Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Take your time--as much as we've been enjoying the LP, real life always takes precedence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Take your time--as much as we've been enjoying the LP, real life always takes precedence.

Agreed. Appreciate the update, but take whatever time you need to deal with what you've gotta deal with. We'll be waiting when you get back, 'cause this is a drat good LP of a drat good game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
No problem, just do what you can when you can. We're all happy to continue getting free entertainment regardless of the schedule.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
Sweet. Nice to know it isn't abandoned.
Take your time dude. Hope you fix stuff up soon.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Quick, someone get Elizabeth to open a tear into a world where the videos have already been posted! :science:
Unfortunate side effect, we are all dead.:ssh:

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Quick, someone get Elizabeth to open a tear into a world where the videos have already been posted! :science:
Unfortunate side effect, we are all dead.:ssh:
Your nose is bleeding again!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If Momstock was some kind of mega psychic, that does explain what Comstock was able to forgive her for. Like, going out of control and destroying a town with their own graveyard or something.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
Does this mean when you play with the tear machines right before meeting Elizabeth, they were zapping her too?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vnat posted:

Does this mean when you play with the tear machines right before meeting Elizabeth, they were zapping her too?

I think the entire statue-structure had been slowly draining her power over quite a long time (according to the graph we saw there) to keep her manageable, so when you did that you were just using some of that stored up juice.

In the Lady Comstock case, this was a rather more abrupt drain.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013

Podima posted:

I think the entire statue-structure had been slowly draining her power over quite a long time (according to the graph we saw there) to keep her manageable, so when you did that you were just using some of that stored up juice.

In the Lady Comstock case, this was a rather more abrupt drain.

Ah. That seems slightly less cruel.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Hey it's an update!

Thank you all for being patient/understanding. Things still aren't necessarily sorted out in my life but I think I should be able to wrangle together updates more frequently now. No promises because I'd just feel like a dick if I promised. :v:

(Also I seem to have inadvertently fixed that irritating problem of false-positive save error pop-ups which would almost instantly boil my blood when trying to record)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I see that Booker is still slamming that elevator button with his wounded hand. I still cringe every time :v:

Good to have you back Sundowner.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
ah, so THAT'S the deal with the Luteces. They're unstuck in time-space because Comstock sabotaged their machine (because he's a dick). Also, they pulled Elizabeth out of a tear when she was a baby, I guess? And Lady Comstock was bananas crazy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm sorry, did you just call Blood to Salt "not that useful"?!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Fedule posted:

I'm sorry, did you just call Blood to Salt "not that useful"?!

You're right, I thought it was something else at the time. I didn't realize it was what it was when I was recording. I'm good at being oblivious to things staring me in the face sometimes. I might switch to it next update, actually.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I bookmarked this thread when it started but forgot about it until a couple weeks ago and marathoned through it. I've enjoyed the discussion and I'm glad to see it's back. I'm curious to see what people will come away with from this game, as my opinion has shifted since I first picked it up. I can't wait to read people's reactions and thoughts as the LP goes forward. In any case, well done Sundowner.

Also, if anyone hasn't heard, Irrational is closing its doors and Ken Levine and a small team are going to be working on some new and different things, which is exciting.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
When I saw the "Lutece Laboratory" I expected some answers rather than further questions, but it's a nice bit of symbolism that the tip of the machine which Lutece claims birthed Elizabeth without carnality penetrates into the bedroom.

Also, I appreciate how Elizabeth coughs when near fires. Neat touch.

And thanks for showing off what happens when falling off Colombia, Sundowner. I had wondered about that on several occasions.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Sundowner posted:

You're right, I thought it was something else at the time. I didn't realize it was what it was when I was recording. I'm good at being oblivious to things staring me in the face sometimes. I might switch to it next update, actually.

To be honest, in my latest playthrough I had the same situation - I was wearing the clothing that increased the ammo your gun could fire before reloading but came across the Blood for Salt clothing. I had already brought the upgrades for the powers I found useful that reduced the cost of the salt, and I found the extra ammo to fight Handymen more useful than the increased likelyhood of finding salts.

Maybe it would be more helpful on Hard or 1999 Mode?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Part the Eighteenth:

1. Something occurred to me as I saw the stormy weather that Columbia seems to be moving into (subtle). If the city flies, then it has to have some sort of central control facility directing it, no? And with the revolution that Booker has helped to unleash, it's entirely possible that facility is not being manned properly anymore, which would degrade the city's ability to avoid storms and other weather systems. Thus Columbia is both literally and figuratively entering stormier skies.

2. So if Comstock was sterile, and Elizabeth not their daughter, then whose daughter was she? My money of course is on Booker, given previous allusions, but Lutece indicates she was... summoned perhaps by her machine? From where? Another reality I suppose, but that hardly tells us much.

3. I'm near to certain that the photograph on Lutece's desk marked "The Office" is Booker's office. She was the one who brought him here in the first place, after all, and we've never yet established why she did so. Of course that version of Lutece was from another dimension so...

4. If something went catastrophically wrong with Lutece's equipment involving wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey dimensional insanity, it would go a long way as to explaining their oddities. And presumably the male Lutece was the one who wanted to bring Booker into the matter. Though what the "business with the girl" was that he felt was unresolved is not yet clear to me.

5. Where DID the Vox get so much red cloth? The Communist International didn't have this much bunting.

6. I noticed that you can have Elizabeth summon a water puddle. What's the purpose of that? An electrocution target?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
So Elizabeth is a wee babby kidnapped from a tear, grown up in the wrong reality? And Comstock somehow... untethered both Luteces from reality/time/space? Is that why they can appear anywhere and anywhen? Is that why their graves were empty - they were missing, presumed dead?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

GenHavoc posted:

I noticed that you can have Elizabeth summon a water puddle. What's the purpose of that? An electrocution target?

Pretty much, yes. A little call-back to the previous games, I guess!

Edit: v v You could be right. I hadn't played the game in some time so I had assumed I got to 10.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 1, 2014

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Sundowner, I believe you may be able to take another shield and another salts infusion. The number shown during their menu isn't what you have but what you get when you choose it. Worth trying next time you come upon one, a little more shields are always useful.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

GenHavoc posted:

Part the Eighteenth:
[*]So if Comstock was sterile, and Elizabeth not their daughter, then whose daughter was she? My money of course is on Booker, given previous allusions, but Lutece indicates she was... summoned perhaps by her machine? From where? Another reality I suppose, but that hardly tells us much.

Remember when Lutece, a bunch of Voxaphones back, called Elizabeth a "child of science?" Perhaps that was meant literally, and she came of this device. Which, as ynohtna points out, penetrates into the bedroom (which I can't help but notice only has one bed... Um, ew.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

resurgam40 posted:

Remember when Lutece, a bunch of Voxaphones back, called Elizabeth a "child of science?" Perhaps that was meant literally, and she came of this device. Which, as ynohtna points out, penetrates into the bedroom (which I can't help but notice only has one bed... Um, ew.)

There are doors leading to other parts of the house which are blocked with grates and inaccessible.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

resurgam40 posted:

It's not incest if it's your quantum twin. I think.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Quantum incest both is -- and is not -- incest, simultaneously, until the judgement potentiality is collapsed by the opinions of the observer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Genetically I can't imagine that a child produced from the union of your gender-swapped alternate self from a different timeline would result in a viable human being.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Arguably, it'd be masturbation. Literally having sex with oneself.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ynohtna posted:

When I saw the "Lutece Laboratory" I expected some answers rather than further questions, but it's a nice bit of symbolism that the tip of the machine which Lutece claims birthed Elizabeth without carnality penetrates into the bedroom.

Also, I appreciate how Elizabeth coughs when near fires. Neat touch.

And thanks for showing off what happens when falling off Colombia, Sundowner. I had wondered about that on several occasions.

there were some important answers given in the Voxophones.
1. Elizabeth is NOT Comstock's child
2. She was pulled from a tear by Lutece.
3. Comstock tried to kill the Luteces.
4. Instead, they became unstuck in the time-space continuum, explaining their sporadic appearances throughout the game in different places.
5. Due to their condition, whatever goal they were trying to achieve, possibly some sort of larger experiment, must instead be given to Booker, who for whatever reason is the only one who can do it. They are definitely the ones who blackmailed Booker into going to Columbia to retrieve Elizabeth.
What we still don't know about the Luteces is mostly their motives in any of this. What are they trying to achieve?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spatula City posted:

What we still don't know about the Luteces is mostly their motives in any of this. What are they trying to achieve?

Imma hazard a guess that they're trying to fix things; I've been getting the impression that they're not at all chill with how Comstock has been using their technologies and this whole thing with Booker and Elizabeth smells a lot like their attempt to throw a wrench in Comstock's plans for the ultimate purpose of bringing down all of his putrid accomplishments, starting of course with the most prominant symbol of his cult and his most powerful tool; Elizabeth.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Neruz posted:

Genetically I can't imagine that a child produced from the union of your gender-swapped alternate self from a different timeline would result in a viable human being.
Given their quantum nature, it wouldn't surprise me if they could tweak probability so that they gave birth to a set of twins with identical DNA makeup to themselves. Or actually themselves.

I am right in thinking that if they are genetically identical other than the X and Y chromosome, that each chromosome pair has a 50% chance for being the same as the parents?
Like Chromosome 1 having 1A and 1B. Mother 1Ax 1Bx and Father 1Ay 1By give you 1Ax 1Ay, 1Ax 1By, 1Bx 1Ay, 1Bx 1By
1Ax 1Ay and 1Bx 1By are likely not viable (or completely messed up)
1Ax 1By, 1Bx 1Ay are effectively the same
(And yes, the chances of all 23 pairs working out this way is like .00000011920928955 for each child)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I would expect that if you had two beings genetically identical except for the X\Y chromosone attemtping to generate offspring from them would result in horrific mutations and failures from inbreeding; getting two copies of the same DNA does not a healthy human being make, usually at least. You might occasionally just get a straight up clone.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
They've been exposed to this stuff a lot more than Comstock, given they invented it. So the chances of them producing a child are likely nil.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Roctavian posted:

until the judgement potentiality is collapsed by the opinions of the observer.

That is the weirdest euphemism for busting a nut I have ever read.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AJ_Impy posted:

Arguably, it'd be masturbation. Literally having sex with oneself.

I think 4chan could tell us definitively.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Spatula City posted:

5. Due to their condition, whatever goal they were trying to achieve, possibly some sort of larger experiment, must instead be given to Booker, who for whatever reason is the only one who can do it. They are definitely the ones who blackmailed Booker into going to Columbia to retrieve Elizabeth.

Remember the signboard Robert was wearing at the start of the game, when they made Booker to do the coin toss? Methinks the Luteces aren't just assigning Booker to fix their mess, but probably all of the Bookers in all of space and time. Simultaneously.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

GenHavoc posted:

So if Comstock was sterile, and Elizabeth not their daughter, then whose daughter was she? My money of course is on Booker, given previous allusions, but Lutece indicates she was... summoned perhaps by her machine? From where? Another reality I suppose, but that hardly tells us much.

Obviously she is from a reality where she is the daughter of Booker and Comstock. :pseudo:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sundowner, are you using Winter Shield? I found that gear to be terribly overpowered, yet quite fun at the same time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Remember the signboard Robert was wearing at the start of the game, when they made Booker to do the coin toss? Methinks the Luteces aren't just assigning Booker to fix their mess, but probably all of the Bookers in all of space and time. Simultaneously.

That would make sense, given their unique position the best way to ensure that at least one Booker succeeds would be to send all Bookers. Presumably they only need Booker to succeed once for whatever it is they're planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Neruz posted:

That would make sense, given their unique position the best way to ensure that at least one Booker succeeds would be to send all Bookers. Presumably they only need Booker to succeed once for whatever it is they're planning.

That seems like a really inefficient use of their time...

• Locked thread