Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Kurieg posted:

They were trying to adhere to the conceit of them being "dresses" though Rikku's is really stretching that definition as it stands.

I'm aware. And they really ought to have gone with one of Rikku's other Ultimate Dress sphere concepts instead. Though if they wanted to keep the Giant robot, they could have made it more of a suit. I mean, they already gave her a Zero suit, so they might as well take the homage whole hog.

As for Paine, they should have made her look more inhuman, sort of like how they did with Yuna's Floral Fallal where she looked slightly not human and plant like to go with the theme. Paine could have looked more bird/ blade like, instead of just Paine.

Also, watching the Summons video, it feels like Snow and Sazh's vehicle forms had the least effort put into them, since there's no moving parts on the vehicles themselves.

It also made me wonder what FF13 characters would be like in a Persona setting with their Eidolons as Personae, but part of that is the lateness talking.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ramengank posted:

I have a question myself, because I could never figure it out. Can you switch targets while in Gestalt mode? Seems next to impossible to stagger other enemies if you can't.

You can! I recorded these back to back and you can see that I figured it out somewhere around Bahamut, I want to say it's L2/R2?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Ryushikaze posted:

It also made me wonder what FF13 characters would be like in a Persona setting with their Eidolons as Personae, but part of that is the lateness talking.
I thought something about the way they summon Eidolons by attacking those crystals seemed familiar, and you've just made me realise why.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Those eidolons really aren't all that much help by the look of it. They could cut maybe a couple of minutes off a fight, but they're not really a superweapon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I loving lost it when I first saw that elevator rolling down the hill. Then all over again when I realized they could get back in and it would just roll up the hill as if it was ever designed to do that.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Does Alexander's machine gun laser attack absolutely destroy huge enemies much like Sazh's blitz?

Also, I only ever used Eidolons just to either 1. Reset the fight since it heals your party to full after and 2. Absolutely destroy large numbers of enemies asap. Summoning is there for when you need it occasionally.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Simply Simon posted:

I loving lost it when I first saw that elevator rolling down the hill. Then all over again when I realized they could get back in and it would just roll up the hill as if it was ever designed to do that.
Back in the day, they made elevators built to LAST, son. And they didn't need no stupid cables or tracks, either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Heh. I forgot about the whole "Habitrail Hamsterball Elevator" thing. I just remembered that Taejin's Tower was knocked over halfway up, so I thought that the elevator just followed along its track horizontally and Oerba just happened to be in walking distance of the elevator terminus at the "top" of the tower.

But nope... :stare: Thanks FFXIII. White Knight Chronicles was just getting boring now, it's nice to working proper stupid again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 42: End of the Road (Polsy) :siren:

Bonus: Summon showcase

Bonus: Adamanchelid fight

Music

The Road Home

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Their Own Worst Enemy

Callous and calculating, the fal'Cie manipulate their human tools via their emotions.

Taking Serah's form to catch the l'Cie off-balance, Barthandelus predicts the imminent destruction of Cocoon.

He has revived Raines, now a compliant puppet, and instated him as the Sanctum's new Primarch - a ploy designed to provoke the Cavalry revolutionaries into overthrowing the government in outrage at their former leader's betrayal.

The gloating fal'Cie also means to play on the Pulse-phobia of the populace to turn neighbor against neighbor, transforming Cocoon's streets into a bloodbath.

Worse, Barthandelus then describes how the Cavalry, unnoticed amid the chaos, will infiltrate Eden and fall upon Orphan, not understanding their actions will bring their world crashing down.

To prevent this disaster, the l'Cie must return to Cocoon - but isn't that what Barthandelus wanted all along?

The fal'Cie could be manipulating them again - attempting to draw them into a situation where they have no choice but to become Ragnarok and slay Orphan.

Leaving them yet another airship, Barthandelus vanishes once again. The choice to return to Cocoon and play a part in her destiny lies firmly in the hands of the l'Cie.

quote:

The Road Home

Fang and Vanille visit their home in Oerba for the first time in centuries, seeking a way to free themselves from their l'Cie curse. But what they find is a broken and empty shell of a town, half-buried in a sea of crystal dust.

Meanwhile, Cocoon, the home of their fellow l'Cie, is poised to join the village in oblivion. There, the people stand ready to slaughter each other, their minds twisted by fal'Cie illusions.

The l'Cie have no choice but to return and prevent the impending devastation. Even if every man, woman and child on the floating world regards them as mortal enemies, it is still their home.

But the shackles of the fal'Cie bind their fates...

With their Focus haunting their every step, the very act of setting foot on Cocoon might invite disaster. Yet return they must. There is a war to stop, and fal'Cie rule to overthrow.

In this darkest hour, they must hold fast to hope if they are to protect Cocoon. The time for appealing to long-departed deities, lost loved ones, or lights in the sky is past.

As the l'Cie fly towards their final destiny, they make the only choice that remains to them - a promise to be true to themselves.

quote:

People: Claire Farron

Lightning was formerly a sergeant in the Guardian Corps, Bodhum Security Regiment.

Wanting to outgrow the painful memories of her parents' death, she abandoned her childhood name 'Claire' to take up her current moniker.

Faced with a Focus that demands the destruction of Cocoon, Lightning now refuses the destiny thrust upon her by the fal'Cie, and swears to follow her own will through to the end.

To save Cocoon as her sister wished, the young woman makes a decision to return to the world that sees her and her companions as dangerous fugitives.

quote:

People: Cid Raines

During his failed attempt to overthrow fal'Cie rule, Cid Raines was cursed to become a pawn of Barthandelus. Concealing his l'Cie status as he continues to lead the Cavalry, Raines pursues his Focus of supporting and guiding Lightning and her companions along the path to Cocoon’s destruction.

After defying his Focus and falling in battle against the fugitive l'Cie, Raines turns to crystal. He is later revived by Barthandelus to serve as the new Primarch — a puppet with the sole purpose of inciting conflict among the people of Cocoon.

quote:

Analect XII: The Door of Souls

When our earthly vessels meet their end, the souls they housed must leave this world. Would the path of their migration not be the same one as our departed gods? Must they not pass through the same doorway the Divine employed to reach that place that lies beyond?

If this is the case, it stands to reason that, should a great many lives at once be cut short, a flood of souls would surge through the aforementioned portal. The Door would be thrown wide, and perhaps we might even glimpse the gleaming light of Divinity beyond.

-On the Nature of fal'Cie

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
On my first time playing, Barthandelus was a roadblock and a half for me, I didn't do any real sidequesting, I just followed the quest markers, and I got my arse handed to me badly by him.

I then spent nearly an hour grinding in Oerba after, and I got him then. :v:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Sazh's face upon seeing Serah is about the face I make through most of this game. Eyebrow cocked, squinting suspiciously, mumbling "uhhhhhhhhh".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Barthandelus was a really dumb fight for me. I scraped through it after basically seven to eight tries with varying party combinations, including using Odin to stall out the Doom timer.

Getting Hope Ruin really helped, I'll admit.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure exactly how Barthandelus can disguise himself as a normal-sized human, but it kind of makes me think of the Wizard of Oz. Except in reverse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Edit: Need to finish videos before posting.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Quantum Toast posted:

I'm not sure exactly how Barthandelus can disguise himself as a normal-sized human, but it kind of makes me think of the Wizard of Oz. Except in reverse.

Since the Space Pope is a terrifying giant robot monster, being able to use magic to shift into human form probably makes it less scary for mere mortals, however, he is one of the only Fal'cie to do this in the series, being the Pope must have its perks.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what was Bart doing disguised as Sera before the group showed up?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

My question is more about why he decided to disguise himself as a teenage girl.

Phase 1 - Turn into girl
Phase 2 - ???? (who am I kidding, we know it was to gently caress Snow)
Phase 3 - Destroy Cocoon? (Get laid!)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

My question is more about why he decided to disguise himself as a teenage girl.

Phase 1 - Turn into girl
Phase 2 - ???? (who am I kidding, we know it was to gently caress Snow)
Phase 3 - Destroy Cocoon? (Get laid!)

The primary directive of all Fal'cie is to gently caress around with puny humans, even the ones who's only purpose is to open doors or flush the toilets, Barthandelus is just the biggest troll of them all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
robo popes know nothing about human emotion

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

The primary directive of all Fal'cie is to gently caress around with puny humans, even the ones who's only purpose is to open doors or flush the toilets, Barthandelus is just the biggest troll of them all.

Literally gently caress Snow, not gently caress with him. That is honestly the only reason for being Serah.

He could have been Dahj, or Hell, be an actually clever person and transform into the other Calvary guy. He could say "Cid's turned evil (like nearly every other FF the real bad guy has emerged at the last minute) come to Cocoon to help us defeat Pope Robopope II." Wouldn't even need to turn into his giant head cheat mode then. Unless the party grew a brain when he tried to get them onto the Owl-ship and smell a trap for once.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Yeah the special dresspheres in FFX-2 were... special.

Are those supposed to be Omega and Shinryu?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think Bart's handling of the situation was kinda neat. He told them to go destroy Orphan and sent them to a training ground so they could do so, but then the party said "screw that" and escaped to the surface, looking for some miracle to save them. Bart could probably have stopped them at any time, but he wanted them to reach Oerba, and see for themselves that there's no hope for L'Cie. And so NOW is the right time to pop back in again, when their flame of hope is flickering out, to try and goad them into volunteering to Ragnarok Coccoon.

But then again, his boss fight seems utterly pointless due to lack of actual threat or interest. EDIT: Oh, you're overlevelled. I was wondering about your crystarium stuff since I saw that Sahz got Medic out of nowhere.

Lightning's real name of Claire might seem the most ordinary thing to US, but you said it yourself: The rest of the party's names are pretty weird. What if by Cocoon standards, Claire is considered a really weird name? :v:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I think I'm losing IQ from this game's plot. I mean, what the gently caress? Really? Could this be any dumber?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Serifina posted:

I think I'm losing IQ from this game's plot. I mean, what the gently caress? Really? Could this be any dumber?

From watching the XIII-2 LP, yes, yes it could.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Serifina posted:

Oh you poor, naive child. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Serifina posted:

Ask that question again after the next video. Seriously, I think that's even dumber than Robo Pope's fetishes.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Artix posted:

Oh you poor, naive child. :allears:

Artix, you are filling me with dread. Leave me some hope? Please? I mean, how bad can it get?

...I'm not sure I want the answer to that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Serifina posted:

In all honesty, I stopped paying attention to the plot a couple chapters ago.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Claire is probably one of the, if not THE most normal name in the entire series.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:colbert:
Cecil Harvey.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Rosa refused to give up her seat in the front of the Big Whale.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never met anyone named Cecil in person. But yeah, Cecil, Rosa, Edgar, Gilbert, and uh... Zell are the only other ones I can think of that are remotely common to the real world.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Terra Branford isn't too strange, but Tina Branford's even more normal.

Tifa isn't too strange either.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think you guys are all forgetting a certain fellow by the name of Cid. He's in a few Final Fantasy games I think.

Also what about Guy/Gus?
Maria?
Leon?
Richard/Rickard?
Leila?
Gordon?

None of you played FFII did you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The first time I'd ever heard of Zell Miller was when he threatened to duel Chris Matthews to the death on live television. And my first thought was "wait, there's actually someone named Zell in real life? :stare:"

Also, they're not protagonists or anything, but Rufus, Reno, and Elena are all fairly normal names too. Hell, Sahz's voice actor is named Reno.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you guys are all forgetting a certain fellow by the name of Cid. He's in a few Final Fantasy games I think.

Also what about Guy/Gus?
Maria?
Leon?
Richard/Rickard?
Leila?
Gordon?

None of you played FFII did you.

I'm still waiting on an LP of the Dawn of Souls remake! :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Claire!? I'm shocked by this revelation, genuinely shocked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought I read somewhere that Eclaire was the japanese name, or Éclair or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tae posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Eclaire was the japanese name, or Éclair or whatever.

It was! But then Square NA said "wow, that sounds really stupid" and changed it to Claire for the NTSC version. It means "light" in French, so in a really obtuse way, the game was prefiguring it all along by having everyone call Lightning "Light" for short.

• Locked thread