Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Moddington posted:

Look at what that character says in the next panel. "I guess they could leave in an urn, though. For their ashes, if they got staked."

Yeah I was thinking of vampires in a different monster manual I had read recently(Hacklopedia of Beasts, maybe the best monster manual I've ever had), where a stake in the heart actually loses its effect if it is removed(similar to the Hammer and Universal films)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

It'd honestly be a pretty surprising twist if, like Miko's missed undeadening, the whole vampire thing was a feint and he really does end up returning to the Dwarven homelands dead and at peace.

Or, building off of this, Durkon's staked and the OotS recovers his corpse, dumps it in a Bag of Holding, and runs to the Dwarves because they already know that clerics of Thor are there and at least one of them's gotta be capable of resurrection. Durkon only assumed he'd be put to rest with his ancestors permanently. Meanwhile, Malack brings Nergal's wrath because he's pissed that yet another eternal friend was taken from him and blah blah blah Tarquin wants the Gate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Eh, I hope whatever part Tarquin and Co have in the main story ends with the Order leaving for the next area. He's a good villain but not the main antagonist of the story and if he continued following them around he'd get as stale as Nale. He's got more important poo poo to do.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Tarquen wanted to retreat all the way back to his castle, malack is going back to the main room looking for tarquen so they can go back to the castle as well. Linear guild is attempting to remove itself from play, rather than press on.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Durkon "bringing destruction upon the dwarven lands" could mean he has something to do with destroying the gate here. That would force Xykon and Redtooth to go to the one in the North, after all, which would bring destruction in a big way to anything in their path.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The idea that Nale would just up stake Durkon on sight is really stupid. It's a bad idea to attack other party members, especially ones who are more powerful and already want you dead. The only reason Tarquin kept Malak from killing Nale was because because he said he could get him a gate. That calculation will change if Nale starts staking guys. Plus, Nale is down two allies - Sabine and Thog, putting him at an even bigger disadvantage.

Plus, Rich's writing is strong enough that he wouldn't have all that buildup to make Vampire Durkon and then kill him off without him doing anything of note.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think Nale with have any lasting effect on the follow: the gate, durkon, or xykon. Nale is a gag villain. It would be poor storytelling to let anything to do with the main story be affected by him. If he kills durkon then the party will never have to confront him, which is a good 50+ page story arc right there. If Nale destroys the gate or xykon then that removes any conflict for our heroes. The linear guild will find a reason to leave, either by turning on each other and/or our heroes using a cunning plan. Then the real show starts for the gate.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh, I didn't think Nale would actually do that within the strips, but more of that would be the kind of response a person LIKE Nale would do.
It would be a total "cut off your nose to spite the face" type deal that would be perfect for him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Nale's whole thing is that he wants so badly to be the big bad of the campaign that he perceives Elan and the rest of the order to be the protagonists of, and every confrontation between him and the order has happened because he forced it while the order would have preferred to just ignore him. Two different ways I could see this whole plot thread going is either Nale achieving his goal and eclipsing Xykon as the bigger threat by taking control of a gate, only to get forced into a (losing) confrontation with Xykon before the Order even gets to him, or else the Order finally deciding to take the initiative and seek out a confrontation with Nale at a time where he doesn't feel ready to deal with them. Both seem like suitably ironic ways for his goal to get twisted against him.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'd like to see how Elan reacts when/if Xykon kills Nale. Tarquin is protected by the power of dramatic plot to survive until Elan comes to dethrone him, so if anyone dies to Xykon it's going to be Nale.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, but a fitting punishment for Tarquin would be dying without getting to be a legend, so Xykon just offhandedly or humiliatingly offing him could work, if done well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, but a fitting punishment for Tarquin would be dying without getting to be a legend, so Xykon just offhandedly or humiliatingly offing him could work, if done well.

That's exactly my thinking. Tarquin has it all made, he's in charge of an empire, gets to do what he wants, he just has to sit back and do nothing to win, but Nale's offer tempts him, and that could easily cause his downfall in what he'd consider the worst way: He dies alone and forgotten in some dungeon where no one else will ever know. No glorious fight on the palace balcony. No statues to his memory. No aspiring villains following his footsteps. He just becomes a footnote to history, a general who vanished one day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Slashrat posted:

Nale's whole thing is that he wants so badly to be the big bad of the campaign that he perceives Elan and the rest of the order to be the protagonists of, and every confrontation between him and the order has happened because he forced it while the order would have preferred to just ignore him. Two different ways I could see this whole plot thread going is either Nale achieving his goal and eclipsing Xykon as the bigger threat by taking control of a gate, only to get forced into a (losing) confrontation with Xykon before the Order even gets to him, or else the Order finally deciding to take the initiative and seek out a confrontation with Nale at a time where he doesn't feel ready to deal with them. Both seem like suitably ironic ways for his goal to get twisted against him.

eh, I'd say Nale's whole thing is Daddy Issues. Everything about him and his actions scream "earn Daddy's love". Tarquin praises the abilities of bards but says they are under-powered, so Nale makes sure he has those abilities without the label, hoping for Tarquin's approval. Tarquin couldn't hold on to power outright, so Nale tries to show he is good enough that he can rule from the front and get Tarquin's love and respect. Tarquin respects and listens to his teammates, so Nale betrays and tries to kill them all to get rid of anyone who detract's his father's attention from him. Tarquin loves Elan more, so Nale has to humiliate, destroy, and then kill Elan to prove he is better and deserves Tarquin's love. Hell, the whole mission in the pyramid, Nale was charging ahead recklessly (even compared to his past plans) to try and prove to his father he is a brilliant and skilled commander.

A more likely resolution then, is Tarquin getting killed before Nale ever gets his approval, sending Nale off in a character tailspin now that he has lost his direction in life.

At this point if I were to speculate, I'd say Malack and Durkula return to the main chamber to meet up with Tarquin, and find Xykon and crew there. Events lead to Xykon killing Malack, which frees Durkula, (who runs off) Tarquin tries to avenge his friend, gets killed, and leaving Nale pretty unmoored.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 27, 2013

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Would Tarquin really avenge Malack?

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Noah posted:

He would, if it were a convenient excuse for something else.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Their friendship is genuine, Tarquin is spiteful (see sentencing the bounty hunters to the arena for a joke), and letting someone kill one of his allies without reprisal makes him look weak. I don't think he'd need any more excuse, though he would probably find a way to profit in the process.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Noah posted:

He is evil and calculating, yes, but he also has real relationships with others and lets those relationships and emotions influence his actions and reactions. Him going "oh well, I'm evil so it is ok" would be a pretty big break from his established character to something much more one dimensional. He will do things out of pride, profit, to demonstrate authority, and to keep a more valuable ally, but all those incidents have had a pretty hefty emotional component to them as well. Even if you don't think "he killed my friend" is enough, "my competitor for power and a threat to my authority just killed my friend" should be.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Fried Chicken posted:

He is evil and calculating, yes, but he also has real relationships with others and lets those relationships and emotions influence his actions and reactions. Him going "oh well, I'm evil so it is ok" would be a pretty big break from his established character to something much more one dimensional. He will do things out of pride, profit, to demonstrate authority, and to keep a more valuable ally, but all those incidents have had a pretty hefty emotional component to them as well. Even if you don't think "he killed my friend" is enough, "my competitor for power and a threat to my authority just killed my friend" should be.

this also ignores the article on GITAP where he talks about two villains not being able to be turned against each other because they were childhood friends growing up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nystral posted:

this also ignores the article on GITAP where he talks about two villains not being able to be turned against each other because they were childhood friends growing up.

Except Tarquin and Malack are the friends here, not Tarquin and Xykon. If anything, the character development technique in that essay makes me think it is more likely that Tarquin would have an emotional reaction to Malack's (final) death, rather than blowing it off because he is evil.

Though is there a spell that could destroy Malack outright, rather than banish him to his coffin?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fried Chicken posted:

Though is there a spell that could destroy Malack outright, rather than banish him to his coffin?
Sunbeam / sunburst, but they're only accessible to druids and Sun domain clerics so Redcloak can't have them, and I doubt Xykon learned sunbeam as an 8th-level spell. "Nonlethal" spells like temporal stasis or imprisonment would work too.

More generally, any spell that's a straight save-or-die rather than dealing damage ought to work, but I'm not sure which are left after you remove all the ones that have no effect on undead, either due to being mind-affecting or requiring a Fortitude save.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 27, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Being thrown into the Snarl.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe something the MitD could do, aside from wish? But that isn't going to happen as he already played the wish card and Rich probably won't want his true form revealed just yet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

What about like binding him in a soul prison gem or something?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Nystral posted:

Got a link?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fried Chicken posted:

What about like binding him in a soul prison gem or something?

That wouldn't really destroy him, though. There is a way out of a soul prison gem and Tarquin seems like he would go to the trouble to do so if it was possible.
It would buy you time, but now you've got Tarquin who controls an empire pissed off at you, along with the rest of his party that we haven't met.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Got a link?

Here you go.

A lot of the articles on his site are really interesting, it's a shame he stopped doing them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MildShow posted:

Here you go.

A lot of the articles on his site are really interesting, it's a shame he stopped doing them.

The OOTS was originally just a way to draw people to the articles. :ironicat:

I agree it's a pity he stopped, that one on creating a villain is brilliant.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Beyond any deeper motivation do you think Tarquin would pass up a chance at sworn vengeance against those that killed his best friend?

He probably keeps a separate set of armor and weapons just for gearing up montages.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Friendship is just another method of control for Tarquin. You shouldn't believe he actually cares about anyone.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

greatn posted:

Friendship is just another method of control for Tarquin. You shouldn't believe he actually cares about anyone.
And we're concluding this on what grounds, exactly?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's a master manipulator.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Bigot. You think just because you label someone as "Evil", that they aren't capable of the same emotions and attachments you are.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

greatn posted:

So did you catch the part where literally half the strip is a deconstruction of the Evil Archetype being a cartoonish sociopath that is incapable of having meaningful relationships?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He is real friends with Malack and probably the rest of his party. He is evil but that does mean he can't care about people.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Naramyth posted:

Got a link?

The link to the Friendship is Magic and Love is something EVIL feels too! article was already posted so I'll link the "how to build a villian one instead.. This was TOTALLY NOT because I added the wrong one, NO SIREE!! http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html about 1/2 way down at step 10

Nystral fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 27, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

greatn posted:

He says about the character who shows he's evil by throwing a parade for his son.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

greatn posted:

Even if it is Tarquin is not going to turn down the chance for an awesome revenge kick.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

greatn posted:

Which reduces him down to a one dimensional character. I really can't see rich going "hey I spent half the book doing character development, now to toss it in the trash!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never saw him as that developed in the first place. The entire chapter I've never seen him express anything except smug amusement and self satisfaction at how awesome he is. He's just a narcissist, having a vampire lizard thing friend helps fulfill his political goals and his ability to make himself look cooler. To be cool and be remembered seem to be his real primary motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

I never saw him as that developed in the first place. The entire chapter I've never seen him express anything except smug amusement and self satisfaction at how awesome he is. He's just a narcissist, having a vampire lizard thing friend helps fulfill his political goals and his ability to make himself look cooler. To be cool and be remembered seem to be his real primary motivations.

He's shown some true friendship for Malack, including apologizing for his actions and taking steps to correct the behavior.

Tarquin is absolutely an evil narcissistic bastard, but he's just as human as anyone else.