Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Does anyone have the post from the guy who didn't know how to have his hero win a battle because it wouldn't be realistic for the hero to have a fourth health potion in his pack, given his poor family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

The middle East is a desert.... duh... didn't you ever watch The Mummy?

So they live in a desert and yet can somehow produce enough water to make towns' worth of mud? If that's the case, fighting sounds like the stupid course of action: we may have nukes, but they've got miracles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo posted:

I've mentioned it before, I'm sure it won't be the last time, this is the same site where someone sincerely asked whether it was possible to karate-chop someone's head off. Like whether if you got the angle or the speed right, you could take your hand and slice a dude. When presented with the physical logistics that plainly said "No" he kept coming back with "Well what if there was [convoluted condition]" Dude just really wanted to slap-chop some heads.

It's also the site where a guy boasted of "self-teaching himself to be a master swordsman" (with a broom handle) despite having "no training beyond a crapton of anime", and went on to explain how he was teaching his brother to use "small, nodachi-sized weapons".

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BKPR posted:

Does anyone have the post from the guy who didn't know how to have his hero win a battle because it wouldn't be realistic for the hero to have a fourth health potion in his pack, given his poor family?

You forgot the bit where his girlfriend was a guaranteed drop from the boss monster.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

BKPR posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569947&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post419449456

Puppy Dog Grinder 6870 posted:

So, at the end of Issue One of my current story, the main character has been injured by various fights with Mooks and also a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere. He then gets into a fight with the Big Bad (of issue one). My problem is that the main character doesn't have enough health potions to recover enough health to win this last fight. Furthermore, it's absolutely vital for the plot of future Issues that he win this fight, because he gets his Yandere girlfriend as a Random Drop at the end of the fight, completing the Battle Couple. So how should I fix the discrepancy?

The solutions I've thought of so far are:

*Increase the main character's number of starting health potions (but I don't think his family could really afford more, he is impoverished, after all)
*Have him find a Deus Ex Machina Infinity Plus One Sword by random luck (but it'd have to be a one-time-use item or else it'd mess up the battles in future issues!)
*Maybe the main character can keep grinding on random Mooks longer and get more health potions first?

Any help is absolutely appreciated; this story is really close to my heart. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Major Tom's stated position on the Middle East was "nuke it all to glass, down to the last mud hovel".

Did you know Endless Conflict can only be found on the Darthwiki? Everything redirects over there. I've never looked at it before, but it looks like someone has been vandalising it. Or was he attempting humor?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Darth TNT posted:

Did you know Endless Conflict can only be found on the Darthwiki? Everything redirects over there. I've never looked at it before, but it looks like someone has been vandalising it. Or was he attempting humor?
It's neither vandalism nor self-deprecation; what happened was that Major Tom actually managed to annoy Tropers into hating his bullshit by consensus. :aaaaa:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metal Loaf posted:

It's also the site where a guy boasted of "self-teaching himself to be a master swordsman" (with a broom handle) despite having "no training beyond a crapton of anime", and went on to explain how he was teaching his brother to use "small, nodachi-sized weapons".

For those not familiar with Japanese sword names, by the way, a nodachi/odachi is freaking enormous. The blade alone is about three feet long, and they also have pretty long handles (about another foot) to allow for better grip/leverage. Besides the ceremonial use, they were used for things like fighting from horseback, cleaving through armored people (plural, at once), and according to one questionably-accurate source I heard, against cavalry as they could cleave through horses (and their riders). Given their ridiculous length, though, they probably weren't really used much since they'd be even harder to forge than a normal sword and a spear would be better for most purposes anyway. They were seriously impractical, if neat in theory.

Basically, these are real-life giant anime swords; some samurai literally had other people help them draw these things because they were too loving big to quickly unsheathe on one's own. It is about as far from a small sword as you can get. TVT's master swordsman here has no idea what the gently caress he's talking about. It'd be unsurprising but Japanophilia is usually one of the few areas they at least manage to be generally accurate about.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Roland Jones posted:

cleaving through armored people (plural, at once)
Well, of course. This is, after all, a Japanese sword. :allears:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Well, of course. This is, after all, a Japanese sword. :allears:

Well, there's also the fact that Japanese armor was kind of crap (leather or crappy metal, and really, all Japanese metalwork was made of poor-quality metal; that's actually why katanas and such were forged how they were, making something useful out of that poo poo was hard), and again, these things were ridiculously large. Again, about three feet of blade and a handle so large your hands were nearly a foot from each other; there's some serious leverage there. Almost no one actually used these things because between the difficulty of making them, how easy it was to damage or break a sword that big (especially one made out of lovely metal), and just how hard to use they were, it really wasn't worth it.

Though, yeah, Japanese swords were sharp as hell. Brittle, made of crap metal, and way too hard to forge for what you got, but really, really sharp. Which was the whole point of how they were made, really.

Edit: Whoops, getting off-topic though. This is only tangentially relevant to TVT. Though given their Japan/katana fetishism I wonder how they'd react if they got told these things, how katanas (while admittedly expertly made) were pretty crap and were mainly useful because the armor they had to cut through was equally crap and a great deal of their importance was basically as symbols of being a rich fucker from the noble class.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 19, 2014

• Locked thread