Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
God this bad game has sucked me back in. I feel like I enjoy 1 match out of 4 but that one match is really good.

I don’t enjoy either of the brown, trash everywhere maps. Stranded and desolated? I can’t really put my finger on it, because I like other open maps, but I generally don’t have a good time playing on the ship map.

I also sort of miss the ‘cha-Ching’ sound I got when I killed a guy in bf1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Stranded is fine but the shipping yard one is straight loving garbage. Always quit out if that comes up.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
BF1 headshots were the audio high point of the series.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

No that was the entire aural experience of bc2

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Stranded is fine but the shipping yard one is straight loving garbage. Always quit out if that comes up.

That's mainly for 3 reasons imo.
The long travel time around or up the hill to get to those points, the fact that 2/3rds of the team will be fighting up there all the time, completely ignoring all other flags, and the annoying gameplay on the points beneath the cranes because there are always wookies up there and even if you manage to secure these flags, inevitably someone will parachute down and retake them as soon as you leave.

That map is a prime example of dices bad ideas about vertical gameplay.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I hope I'm not the only one who liked the 2042 headshot sound before the change. It was like a mix of a garand ping and sword sheathing sound effect. Incredibly satisfying and I don't understand why they changed it. Did people think the original sucked?

Speaking of soundscapes, I liked BF4 the most. Just ALL LOUD ALL THE TIME especially indoors. Felt like it sounded like an actual firefight (within reason so it wasn't deafening of course)

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 3, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

kri kri posted:

No that was the entire aural experience of bc2

War Tapes was a muddy sound mix but it did scratch that itch

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hopper posted:

The long travel time around or up the hill to get to those points, the fact that 2/3rds of the team will be fighting up there all the time, completely ignoring all other flags, and the annoying gameplay on the points beneath the cranes because there are always wookies up there and even if you manage to secure these flags, inevitably someone will parachute down and retake them as soon as you leave.

Manifest is a great Breakthrough map and the worst Conquest map. I will not be taking questions.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Manifest is a great Breakthrough map and the worst Conquest map. I will not be taking questions.

Worst conquest map is every map, since conquest is a terrible mode

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Hopper posted:

It will be interesting to see the reworked version that is supposed to come out soon. They removed a few of the cranes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILzSJehTK7Q&t=191s at 3:11.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 3, 2022

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I don’t enjoy either of the brown, trash everywhere maps. Stranded and desolated? I can’t really put my finger on it, because I like other open maps, but I generally don’t have a good time playing on the ship map.

You're definitely not alone on that one. It's my opinion they shoveled out those maps because they already had the assets (they just slapped a rusty boat on terrain that was already created). I hate Stranded because it's the epitome their bad map design choices.

Exodus Conquest is an objectively good gamemode contrary to any previous incorrect posts. It's got some good maps that the current team didnt design.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

kri kri posted:

Worst conquest map is every map, since conquest is a terrible mode

Conquest rules because it isn’t subject to weird vehicle restrictions like “ok here team A can have 1 air, team B no air, but at the next point, team B gets 2 air and a tank.” It gets annoying when picking load outs. On some points I run pure AA, but if the point moves, I have to switch back to my M5 build.

Vehicles are cool and good, and conquest is the best for maximum vehicle carnage.

And a ton of vertical fighting would be fine if you didn’t have a million players with controllers with limited ability to look up in a timely matter so they just get melted.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 3, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

Exodus Conquest is an objectively good gamemode contrary to any previous incorrect posts. It's got some good maps that the current team didnt design.

I am having a ton of fun with it and will be mad if they take it away and take those maps out of circulation.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Jeff Fatwood posted:

All I know is that my performance took a nosedive compared to just a few days ago. It is just markedly worse. 64 player matches feel like 128 matches once again. And it was noticeable to me because I spent the last two weeks thinking "wow, the game sure has improved compared to year ago"

I played a string of exodus matches that ran like crap, I'll probably wait until the free weekend is over to play again. It's not a very good representation of the game for the free weekend, but also a good representation of the game.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I had a weird issue where it would kinda chug when it shouldn't and any menu in-match caused issues. Swapped it onto a different hard drive - both identical - and it's running much better again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of these days I'll learn that I need to stick to LMGs. I played some early this afternoon with my friend, and got extremely mad and frustrated playing with the AC42 (which is probably my favorite assault rifle, but I still suck rear end with it in any situation that isn't "killing people from range with it fully silenced"). Feel bad for my friend having to listen to me be like "I shot that guy like 10 times why is he not dead" or when I was ranting about an invisible wall above this mound of snow on the snow map (this was actually genuinely kind of bullshit tho; there was hit detection a good foot or so above the snow).

After unlocking the portal gun (which is why I was using the AC42 to start with) I went back to using an LMG (the PKP in this case) and started doing good again. I basically have to use LMGs to compensate for how hard of a time I have seeing enemies in FPSes; the LMG helps because I can just fire a constant stream towards where I think a guy is without worrying about expending my magazine.

I've been arbitrarily sticking to the PKP - I decided to try to gradually make it my first Tier 1 gun, even though I don't really have a preference between it and the LCMG/Avancys. The Avancys is amazing, but so many people use it that I want to focus on something else. I really like that you can go silenced with the LCMG, but the PKP feels a bit better for having to respond to guys in closer range (and I usually end up in those situations more often since I always play with my friend and he always goes on the offense).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played a bunch of rounds on Spearhead tonight. The rail gun sucks because of the delay against human players. I unlocked a bunch of attachments vs AI, but against humans, it pretty much sucks. The YouTube videos where they’re downing helicopters and poo poo are super unrealistic. I think they’re cherry-picking clips where the choppers have 7% health left. It’s super easily for a chopper to fly around the Ikeas to break LOS and let flares regen. I tried taking down transport choppers with Angel and AA, but I could never get more than mayyyybe one hit before it ducked behind an IKEA.

The rail tank, on the other hand, is loving idiotic. As a soldier, in a vehicle, in a chopper, that MF can 1-shot people like crazy. I’ve been in so many choppers, tonight alone, where we got 1-shot (or it seemed so) and kablooie.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah well, given that in Breakthrough you force people to concentrate on 2 flags max at a time it is not hard to see how travel time between flags and "trap flags" like the hilltop here or the flags inside IKEA on the new map don't really matter.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Played a bunch of rounds on Spearhead tonight. The rail gun sucks because of the delay against human players. I unlocked a bunch of attachments vs AI, but against humans, it pretty much sucks. The YouTube videos where they’re downing helicopters and poo poo are super unrealistic. I think they’re cherry-picking clips where the choppers have 7% health left. It’s super easily for a chopper to fly around the Ikeas to break LOS and let flares regen. I tried taking down transport choppers with Angel and AA, but I could never get more than mayyyybe one hit before it ducked behind an IKEA.

Counterpoint: it's stupid, broken and the best sniper rifle in the game that also works as an assault rifle for some reason. Once you get past a certain point, you stop losing sniper duels and you can just start racking up free kills across the map. It was fun for me for a few days (probably extremely unfun for the people on the other end) but I didn't have the stomach to grind it to T1.

I think there's a few reasons it hasn't become gamebreakingly annoying for everyone. It's counterintuitive to regular sniper rifles (a learning curve, gasp) and there's a lot of players now who haven't unlocked it. Another reason might be because there's so many other meta guns in the game that it just gets tossed on the pile. There's so much other types of stupid bullshit you can die to that it doesn't register lol

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

The rail tank, on the other hand, is loving idiotic. As a soldier, in a vehicle, in a chopper, that MF can 1-shot people like crazy. I’ve been in so many choppers, tonight alone, where we got 1-shot (or it seemed so) and kablooie.

the rail tank has pretty much zero splash so those instances as infantry where you're getting one shot by it, would be a one shot with the regular tanks.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

New possible Vault weapons

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1599382748539805696

Might be Squad Contracts too? Speculation based on power weapons and an airstrike gadget references found in 3.0

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1598300895220858880

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
only took them a year to remember the other games rewarded people for playing as a squad

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Counterpoint: it's stupid, broken and the best sniper rifle in the game that also works as an assault rifle for some reason. Once you get past a certain point, you stop losing sniper duels and you can just start racking up free kills across the map. It was fun for me for a few days (probably extremely unfun for the people on the other end) but I didn't have the stomach to grind it to T1.

I think there's a few reasons it hasn't become gamebreakingly annoying for everyone. It's counterintuitive to regular sniper rifles (a learning curve, gasp) and there's a lot of players now who haven't unlocked it. Another reason might be because there's so many other meta guns in the game that it just gets tossed on the pile. There's so much other types of stupid bullshit you can die to that it doesn't register lol

Yeah I didn't like it at first but once I got the timing down that thing became a laser pointer of death. Suddenly finishing in the top 3 of kills in matches.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I guess it’s another one of those things where it would be super easier on a KB+M than my ps5 controller.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I didn't like it at first but once I got the timing down that thing became a laser pointer of death. Suddenly finishing in the top 3 of kills in matches.

Yeah, just slap on that 6x scope and go to town on any wookie. Also exploding tanks and other vehicles works if you do a 1-2-3 combo with M5 and then finish then off with the rail gun. Yeha it's more difficult to pull off than videos suggest, but it is so rewarding to play hide and rocket and actually succeed.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I barely ever get killed by the railgun, personally. If it is working as anti-sniper than I'm all for it at this point.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
I’m not a big fan of it, but I have noticed that the people who get ‘most kills’ at the end of the match seem to be using it 70% of the time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone been using the new shotgun? I haven't unlocked it yet, but my friend did and says that it's very good, aside from a long reload time.

I barely ever get killed by the railgun, personally. If it is working as anti-sniper than I'm all for it at this point.

Yeah, complaints about it are a bit confusing because I don't get killed by it much at all.

The Avancys is the only gun recently where I've thought "this seems a bit too strong" (often from the perspective of me using it, where it just feels like an LMG with the typical weaknesses of the gun type reduced a bunch).

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone been using the new shotgun? I haven't unlocked it yet, but my friend did and says that it's very good, aside from a long reload time.

Yeah, complaints about it are a bit confusing because I don't get killed by it much at all.

The Avancys is the only gun recently where I've thought "this seems a bit too strong" (often from the perspective of me using it, where it just feels like an LMG with the typical weaknesses of the gun type reduced a bunch).

It's pretty broken. Flechettes can one hit kill from what I understand. It's especially baffling since they nerfed the pump action to the ground. Literally 3 hits to kill now.

I like how Dice nerfed the SWS by removing it's close range OHK to body but immediately introduced a shotgun and throwing knives that do the same thing. I'm pretty sure I've died to the knives through body armor from full health. The pistol might have been intended as a more accurate Glock contender as well but it's bugged and it's rate of fire can vary from shot to shot wildly so it's not very reliable.

I know the meme is to introduce broken weapons to get people to come back again but it sure makes the game way more toxic than it needs to be. Almost as if just making a game that works would be better instead of relying on horseshit to boost numbers.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Broadlybrowsing posted:

God this bad game has sucked me back in. I feel like I enjoy 1 match out of 4 but that one match is really good.

Pretty much where I'm at. I'll have one or two games where every single shot hits, I end the round top 3 and the very next string of games nothing connects and the mouse feels inconsistent.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1600158601510690818

Full update notes:

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/battlefield/battlefield-2042/news/battlefield-2042-update-notes-3-1-0

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

20 LMG kills in a round to unlock the M240B? gently caress off, I could barely get the weekly mission where you had to do 12 kills in one round. Yes I'm bad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

20 LMG kills in a round to unlock the M240B? gently caress off, I could barely get the weekly mission where you had to do 12 kills in one round. Yes I'm bad.

Not sure but AI kills may also work.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
They do. I unlock most things in solo before jumping in multiplayer just to get a feel for stuff in a no pressure environment.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

3.1.0 Patch notes posted:

Solo & Co-Op XP Changes
- Enabled all Ribbons, but at 40% XP value.
- Doubled "Round Actions" XP cap, but each action gives 50% reduced XP. 

Speaking of solo, ribbons are now active on solo which is nice. Gives some reason to do some varied play. I don't get why they halve XP but double rewarded actions though, seems like a pointless change.

-
Update is live, btw.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I think they actually fixed the game; the mouse lag is reduced, it runs better in general and the 64 player servers are running better.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Everyone is sniping now that you can actually aim lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Everyone is sniping now that you can actually aim lol

Once again the weekly challenges made some lobbies in to some of the most insufferable shitfests lmao. The first game I joined last night was a quite... noticeable amount of railguns blasting away on each side, flashbangs flying and a minimum of five casper drones in the sky at any given moment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nash posted:

BF1 headshots were the audio high point of the series.

I still go back to this game often. Between the headshot PING and the constant artillery barrage around you at all times, it's still my favorite Battlefield.

I really miss capturing a set of objectives in Operations, and there's a whistle to move on, and then the music swells up and everybody yells as they charge, and I tell you what, in that moment I'm IN the loving Ottoman Army. They haven't done anything else since that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

CornHolio posted:

I still go back to this game often. Between the headshot PING and the constant artillery barrage around you at all times, it's still my favorite Battlefield.

I really miss capturing a set of objectives in Operations, and there's a whistle to move on, and then the music swells up and everybody yells as they charge, and I tell you what, in that moment I'm IN the loving Ottoman Army. They haven't done anything else since that great.

:hai: correct