Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Innocent or guilty don’t really matter to Pallegina. She’s not a moralist, she’s a nationalist. If you are a liability to the Republics she’s gonna drop you like a bad habit.

It's kinda interesting how none of them give a poo poo if you play privateer though.

I took a bounty on a Rauatai captain recently (from the Principi bounty lady) and there actually was some ice cold dialogue from Maia about how if the captain was worth a drat they'd sink our ship anyways. Basically she didn't give a poo poo that I was killing one of their captains as long as overall I didn't gently caress up their operations.

I guess Pallegina and Maia consider it the cost of doing business with the Watcher. The Watcher is gonna murder hobo it, but as long as he doesn't help another company get power he's still a useful asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ginette Reno posted:

It's kinda interesting how none of them give a poo poo if you play privateer though.

I took a bounty on a Rauatai captain recently (from the Principi bounty lady) and there actually was some ice cold dialogue from Maia about how if the captain was worth a drat they'd sink our ship anyways. Basically she didn't give a poo poo that I was killing one of their captains as long as overall I didn't gently caress up their operations.

I guess Pallegina and Maia consider it the cost of doing business with the Watcher. The Watcher is gonna murder hobo it, but as long as he doesn't help another company get power he's still a useful asset.

I think Maia even tells you this upfront after recruiting her. You bring up that you might end up hurting the RDC and her response is basically to shrug and state that you were always viewed as a gamble that they're just trying to steer in the right direction rather then try to fully control.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Always feed Devil. You still get the breastplate, and the stat bonus is good for any build.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Always feed Devil. You still get the breastplate, and the stat bonus is good for any build.

but then i wouldn't have thrown grieving mother in the blood pool

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If I kill Okaya for the druids in Bent branch bog, does Maia leave? I know the rdc goes antagonistic, but I'll strip maia of her decent gear if she leaves.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
If she is in your party when you do it, she will turn on you and try to kill you (we're talking about the quest in Sayuka right?).

Not sure if anything happens if she's not in the party at the time.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Nothing happens as long as she's not in your party. It does lock you out of some of the RDC faction quests though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Makes the fact she'll happily shoot Hazanui's head off all the funnier.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But why would you deprive yourself of such a perfect, beautiful opportunity to feed Hiravias to it?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Singing Sunflower posted:

But why would you deprive yourself of such a perfect, beautiful opportunity to feed Hiravias to it?

get away from my dirty horny best bud, you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

think i might make a monk, what do you think

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

corn in the bible posted:

You have to name him Corn.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone know of good Pillars 1 or 2 LPs/streams outside of AngriestPat's?

If you speak French, mine's the best. :smug:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Monks are crazy strong and Xoti never leaves my party because of that.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Nothing happens as long as she's not in your party. It does lock you out of some of the RDC faction quests though.

Aye ill save it for last, thanks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Xoti has turned insane in my playthrough but I really don't think it is worth it. Did they nerf the scaling on her reaping aura? Right now she has all of her skill points in religion and it only gives +3% damage. Considering it is additive with everything else that'll probably end up being less than a single point of damage most of the time.

I think I'll reload because it seems pretty bad compared to a pair of fists.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So does better poo poo to pickpocket do much?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What's the best way to build a Monk/Wizard to just stack deflection all the way and punch poo poo without getting hit? I've just found the punch buckler which got me to 76 native deflection at level 11 and then I can stack that with fantasy coke and the early illusion spells to hit 150 deflection until he takes damage. I've got the arrow reflection skill, and I just found out that the buckler has an enchantment that reflects damage from melee misses. He has by far the highest damage output in my party, but I've no idea how much of that is from retaliation compared to constantly generating wounds with Dance of Death/Nalpazca and spamming Torment's Reach and Efficient Anguish.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What's the best way to build a Monk/Wizard to just stack deflection all the way and punch poo poo without getting hit? I've just found the punch buckler which got me to 76 native deflection at level 11 and then I can stack that with fantasy coke and the early illusion spells to hit 150 deflection until he takes damage. I've got the arrow reflection skill, and I just found out that the buckler has an enchantment that reflects damage from melee misses. He has by far the highest damage output in my party, but I've no idea how much of that is from retaliation compared to constantly generating wounds with Dance of Death/Nalpazca and spamming Torment's Reach and Efficient Anguish.

Get Llengrath's Martial Masteries from the dark cupboard and skill into the level 2 wizard spell mirror image. done

Miftan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 5, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man Maia just fucks poo poo up with the Red Hand. Casters especially explode as they usually have low armor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

A Sometimes Food posted:

So does better poo poo to pickpocket do much?

The blessing? Someone did research when they added it: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106467-mechanics-loaded-pockets-beraths-blessing

Tldr: it's not world-changing but it's better than not having it

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ginette Reno posted:

Man Maia just fucks poo poo up with the Red Hand. Casters especially explode as they usually have low armor.

Put the enchant on it that changes it from a cap of +20% to +40% damage and watch the heads pop

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Put the enchant on it that changes it from a cap of +20% to +40% damage and watch the heads pop

I like the way you think

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's one way, though I find later you trade out the shield for Spirit Lance, and I tend to prefer other monks to Nalpazca (but that's just because I hate the drug management). The other way is to go Helwalker / Wizard and just nuke everything with your extra-strong spells from afar.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Even better, it's a gun that can kill some pierce-immune enemies. The double-tap upgrade lets her two-shot enemies lower level than her even though she does no damage to them at all.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My game's become unplayable somewhere along the way, just constant crashing.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are there any crazy changes that I should be aware of since the launch other than DLC? From what I understand from reading the past couple of pages everything is harder. I was playing on Veteran/Unscaled about 15 hours in.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 6, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They gave enemies some buffs on Veteran and I think rebalanced some encounters so it's definitely more difficult. In the final DLC there were a couple of fights I legit had to turn the difficulty down(that or optimise my party, but who has the time?!).

Depending how close you played to launch, you may find a bunch of abilities to be weaker than you remember- they brought down the nerf hammer pretty hard.

Probably the biggest change on a fight to fight basis is the killcam. You'll want to go in options and make sure the killcam is only set to fire off when you want it to. It's basically a cinematic kill mode with sudden zoom-in when you defeat encounter or gib an enemy, and if you're not expecting it it can be a little jarring.

Another substantial change: click on the little face at the bottom of the main menu to unlock some additional gameplay options.

There are also four new bosses on the world map and one additional subclass per class, and a recent patch accidentally included a turn-based mode, which they quickly yanked back out and haven't said word one about in two weeks now, so make of that what you will!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the info. I skimmed through the major patch notes and the new subclasses seem really cool. I'll probably just continue my playthrough and try to figure out whats going on.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
There's a condensed list on the OP of the major changes since 1.0. They've been doing an excellent job of post-launch support.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

poe meater posted:

Thanks for the info. I skimmed through the major patch notes and the new subclasses seem really cool. I'll probably just continue my playthrough and try to figure out whats going on.

I will say as a warning for the subclasses. From what I can tell there's no subclass specific reactions. And coming from a Bleakwalker playthrough, that's a little jarring. Especially since I'm steel garrotte/priest of Woedica and had zero reactivity in the trial.

I mean it makes complete sense as to why, but it was still a little disappointing to me.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Didn't see anything in the last page: at what levels do the DLCs become relevant?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It depends on if you have level scaling on, which iirc moves the challenge up or down by up to 4 levels. Beast Of Winter is intended to start around level 14, and has a boss fight very near the start, so if you have level scaling on you'll want to be at least level 10 before going in- it makes a pre-DLC save just in case. Forgotten Sanctum is intended for level 18+ so with level scaling you'd want to be level 14 at absolute earliest, and some of those fights were crunchy for me at level 20. Seeker Slayer Survivor is post-Ashen Maw so you'll be doing it towards the end of the game and probably at max level anyway. I thought FS was post-Ashen Maw too, but I was sailing around minding my own business yesterday and got the introductory "wave" cutscene, so it may be post-Hasongo or may just be whenever

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to have Maia, Pallegina, and Tekehu in your party simultaneously, as far as keeping everyone happy? I assume at least one of them is gonna quit the party at some point, but I'm really enjoying the combination mechanically.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pallegina will leave if you mishandle the family feud quest, and all three can leave depending on your endgame faction choice. I don't think characters will leave just based on reputation.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Playing through beast of winter and Waidwain disappeared before I could ask for help because I asked something else first. Is this going to make the final boss much harder?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

A little, but you'll have two other dudes to help you out. Just remember to actually pull the boss to their locations, otherwise your friends won't help you out.

I'm running into an issue in the Forgotten Sanctum with a chest that won't unlock. Reloading or restarting the game doesn't seem to fix it.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 6, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to have Maia, Pallegina, and Tekehu in your party simultaneously, as far as keeping everyone happy? I assume at least one of them is gonna quit the party at some point, but I'm really enjoying the combination mechanically.

Tekehu is the one that really clashes, Maia and Pallegina are fairly easy to keep happy together as long as you don't do the most destructive outcomes for their faction quests. They tend to largely like the same things outside of their factional alignments. Choices that make Maia or Pally happy are almost certain to infuriate Tekehu and vice versa.

Edit: Pally and Tekehu can eventually get along but they still like different things so taking them both along will always be a juggling act for their affection to you.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Maia and Pallegina will get along because neither will trigger the other's negative modifiers while Pallegina is sassy and dutiful which Maia likes, and Maia is dutiful and distrusts the gods, which Pallegina likes. Both will clash with Tekehu, but I'd recommend just letting it play out.

The Watcher is bound to clash with at least one of them when you do the last step of a faction questline, but I don't think that's reason enough to perma-bench one, because they're also the only three characters who actively engage in Deadfire politics and have interesting responses to those questlines.

E: It's also not too hard for the Watcher to get along with all three, since your stance on the Huana will be outweighed by positive modifiers for Tekehu and Maia, and pro/anti-Godlike rarely comes up in Watcher checks and mostly fuels Pallegina and Tekehu not liking each other rather than you.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 6, 2019