Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:frog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Boy howdy is Warcraft 3 Reforged not even remotely ready for release tomorrow if the beta is any indication.

Man, I've got my finger on the refund button if there's no day one patch that miraculously makes it run at anything above 5 fps.

Oh yeah? I thought it was literally just WC3 but with fancier models.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Well, WC3 can just stay on my wishlist then. No rush.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah? I thought it was literally just WC3 but with fancier models.
They've redone the scripting, retconned the campaign and art, rebalanced and recast the units, and rebalanced the multiplayer.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Ghostlight posted:

retconned the campaign and art,
How so?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No, it's Glittermitten Grove 2.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

no

Also, the guy saying you can mod Torchlight 2 to the gills got me to dig it out and give it another shot, and, uh...

You can only activate 10 mods at a time??? What is this poo poo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zereth posted:

Also, the guy saying you can mod Torchlight 2 to the gills got me to dig it out and give it another shot, and, uh...

You can only activate 10 mods at a time??? What is this poo poo

My first mod is... a mod that let's me activate infinite mods at a time! :smug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't know the specifics but it was something they announced they were doing - locations were going to be changed to match up with what they look like in WoW, and they were going to tweak the campaign to better line up with current WoW lore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

catlord posted:

Hm. I tried out that copy of Torchlight I got on GOG for free a while ago and it was ok, but I didn't love it. I've realised that I'm not a Diablo fan, I'm just a fan of Diablo 1, so I've been trying to find something that's more D1 than D2 and Torchlight fell more on the D2 side. How's Grim Dawn, in that way?

As someone who also loves Diablo 1 to death - though I still love the ARPGs that have come since - this is an extremely insane thing to say given that Torchlight 1 is about as Diablo 1 clone as anything has ever gotten. Granted the gameplay is a little more modern than that.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

Put it on easy and you can run around blasting. The game makes you move very fast but puts you in very tight corridors for most of it so it doesn't play well on most difficulty settings. It is absolutely worth playing to see the mocap scenes they made. The story is totally wild and the actors give it 100%, I loved every second of that stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm completely loving bored of the :rock:METAL:rock: aesthetic, but this looks like they're taking the right things from Dark Messiah, so I'm on board.

Seriously, :rock:METAL:rock: in video games has gotten boring as poo poo because it hasn't evolved since the mid-90's. It's been the same gore, pointy bits, and boring wallpaper riffs since Doom.

I lol'd because the over the top metal stuff is completely at odds with what looks like stiff melee combat right out of Dark Messiah, with a sprinkle of nu-Shadow Warrior on top. Maybe the game's fun anyway, but it's one hell of a bad contrast.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

This seems silly to me, because e.g. DUSK and AMID EVIL are both metal as gently caress yet totally different from each other

e: okay if they actually say "Metal AF" then that gets old quick, yeah

Oddly enough, I think "metal AF" is a better description of the aesthetic I was ranting about than what I wrote.

Metal, and the metal AF aesthetic, can be used properly, with DooM 2016 coming to mind, but man is it overused these days. That said, it's better than the bad old days of the mid-2000's where every piece of music in a game that was supposed to highlight an intense fight or set piece was dubstep.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just remembered that I got Shadow Warrior 2 from GOG some time back and am now happily shooting people! Though all this sidequesting is...eh...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artelier posted:

I just remembered that I got Shadow Warrior 2 from GOG some time back and am now happily shooting people! Though all this sidequesting is...eh...

It ain't great! I'd recommend just blitzing through the game as minimally as it allows you. It's fun enough but the moment you start treading off the main story the cracks yawn wider until oops bad game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shadow Warrior 1 was great then kept going, and going, and going and just slowly got more and more tedious

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

And you only got to play with the godsword for like, 30 seconds.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

journey to the savage planet is actually kinda neat. its not a discovery type games, its a whole campaign where you land on this weird planet and nee dto reseach and shoot your way through it. its very pretty and metroid like, unlocking new abilities to do more poo poo. you can also pick a dog as your character picture and you just bark and growl and stuff instead of any voiced things lol

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 28, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

queeb posted:

journey to the savage planet is actually kinda neat. its not a discovery type games, its a whole campaign where you land on this weird planet and nee dto reseach and shoot your way through it. its very pretty and metroid like, unlocking new abilities to do more poo poo

Can you throw a link in there for me to check out when I get home? This looks like my jam.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

its an epic game :(

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/journey-to-the-savage-planet/home

I just picked it up since it looked cool and I saw a trailer posted earlier in the thread i think

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

OutOfPrint posted:

Oddly enough, I think "metal AF" is a better description of the aesthetic I was ranting about than what I wrote.

Metal, and the metal AF aesthetic, can be used properly, with DooM 2016 coming to mind, but man is it overused these days. That said, it's better than the bad old days of the mid-2000's where every piece of music in a game that was supposed to highlight an intense fight or set piece was dubstep.

But if the Dubstep Plague had never happened we wouldn't have gotten the Dubstep Gun in the Saint's Row franchise, arguably the most cutting criticism of Games Industry Culture in the form of a fictional weapon ever devised.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Skrillex song in the Far Cry 3 mission where you were super high from flamethrowering a weed field was a good touch.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

queeb posted:

its an epic game :(

Why would you do this to me, in the steam thread :argh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of epic store games, how did Genesis Alpha One end up turning out? It’s out on steam in February and the bit I played on PS4 was fun but really rough around the edges.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

queeb posted:

journey to the savage planet is actually kinda neat. its not a discovery type games, its a whole campaign where you land on this weird planet and nee dto reseach and shoot your way through it. its very pretty and metroid like, unlocking new abilities to do more poo poo. you can also pick a dog as your character picture and you just bark and growl and stuff instead of any voiced things lol

That sounds pretty cool

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

queeb posted:

Thought this was an outer worlds screenshot tbh

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Orv posted:

As someone who also loves Diablo 1 to death - though I still love the ARPGs that have come since - this is an extremely insane thing to say given that Torchlight 1 is about as Diablo 1 clone as anything has ever gotten. Granted the gameplay is a little more modern than that.

Couple posts ago catlord ends up on Darkest Dungeon of all games as the best modern iteration of Diablo I. Which means catlord is looking more for theme, which is a valid thing to look for but framing it as "I'm looking for a game like Diablo I" without specifying that seems a bit off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Griefor posted:

Couple posts ago catlord ends up on Darkest Dungeon of all games as the best modern iteration of Diablo I. Which means catlord is looking more for theme, which is a valid thing to look for but framing it as "I'm looking for a game like Diablo I" without specifying that seems a bit off.

I mean I don't necessarily disagree with that from a thematic perspective but yeah, it's no big deal.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

It ain't great! I'd recommend just blitzing through the game as minimally as it allows you. It's fun enough but the moment you start treading off the main story the cracks yawn wider until oops bad game.

yeah for real. I had initial high-hopes impressions when SW2 came out when I first played it, then the more I played it the more I hated it. It's really such a mess. Just stick to the main, power through asap and don't think too much about all the inventory loot management charms, just slot +Crit Chance/Crit Damage and be done with it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shadow Warrior 2 is like 85% going out to kill bosses to upgrade your gear/stats to go out and kill harder bosses to upgrade your gear/stats to go out and you see where this is going. If you just want to play through the story because you got it cheap that’s fine but be aware that the majority of the game is just like the main story but with no voiceover.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kentucky Route Zero downloading 900 mb right now!!!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And also the main story is incredibly bad. Everything about Shadow Warrior 2 that isn't the core combat mechanics is complete trash, and even that's only good because it's basically the same thing it was in the first game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shadow warrior 2 was such an incredible disappointment

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DatonKallandor posted:

And also the main story is incredibly bad. Everything about Shadow Warrior 2 that isn't the core combat mechanics is complete trash, and even that's only good because it's basically the same thing it was in the first game.

down to the actually stripped barebones, yeah, but all the accessory and tumorous add-ons they stapled onto it were real trash. random levels, all the status effects, RNG diablo loot poo poo and inventory management, and very wishy-washy feast & famine stats made it real loving stupid going into one map deleting all with a bullet or spending 500 bullets to down something. it was just a blaze of particle effects with lightning exploding into fireballs covering entire screens of number displays to tick 0.1% an enemeies health, but not in a cool visual-orgasm way, just pure pointless clutter.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Shadow Warrior 2 was fine enough, but I'm reasonably sure everyone in this thread has a backlog they could play through instead. That would be a better use of time than playing Shadow Warrior 2.

I've been playing The Surge 2 and the jumps in quality from Lords of the Fallen, to The Surge, to The Surge 2 is like a low key version of the Witcher games'. The Surge 2 is really solid so far. The combat feels less stiff than the previous game, parrying is easier, and the locational damage system is still a great addition to the genre.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

RBA Starblade posted:

Shadow Warrior 1 was great then kept going, and going, and going and just slowly got more and more tedious

the combat mechanics are fun but the level design commits a laundry list of sins (levels that are just complex enough in their layout to make the lack of a map extremely frustrating, traversable paths that fail to visually stand out from the scenery, gated combat arenas that aren't visually indicated as such so I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why a door wouldn't open before I realized that there was one enemy I hadn't killed yet)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me, five missions into Shadow Warrior 2: IT'S CHEAT ENGINE TIME

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barry Convex posted:

the combat mechanics are fun but the level design commits a laundry list of sins (levels that are just complex enough in their layout to make the lack of a map extremely frustrating, traversable paths that fail to visually stand out from the scenery, gated combat arenas that aren't visually indicated as such so I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why a door wouldn't open before I realized that there was one enemy I hadn't killed yet)

The stairs that instantly killed you if you didn't slowly crouch walk down them still come to mind

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

of all the sins i'd lay at either of the reboot shadow warrior games' feet that is one i have never heard of or remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

of all the sins i'd lay at either of the reboot shadow warrior games' feet that is one i have never heard of or remember

There was falling damage and you moved fast enough you'd skid off stairs, land at the bottom, break all two of your legs, and immediately die, for every set of them in the game.