Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I don't recall seeing this trial at all. Was this the one that was mentioned earlier in the thread as not being a part of the original GBA release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Prowler posted:

I don't recall seeing this trial at all. Was this the one that was mentioned earlier in the thread as not being a part of the original GBA release?

No, that one's next.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've said it before, and I still stand by it: Phoenix is well compensated, but there are months between each trial so he ends up working like 12 days a year, in order to keep up his cartoonishly poor anime protagonist lifestyle. We have yet to see any text that contradicts this, nor indications of any smaller trials or other side hustles.

and frankly, I have a lot of respect for that

I think there's an off-hand mention in Game 2 that implies Phoenix might have been taking more cases than the one we see, but that would be the only time I can recall it coming up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Evidence law in this game is as loose as the rest of the law in this game. In the real world, even if Phoenix weren't allowed to inspect the DL-6 evidence himself, he would have a very solid case for prosecutorial misconduct when the available evidence didn't match the police record, and von Karma was known to have been in the evidence room tampering with it. Obviously, I'm not a lawyer, but I know that the prosecution is required to disclose potentially exculpatory evidence, and surely some kind of adverse inference applies - if the defense can show that the evidence existed and that the prosecution destroyed it, and can make a viable claim about what it would have shown, the court can accept the claim as fact by virtue of the prosecution's misconduct - in other words, if the evidence weren't against them, why would they have destroyed it? Accusing someone of a crime seems to be about all it takes for the police and prosecutors to arrest someone and take their guilt as a matter of fact in this world, and a supportable accusation against someone seems to be a condition of any Not Guilty verdict. So the idea of "You must submit the bullet inside you as evidence, or the accusation against you will stand" seems to be perfectly in line with this game's legal theory.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So IIRC it's more like the prosecution is "required" to share evidence --- if it's missing the defense suing on that has to show that it's of sufficient importance:

quote:

In United States v. Bagley (1985), the Court narrowed the reach of Brady by stating the suppressed evidence had to be "exculpatory" and "material" for a violation to result in the reversal of a conviction.[4] Harry Blackmun wrote in Bagley that "only if there is a reasonable probability that, had the evidence been disclosed to the defense, the result of the proceeding would have been different. A 'reasonable probability' is a probability sufficient to undermine confidence in the outcome."

... And Ace Attorney universe is hardly the only place where judges are overly deferential to prosecutors.

(From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_v._Maryland)

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
IIRC, The five cases in this game are explicitly the only cases he takes during the course of events. I can't recall for sure if there's any mention of additional cases in the next games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or are those "Objection" sound bites really slow to load from that court-records.net site DKII is linking to?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 116: Episode 4, Epilogue: Celebration

Music: Victory! The First Victory

Nick! Nick! We did it!

I gotta say, I'm impressed.

Heh... It was pretty close, though.

I was sure we'd had it.

But now it's all just a good memory!

So, it's finally over, Edgeworth.

Yeah?

I know! I know!
Sound: Light Bulb

Try "thank you."

I... I see.

Y-you're welcome.

I think you could have done better than that!

You got a lot to learn, Edgeworth!
Sound: Whack

(She's got you there...)

Sound: Drama Pound

A wild Gumshoe appears!

Sound: Damage 2

I'll never forget this! I owe you one, pal.

And tonight, let's party! Dinner's on me!

But who cares!

That's how you say "thank you"!

Hmm. I... I see.

*ahem*

Music: Silence

Sound: Super Shock

I... I feel foolish.
Sound: Realization

Lotta!

Y'all were great in there!

Thank you!

Yo, Edgeworth! Congrats!

I knew you were innocent from the start, of course.

Yeah, well, let bygones be bygones, eh?
Sound: Stab

Speaking of which, what are you doing now, Lotta?

Who, me? Aww, I went back to college.

Wasn't she still hanging around the park two days ago?

Really? That's too bad.

Huh?

?

Huh?

Oy, this guy again.

Wh-why the sad face, Larry!? What happened now!?

Oh, Nick... I'm not long for this world.

Uh... you don't look sick...

She's leaving me behind!!!
Sound: Stab 2

(Should've seen that coming...)

Yo, Edgey! There you are!

Um, yes, here I am.

Celebration? That's unusual for you.

Huh? Uh... thanks! Looking forward to it!

(Yo, yo, Nick!)

(That's the suit that questioned me!)

Uh, I think you'll be fine, Larry.

Wright...

Yeah? What's up?

Sonofabitch, Larry can pay Edgeworth but not us?

Well, yeah. That's not that strange. People give money away to celebrate sometimes.

Huh. What a weird amount. I mean, it's not a little, but it's not a lot either.

$38.00 exactly?

N-N-Nick!

$38...!

No...

Sound: Drama Pound

What are you so surprised about, Wright?

Huh?

But that doesn't automatically rule him out as a suspect.

What?
Sound: Shock 2

Think back to that day, fifteen years ago.

Then he saw the money lying there... and the rest is history.

Edgeworth... you didn't know, did you?

I suspected.

Geez, and I was feeling all proud of myself for having figured that one out, too.

Everyone else was saying you did it. The whole class was against you, remember?

Yeah... too well.

Wright, you may not know this, but we used to have a saying back in school.

I know, I know.

Really, Wright. I'm surprised you didn't figure it out!

Oh, hush, you. You acted like you didn't even remember the whole class trial thing yesterday.

Edgeworth...

Hmm?

You should have told me!

Now, now, Nick. It was fifteen years ago!

I'd say so, yes.

There you have it!

Grr...

Where does that leave me!? I became a defense attorney because of what you two did!

You're welcome.

You're welcome, too!

D-death! The death sentence for both of you!

Man, if I only had known, I'd have become a prosecutor!
Sound: Objection

For the longest time, I thought that I might have killed my own father.

I thought I might be a criminal.

I became a prosecutor in part to punish myself.

Edgeworth...

Want to switch, Wright?

Hey, photo time! Let's go!

And after that, dinner on me!

We celebrated Edgeworth's new found freedom.

Even though Edgeworth himself was still in detention.

...What? He was declared not guilty, he can't just walk out of there?

...Phoenix, did you celebrate at the office and pass out? Or do you often sleep there?

My head hurts...

Hmm?

Music: Turnabout Sisters Ballad

You were really impressive yesterday.

Seeing you...

I'm a spirit medium... in training, of course.

I wanted to help you.

So, I've decided to go back to my training.

I'll become a full-fledged spirit medium, for starters.

Goodbye, Nick.

Gah! The first trains for the mountains have already left! To the station!

I am impressed with this epilogue for both the callbacks to references earlier in the episode (the class trial, Maya feeling useless) and that they made a new static background just for this scene.

I guess I'm too late...

N-Nick!

Maya!

So... you're leaving?

Yeah.

And...

I think you'll do fine without me, Nick.

Be good... okay!

W-wait!

What?

I never could have saved Edgeworth without your help.

Huh?

You heard my sister...?

Yes... only her voice, but still...

Well, that's my sister for you.

I'm the only one who couldn't help. I was useless, Nick.

But you were the one who stopped von Karma, Maya!

Huh?

I-I didn't do anything!

Sorry, but I have evidence that you helped!

E-evidence?

(Show Maya some evidence to cheer her up!)

This one's easy. Our final proof would not have been possible without Maya confronting Karma in the records room.

von Karma was convinced he had taken all of the evidence pertaining to DL-6!

This was the bullet that put an end to von Karma!

Nick...

I'll be back soon.

Huh?

Okay. I'll be waiting.

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

quote:

We could, of course, be mean and show her our Attorney's Badge instead...

Huh?

S-sorry, Nick. I guess I don't understand.

(Uh oh! Now that I think about it I don't understand this evidence either!)
Sound: Stab 2

It's okay, You don't have to try and cheer me up.

But...

One day, I'll come back and be useful, I promise!

We continue either way, though the track playing is different in this branch...

Sound: Alarm

So... this is it.

...That didn't sound like any train whistle I'd ever heard. What a bummer way to end the game, though.

:sadwave:

and say goodbye to the novice defense attorney that I once was...

Now a new story begins...

Music: End

Looks like it's time for the end credits. For those who prefer it, I uploaded a video link for these final scenes.

With the same old crazy cast of characters...

Sound: Desk Slam

Hah! Don't think you've graduated yet, amateur!

Er... yes, Your Honor.

(Uh oh... I got a bad feeling about this...)

The writing in this game is fantastic. I have to credit the translation team, too, even though they don't appear in the actual credits here.

Talk about a pleasant surprise!

Then he hung his head low and went right back outside.

The visual designs on the characters are great. The backgrounds are okay, but what impressed me was how easy it was to find everything I was supposed to find in every scene. No hunt-the-pixel madness here, everything is signposted or telegraphed really well.

I think this part is supposed to be someone else/some documentary interviewing people about us now?

Who, me? I've been working at a cheese shop!

Huh? Oh, she's in Hawaii right now, yeah...

Oh, hey, more graphics. Uh, see above?

I remember you, too, Mr. Payne! You were fun to destroy way back in the first episode.

I hear he's been busy lately.

Well that's certainly one way to look at it.

I'm sure he's grateful.

It's probably not as complicated as most video games, but I have to say the programming was as good as the writing here. I tried everything I could to sequence break and the plot flagging was solid, and every action had either prepared dialogue or triggered a generic response.

Ah, yes, the crazy bellboy.

Ah! The defense attorney for whom I wrote that affidavit for, yes!

Good for you, bellboy...

Should you be in the area, please, stop by...

Oh, more programming. Kudos to you as well then!

I wonder whose view we're seeing, if it's not from Phoenix?

Phoenix Wright? Ah yes, Mia's understudy, was he not?

I wonder how he's doing. Haven't seen him of late...

Maybe Phoenix decided to take a vacation until Maya comes back?

I definitely enjoyed the music as well. There were 27 total tracks in the end, and all of them were great and really set the scene well.

Well, I'm not buying it! You can't be a star with a name like "Phoenix"!

on DVD in one of them box set thingies that you can buy now-a-days and all

not that I know what a "DVD" is or why they use three-letter words for just about

Good old Oldbag rant. Though nowadays it's the kids that don't know what a "DVD" is.

I enjoyed the sound effects, too, and I hope my posting them where I could enhanced your own experience a bit. The "Light Bulb" and "Realization" ones became pretty well-known by the end.

I sure owe that Mr. Wright a great deal. *sniff*

I wouldn't want to ruin any kids' dreams, y'know.

Hmm, what can I say about publicity. I mean, I heard about this game mostly through internet memes and only ever heard good things about it, but that seems more of an after-effect. Still, the game had to be publicized well enough to sell well enough to even get into that pop culture state in the first place I suppose.

It sounds like she caught a cold standing under a waterfall.

Oh, good, Maya finally found her waterfall!

She says she can't buy them where she is. What kind of place is she living at anyway?

...I'm sure the game manual was great when the game first came out.

But... you know. I snuck into the studio the other day.

And I saw her... the one inside the Pink Princess suit!

Well, what can I say here? This game is well-polished from top to bottom.

Huh, me? I'm in training to become a paranormal photographer!

....Wait, did she somehow see Mia hanging around?

For real! Now that's talent! I'm gonna be famous!

Hahaha Mia is in the picture!

Well, looks like that's it. Episode 4 really was a magnificent capstone to the game. The pacing was much better than Episode 3, and the twists were still amazing. Building up a cast of crazy characters and then using that expectation of craziness to slip the two villains past the player is just brilliant. I had no idea Yogi was faking his issues, or that Karma was anything more than a souped-up Edgeworth put out there to scare us. Edgeworth was a frustrating client and the game went out of its way to keep us from talking to him at times, but it never felt as blatant or annoying as in the prior episodes. Even Larry started to rub off on me a bit. Just a bit!

Having the episode tie up all the references and character development from the prior episodes is just the icing on the cake from there. DL-6 and the class trial perfectly showcased Edgeworth's story and rewarded the emotional investment we put into him the last two episodes. Even Maya had growth in this episode, confronting her own abilities and insecurities and deciding to do something about it. Phoenix, as the player's viewoint, didn't have as much going on, but when the player was picking the right options Phoenix was definitely getting more confident and competent as the game went on.

One interesting observation from this episode, compared to the prior ones - we never really tripped up the villains directly. Yogi caved on his own after we put the squeeze on his parrot, and Karma confessed after we picked apart Edgeworth's self-incrimination. We really just used our hard-won evidence to defeat both enemies, instead of them almost beating themselves with their testimonies. Our victory seems better-earned, this time around.

All right, I guess that just about wraps this one up!

...?

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

...There's more?

Okay, okay, I knew this one was coming. It's impossible to avoid all spoilers I guess. Here's the deal - four years after this game's original release, it was re-released on the Nintendo DS. Along with the original game, Capcom also included a bonus episode. That bonus episode is also included in the HD trilogy version I'm playing, so we'll head into it next. Just keep in mind, it's really separate from the original game; in fact, it was released after both of the remaining games in the trilogy had already come out, though it takes place between this game and the next. Since the DS release of this game was the first release outside of Japan, everyone else may have been confused on first playing it - Episode 4 sure seems like the end, so what's this other episode doing? The only other thing I really know about Episode 5... is that it's huge. We'll see more on what it's all about next time!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he hid it so well, Maya. :v:

This is the exact point in these games I feel like Larry goes from being tolerable to being... well... The Butz. I suppose that coinciding with Phoenix realizing his fault in the mock trial is fitting, but ah well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Congratulations on completing the original run of Ace Attorney!

Since the game originally came out on the GBA, I'd bet the backgrounds avoiding pixel hunting was at least partly enforced by the format.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

oh, Gumshoe is the guy throwing victory confetti, I thought that was a joke!

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

A great ending to a great game. Even though it's kinda not ended yet. :)

I know you're far from over but I wanted to say you're doing a really good job with this LP, DKII. I'm very much enjoying reliving the games through you.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Same here. Keep up the good work!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
+1 to the sentiment, as well, it's always nice to see someone go in completely blind and sharing their thoughts as things develop, and I greatly appreciate your effort to hunt down every alternate piece of dialogue and random plot flags. I haven't seen anyone else do that and I imagine it's a lot more work than you'd think, but your mad devotion doesn't go unnoticed.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Been an absolute delight to follow your adventure up to now! Can't wait to carry on for the next one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Agreed with all, your work on this LP is immaculate.

It's really ballsy that they start Edgeworth off as a smug ruffled prick who is *rumored* to hide or falsify evidence (though, we do see he coaches witnesses to obscure certain facts), and then gradually turn him into a tragic, haunted figure. He's a bit of an anime stereotype, but it's still cute to see him try loosening up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

davidspackage posted:

Agreed with all, your work on this LP is immaculate.

It's really ballsy that they start Edgeworth off as a smug ruffled prick who is *rumored* to hide or falsify evidence (though, we do see he coaches witnesses to obscure certain facts), and then gradually turn him into a tragic, haunted figure. He's a bit of an anime stereotype, but it's still cute to see him try loosening up.

He's lawyer Seto Kaiba. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hooray! Glad you liked the game. Hope you enjoy the remainder...

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks all. I'm going to take a short break before diving into the next episode. We'll be back in a couple weeks - I'll aim for 8/21 for the next update.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 117: Episode 5, Prologue: Mirror

Bonus episode time! Since this episode was made for the Nintendo DS, rather than the Game Boy Advance, I'm curious to see what will be different. Probably less cartridge limitations? I'm sure the HD remake I'm playing made it look more the same as the others, too.

Okay, right away the opening cinematic is faster and more dynamic than previous episodes. Screenshots and animations are not going to do this one justice, so I really recommend you watch this video link to see it for yourself. It's only 45 seconds long.

Music: Rise from the Ashes

Sound: Scary Thudding

Knocking? Is that a door or a window flying by?

Sound: Rain

A larger city than I thought we were in, and apparently a rainstorm.

Sound: Rain + Thunder

Ok, a thunderstorm. (I've come up with a new notation for simultaneous sound effects here, to distinguish it from two successive sound effects. I'm sure it will only matter to me.)

Sound: Rain + Thunder 2

Sound: Thunder 2

Looks like we have a good old-fashioned stabbing on our hands today. The music really kicks in here, though the official soundtrack includes all the earlier sound effects from the very start of the update. Really, just go watch the video.

...Or is it two stabbings, at different locations, at the same time?

And we're back to looking out over this large city again.

Sound: Rain + Thunder

Sound: Toss
Sound: Spinny
Sound: Shatter 2
Sound: Guilty

Uh, potentially a lot to unpack in that one, if you're inclined to watch it over and over. That broken vase in particular reminds me of the broken glass lamp in Episode 2.

Sound: Thunder 3

So, is this scene like Episode 2, where we saw the killer? Or is it like Episode 4, where we saw our future client? I'm betting more on the latter. Is that even the same person's hand on the knife there?

Music: Recollection ~ The SL-9 Incident

With the new track kicking in, the prologue opening scene is over, but I'll keep the update going until we're given full control. Just to recap for you, in that 40 opening seconds we had two new tracks, eight new sound effects, and way fancier animations. They didn't waste any time making use of the extra space on the DS cartridge, did they?

Two months without a single trial.

I've had offers... But none I took.

I hope Edgeworth paid well, two months is a long time to go without paying work again. I guess he's just not feeling up to it with Maya gone.

Still the same old office! I bet we'll get a lot of new sets later in this episode, though!

(It's not like I want to work...)

(I'm kind of relieved to hear the old stand-by light bulb effect, to be honest.)

New character!

Music: Ema Skye ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

Um... who are you?

It doesn't matter who I am! It only matters who YOU are!

Okay, that line was truly great.

I'm sorry but Ms. Mia Fey no longer... works here.

That's one way to put it.

This lady just won't stand still.

I'm Phoenix Wright... A defense attorney.

I swear I'm not trying to animate all of her lines, but she keeps moving around on me. Have you counted the unique sprites yet? And she has her own theme music? I smell a major character here.

You're THE Phoenix Wright!?

Um, yes, that's correct. (It wasn't Edgeworth who was murdered, though.)

Hey look, we got a little bit of fame out of that last case. Technically, Phoenix, we did solve the murder of an Edgeworth in that case as well!

I'm sorry... I'm afraid I'm not taking cases right now.

The undefeated defense attorney?

Look, I'm not accepting any new cases.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to try elsewhere.

But...

Sound: Wipe

Sound: Wipe

Okay. I'll hear you out.

R-really!?

Thank you so much!

(Scientific investigator?)

In case you haven't figured out the incredibly un-subtle pattern here, Ema Skye is a Maya-Mirror.

She's almost the same age, but a science-assistant for us instead of a spirit-assistant. She needs help with her sister, who is probably the client rather than the victim this time. Even her soundtrack shares the "Turnabout Sisters Theme" name, and sounds like an alternate version of Maya's track. And if you look closely, a lot of her sprites either match Maya's, or are mirrors of them:

I don't know, maybe I've just been staring at sprites for too long. Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out more as we go along. Is Ema here to just be a replacement/alternate Maya? Or will the theme pay off as the plot unfolds somehow?

Anyway, next time we'll begin our investigation and learn some more about Ema Skye.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Huh. I always referred to Ema as "a Maya", but I didn't realize how literal that was.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

In case you haven't figured out the incredibly un-subtle pattern here, Ema Skye is a Maya-Mirror.

The awful truth: Phoenix isn't able to investigate murders without a spunky, comic foil to work alongside.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Quackles posted:

The awful truth: Phoenix isn't able to investigate murders without a spunky, comic foil to work alongside.

He made a promise to Mia that he wouldn't take cases without one.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
spoiler removed

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 22, 2023

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Technically....

Sure, but I don't know that, and that's really a spoiler. Please remove it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think they tried a few things with this episode's plot that don't really work out, but I'm looking forward to seeing you go through it. It's still a pretty spectacular one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

For all the critiques I remember of this case, it's far from the worst one.

And I hadn't actually seen just how similar Maya and Emma were until you posted them side-by-side.

poo poo, even their names are a rearranging of the letter-sounds.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 22, 2023

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It's a really good case. Just really long.

Ema is great! She's very much like Maya visually, and they even share the syllable count and structure of their names!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Nice to see someone acknowledge Phoenix as undefeated.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Looking forward to seeing your reactions to this case as you go through it.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 118: Episode 5, Day 1, Investigation: Skye

All right, let's talk to Ms. Ema Skye!

Well, come on, where did you think we were gonna start?

See this? It's my Attorney's Badge.

Nope not making that joke.

:stare: Come on game stop tempting me with straight lines.

(She analyzed it. Scientifically...)

Sorry, but it's not for sale. Yet...

Right, let's just talk.

Ema, was it? So you're a "scientific investigator"?

No, it's just, you seem kind of, er, jumpy. Or maybe just... young?

Young?

Oh, I see... wait! Only sixteen!?

It's hard to show off in an animation, but the screen-shaking effect for emphasis is much more subtle in this episode. I think I prefer it this way.

Um, so what exactly is your current position, then?

Well, legally speaking...

But I'm ready to do my job! At my age, no less!

(Great, another future professional in training...)

The game is trying real hard to make me care about Ema but I'm not really feeling it yet.

So what's this about a case? You said the trial's tomorrow?

I don't care if there's a witness who saw her do it! She didn't do it!

I don't usually screenshot Phoenix's investigation lines like this one, but I like capturing Ema's reactions here.

Right... I suppose I will.

(That's interesting...)

(How would she know Mia?)

More topics!

So, you want to be a scientific investigator when you grow up, then?

E-excuse me?

Still, it's good to have a goal. Albeit a very unusual one.

Her science-glasses are tinted. I don't know what to make of that yet.

Don't you?

Uh, yeah. (Sure can't fault her for a lack of enthusiasm.)

I've got some bad news for you. Our last few cases have depended more on ghostly intervention than science.

Your sister...?

I've been doing research, you know!

For some reason, when I was playing it was this line that really cemented the idea of Ema as a Maya-Mirror, though it was even more obvious when I went to write up the last update. Like it really became clear that Ema was here to be our investigation sidekick for the episode.

I'll show you when I'm done!

I'm looking forward to it.

(Guess I should get down to the Detention Center and talk to her sister.)

My sister asked for Mia specifically.

(So they went to the same school, huh.)

And, well...

I need one.

Um, incidentally, Mia is a woman.

Well, it's nice of you to help your sister out like this. You must be close.

?

Well...

(Huh?)

But... But she's my only family.

Your only family? What about your parents?

Oh... I'm sorry.

Let's have a quick look around and see if anything changed for the new episode.

Looks like it's cleaning day again at the hotel across the way.

Egads! The bellboy was staring right at me.

Mia's plant, "Charley."

I've been taking care of him in Maya's absence.

There's a poster of the Steel Samurai on the wall.

I didn't have the heart to take it down.

I do sometimes get strange looks from clients, though.

I squinted real hard but couldn't see any actual difference in the picture.

Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me.

I tried reading one, and it made my head hurt.

I think those lines are actually the same as before.

Mia's desk.

I ought to at least dust it off once in a while.

Phoenix is totally depressed.

We only have one destination. We didn't actually need to talk to Ema at all to unlock it, either. Let's go meet the sister.

(Hmm, I wonder what's wrong with Ema?)

(She got quiet all of a sudden as soon as we arrived.)

Phoenix has the emotional awareness of an 80's sitcom husband.

S-s-s-sorry, ma'am! It's j-j-just, your sister...

No excuses!

Ema's sister sounds like a real peach. Reminds me of Edgeworth threatening Gumshoe on the stand.

U-u-u-understood, ma'am!

Wh-wh-wh-what was that all about?)

I do love the effect of having our client refuse to even look at us.

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

H-hi, Lana.

Funny.

She sounds a lot like Edgeworth on the first day of the last episode.

Perhaps my memory is failing?

L-look...

I didn't want to come here either, okay?

I'll be the one in court tomorrow. This has nothing to do with you, Ema.

Hey! How do you know me?

Mia mentioned you.

I've heard... quite a bit.

Er, I'm sorry. What exactly is it that you do...?

My name is Lana, Lana Skye.

Here we seem to have a Mia-Mirror. She has a more military-style outfit, complete with medals (and a fully-buttoned jacket). She's a prosecutor rather than a defense attorney. She is, at least so far, serious and minimally expressive as opposed to Mia's warmer and looser style, though that could be partly from her current situation. Lana's relationship to her sister seems to be somewhat strained. We'll probably see more as we go. But let's pause on that "Chief Prosecutor" bit. Episode 2 was a long time ago, but wasn't it the Chief Prosecutor that Redd White called to have us arrested? In fact, let's flash back:

White? That you? What are you doing calling me at a time like this?

Hello. Chief Prosecutor?

I've changed my mind. I want to testify tomorrow.

What's this about?

The Mia Fey case. I witnessed the murder, you see.

And, thus, as a very important witness, I would like to testify.

What? Why now? I thought you said you didn't want to go to court?

Quietude...! I told you I changed my mind, didn't I?

Oh, and one other thing.

Sent the police over here right away.

The man is standing right in front of me. He looks dazed but could be violent!

What? What man?

The executioner! The hatchet-man! The liquidator... The killer, man!

What!?

Mr. White... this isn't another one of those...

Chief Prosecutor.

I do not believe you are in a position to freely offer your opinions to me, correct?

I'm telling you to send the police, now!

So is Lana the same Chief Prosecutor from back then, five months ago? I'm thinking probably not, given the little context I have now. Let's say that maybe the Chief Prosecutor back then was driven out after their connections to Redd White were revealed. Maybe we'll find out more if I just let the current episode play out...

Y-you're a prosecutor!?

Yes, yes, really have to make sure to drill the obvious comparison into the player I guess.

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

All right, where to start...

Lana's profile seems like a good spot. A couple years older than Mia, as we already knew. Awfully young for a Chief Prosecutor?

The camera is always the same, but the guard here produces a slightly different line, as usual.

This guard monitors the visitor's room.

I'm feeling a bit chilly myself.

Let's show off the ol' badge.

Your badge looks new.

I polish it daily.

In a few years, the gold plating will flake off.

(Gah! What ever happened to innocent small talk!?)

A lot of cynicism packed into a few lines there.

A few straightforward conversation topics here.

There's something you should know from the start.

W-which is?

:sigh: Gotta love these super helpful clients of ours.

Huh?

Me. I did it.

Well, Mr. Wright?

Well... why don't you begin by telling me exactly what happened.

That's quite specific.

It was in the witness's deposition.

Uh... My, that was a bit of bad luck, wasn't it?

The Prosecutor's Office, huh? (In your subordinate's car trunk? Classy...)

(Well, that's just great...)

What is it about the prosecutors in this game that makes them in such a hurry to confess to things?

So, who was the victim?

Well, that's not going to be good for us.

I suppose the correct term is "Detective."

A detective...?

By... you?

The prologue hinted at a duality in the murder - two stabbings, as it were. Maybe the wound Lana inflicted wasn't actually the killing blow, and the victim got stabbed in the same place by someone else before or afterwards?

I see...

I'm guessing the police won't be real helpful to us in this episode.

You know what that means,

don't you?

Uh oh!

Well, it means...

They will use any means at their disposal to do so.

(This case gets worse and worse with everything I learn.)

We're off to a great start.

So, you're the Chief Prosecutor?

That is correct.

I make sure the prosecutors have what they need to do the job, and manage every aspect.

Those are my responsibilities, in a nutshell.

(That's an awfully large nutshell.)

Still, I'm a little surprised.

Huh?

Don't underestimate Phoenix's ignorance and unwillingness to correct it. He still has a lot of legal textbooks in his office he hasn't read.

Oh, this?

Huh?

This side-eye sprite is making she think she's lying whenever she does it, though she also seems to use it for remembering something in general. If she's the same Chief Prosecutor as from Episode 2, maybe she's still being blackmailed into confessing to this crime?

(How am I supposed to defend this!?)

(Time to change the subject...)

(Wait, she was in the class ahead of Mia, wasn't she...?)

We unlock this next topic upon completing the prior one, even if we hadn't talked to Ema at all back at our office.

Um, you were in school with Mia, correct?

A few years above her?

... Ema told you that, too, did she?

Although it seems he has very little in common with Mia...

(Hey!)

She was different than the other students.

Different?

That... was probably why she was attracted to me.

E-excuse me!?

I was the best there was.

Oh...

She's speaking about herself in the past tense. Probably not a good sign.

Once we've exhausted all four topics, we're treated to a new scene.

Well, Mr. Wright?

E-excuse me?

I think it's safe to say...

there's no way you can take this case. None.

B-but, Lana!

Music: Recollection ~ The SL-9 Incident

You never think of anyone but yourself.

...!

So...

So how can you say you did!?

If I lose you...

I...

I hate you, Lana!

Mr. Wright?

Y-yes?

The rest... I leave to you.

...!

Um... you mean, you're requesting my services as your defense?

Right... I'll do what I can to get to the bottom of this.

(But something doesn't fit.)

We're automatically taken back to the office.

Huh? About what?

I just never expected to be defending another prosecutor again.

She's changed a lot.

I see... (Sorry, but I'm having trouble imagining that.)

What happened to her?

I think maybe she... Well, maybe not.

(Sounds like there's something there that defies a simple scientific explanation.)

Let's go check out this underground parking at the Prosecutor's Office, shall we?

Sure enough, the parking garage is our next (and only) destination. (The detention center is just empty if we go back there.) Next time we'll get to see the (alleged) scene of the crime!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Welp, the accused confessed. That's an awfully short case! Should be wrapped up in what, 1 investigation update and one courtroom update?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I recall hearing the terms used for the "Chief Prosecutor" in chapter 2 and Lana are different, somehow.

How are they different? Uh...someone with full knowledge of the Japanese script would have to tell you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is a bit of an interesting situation, because the idea that Redd White could potentially have dirt on Lana isn't unreasonable. That said, the character bleeps used for the person White talks to were male, they apparently have a different title in Japanese, and...

the language he uses when speaking suggests that it was intended to be a man.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I could swear the Chief Prosecutor from case 2 is a man, and I don't know why I am convinced of this. Maybe the Interphone voice uses the deeper, "masculine" voice blips, while Lana uses the higher, "feminine" voice blips?

E: yeah okay that was it

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 26, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This is a bit of an interesting situation, because the idea that Redd White could potentially have dirt on Lana isn't unreasonable. That said, the character bleeps used for the person White talks to were male, they apparently have a different title in Japanese, and...

the language he uses when speaking suggests that it was intended to be a man.

It gets weirder when you remember the DS title was the first English localization of the game, so they would have had access to a broader view of the story than the original developers did writing new stuff up as they went in each game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, Lana's line about the badge mirrors something Mia said to Maya before she died.

Tree Reformat posted:

It gets weirder when you remember the DS title was the first English localization of the game, so they would have had access to a broader view of the story than the original developers did writing new stuff up as they went in each game.

I could believe that. There's at least one localization in AA1 that definitely feels like it was written with later games in mind.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DKII posted:

Her science-glasses are tinted. I don't know what to make of that yet.

They're literally rose-tinted glasses.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If I was on trial and the prosecutor showed up wearing epaulettes and medals, I'd be very worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

davidspackage posted:

If I was on trial and the prosecutor showed up wearing epaulettes and medals, I'd be very worried.

What if the prosecutor showed up wearing a cravat?