Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have one of those julienne peelers and it yearns for blood like a mandoline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
At hospital julienned fingat.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Are there any decently affordable, vegetarian options for sandwich fillings that go well with horseradish? I love the stuff but it feels wrong eating it with anything other than roast beef.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Works great with mushrooms. Big portobello.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

DildenAnders posted:

Are there any decently affordable, vegetarian options for sandwich fillings that go well with horseradish? I love the stuff but it feels wrong eating it with anything other than roast beef.

Roasted tempeh is great w/horseradish. Coat your tempeh slabs w mustard, roast and use as cold cuts. Roasted tempeh, havarti or brick, pickles, leaf lettuce, and horseradish on rye is amazing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DildenAnders posted:

Potatoes! Fried or mashed or smashed/roasted crispy. Or grilled.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Roasted onions with parmesan, fresh parsley and garlic waffle cut fries, horseradish on top.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I have one of those julienne peelers and it yearns for blood like a mandoline

First time I used one and I julienned myself.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've never had an issue with those peelers but maybe I'm not using them on the same thing. Biggest thing for me is having a 'P' shaped peeler for things like apples and potatoes and a 'Y' shaped peeler for big long things like carrots. I use the former much more like how you'd peel with a paring knife.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't know what you call it but this is the best kind of peeler

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'm not vegetarian but meat is so goddamn expensive right now, I figured it might be a good idea to figure out tofu and I want protein in my curry.

The best Thai place Ive been to does them like this in their curries. Get extra firm tofu, press moisture out if you want, cut it into eight slabs (you want pieces that are about 5 long and 1x1 cross section). No corn starch allowed. Preheat a cast iron pan over medium to medium high and fry the four long sides of them in neutral oil like vegetable or canola, using a fish spatula to turn them. Let the sides get crispy but if they start turning dark brown then they are burning. Remove from pan to a paper towel to cool for a little. Use a sharp knife to slice each slab into cubes. You will end up with cubes of tofu that have four crispy sides and two uncooked sides. At that point they dont need any more cooking, just throw them in the curry and go to town. I believe they also put the tofu through a freeze thaw cycle before all of this which is supposed to make it chewier, but I havent gotten that advanced at home yet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Aramoro posted:

I have this peeler, and its phenomenal

I actually have two, because when we inexplicably lost it, a couple of years ago, I had to get the same one to replace it. I could never go back to a regular peeler. Earlier this month, I was digging out some compost for sowing a crop of vegetables, and I found the old peeler!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Aramoro posted:

Any peeler with the flippy floppy blade like that is good, it's just the fixed blade ones that suck.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I somehow left a burner on for like 6 hours and my enameled cast iron dutch oven now has a wonderful layer of carbonized curry in the bottom. Luckily it only had a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom.

Anyway, I soaked it in water for 12 hours, scrubbed it with a stiff brush, poured in some dishwashing gel, scrubbed that, added hot water, let *that* soak for 12 hours, scrubbed it, rinsed it, sprayed kitchen degreaser/cleaner on it, let *that* soak for 12 hours, and scrubbed it. There is still a (smaller) circle of rough black char on the bottom.

Is there any hope for salvaging this? I have some heavy duty drain cleaner...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Annath posted:

I somehow left a burner on for like 6 hours and my enameled cast iron dutch oven now has a wonderful layer of carbonized curry in the bottom. Luckily it only had a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom.

Anyway, I soaked it in water for 12 hours, scrubbed it with a stiff brush, poured in some dishwashing gel, scrubbed that, added hot water, let *that* soak for 12 hours, scrubbed it, rinsed it, sprayed kitchen degreaser/cleaner on it, let *that* soak for 12 hours, and scrubbed it. There is still a (smaller) circle of rough black char on the bottom.

I have read that you can use the Easy Off oven cleaner with the yellow cap but you will need to let it sit somewhere outside so that you do not kill yourself from the horrible fumes. I have never tried that myself but found the advice recently when I did some research to find out if multiple times scrubbing the bottom of my enameled dutch oven with the green scouring pads had ruined the finish permanently or not (yes, it probably did).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Annath posted:

Have you tried a baking soda paste? That worked for me when I had stuff stuck on my enameled cast iron.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Annath posted:

Baking soda and vinegar. Maybe after making a paste with baking soda and water and letting it sit on there for a while.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I haven't tried baking soda... I'll give that a go before trying the easy off. I used that once time (on an actual oven) and it was awful, though it did work...

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Annath posted:

I would bet :10bux: that gently simmering baking soda and water at a ratio of 1 tbsp. to 1 quart makes short work of whatever is stuck

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Annath posted:

Bar keepers friend. Use per the directions, no soaking, youre only supposed to leave it on for a minute or two or else it can etch/cloud the surface. Repeat as needed. One of my pans got left on the burner for hours and this took off the hard as nails layer or carbonized oil. It took A LOT of vigorous scrubbing though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Aramoro posted:

Thirdind this - they really are the best design. We have two - one which takes off only a very thin layer, so great for carrots, and one is less fine, so great for sweet potates or anything with a pith under the skin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

I have this peeler, and its phenomenal

I actually have two, because when we inexplicably lost it, a couple of years ago, I had to get the same one to replace it. I could never go back to a regular peeler. Earlier this month, I was digging out some compost for sowing a crop of vegetables, and I found the old peeler!

This looks really interesting

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

i guess we found the last few big peeler fans.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Does anyone know where I can get a pan lid with an inner diameter of about 6 5/8 inches? Or one where that diameter is included in the range between the inner and outer, like 6.5 inner 7 inch outer?

Beef Eater fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 6, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I love carbonated water. Just straight up plain unflavored carbonated water. Has water carbonation technology improved since soda stream or should I just buy a soda stream?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Soda stream are like the No1 Israeli company to boycott if you care about that. They have manufacturing facilities in the occupied West Bank.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Funny, I was just test fitting my new rig as well!

The stainless steel bottle cap part just arrived today and now I'll have to wait until after Labor Day weekend to pick up the actual gas (and plumbers tape)

This has worked over and over again perfectly for me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Soul Dentist posted:

I choose to believe that you're somehow plugging one of those little CO2 chargers into the pressure valve.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Boris Galerkin posted:

I love carbonated water. Just straight up plain unflavored carbonated water. Has water carbonation technology improved since soda stream or should I just buy a soda stream?

I really like my drink mate, which replaced a very old soda stream. I picked it up because I didn't want to be limited on what I carbonated. It allows you to carbonate most anything in its vessle.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I choose to believe that you're somehow plugging one of those little CO2 chargers into the pressure valve.

Some may call it a large canister, but to me, the world's coolest reporter carbonator, it's a little charger

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Soul Dentist posted:

This is my setup too. Cheaper than a sodastream even day 1, insanely cheaper ongoing, way higher max pressure so it actually tastes right, carb anything.

Only downside is that it feels unsafe, though it's totally safe for everyone over the age of ~13 who isn't actively on hallucinagens

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soul Dentist posted:

Some may call it a large canister, but to me, the world's coolest reporter carbonator, it's a little charger

This is the same setup i use

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

This is my setup too. Cheaper than a sodastream even day 1, insanely cheaper ongoing, way higher max pressure so it actually tastes right, carb anything.

Only downside is that it feels unsafe, though it's totally safe for everyone over the age of ~13 who isn't actively on hallucinagens

Can confirm it's also safe while actively using hallucinogens. And bubbles are the best part of eating so many mushrooms you start feeling like a mushroom yourself

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The page that post is quoted from has this link

https://www.seriouseats.com/pros-cons-diy-carbonation-rig

Is it still up to date? I don't wanna blow up a bottle and send plastic shrapnel into my eyes.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah that's the link I used. The plastic bottle you use (specifically the threads) will be the eventually failure point, but you can use them hundreds of times and the won't explode so much as just pop off. If anybody has a lead on stainless 1L threaded bottles I'd love to know, however

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Im doing a similar thing its pretty great. I just change out the bottles every idk month or couple weeks. Just buy a new 1L bottle at the grocery.

I need to get my tank (its a tiny 2.5lb) hydro tested and refilled, but with the kid I havent gotten around to going to the beverage distributor to get that done lol. I should do that soon.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just buy 1 topo chico every year / 200 carb cycles and you'll never have to worry about it. Max on regulators is ~65 psi and bottles for carbonated beverages are rated up to 100 psi (130-150 burst).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why Topo Chico specifically? I've only ever had them from glass bottles but I'm assuming I don't want to use glass.

And is using CO2 filled for paintball safe? I'm not sure I want to buy a big rear end scuba sized tank of CO2 like you've got there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any plastic carbonated beverage is fine. You probably want a seltzer or soda water or club soda, since regular soda will leave residual flavors. Topo Chico is a good name brand one, and I stay away from store brand / no name since the plastic looks cheaper, whether or not that's actually an issue.

Just not bottled still water, since that's not rated for pressure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a dead simple electric or non elctric knife sharpener they recommend? I have one of the setups that uses a swing arm and multiple stones so that I can put a wicked edge on my cutlery, but ffs I do not have the time to break it out anymore. I need a sharpener that sharpens to an acceptable edge, quickly and easily. Im not worried if it is overly aggressive because the knives I use I bought for 15 dollars 20 years ago.