Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pipski posted:

Oh, we have such sights to show you....

I've gone against what I normally do and haven't read spoilers with regards to The War Within, so I know I'm in for some sort of big surprise or something. Looking forward to it!

I've only done the first mission so far, so I'm going to try and clear Earth and Venus next.

Edit: also, I don't think I understand Nightwave Intermissions. Are they just story cutscenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

They're weekly challenges and completing them unlocks a series of rewards. There have been two story seasons so far, but it's currently on intermission--so just the challenges, no ongoing story element until series 3 starts, I would guess in the new year?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also the big surprise is in the Second Dream, War Within just rounds off the story and gives you an extra bit you need to do all of the Plains stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pipski posted:

They're weekly challenges and completing them unlocks a series of rewards. There have been two story seasons so far, but it's currently on intermission--so just the challenges, no ongoing story element until series 3 starts, I would guess in the new year?

Can I, in-game, get caught up with the stories?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

No, DE hasn't repeated them yet - dunno if they ever will. They're not major story arcs, just a slide with voice over every so often during a season.

In general, special event stories don't seem to repeat in Warframe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

v1ld posted:

No, DE hasn't repeated them yet - dunno if they ever will. They're not major story arcs, just a slide with voice over every so often during a season.

In general, special event stories don't seem to repeat in Warframe.

Ah, ok, thanks.

I am already hooked with this game, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet, holy poo poo.

Edit: is it dumb that I, for right now, prefer to play alone? I know the game is online only, but I was in a mission with others and it just got all weird, the mission ended early, and I got no rewards. That hasn't happened yet while I'm doing solo stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 19, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can I, in-game, get caught up with the stories?

If you are referring to the Nightwave, if you go to the radio and choose “tune in” you can replay the cutscenes.

If you’re referring to the wider story of the game told in temporary events, unfortunately not currently, although DE seems to eventually want to be able to bring them back in some form. I wish they would reconfigure old events as quests tbh, it would serve the dual purpose of explaining to new players what is happening and tutorializing some of the more esoteric modes and systems.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Edit: is it dumb that I, for right now, prefer to play alone? I know the game is online only, but I was in a mission with others and it just got all weird, the mission ended early, and I got no rewards. That hasn't happened yet while I'm doing solo stuff.

I don't really know what happened there unless the mission failed.

It's fine to play solo for a while. You'll be able to handle it, learn enemies, and learn tile sets. Just know that you can be very very mobile in this game with bullet jumping and double jump rolling, hard swapping directions in mid air, etc. Playing with other will let you see how they move and how fast you can barrel through a mission. Sometimes thats what everyone is going to be doing because you're all trying to complete a mission three times for an invasion, for example. Other times people will simply kill things so fast that you'll need to catch up or want to jump ahead. It's good to know how to gofast. But playing solo is still fine, there's a lot to learn and some of it comes in the form of simply getting familiar with the layout of things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FunkyFjord posted:

I don't really know what happened there unless the mission failed.

It's fine to play solo for a while. You'll be able to handle it, learn enemies, and learn tile sets. Just know that you can be very very mobile in this game with bullet jumping and double jump rolling, hard swapping directions in mid air, etc. Playing with other will let you see how they move and how fast you can barrel through a mission. Sometimes thats what everyone is going to be doing because you're all trying to complete a mission three times for an invasion, for example. Other times people will simply kill things so fast that you'll need to catch up or want to jump ahead. It's good to know how to gofast. But playing solo is still fine, there's a lot to learn and some of it comes in the form of simply getting familiar with the layout of things.

Is there a way I can make myself play solo? I mean shut down my profile or whatever so people can't join me?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Is there a way I can make myself play solo? I mean shut down my profile or whatever so people can't join me?

Yes: when you're in the star chart or options menu, there's a drop down top-left (or triangle on ps4) that lets you choose from solo, invite only, friends only, and public. Set it to whatever you're in the mood for that mission.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pipski posted:

Yes: when you're in the star chart or options menu, there's a drop down top-left (or triangle on ps4) that lets you choose from solo, invite only, friends only, and public. Set it to whatever you're in the mood for that mission.

Oh my god, perfect.

I'd just like to be clear in that I'm not against playing with others eventually, especially goons (yay Solar Whales :black101:), but I'd like to get more of my bearings first, and at least clear out the first bunch of quests on my own without the dual joys of "k1lld0ze311_4eva"* and "queefing_briefly"* zipping past my head, taking out enemies I hadn't even seen yet. Also, right now my internet sucks.

*names are made up because I couldn't remember the real ones, but I have to admit that Queefing Briefly might make an ok SA username.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Oh my god, perfect.

I'd just like to be clear in that I'm not against playing with others eventually, especially goons (yay Solar Whales :black101:), but I'd like to get more of my bearings first, and at least clear out the first bunch of quests on my own without the dual joys of "k1lld0ze311_4eva"* and "queefing_briefly"* zipping past my head, taking out enemies I hadn't even seen yet. Also, right now my internet sucks.

*names are made up because I couldn't remember the real ones, but I have to admit that Queefing Briefly might make an ok SA username.

And that's fine. For boss fights you will probably want to go public, just to farm their drops more quickly and make things easier on yourself, but I was the same way when I started. And I still sometimes just grab a bow and stealth-solo a level or two for some peace and quiet (and syndicate medallions.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The story quests are forced solo anyway aren't they?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, this whole time (actually, I've only got like ~4.5 hours logged), I thought that I had to keep going with the quests immediately, one after another, and kept getting my rear end handed to me even with the easiest bounty from that bald guy on Cetus.

Yeah, so I just tried an elimination mission on Mariana, and beat it no problem. Welp, I know what I'll be doing for the next little while.

Also, how do I initiate the training for mastery? I did one before, don't know if it was mandated through the Vor quest or not. I've looked all over for anything that will put me into that VR-like area, but can't find it.

Thankfully, this game is getting less and less confusing by the minute, which is nice.

Lastly, I'm very thankful for auto-mod distribution (for now).

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

We finally got the Old Blood! Whoo! Grendel's fun as hell and he looks ridiculous.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Also, how do I initiate the training for mastery? I did one before, don't know if it was mandated through the Vor quest or not. I've looked all over for anything that will put me into that VR-like area, but can't find it.
You can only take one Mastery Rank Test a day. If you're ready to level up but don't have the option to take the test, as early in the game as you are, it's entirely possible a day hasn't passed since your last test. Once you've gained enough Mastery XP to gain a Mastery Rank level, (check your Profile to see how far your are from your next rank) there should be an option in the Start menu that says "Mastery Rank Up" which will take you right to it. Or, once you have access to a Relay, (which you might not at this point) you can go to any Relay and head to Cephalon Simaris's room, a.k.a. Sanctuary. There's a little curved stairway to the right with tubes allowing you to access the tests, whether to practice or do it for real. You can practice the next available test as many times as you like, so take advantage of that before doing it for real.

Your main source of mastery XP is leveling up weapons, Warframes, any piece of gear capable of leveling up, but only the first time you do so. That is, you'll get Mastery for leveling up your Braton, but if you get it to level 30, then buy another Braton, you won't get any mastery for that second Braton. Always, ALWAYS level gear up to 30 before you get rid of it. You also get mastery by clearing locations on your Star Chart for the first time, so clear out as many of those blue diamonds as you can.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I equipped 3 unranked weapons and headed into Hydron after the patch. There seems to be a bug where you don’t get any indication your stuff is leveling up. I quit after a few minutes and all the weapons were like level 16.

That’s like 48 releases of dopamine I’m not getting back, DE!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Man, this whole time (actually, I've only got like ~4.5 hours logged), I thought that I had to keep going with the quests immediately, one after another, and kept getting my rear end handed to me even with the easiest bounty from that bald guy on Cetus.
It still doesn't make this clear enough, but at night Cetus has enemies you can't kill until you finish War Within (technically you can kill them after Second Dream but just not very efficiently).

Stick to Cetus during the day and the north / middle of the Fortuna map.

Also the quests are not listed in the best order on the quest screen, I didn't get the stuff I needed for the doggo quest for example until much later. Continue unlocking the star chart until at least Uranus and the Natah quest, and make sure you do The New Strange as well.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

fischtick posted:

I equipped 3 unranked weapons and headed into Hydron after the patch. There seems to be a bug where you don’t get any indication your stuff is leveling up. I quit after a few minutes and all the weapons were like level 16.

That’s like 48 releases of dopamine I’m not getting back, DE!

There's that bug, but also for some reason that mission gives insane bonus xp at the end. If you stay for fifteen minutes with four people, you'll easily rank 3 weapons to 30 and the Warframe to about 26

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It still doesn't make this clear enough, but at night Cetus has enemies you can't kill until you finish War Within (technically you can kill them after Second Dream but just not very efficiently).

Stick to Cetus during the day and the north / middle of the Fortuna map.

Also the quests are not listed in the best order on the quest screen, I didn't get the stuff I needed for the doggo quest for example until much later. Continue unlocking the star chart until at least Uranus and the Natah quest, and make sure you do The New Strange as well.

Oh.... oh my god.... :negative:

While not explaining why, this explains so much. But you know what? At least I have an explanation, though yes, they should definitely tell you this in-game (and if they did and I missed it, my bad).

EDIT:

RiffRaff1138 posted:

You can only take one Mastery Rank Test a day. If you're ready to level up but don't have the option to take the test, as early in the game as you are, it's entirely possible a day hasn't passed since your last test. Once you've gained enough Mastery XP to gain a Mastery Rank level, (check your Profile to see how far your are from your next rank) there should be an option in the Start menu that says "Mastery Rank Up" which will take you right to it. Or, once you have access to a Relay, (which you might not at this point) you can go to any Relay and head to Cephalon Simaris's room, a.k.a. Sanctuary. There's a little curved stairway to the right with tubes allowing you to access the tests, whether to practice or do it for real. You can practice the next available test as many times as you like, so take advantage of that before doing it for real.

Your main source of mastery XP is leveling up weapons, Warframes, any piece of gear capable of leveling up, but only the first time you do so. That is, you'll get Mastery for leveling up your Braton, but if you get it to level 30, then buy another Braton, you won't get any mastery for that second Braton. Always, ALWAYS level gear up to 30 before you get rid of it. You also get mastery by clearing locations on your Star Chart for the first time, so clear out as many of those blue diamonds as you can.

Thanks for this info!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 20, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Quick Old Blood PSA: if you feel like your favorite melee is now bad, don’t worry they’re buffing some stuff in the next patch based on what happened on PC and also most melee is now better than it was, you just have to build differently.

Also, the kuva lich grind is a pain on release and you can just ignore it if you want, it’s been patched to be easier on PC and that will also make its way to us Soon (tm).

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

omg new mission loading screens? this is already the best update ever.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
well there goes any productivity I hoped to have. also this kuva lich stuff is just a wee bit confusing (but then what in warframe ain't at this fuckin point)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh god I think I'm still a little drunk from last night cause I'm dropping plat without hesitation all over the place today

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

they should let you shop the market through the phone app. I can guarantee I would have spent some serious plat while bored at work.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

they should let you shop the market through the phone app. I can guarantee I would have spent some serious plat while bored at work.

I think that's why they don't let you. They're usually pretty good at limiting whales.

Not good enough though, I've dropped about two-hundred bucks on this game so far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, how many digs do I need to complete in those excavation missions?

:negative:

Edit: nevermind, I hosed up and I missed the extraction point after the first dig. I had to stop playing for other reasons, so I aborted the mission. See above smilie.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 21, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh.... oh my god.... :negative:

While not explaining why, this explains so much. But you know what? At least I have an explanation, though yes, they should definitely tell you this in-game (and if they did and I missed it, my bad).

EDIT:

Thanks for this info!
I can't remember, but I think Konzu mentions it being dangerous at night the first time you go out there after sundown, and I think he says something after the siren if the sun goes down while you're out on the plains.

But they don't say anything about not yet able to kill the night enemies. It's definitely something they need to work on for the new player experience, without spoiling anything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey, how many digs do I need to complete in those excavation missions?

:negative:

Edit: nevermind, I hosed up and I missed the extraction point after the first dig. I had to stop playing for other reasons, so I aborted the mission. See above smilie.

Excavation missions were extremely confusing for me at first. You don't actually have to finish any -- you get points for incomplete ones too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Excavation missions were extremely confusing for me at first. You don't actually have to finish any -- you get points for incomplete ones too.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Shame I quit instead of actually ending the mission.

Looking forward to having enough material to craft a bunch of stuff while at work or away. Right now, my mobile app stuff is pretty bare-bones.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What are relics and do I need to do the alerts for the free ones?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

you won't need the ones from these alerts until you catch up to current content so i would consider them optional if you're just starting out. :)

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What are relics and do I need to do the alerts for the free ones?
Relics are essentially completely-free lootboxes. Each relic has six items it can contain, 3 common, 2 uncommon, 1 rare. You open them by completing Void Fissure missions (go to your Star Chart and click on the icon in the upper-right that looks like a flame) and collecting 10 void reactant, which is dropped by Corrupted enemies in Fissure missions. Reactant will also give you void traces, which can be used to refine relics to increase the chances of getting rarer items. Relics themselves aren't that rare, they can be awarded for completing regular missions.

Most of the items contained in relics are pieces of Prime gear, which have improved stats and more pre-polarized mod slots than their base versions.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Some stuff while my computer has enough reserve power to post (gently caress you power company for flickering the power and frying something on this laptop)

The death of AFK farming:

https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/1197691898640707587

My two liches, first one I'm calling Steve Irwin cause his last name is "Crikey," and like Steve Irwin, he died frombeing stabbed in the heart:

https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/1196908285414084608
https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/1197367040597643265

Vasca Kavat hunting on PS4 is busted:

https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/1196918425466990592

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
*checks plat balance Monday*

I'm good for awhile

*today*

ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh those relics. I forgot, I took a break for a while. The app didn't say Axi A3 or whatever so it didn't click.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

So I've got my main account on PC and another on Switch. The switch one seems to find it really difficult to find groups. I know an insane amount of people own a switch nowadays, and this is a free game, so this should not be the case? I'm also getting an occasional "strict NAT" message when I log in, which if I ignore doesn't seem to make any difference to my ability to play online, or to play with my friend, but I wonder if that is somehow affecting my ability to find groups reliably. Are there any known issues with the switch when it comes to finding groups, and does that NAT message I'm getting have anything to do with my apparent difficulty getting into groups for popular missions like boss fights, Semenei etc?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I doubt the switch population even comes close to the PC. I'm not sure why though.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
The only groups I can find with any certainty is sorties right when they update and hydron at peak hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love the kuva liches and I love Grendel, but I hate the Requiem mod system and think it's an annoying timesink.

GEE, THANKS, I NEEDED ANOTHER AYATAN STAR.

Anyone else on PS4 noting a lot of framerate issues since the patch?