Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

white centaurs led by another centaurs could do it. because Pangaea needs more in their toolbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Would a "deep strike" be stopped by any of the intervening provinces having PD or present hostile units? I imagine it would. So the pro strat of "1 point of PD" would completely nix it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PurpleXVI posted:

Would a "deep strike" be stopped by any of the intervening provinces having PD or present hostile units? I imagine it would. So the pro strat of "1 point of PD" would completely nix it.

It isn't.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

wind walker centaur can pretty much go around taking province at will and can just walk right through 500 patrol strength without stopping as long as they don't end their turn there.

I did it as helheim in a game to make people mad once it was p good though the fact that you get no income from unconnected provinces makes it useless for you beyond the obvious pain and suffering inflicted on your victims

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:whitewater:

e: try and guess who won; earth elemental vs ironskin'd, temper flesh'd, body ethereal'd Mind Lord

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

:whitewater:

e: try and guess who won; earth elemental vs ironskin'd, temper flesh'd, body ethereal'd Mind Lord

I'm guessing the EE due to time out rout.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably. he did win, but idk if he actually did enough damage to the fishslug to kill it, i wasn't gonna watch the million-turn slapfight

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

LordSloth posted:

Big IF, if I understand correctly. (I've already had to revise this twice as my sleep-deprived brain failed to notice the Dom Inspector didn't show the right map move, and my brain failed basic arithmetic, twice).

1. MA Vans may be the only landbound MA recruit capable of doing a deepstrike thanks to their 24 map move and reduced cost via stealth. The incorrect numbers I got from the Dom5 mod inspector means I'm too lazy to figure out what else might.
  2. To deep strike, stealthy cavalry starting in friendly territory only require 21 map move and ideal terrain. I can't think of anything other than a van that qualifies.

Helhirdings, Which are one of Helheim's (Death Vanheim, exists in EA only) sacreds, and also Mounted Hirdman, which are Vans but not sacred, which EA Vanheim and Helheim can recruit anywhere. Basically, any elf on a fey horse, Tir na n'Og has some commanders like this but no troops.

Alex0080 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 26, 2019

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a consensus on Helhirdlings vs Valkyries as the "better" sacred for EA Helheim?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'd probably use Helhirdlings for expansion because they have better stats and will have less attrition, but flying is likely to be more useful versus other players.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ahahaha, what the hell. As Pan, just had a random event happen in a province - not even one in/adjacent to my dominion or provinces - that attacked it with a bunch of Maenads led by a couple dryads. Killed the PD that was there and put it under my control.

If this was an actual MP game, that wouldn't count as an NAP break, right? Hell, do any other nations even have events like that?

edit: Next turn the same province genned a similar event, swapping Dom control and genning a bunch more maenads and dryads. That's 880g worth of free mages in two turns - sure, I need to actually get them back to my own territory, but still.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 28, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah lots of nations get stuff like that, theres ones for lizard uprisings in swamps with the right base pop if ctis is in the game, or for vanheim to just randomly get a big attack on a coastal province.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

edit: Next turn the same province genned a similar event, swapping Dom control and genning a bunch more maenads and dryads. That's 880g worth of free mages in two turns - sure, I need to actually get them back to my own territory, but still.

Dryads can sneak. Maenads are maenads so who cares if you just abandon them there.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lord Koth posted:

Ahahaha, what the hell. As Pan...

If this was an actual MP game, that wouldn't count as an NAP break, right? Hell, do any other nations even have events like that?

As Pan you should have already had hellwar declared upon you by every neighbor, or you should use that event as an opportunity to launch your sneak attacks that are already in the rest of that guys provs already

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So reading the newbie let's play ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22 ) convinced me to finally pick this up. I have really no idea what I'm doing, and have been splattering games against the AI trying to figure out how to at least not stab myself in the face quite so quickly.

What are some benchmarks for being able to have your god truck around attacking neutrals alone? Definitely had less than stellar luck with that.

Current team cold hugs is doing ok, with what I'm sure is a terrible setup. Frost giants, and I gave my guy 10 water so they can get in fast and start with the cold hugs. And uh, some +undead command so I can bring their friends back for more hugs. And set my realm to frost3 and undead3 because it matches I guess?

Not sure if its just giants being good early game, but smearing a lot less against random opponents at least.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neifelheim should have 3 cold by default i think

iirc the really good early expander gods are basically the bulls, some dragons, the boar, earth mother, bloody mother, uhhhhhhhh if you use jbre's balance mod you can use goku

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

ZypherIM posted:

So reading the newbie let's play ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22 ) convinced me to finally pick this up. I have really no idea what I'm doing, and have been splattering games against the AI trying to figure out how to at least not stab myself in the face quite so quickly.

What are some benchmarks for being able to have your god truck around attacking neutrals alone? Definitely had less than stellar luck with that.

Current team cold hugs is doing ok, with what I'm sure is a terrible setup. Frost giants, and I gave my guy 10 water so they can get in fast and start with the cold hugs. And uh, some +undead command so I can bring their friends back for more hugs. And set my realm to frost3 and undead3 because it matches I guess?

Not sure if its just giants being good early game, but smearing a lot less against random opponents at least.

Get on to the discord. https://discord.gg/5EyAzT

I'll let someone who plays more with Frost Giants than me give you specific advice. As for "God Trucking Neutrals" you want your god to have regeneration, a lot of HP, and probably some other stuff like Trample, Reinvigoration, and some sort of affliction healing. Then point him at not-barbarians and let him get to work. There's somewhat specific god chassis that work with this, like Thrice-Horned Boars, Serpents, Drakkons, and Great White Bulls. Basically you want a giant monster that's probably only good at one or two types of magic, and take a very specific bless.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Except for certain nation specific stuff, growth is the most important scale, and the last one you sacrifice.

For playing against the AI, if you want a heavy bless for your giants and also an expander god, the monster wolf chasis that goes berserk can do just fine with N7W5 for regen and stacking even more freezing aura on your giant dudes. You can get growth 3 for money and dominion 7 to help spread your cold around better, at the cost of taking misfortune 2 and sloth 3. Get enchantment 2 to get the spells your pretender needs to double down on the bless bonuses. Only use your pretender within your dominion, to avoid having it go splat.

The giant nations are actually somewhat difficult to play right because everything is expensive as hell. My suggestion for learning how to play Dominions is playing middle age Ulm. Straightforward, clearly defined strengths and weaknesses, limited magic paths that make it easier to figure out research goals, and no sacreds to waste points on blessing before you know what you need a bless for in the first place. Take production 3, drain 3, maybe growth 3, then do whatever, you can't really go wrong.

my dad fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 30, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Decrepus posted:

As Pan you should have already had hellwar declared upon you by every neighbor, or you should use that event as an opportunity to launch your sneak attacks that are already in the rest of that guys provs already

It was an AI game because I was just testing some stuff, so diplomacy was wholly irrelevant. I just rarely play a Pan, so hadn't seen an event like that before. And in this particular case it wouldn't have mattered if it was an actual MP game, because the event spawned on the opposite side of a large lake, like 6 provinces away from my closest territory (that didn't involve going through the water).

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Dryads can sneak. Maenads are maenads so who cares if you just abandon them there.

I'm aware? I was referring to the sneaking transit time, which was considerable. Doesn't take away from being a massive windfall, but it still takes a a lot of time to get them somewhere useful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, AI

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Jesus. Looked through that horde and saw less than 30 helmets.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

oh lord i love a good ros.jpg

In my first newbie game ever I ros'd my mortal enemy into rage-AI. That felt good.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I have absolutely no idea what the hell I am doing in this game. Apparently my army disappeared after taking a province?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

post the end battle report

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

post the end battle report

I figured out what happened: I'm soft-brained and didn't realize that you right click to look at provinces. You could say I'm something of a master at this game :smug:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Did your only commander there die, too?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

haunted bong posted:

I figured out what happened: I'm soft-brained and didn't realize that you right click to look at provinces. You could say I'm something of a master at this game :smug:

To be fair in most games left click is selection right click is action but ~dominions~

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hey, that convention's had time to flip back and forth in the 100 years since the Dominions UI was designed!

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Did your only commander there die, too?

oh yeah, he was slaughtered

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Would anyone happen to know if there's link to a full list of changes and new content from Dominions 4 to Dominions 5 somewhere, maybe? Didn't see anything in the OP. It would be nice to know how much they really added or made different in general. I do like to support the devs where possible, but I've already bought Dom 2-4 and since I never really got into the multiplayer, I'm not sure this time that I really want to buy yet another one if there isn't also some substantial new content this time on top of the usual incremental changes to the mechanics.

VVV I've picked that much up already, I was just hoping there might be something more comprehensive around somewhere.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my understanding is that the three big things are that blesses work differently now and theres some more variety, recruitment points are a thing and relevant sometimes, and battles handle movement and fire in a more real-time-ish fashion now

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Would anyone happen to know if there's link to a full list of changes and new content from Dominions 4 to Dominions 5 somewhere, maybe? Didn't see anything in the OP. It would be nice to know how much they really added or made different in general. I do like to support the devs where possible, but I've already bought Dom 2-4 and since I never really got into the multiplayer, I'm not sure this time that I really want to buy yet another one if there isn't also some substantial new content this time on top of the usual incremental changes to the mechanics.
So far, there are about a half dozen new and many reworked nations (the Arco and Ur region nations are particularly buffed/changed), they changed a lot about how recruitment works by adding "recruitment points" so for example you can get up to 3 scouts out of a fort per turn, and completely replaced the bless system. The AI is also maybe better at the game, and there is a 64 bit version for windows which is somewhat difficult to find inside your steam folder but does assuredly exist.

There is not a coherent changelog but then this is very much how Illwinter operates.

I haven't posted here in forever but here is the latest version of JBBM, a balance mod that is quite often used on the discord: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ggwpki8glyywiz/JBBM_v_0_5_9f2.zip?dl=1

It's got some UI stuff like putting the summonables for Ermor/Lemuria/Therodos/Asphodel on the nation overview, convenience changes like giving all the tiny buffs 100 precision, and a fair old wack of balance tweaks; you might just enjoy it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what was ur like before

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's a list here: http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/changes.html

I'll say that if you're mostly into the fluff there's not a whole lot that's new there. There are a few new nations which are interesting but may not be worth the price point all by themselves.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
The secret star feature is multi-turn movement. A bit flawed, perhaps, but a miracle for me actually using scouts.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

what was ur like before
It had fewer units in general (esp summons) and no kulullu underwater.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Do worldwide effects from Thrones persist so long as the throne is claimed, or do they die off after a few turns? Or is it random which throne effects take effect on a turn?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the worldwide stuff is only for a few months after claiming them, and you can have multiple running at the same time

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Certain combinations of claimed Throne effects can be frustrating, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
For those not in the discord, we've started doing mod games now.