...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Batman would've been dead the first time he tried swinging from a rooftop

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MiddleOne posted:

MCU Strange is already a time-god. I don't really see where he could go from there.

Yeah, he throws around Thor and Loki like toys in his little cameo in Thor: Ragnarok. I am potentially excited for where his powers can go in a new Doctor Strange flick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, he throws around Thor and Loki like toys in his little cameo in Thor: Ragnarok. I am potentially excited for where his powers can go in a new Doctor Strange flick.

Weaving him in with Thor and all that stuff sounds like a good plan, given the "magic is science" explanation Marvel has established. The MCU works best when it's mainly divided along power levels. DC and the comics too I've always felt. The Netflix shows get worse the more mystical they get. Hawkeye and Widow are notorious for clumsily being given things to do in Avengers and keep them out of danger.

I liked Dr. Strange but I'll be gently caress all if I can figure out where to go with him moving forward, especially trying to cross him over and mesh him into existing things. Maybe bring in Wanda or (carefully) some of that Hand/resurrection poo poo from DD and Defenders but no one is exactly clamoring for more Magic Ninjas so I don't know.

Doctor Strange doesn't even have a rogues gallery that I'm aware of (does he?) and he also has that Superman problem of being impossible to challenge or threaten. Having him gently caress around with Asgardians or the Guardians and whatever they do seems like as good a plan as any since their "magic" would be mostly foreign to him and the GoTG are from space so you can just invent something Steven's never encountered before.

Maybe his powers work differently or backfire on other planets and poo poo since they have their own magic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Doctor Strange doesn't even have a rogues gallery that I'm aware of (does he?) and he also has that Superman problem of being impossible to challenge or threaten. Having him gently caress around with Asgardians or the Guardians and whatever they do seems like as good a plan as any since their "magic" would be mostly foreign to him and the GoTG are from space so you can just invent something Steven's never encountered before.

Oh, Strange does have a rogues gallery of his own and they tend to be very, very nasty - well above the weight class of most heroes. The villain in Doctor Strange 2 is slated to be Nightmare according to Marvel, a primeval spirit of fear that can enter the mind when you're dreaming. And even if you thrash him in the material world, in the realm of dreams Nightmare is nigh-godlike.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Weird, with that end credit stinger I figured the bad guy for 2 would be mordo

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Doc Strange isn't Sorcerer Supreme yet in the MCU is he? It would be interesting to see what he has to do in order to earn that title especially if they hit the accelerator on the trippy visuals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

Doc Strange isn't Sorcerer Supreme yet in the MCU is he? It would be interesting to see what he has to do in order to earn that title especially if they hit the accelerator on the trippy visuals.

Not officially, but the job is vacant and he's clearly the closest thing they've got so he's more or less got the job whether he likes it or not.

site posted:

Weird, with that end credit stinger I figured the bad guy for 2 would be mordo

Nope, according to the same leak that says Nightmare is the planned villain, Mordo will reluctantly team up with Strange again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hope they bring in The Mindless Ones.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Why is Russo British in the last episode?

Like, I know the actor is British but he suddenly forgets he's not meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I also think “Limitless Resources” is a superpower. Recently we’ve had some cool moments with Tony Stark doing cool stuff without his suit but seriously if you think infinite money and a crime lab and a lifetime of training isn’t a superpower compared to the entire human race fighting to survive for their next meal...

Batman's true superpower is his will. Once he's settled on a course of action, literally nothing will stop him. He doesn't second guess himself, you can't talk him down, and he will never ever quit.