Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I tried mining in style with an imperial courier, and it was gorgeous but sucked rear end for cargo, and I still made 20 mil for my troubles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
sadly nobody in colonia is buying void opals for more than 750k hth

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Blimpkin posted:

I tried mining in style with an imperial courier, and it was gorgeous but sucked rear end for cargo, and I still made 20 mil for my troubles

You could probably mine in style in a Clipper, though, if you're good with wide hardpoint placement as well as only having four of them.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
How does station commodity demand work? I just mined a load of void opals in my Asp and made my way to the nearest station buying void opals (according to Inara anyway). The demand in game was 3. I sold 3, and then was able to just keep selling all the rest even though the demand was now 0, all at the same price...

dedian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 31, 2018

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Did I get punked?
I found a gas giant ring with like 3 void opal hot spots and I couldn't even even one asteroid that had them...
All of them just gave me some random hydrogen, water and other trace elements subsurface. No asteroid cracking options.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kraftwerk posted:

Did I get punked?
I found a gas giant ring with like 3 void opal hot spots and I couldn't even even one asteroid that had them...
All of them just gave me some random hydrogen, water and other trace elements subsurface. No asteroid cracking options.

It's possible you had bad luck in an instance, but tunnel vision and wasting time on "pretty darn bright" rocks are two common mistakes people make.

Make sure you're glancing to your left and right as you pulse scan (mouse look, TrackIR, whatever), versus just in front of you. That greatly increases the number of asteroids you'll see. The first thing you should look for is crazy hot roaring fire brightness; ignore the shape until you see something that is very obviously much brighter than the last 50 glowing rocks you saw, like, unquestionably super bright. Only prospect those hella loving bright rocks so that you don't waste time on duds.

Those two things will help you out a bunch. And if you're convinced that the RNG hates you, then try another part of the hotspot.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kraftwerk posted:

Did I get punked?

Are you looking for the fissures in the pic i posted while in nightvision on the dark side of the absolute brightest asteroids that show up when you do the pulse scan thing?

I havent had to look any longer than max 20 mins before i found one on my unluckiest streaks, but RNG and all.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
If you're saving your limpets, don't prospect unless the asteroid has fissures. If it does have fissures, launch a prospector limpet into it, target the limpet, and it will tell you what kind of core the asteroid has after finishing its scan. If it's not the core you're looking for, move along.

The brightness of mother-lode asteroids will be obvious once you find one, so just keep going until your pulse wave picks one up, but also keep in mind (for icy rings) the shape of the crackable asteroids, as Dongattack's image shows.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I figured it out. It's still tough to tell which asteroid has fissures from a distance but I cracked 2-3 and just made 45 million.
I love it. What an awesome payout. And mining is actually fun.

Also what's the deal with station demand? I'm seeing some with like 1 demand but they'll buy all 27 tons off me.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I figured it out. It's still tough to tell which asteroid has fissures from a distance but I cracked 2-3 and just made 45 million.

Also what's the deal with station demand? I'm seeing some with like 1 demand but they'll buy all 27 tons off me.

My favorite part is shredding the pirate that comes after me at the start because mining in a Krait is so aggressive.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

Apparently if you hold down the pulse wave scanner instead of pressing it each time, the 2nd time around it'll give a different glowing texture momentarily to asteroids with fissures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5GPOkY4UN0

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Im confused about another thing. Does it matter which system you're hunting for these in? like if you found a ring with void opal hotspots in a high security system does that mean you have a lower chance of finding them?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

Apparently if you hold down the pulse wave scanner instead of pressing it each time, the 2nd time around it'll give a different glowing texture momentarily to asteroids with fissures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5GPOkY4UN0

Sometimes the glow goes away very quickly (shorter than the length of the full pulse), and definitely with night vision enabled it'll go away if there's a night vision pulse at or near the time that the glowing would have shown up. It looks more like FDev needs to work on their glowy asteroid shader than the secret second held pulse being some hidden feature.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, what's big, potentially light years long, and looks like it's traveling faster than the speed of light?

Superluminal Jets.

V1487 Aquilae, or GRS 1915+105, has this. It's an optical illusion caused by the angle of the jets to our view. The closer the angle between our line of sight and the angle of the jet is to zero, the higher the chances of it happening. Now, these jets are already being ejected at a rapid speed, like V1487 Aql's 0.9c.

Here's where the fun begins. Let's take an arbitrary subset of the jet, and call it a "packet". This packet emits light at the source of the jet, a black hole. The light takes about 30 days to get to us, in which the packet moves 27 light days along the jet (9/10ths of 30), but not much in terms of "lateral movement" by virtue of the viewing angle. It then emits light again (ok it always is, but for this, let's assume it emits photons in two places).

Since the first group of photons had a significant distance to travel, and the packet itself is moving at relativistic speeds, it appears the packet moved down the jet faster than the speed of light.

If that's confusing you, I'm sorry and have someone who's better at explaining it than I am explain it: https://www.quora.com/What-is-superluminal-motion . It's math stuff, and I'm horrible at explaining that on a forum like this with limited formatting.

Anyway! V1487 Aql was the first object within our galaxy with superluminal jets, but not the first we discovered with the illusion as a whole. That belongs to the 1901 nova of GK Persei, and was noticed by a man named Jacobus Kapteyn in 1902. A nova is when a white dwarf accretes enough matter to cause it to fuse on its surface from the dwarf's residual heat, which then explodes off of it (this is distinct from a supernova, in which the entire dwarf blows up, not the surface gas). The first "long-term" superluminal motion came from jets in other galaxies, namely ones with active cores. Some of these go up to around 9.6c, and M87 will show up to 6c at times.

Picture:

If you're considering visiting, the black hole is the warp-in star, with the orange giant nearby. Like Cygnus X-1, there should be an accretion disk, but alas game existing vs cool stuff. The black hole is a microquasar, but I'll explain those in a future post!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

moolchaba posted:

Damnit my new cobra mk iii got blowsed up.

I was insta interdicted... server has been sketchy all day (ED servers poo poo or what?).

I'm thinking it was a server issue because there was no escape vector... it was insta blap and my ship was dead almost immediately.

My condolences. I ran into what I'm sure is a bug earlier, where I was obliterated by an NPC pirate literally before I could turn my ship around to face him. Between the failed missions and the rebuy, I'm out like 9 million credits or so, on top of getting a million bounty fine. Hopefully support will be kind with my ticket, because I really don't see how my Krait going from full everything, to no shields and 40% hull before my guns are even finished popping out can't be a bug.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
What determines exactly what populates a USS re: its supposed threat level? I picked up a massacre mission earlier, went to find a mission USS and found one at allegedly threat level three and dropped in to find an Elite Anaconda and four Dangerous Viper IVs. All of which was no match for my engineered Mamba, mind, but it seemed a little much for threat level 3. It was a wing mission, does that make a difference?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GHOST_BUTT posted:

What determines exactly what populates a USS re: its supposed threat level? I picked up a massacre mission earlier, went to find a mission USS and found one at allegedly threat level three and dropped in to find an Elite Anaconda and four Dangerous Viper IVs. All of which was no match for my engineered Mamba, mind, but it seemed a little much for threat level 3. It was a wing mission, does that make a difference?

Isn't threat level 4 the highest possible? Sounds about right for a level 3

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

My condolences. I ran into what I'm sure is a bug earlier, where I was obliterated by an NPC pirate literally before I could turn my ship around to face him. Between the failed missions and the rebuy, I'm out like 9 million credits or so, on top of getting a million bounty fine. Hopefully support will be kind with my ticket, because I really don't see how my Krait going from full everything, to no shields and 40% hull before my guns are even finished popping out can't be a bug.

the sounds like a return of an old bug where NPCs were equipped with multicannons that shot plasma/rail gun shots or whatever instead of normal weapons shooting normal bullets

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Exploring is just amazing, the things you see. I just found an undiscovered system halfway between Colonia and the bubble that has 3 water worlds. All for me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I think I'm gonna head out into the black and finally try to do some exploring once I grow bored of this void gold rush, I'll at least have infinite funds to finance it

It's actually kind of ridiculous how much money I've earned in the last few days compared to the almost 200 hours I've played so far, like i spent a significant amount of time getting to the point where i could afford an aspX and A rated stuff for it, and when i finally did it felt like I'd worked for it

I wouldn't want that glacial pace for every new ship purchase but I feel like i would have missed out on a lot of cool gameplay moments if I could be a billionaire after a couple of days played

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
More stations buying at 1.6 mil after the last server tick or whatever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm gonna take a break from Fed Rep grinding (56% through Lieutenant Commander!) and return to mining opals; I don't trust them not to nerf it into the ground, and I'd much rather never have to think about money again.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
is there an official goon squadron? I want to join a squadron but I also don't want to spend two months getting to know strange nerds on a discord.

if there isn't and at least 10 people show interest i'll shell out the 10m credits to found one

Graphic fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 31, 2018

timn
Mar 16, 2010
VR-havers, one thing I noticed in my first outing is that the ship cockpit/head position sits perfectly still at the times. I know this is probably for :barf: reasons, but there is any way to restore some of the shaking effects? It feels weird how your ship flies everywhere in a perfectly smooth glide, especially in witch space.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

timn posted:

VR-havers, one thing I noticed in my first outing is that the ship cockpit/head position sits perfectly still at the times. I know this is probably for :barf: reasons, but there is any way to restore some of the shaking effects? It feels weird how your ship flies everywhere in a perfectly smooth glide, especially in witch space.

No, there isn't because making the camera move when your body isn't expecting it is bad juju. You could get one of those heavy bass rumble chair things I guess.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Graphic posted:

is there an official goon squadron? I want to join a squadron but I also don't want to spend two months getting to know strange nerds on a discord.

if there isn't and at least 10 people show interest i'll shell out the 10m credits to found one

Yes. The Diamond Frogs!

Check the OP.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Graphic posted:

Yes, we're called the Diamond Frogs and there is a PGS thread with all of the cool details! In-game, the ticker is FR0G on PC (note the zero for an O), if you're already on the Discord someone is usually able to :f5: pretty quickly, but it is a holiday so maybe a couple of days at most?

Here is the link again! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

Discord link and instructions for joining are in PGS behind the paywall! :gooncamp:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
We are also sexy.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Isn't threat level 4 the highest possible? Sounds about right for a level 3

Nah threat level goes from 1, which is like a Harmless stock Sidewinder, to 11 I wanna say, which is the newish Thargoid interceptor variants, the extremely killy ones. So 3 is on the low end, for sure.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yes, we're called the Diamond Frogs and there is a PGS thread with all of the cool details! In-game, the ticker is FR0G on PC (note the zero for an O), if you're already on the Discord someone is usually able to :f5: pretty quickly, but it is a holiday so maybe a couple of days at most?

Here is the link again! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

Discord link and instructions for joining are in PGS behind the paywall! :gooncamp:

thanks, i'm a dork for not reading OP

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Nah threat level goes from 1, which is like a Harmless stock Sidewinder, to 11 I wanna say, which is the newish Thargoid interceptor variants, the extremely killy ones. So 3 is on the low end, for sure.

Woah! I should look more at those things, 4 is the highest I ever saw so far.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Deep Core mining is amazing to show off to someone who has never seen Elite before.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Blimpkin posted:

Deep Core mining is amazing to show off to someone who has never seen Elite before.

There is a real sense of accomplishment the first time you set all your charges right with the meter on the blue line and blow that fucker apart too.

It certainly beats just pew pew lasers at rock and collect what falls off(even if that's how it ends up after you blow a motherload).

Edit: It makes me wish that the subsurface deposits were worth more because I enjoy the mini game with timing the missile charges just right too. It's just not worth drilling out the deposits when I could use the time searching for another rock to blow apart.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 31, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It is. I showed my son an asteroid getting cracked and he was basically :aaaaa:

I finally got a Python. Fitted it out for mining. Or so I thought, until I got to a ring and wanted to DSS it and realized that was the one thing I'd forgotten. Blind mining still netted me about 15 million, though.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Friendly Fire posted:

There is a real sense of accomplishment the first time you set all your charges right with the meter on the blue line and blow that fucker apart too.

It certainly beats just pew pew lasers at rock and collect what falls off(even if that's how it ends up after you blow a motherload).

Edit: It makes me wish that the subsurface deposits were worth more because I enjoy the mini game with timing the missile charges just right too. It's just not worth drilling out the deposits when I could use the time searching for another rock to blow apart.

Even the Pew Pew part owns because in my Krait, if I turn off all pips to engines and use all my boost before going into the debris field it’s impossible for me to accidentally boost and I can just nimbly hop around and pew pew the rocks like a boss.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was exploring one of those "encoded emissions" sites and it was nothing but spaceship debris and loot. I was hoovering up the canisters when a large piece of wreckage floated by that looked just like the cockpit of what I'm flying, an Asp Explorer. :stonklol:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I still nearly jump out of my seat and make some kind of "yeehawww" sound when I hit the motherlode and find the right asteroid.
I'm really good at placing charges and get the optimal yield every time. Thanks to the advice in this thread I've jumped from a paltry 25-30 million after outfitting my ASP for mining to a solid 215.
I'm not gonna stop till I have billions. I also don't trust them to let this sit for much longer considering any new player can do a few hours of bounty hunting/road to riches and have a mining ship to get rich from.

Anyway re: deep core mining, I feel like some sort of old timey 1800s era prospector only in space and I have a feeling some firefly music would probably make a nice backdrop as I tear up a planet's ring.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I know I'm way behind the curve on this but I just did my first surface mining for phosphorus to get beast shields on my FDL, but that was pretty fun and relaxing. I have 200 hours in the game and 95% of that is just bounty hunting and space trucking, but I've decided to try and experience more of what the game has.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Graphic posted:

I know I'm way behind the curve on this but I just did my first surface mining for phosphorus to get beast shields on my FDL, but that was pretty fun and relaxing. I have 200 hours in the game and 95% of that is just bounty hunting and space trucking, but I've decided to try and experience more of what the game has.

Go on a longer range trip into the black. Pick a RL Star and go there scanning the whole way. I recommend Betelgeuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
My wife and I both got sucked into this game (along with a few friends).

It's a ton of fun and we're starting to get into the mid tier of ships. I have an FdL and AspX as my two best ships thanks to core mining. Slowly getting into engineering and exploring other parts of the game like tourism and exploration.

However, we really want to do multicrew stuff and after trying it last night were rather disappointed. We tried for exploration. With an AspX we went about 300 LY out of the bubble to a system that I knew has a lot of good stuff to scan. But we never really did our homework on how things work when it comes time to share/sell the data we scanned. It was in my ship but it didn't appear easy or possible for her to sell the same data on her own. We were also getting problems of her getting DC'd and I'd have to reinvite to the crew, which appeared to wipe her progress on scan data we made.

In short: Are we doing something wrong with multicrew exploration? Is it worth it, for all players, for the data to sell or is only the helm? Besides the obvious combat, what multicrew setups are fun to do?