Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Subaru's full time AWD is notoriously thirsty. The Legacy getting worse mileage than other cars in its class is no surprise. I think that's the reason they're tending towards CVTs lately, to compensate for the AWD drain.

The four cylinder actually gets pretty good fuel economy. The switch to CVTs seems to be working there, but the six cylinder still gets terrible mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

so... a pace car?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
So Hot Rod Magazine had a Q&A with Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis

Two parts stuck out to me

quote:

HRM: Will there be a future for the Hellcat? Is it a limited production car?

TK: This one I love, because I’m so pissed about this. Someone wrote an article and said, ‘F Dodge, they built this awesome car but they are only gonna build 1200 of them and I’ll never be able to get one,’ Bullshit. We never said that! I don’t know where the guy got that information. The Hellcat is not limited production. We’ll see what the demand is, but definitely not limited to 1200.

This is how a CEO talks. It owns. Dodge has real car dudes in charge nowadays and it shows.

quote:

HRM: Have you ever considered making a two-door Charger or convertible Challenger?

TK: No. The reason why is the Charger is an amazing car for us, we sell 100,000 of those a year, because it doesn’t fit the mold of anything else that is a full-size sedan. Nothing else is like it in its segment. I’m not messing with that. That’s why this is different than a Camaro or a Mustang. I don’t want to compete with Camaro or Mustang. I want people who are looking at midsize cars to go hey, those are cool.

This is what I've always said in AI about the Challenger when it gets the Mustang/Camaro comparisons. The Challenger isn't a pony car. It's the two-door Charger that they are never going to build.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

So like 2000 of them? :v:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Probably. Hard to say really, Dodge has a habit of numbering things like that.

If it says "0000/X000" then yeah, if it's just "0000" they are gonna build all of them that they can sell.

The six month fracas from another site when we were trying to figure out how many Daytona Rams were built was hilarious.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

VikingSkull your new avatar is hosed up. Just thought I'd say that.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

This is what I've always said in AI about the Challenger when it gets the Mustang/Camaro comparisons. The Challenger isn't a pony car.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_a...0Camaro&f=false

quote:

The Challenger was described in a book about 1960s American cars as Dodge's "answer to the Mustang and Camaro."[5] Introduced in fall 1969 for the 1970 model year,[5] it was one of two Chrysler E-body cars, the other being the slightly smaller Plymouth Barracuda. "Both the Challenger and Barracuda were available in a staggering number of trim and option levels" and were intended "to compete against cars like the Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang, and to do it while offering virtually every engine in Chrysler's inventory."[6] However, the 1970 Challenger was "a rather late response to the ponycar wave the Ford Mustang had started" with its introduction in April 1964.[7] In his book Hemi Muscle Cars,[8] Robert Genat wrote that the Challenger was conceived in the late 1960s as Dodge's equivalent of the Plymouth Barracuda, and that the Barracuda was designed to compete against the Mustang. The 1964 Barracuda was actually the first car in this sporty car segment by a few months, but was quickly overshadowed by the release of the segment defining Mustang (the segment being referred to as "Pony Car"). He added that Chrysler intended the new 1970 Dodge as "the most potent ponycar ever," and positioned it "to compete against the Mercury Cougar and Pontiac Firebird." Genat also noted that the "Barracuda was intended to compete in the marketplace with the Mustang and Camaro/Firebird, while the Dodge was to be positioned against the Cougar" and other more luxury-type musclecars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger#First_generation_.281969.E2.80.931974.29

I don't know if it's even possible to be more wrong than you are at the moment. And the four door Charger still has two doors too many.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that VS is talking about the current Challenger, which seems more of a grand tourer than a pony car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm pretty sure that VS is talking about the current Challenger, which seems more of a grand tourer than a pony car.

Yup exactly. From the time it came back, Chrysler has maintained it wasn't competing with the Mustang and Camaro directly. It has always been a GT style car, made for cruising the highways far more than racing down back roads. Even in that wiki link, it only says that a book puts it as the answer to the Mustang and Camaro, and goes on to say that the 'Cuda was smaller, lighter and more of a heads up comparison to the pony cars, while the Challenger was more aligned with the Firebird and Cougar. Those were upscale pony cars at the time, but more of what we call a grand tourer today.

The modern Challenger is totally a GT car from the word go, they've never planned to have a track day version like the Z/28 or Boss because that's not who the car is targeted at. It has more back seat room and more trunk space than both the Camaro and Mustang IIRC, and is targeted at a slightly older demographic.

People often forget that back in the day Plymouth was the budget group of Chrysler, and Dodge was the performance brand. Much like Pontiac, Dodge cars were a tad upscale without being luxury cars like Chrysler.

Son got a Road Runner, dad got a Coronet, and grandpa had a 300.

Also sorry leica, lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Yup exactly. From the time it came back, Chrysler has maintained it wasn't competing with the Mustang and Camaro directly. It has always been a GT style car, made for cruising the highways far more than racing down back roads. Even in that wiki link, it only says that a book puts it as the answer to the Mustang and Camaro, and goes on to say that the 'Cuda was smaller, lighter and more of a heads up comparison to the pony cars, while the Challenger was more aligned with the Firebird and Cougar. Those were upscale pony cars at the time, but more of what we call a grand tourer today.

The modern Challenger is totally a GT car from the word go, they've never planned to have a track day version like the Z/28 or Boss because that's not who the car is targeted at. It has more back seat room and more trunk space than both the Camaro and Mustang IIRC, and is targeted at a slightly older demographic.

People often forget that back in the day Plymouth was the budget group of Chrysler, and Dodge was the performance brand. Much like Pontiac, Dodge cars were a tad upscale without being luxury cars like Chrysler.

Son got a Road Runner, dad got a Coronet, and grandpa had a 300.

Also sorry leica, lol

Honeslty the modern Challenger is more like the historical Charger - big two door that's bigger than a pony car but not as fat as a Thunderbird.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

Honeslty the modern Challenger is more like the historical Charger - big two door that's bigger than a pony car but not as fat as a Thunderbird.

This. They should have called the Challenger the Charger, and called the Charger the Imperial or Windsor or something else.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

HotCanadianChick posted:

This. They should have called the Challenger the Charger, and called the Charger the Imperial or Windsor or something else.

I could get behind this, but the Challenger is awesome looking and we wouldn't have got the same car.

The real problem is too many people watched Bullit and the Dukes and have forgotten that Dodge has a proud and storied history of making hideously ugly cars named Charger prior to and after 1968. The first gen is a loving travesty and I never see purists say "the new Charger isn't a bloated fastback :mad:"

e- and 73 Chargers are superior, anyway :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

HotCanadianChick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygpgISyJnPo

What you're thinking of might fit better as a Polaris Polara (E: woops)

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 3, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Charger = Dodge Monaco (or maybe Polara)

Challenger = Dodge Charger

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Ooh, I should have thought of the Polara, as I used to know a guy who had one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The fuzz here drive Chargers when they're not in Vics. Weren't there a lot of police Polaras back in the day? It's sounding better and better.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Phy posted:

The fuzz here drive Chargers when they're not in Vics. Weren't there a lot of police Polaras back in the day? It's sounding better and better.

Mopars were really popular cop cars back in the day.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Basically people are angry about the Challenger because it's A) not as luxurious as a Panamera and B) MY 1970S CHRYSLER MODEL NAME TAXONOMY.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The weird thing is nobody got mad that the Magnum was named Magnum, because the original Magnum was way cooler than the wagon.

Mopar guys are weird.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

was way cooler than the wagon.

Aside from the stupid looking front clip (compared to the Charger) the Magnum was wicked loving cool. The original Magnum was a fairly generic '70s long-hood coupe, and pretty ugly.
Also when someone says "Dodge Magnum" and isn't talking about a wagon, the first thing I think of is the '90s 318/360.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tommychu posted:

Also when someone says "Dodge Magnum" and isn't talking about a wagon, the first thing I think of is the '90s 318/360.

Don't forget the black sheep of the line, the 8.0 V10. The diesel alternative that was less powerful than any diesel and the Hemi line that replaced it, and also worse fuel economy than any of the other options.

Only mark in its favor is that they poured aluminum in the mold and had Lambo put some good heads on it to create the Viper motor.

vv I guess I misremembered. Still hilariously low output for such a large engine, even by 80s/early 90s standards.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 4, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fucknag posted:

Don't forget the black sheep of the line, the 8.0 V10. The diesel alternative that was less powerful than any diesel and the Hemi line that replaced it, and also worse fuel economy than any of the other options.

Only mark in its favor is that they poured aluminum in the mold and had Lambo put some good heads on it to create the Viper motor.

It would appear that V10 was more powerful than all of the Dodge diesel options and the only one that made significantly more torque was the later model high output version

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think that's also doing a disservice to the Viper engine, too, because IIRC even the internal structure of the block is quite different in terms of water passages and such. It's really nothing like the truck engine, save the exterior dimensions.

Besides, it came full circle with the SRT-10, so it owns.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

Coredump posted:

The sister car to that, The Hyundai Elantra, has a touring model that is like that. Ever looked into it?

There used to be an Elantra Touring, which an actual wagon. Today, there is only the Elantra GT, which is presented as an Elantra hatchback. In reality, it's a kissing cousin of the Elantra that happens to be a hatch and look close enough to pass off as being from the same family.

Augmented Dickey posted:

The Optima is a midsize car; its Hyundai analogue is the Sonata. The Elantra is a compact.

The Elantra GT is actually based on the European i30 (I think?) and is a few inches shorter than the Elantra/Forte sedan and coupe.

Correct. Elantra GT is the European Hyundai i30 brought over stateside with some Americanized tweaks. Due to the similarities with the Elantra, Hyundai North America named it Elantra GT but it's actually quite a bit different than the Elantra Sedan and Coupe. The interiors, for example, are very different. Also, the GT has a shorter wheelbase and is shorter overall.

Coredump posted:

Well drat I got told. I was pretty surprised when I saw one just recently. I honestly thought it was a Canadian car until I saw the plates on it since I'd never seen one before and station wagons so rare in the US.

Elantra GTs are kind of rare. They're a couple grand more expensive than an equivalent Elantra sedan and most folks shopping that segment are price conscious. It's definitely a hatch and not a wagon, there's not exactly a ton of space in the cargo area. However, the back seat does lay down completely flat and you then you get quite a bit of space.

I have a 2013 Elantra GT and I really, really, really like mine. I shopped the compact segment meticulously and I thought the Elantra GT was something different and unique that you don't see all over the roads. Plus, I liked the fact that you can get it fully optioned out with all the whiz-bang features like leather and navigation and you can STILL get a manual transmission.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A new DB5 luxury British car

http://www.davidbrownautomotive.com/

Looks pretty tidy

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
The side profile of that is horrible. It looks like one of those Mustang kit cars where they just slap a random front clip on and change the tail lights a little.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Looks like a T-bird in that shot.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/05/2015-chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-pricing-official/

GM has announced pricing for the Canyon/Colorado. The GMC starts at $20,995 while the Chevy startsat $20,100.

I was expecting both (especially the GMC) to start in the mid-20's; the interiors look miles ahead of anything else in the segment.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That is ambitious pricing. The Tacoma starts $2000 cheaper and has the Toyota repuation. I don't think GM is going to have a lot of luck selling these without $3000 on the hood.

The extra stuff that comes standard on the GM twins is not the sort of stuff that gets low-end small truck buyers excited (especially fleet operators): a power seat, useless LED accent lights, and larger wheels that require more expensive tires.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PBCrunch posted:

The Tacoma starts $2000 cheaper and has the Toyota repuation.

These aren't mid-size family sedans, having a bowtie on the front is an asset and not a disadvantage.

What's going to hurt these is how fast that price rises when you start adding stuff like the V6 or the Z71 package. If I were GM I'd be more worried about the Silverado/Sierra than the Tacoma.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If ford keeps the canadian pricing on the f-150, the canyon is dead in the water here. A base model f-150 is $19,999 before incentives and apart from the width, a reg cab/short box f-150 is about the same dimensions.

Put a V6 in the canyon and an etended cab on the f-150, they'd still be the same price. The only vehicle i could see them stealing sales from is the ridgeline, and i'm sure there are posters here who sell more in a year than the ridgeline does.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 9, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Q_res posted:

These aren't mid-size family sedans, having a bowtie on the front is an asset and not a disadvantage.

What's going to hurt these is how fast that price rises when you start adding stuff like the V6 or the Z71 package. If I were GM I'd be more worried about the Silverado/Sierra than the Tacoma.

Yep. Base model is a decent price, but jesus it gets expensive fast when you put a few addons on the pricetag. I agree with the other poster about the F150 - more truck, same $$$. They really need to drop the price, or the diesel (har) better be really fuel efficient and not a whole lot more money.

Make a decent small/mid size truck that can pull 30mpg + on the highway during normal commute-style driving, but leave it able to haul a 5000lb trailer/boat without feeling like you are sucking wind doing it, and it would sell like loving hotcakes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No it wont because its not the size of a small house. Have any of you seen just how much wasted empty space here is under the hood of say a Ram 1500? Probably hundreds of pounds could be dropped just by making the truck large enough to fit the running gear but then you couldnt get into dickwaving contests over how large your truck is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 3.2 diesel in the ford transit is a $6040 over the base V6. The 3.5 ecoboost is only a $1910 option.

There goes any chance of finding one in a wrecking yard any time in the next decade.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't care if the Canyon comes in at a higher price than a somewhat comparable full size after discounts are taken into account. I don't loving need something as big as a full size truck. I don't want anything that big either. I don't really want a truck, but the Canyon Diesel is going to be the closest thing to what I want/need in a vehicle that you can buy in the US. They're smart with their marketing towards active people with kayaks and bikes and camping shots in the press releases. That's what got me interested.

Why are people paying a premium for a loaded compact like the focus when they could get a fusion for just a couple thousand more? It's the same thing. There is a market for not full size trucks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I was expecting both (especially the GMC) to start in the mid-20's; the interiors look miles ahead of anything else in the segment.

That is pretty much impossible to tell from press photos.

I hope it's an improvement on the current AU/NZ model - that is an awful mess of horrible misaligned plastic. Bad even for the sector (and stuff like the Hilux and Navara hardly set a high bar)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I don't care if the Canyon comes in at a higher price than a somewhat comparable full size after discounts are taken into account. I don't loving need something as big as a full size truck. I don't want anything that big either. I don't really want a truck, but the Canyon Diesel is going to be the closest thing to what I want/need in a vehicle that you can buy in the US. They're smart with their marketing towards active people with kayaks and bikes and camping shots in the press releases. That's what got me interested.

Why are people paying a premium for a loaded compact like the focus when they could get a fusion for just a couple thousand more? It's the same thing. There is a market for not full size trucks.

Except there really isn't. That's what killed the compact trucks in the beginning. People are dumb and see that they can get a bigger truck for just a bit more. The sales numbers for compact to full size trucks are miles away from compact to midsize cars. People in the US equate size as a measure of quality.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dear GM, stop being :ralp: and sell the SS in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ND out and about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like a mini f-type.