Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Fists shaking in rage at folks with high ceilings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I would like to let you all know that I finally got it. This is it, I finally figured out my swing, this time I'm sure of it. I had a great session and I'm sure it will only get better from now on

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

nerdz posted:

I would like to let you all know that I finally got it. This is it, I finally figured out my swing, this time I'm sure of it. I had a great session and I'm sure it will only get better from now on

you have angered the golf gods, and will be quickly humbled. you're gonna chunk one so hard your wrists vibrate for an hour.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hole 9: 246 yard drive, leaving me 113 yards to the green. Put it right in the water in front of the green. Take my drop, put it right in the water again.

Hole 10. 260 yard drive, leaving me 97 yards to the green. Put it right in the water in front of the green. Take my drop, put it right in the water again.

Golf sucks

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nerdz posted:

Why would you snub god like this?!

Edit: crap, someone else made this joke already

[Quickly looking for something else to put in the post:] hey, new clubs from japan arriving tomorrow!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nerdz posted:

this time I'm sure of it.

Oh Bullwinkle. :allears:

PB'd my local 9 hole today. First time I've been on course in about a month, but with a lot of sim sessions behind me, and the work has been paying off. I was let down by my early putts (because that's probably the least I've practiced) but tee/approach shots were way better, as were my chips around the green. Good day of golf.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 20, 2024

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

Fists shaking in rage at folks with high ceilings.

This is exactly why my simulator setup is in the garage. It's the only place with high enough ceilings and even then it's barely tall enough. I've hit the top a few times with especially high driver swings but it's only been a graze fortunately.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

This is exactly why my simulator setup is in the garage. It's the only place with high enough ceilings and even then it's barely tall enough. I've hit the top a few times with especially high driver swings but it's only been a graze fortunately.

I spend $3500 on a garage heater last year solely for this reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i booked the lesson. it's a pga guy who works at an indoor simulator place here. kinda wanted to do an actual range but they're booked out for like a week and i wanted to get some practice in while i've got the "i just spent money" endorphins

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Kirios posted:

I live in a big house... but the garage is right below the bedrooms on the 2nd floor so we don't have the benefit of having tall garage ceilings, the interior has 9 foot ceilings, but i'm 6'3".

If i ever come into a fat stack of cash, i seriously plan to have part of my basement dug out from 8.5 feet to 11 feet, so i can put a simulator/theatre in a corner of the basement.

As an aside, played a course with xsf421 yesterday, carded a 115 (oof) but we played off the blues. i typically play off the whites, and i'm still not hitting driver without a wicked loving slice, so i'm hitting 3w from the tee 180-220 depending.

Either way, my swing has improved quite a bit, lessons have been helping... buuuuuut now my yardages are all over the place. i sent a 9i 20 yards past the green from 115-120, and then i sent a pw 20-30 past the green from 100ish. my irons were going nice and straight with good flight, and i hit a pretty good blind chip up a steep hill into the back of the green that rolled back down into a 8 foot putt that i then missed for par. I also had to card double par twice because of some really really bad duffed shots.

However, compared to the Mayakoba PGA course in mexico a few weeks ago, i played markedly better golf, and kept myself from blowing up or getting too upset, outside of the one time i skulled a wedge, and then skulled it again yelling an audible "gently caress", i think i'm most proud of not having a blow up hole that stuck with me for the round and made me inherently worse.

I play a lot on mats and simulators, so getting out and still hitting relatively well on some challenging lies made me happy.

oh and I also realized that as much as i love that loving squareback 2 I bought off mattfl, I cannot hit it well enough with consistency. I borrowed an older Odyessy mallet and had better pace and aim all goddamn day, so if anyone is interested in a squareback 2 with an almost new pistol 2.0 grip on it, let me know, i think i'm gonna be buying a mallet here soon. (i just can't stop pushing or pulling putts with the blade, and even with a steady pace, i feel like i'll blast a putt off the milled face and I can't judge the distance. the feel however, is unmatched, i just suck)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i booked the lesson. it's a pga guy who works at an indoor simulator place here. kinda wanted to do an actual range but they're booked out for like a week and i wanted to get some practice in while i've got the "i just spent money" endorphins

Simulators are great, it's always fun to watch the slo mo videos and you learn faster at the beginning. You can always go to the range by yourself after

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Dutch golf courses sure are luscious, but every hole had a sneaky canal or two. Swapping to refurb balls as a big bounce will ruin a hole and send me broke.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
This set of Onoff Kuro cavity backs I found on Rakuten are so incredibly mint I may have to designate them as sim-only clubs.

They were obviously reshafted, and I'm unsure if ever used after that. The shafting job wasn't great, or at least the ferrule selection (undersized) and treatment (can see epoxy due to gaps on a few) which is the first time I've gotten anything from Japan that seemed low-er quality due to workmanship. No big deal to me as I was intending to pull and sell these shafts (950 GH Regular) anyhow.

Semi-related given the irons and driver for the following set were in this shipment. I put together a budget starter set for a long-time friend of mine out of "extras" I had lying around and a few deals from japan.

Obviously there are 16 clubs there, I'm recommending he put the 3 and 4 irons in the closet (along with the 60) for now. The 4 hybrid is 23 degrees, and the lofts on those Yonex Forged CBs are pretty traditional (47 degree pw)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Buying random poo poo I don't need from Japan is insanely my wheelhouse but I'm doing my best to avoid buying random golf clubs I don't need.

You're not helping lol

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

GEMorris posted:

Semi-related given the irons and driver for the following set were in this shipment. I put together a budget starter set for a long-time friend of mine out of "extras" I had lying around and a few deals from japan.

Are you taking applications for middle-aged large sons or some sort of familial type deal where I can get this kind of hook up? Seriously, this is rad, good on you.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mcqueen posted:

Are you taking applications for middle-aged large sons or some sort of familial type deal where I can get this kind of hook up? Seriously, this is rad, good on you.

Sure, but the entry reqs are you have to have been there for me as I got sober and as I had and recovered from a mental breakdown, so few qualify.

For real though I got that set of Yonex 3-P forged irons with s200 dynamic gold shafts for $64 (and prob about another $50-60 in shipping costs).

Also the Honma TR20 460 Driver remains one of the best deals in used gear. $50 for a state-of-the-art-5-years-ago driver with a shaft which was a significant upcharge.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 20, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Good news: MLM2Pro arrived. It’s great!

Bad news: my lawn’s not level :(. Gotta build a plywood platform or something to put my hitting mat on, or else I’ll be practicing with the ball a half inch above my feet. This just turned into a pRoJeCt.

Worse news: the Rapsodo is reports my swing speed at “well, you tried hard!”

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Played 18 last night, strengthened my grip by holding the club more towards my fingers with my trail hand.

After 3 duff shots, I can confirm that it helped. I’ve taken a good amount of fade off my shot, it’s still there but no where as bad as it was.

Also shaved 3 shots, so I’m now +19. Even had one hole where I was on the fringe in two on a par 4, still managed to three putt.

This game.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I always enjoy that the week after getting brutalized at the US Open the players get to go play a 6500 yard par 70 and shoot 25 under.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have trouble accepting getting tired. Like now that I know what to do, and then I get tired and have my body not respond the way I want it to is still frustrating. At least I've been recording myself to see where I crumble the most in my game. Just going insanely over the top and not rotating my hips at all on the backswing. And instead of just keeping at it and getting injured, I tried to find the longest swing where I can still hit perfectly, which was a half swing and then I just took it easy from there. It also speaks to my progress that my frustration was hitting over the top, all the shots were still mostly perfectly straight and good hits, I'm just not hitting as perfectly as I want to when I get tired. We're always forgetting how we were back then and looking for ways to frustrate ourselves by moving our goalposts I guess.

Also this listing here is tempting me a lot to have a warmup pratice blade at hand. What are the odds of it being counterfeit or something? It looks so sleek and it even has a fancy leather head cover!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266870108111

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Cam Young with a 59 at the Travellers. (Playing with lift, clean, and place.)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Presto posted:

Cam Young with a 59 at the Travellers. (Playing with lift, clean, and place.)

And it’s only a par 70. Still impressive and was a blast to watch.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm convinced this 5-PW set was never hit, and was never even in a bag unless it was with iron covers. Absolutely no marks on the faces and maybe 5-6 chatter marks amongst them all.

The 4i was from a different auction and also looks unhit, but has the expected chatter on a 4i that sat in the bag pretending that the owner used it.

I'm thinking I may keep these exclusively for my sim.

A++ would buy again.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
forged club dings are beautiful. I probably can never have cast clubs from now on

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

nerdz posted:

forged club dings are beautiful. I probably can never have cast clubs from now on

Forged clubs feel dramatically better when you hit them clean. You know when it’s a good hit.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I like being reminded every shot how far from the sweet spot I'm hitting.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I swear to God I'm going to learn how to make nice big draws if it kills me.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm currently on life support from exactly this. :pressf:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Carth Dookie posted:

My sim tells me my miss is now a hook, but I don't believe it. I'm going to go to the range once it cools off a bit and I'm gonna see a familiar slice, I just know it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Carth Dookie posted:

Here's a trick i've learned to hit big draws reliably - step 1 - take your normal setup. step 2 - swing your normal slicey swing but have danger left. step 3 - watch it draw majestically into the middle of the pond

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

A range near me just upgraded to Trackman in all the bays, and you can play courses. I played Pinehurst 2, and they’ve got the topography of the greens.

It’s horrendous for someone like me that’s not very accurate.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I've played a bunch of different rounds on the trackman sim and saw the Pinehurst inclusion. I decided that my confidence in my game is fragile enough as it is and decided to skip it for now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Cam Young and Tom Kim out here missing 3 footers in solidarity with Rory I guess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hit a hundred balls for the first time this year--its been unseasonably cool here and I've not been thinking golf so much as getting miles under my shoes running. I was really happy to have had only a few actual clunkers--shots are largely holding straight, and even misses are still landing in playable spots if short of the landing spot of one hit more true. I am really happy my discovery a year or two back about letting the club, and not my swing, do most of the work is still valid.

Time to book some time on a course. I have 18 holes waiting for me at a local semiprivate club so before our heat dome hits its time to meet some new folks at the links!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Scottie having 'Nam flashbacks as the police rush the green

https://x.com/NUCLRGOLF/status/1804971519959040301

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Anno posted:

Scottie having 'Nam flashbacks as the police rush the green

https://x.com/NUCLRGOLF/status/1804971519959040301

Hope the cops had a green repair tool with them, taking down that guy must have left a mark

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I played my first legit round today, it was a blast. Got a legit par on one hole, but was generally getting ~double bogies, mostly for putts. I knew I needed to work on putting already, but this reinforced it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm reviewing some videos from the last few months here and every week my swing drastically changes. It feels like I'm playing a Rubik's cube. The feeling and accuracy is always improving though and it's interesting to see the good movements I'm doing without thinking now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I took my GF golfing for only her second time at this little par 3 course by us and she hit the 7i I gave her about 70 yards on the 90 yard second hole and then I gave her a SW and she plopped it on the green and we watched it roll off the back.

Then we couldn’t find the bright orange ball off the back of the green so I went to check the cup

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Internet Savant posted:

Forged clubs feel dramatically better when you hit them clean. You know when it’s a good hit.
This is a misnomer. There's a perception that forged clubs are softer and feel more solid, but this is due to being made with softer metals than cast cavity backs and forged clubs tending to be blades.

Ping did an experiment a few years back where they made an iron in forged and cast but with the same metal and their tour pros couldn't tell the difference.

That said, every cast iron on the market is made of harder metal than forged options, so forged does feel better but not because of the forging process. :science: