Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

just got a pair of loading screens in the Italian campaign that featured a German soldier writing to his brother who's on the eastern front lol. Relic managed to get in weird poo poo about the Soviets even in a game with no Soviets in it

(even if this is comparatively harmless)

Ok but what is the Brit doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but the games are fundamentally different from company of heroes.

oh yeah most definitely lol. i should boot it up again, i loved playing my 352nd infantrie division deck

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

slicing off strips of himself for the american

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lostconfused posted:

Complaining about trans people probably.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
There's no cishets in foxholes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

just got a pair of loading screens in the Italian campaign that featured a German soldier writing to his brother who's on the eastern front lol. Relic managed to get in weird poo poo about the Soviets even in a game with no Soviets in it

(even if this is comparatively harmless)

COH Tales of Valor had a epic Tiger mission which opens with notMichael Wittman powning T-34s on the eastern front.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

steel division 1 was fun as hell

But goddamn does the DLC for 2 do a lot of whitewashkng for units that were little more than useless except for killing Civilians. The Yugo slav one really stands out to that effect

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Nonceing

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I actually kinda want to play CoH 2 now since I never touched it.

edit: Also because I'm too cheap to just pay full price and jump straight into 3.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Feb 25, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lelic wants to make soviets be ooga booga monsters but their voice acting is so good that you want to pat them on the head instead. My favorite part is when they show the soviets betraying the polish partisans.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KomradeX posted:

But goddamn does the DLC for 2 do a lot of whitewashkng for units that were little more than useless except for killing Civilians. The Yugo slav one really stands out to that effect

they do that for a lot of minor nations. canada in SD1 had access to a tank that they only made a few copies of and I don't even know if it saw combat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
On one hand Lelic, on the other hand...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

they do that for a lot of minor nations. canada in SD1 had access to a tank that they only made a few copies of and I don't even know if it saw combat.

Not really on the same level of the myriad Security Police, Auxiliary Police etc. units given innocuous bios. I mean, even the Arrow Cross coup in Hungary which led to the betrayal of the Hungarian Jews and most rapid rate of killing in the Holocaust was described as “bloodless”.

Eugen including fantasy units is a problem across all their games though. Yeah, it’s pretty dumb.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lmao calling the arrow cross coup bloodless is my new benchmark for technically correct

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dreylad posted:

My next step was to check out TG to see if you guys had run it. I figured it'd be a lot of work even without transcribing, much respect for that level of effort.
I found my game. Needs archives. I think this was completed? Could be wrong, was a long time ago.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

awww gently caress, I remember now, it was completed but I think the forums ate the end of the game, which is a shame, I had written a whole post about how the Syndicate won I think

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

Lmao calling the arrow cross coup bloodless is my new benchmark for technically correct

:hmmyes:

When someone called them out they said the coup was bloodless but the consequences weren’t.

KSP 2 and COH 2 both not doing so hot with steam reviews.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Knowing nothing about it I'm going to guess they simply clubbed the Jews to death

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tankbuster posted:

lelic wants to make soviets be ooga booga monsters but their voice acting is so good that you want to pat them on the head instead. My favorite part is when they show the soviets betraying the polish partisans.

yeah that level is incredible for its cartoonish portrayal of the soviets

the voice acting is pretty good but they didn't have a soviet soldier say "Comrade, tie your loving laces!" and that was the easiest lay-up in the world so they hosed up

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreylad posted:

The Wargame series was rife with that especially for NATO equipment. But drat was MBT-70 in the very first game.so good.

It really is funny that that game series showed me how NATO really had nothing going on in the way of AA defense while the Soviets were overflowing with thats to shoot planes down

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
What the hell kind of game did you guys play where the Germans were overpowered, because it definitely wasn't Company of Heroes 1 multiplayer. The balance overall was decent, but Americans were the real overpowered standout, by far. Massed riflemen were drat hard to beat, and they also had cheap Shermans and Calliopes that didn't cost fuel.

Did you all play 4v4 annihilation or something

Anyway the only moral way to play was Random because then if you ended up as Germans it wasn't like you chose to play as Nazis

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Feb 25, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

:hmmyes:

When someone called them out they said the coup was bloodless but the consequences weren’t.

KSP 2 and COH 2 both not doing so hot with steam reviews.

Pulling the trigger of a gun is also bloodless.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yeah that level is incredible for its cartoonish portrayal of the soviets

the voice acting is pretty good but they didn't have a soviet soldier say "Comrade, tie your loving laces!" and that was the easiest lay-up in the world so they hosed up

No but they talk about watching tigers elephants and panthers so their mom thinks they went to the moscow zoo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What the hell kind of game did you guys play where the Germans were overpowered, because it definitely wasn't Company of Heroes 1 multiplayer. The balance overall was decent, but Americans were the real overpowered standout, by far. Massed riflemen were drat hard to beat, and they also had cheap Shermans and Calliopes that didn't cost fuel.

Anyway the only moral way to play was Random because then if you ended up as Germans it wasn't like you chose to play as Nazis

default coh yes, the introduction of the panzer elite definitely tipped the balance back to the germans tho

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

For a while when you banked the 1000 for Blitzkrieg it was game over even if you were down to 1 point.

Calliopes were massively OP though.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I thought it was pretty cool how COH 1 had somewhat asymmetrical sides, yet remained largely balanced. It went back and forth depending on skill level and patch balance but it was fun and cool for casuals having a good time. American rifles were formidable but early mg42 had their own way of controlling the map. Grenades, armored cars, and micromanagement in general were hard counters but by then hopefully the Germans had time to tech up. Or not. Anyway, one of the last good rts games I remember to have sides that played fairly differently imo.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
DoW: Retribution remains the peak of RTS and incidentally the last game actual Relic made before everyone quit when their corporate owners went bankrupt on an Etch-a-Sketch gamble. CoH2 was a new team using the Relic name.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Relic started making games about how cool pretend-fascists are, now makes games about how cool actual fascists are.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
coh1 also had american stickybombs which were straight up bullshit.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's because they were in Saving Private Ryan.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

I purchased and 100%'d Huniecam so quickly that I still get friends shaming me over it. And I deserve to be shamed. But I did not praise the game. I called it fucked up. That's how fucked up it is: it's up there with Princess Maker as far as poster body counts.
Soiled Meat
CoH1 was such a good lan party game. Just you and your two boys doing an hour long 3v3 comp stop to warm up for a clan scrim where we got fuckin smashed in 20 minutes flat.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

I purchased and 100%'d Huniecam so quickly that I still get friends shaming me over it. And I deserve to be shamed. But I did not praise the game. I called it fucked up. That's how fucked up it is: it's up there with Princess Maker as far as poster body counts.
Soiled Meat
StarCraft didn't teach me about build orders. CoH did.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Not really on the same level of the myriad Security Police, Auxiliary Police etc. units given innocuous bios. I mean, even the Arrow Cross coup in Hungary which led to the betrayal of the Hungarian Jews and most rapid rate of killing in the Holocaust was described as “bloodless”.

Eugen including fantasy units is a problem across all their games though. Yeah, it’s pretty dumb.

Yeah fair enough I haven't played SD2 to see that poo poo. The normal fantasy units are silly but ultimately fine since you're trying to give armies some kind of theme or balance.

still my favourite SD1 multiplayer moment was making a tiger tank surrender with an american halftrack.

Tekopo posted:

I found my game. Needs archives. I think this was completed? Could be wrong, was a long time ago.

Amazing, thank you!

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Feb 26, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

StarCraft didn't teach me about build orders. CoH did.

lol how? Coh in general was more forgiving about build orders than starcraft.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dreylad posted:

still my favourite SD1 multiplayer moment was making a tiger tank surrender with an american halftrack.

every single German player in Steel Division overrated the Tiger or King Tiger and you could just suppress them and make them surrender or get a cheeky flank and kill them with a light tank lol

if they didn't just suicide into 17-pounders

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol the replies to VulcanHD's playthrough of the DAK campaign are something else. People with eastern euro surnames talking about how Rommel was a great commander and the story is getting too political and how wokies need to be gassed. As we all know, WW2 was a white man's war.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

Exactly. idk it was probably because battle.net wasn't the most educational place about the game. When I had CoH I had my linux nerd friend in the room explaining that if I wanted to play infantry I should get the Machine Gun upgrade. Then he went into how to work backwards from there to figure out how many resources I need and then work frontwords in a practice game to build only those things. It was just a better game to demonstrate basic RTS concepts like resource generation, mid game capture point expansions, and end game pushes. It contained all these mechanics and if you engaged with like 2 of them you could stomp a comp with ease. The game was always forgiving enough to let you NORUSH 40 minutes so you can smash tanks against each other and honestly make that decision as late as 15 minutes into the current game.

The game also taught me to be comfortable with nazis being just guys who were being dudes. Soooooooooo........

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah regarding the last point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

at least as the Germans if you didn’t get MGs out asap you were hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tankbuster posted:

yeah regarding the last point.

lmao completely apart from the Nazi apologia how do you write those sentences with a straight face