Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
:suicide: some pubbies were legitimately just trying to argue that a 2xERPPC summoner is one of the best mechs in the game played by "the best players in the world".
I think it's time to take a break from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rysithusiku posted:

:suicide: some pubbies were legitimately just trying to argue that a 2xERPPC summoner is one of the best mechs in the game played by "the best players in the world".

Nipple-PPC Summoners are, as I understand, supposed to be good due to the absurd refire rate they get due to quirks. They seem more annoying than anything else, personally. 2 PPCs as the sole armament of a 70 or so ton mech seems pretty drat anemic.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Maybe it IS the best mech in the game, if it is played by the best players in the world.
For everyone who isnt, though, its garbage.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Whats wrong with the 5 srm 6 one? looks great on paper

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Zebulon posted:

Nipple-PPC Summoners are, as I understand, supposed to be good due to the absurd refire rate they get due to quirks. They seem more annoying than anything else, personally. 2 PPCs as the sole armament of a 70 or so ton mech seems pretty drat anemic.

I'm actually going to defend this build, because I've used it to good effect. After I got the Loyalty Summoners, I couldn't figure out what to do with them. Then I happened upon this idea on YouTube, then tweaked it a little.

SMN-M(L)

With the Range 5 and Cooldown 5 modules for the Clan ERPPCs, it fires fast enough that even with staggering one PPC at a time you can overwhelm your heatsinks pretty quickly even on normal maps (ie not Caustic or Terra). I'm not going to argue that it's a super pro build, but it's actually pretty effective, considering the stupid splash damage mechanic the PPCs have. Plus the mounts let you hillhump super effectively. I've had a lot of really good matches in it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Just run the ppc gargoyle and poo poo all over everyone if you want to do something like that. The gargoyle can get away with a lot of retarded builds and do ridiculously well because it has stupid quirks and enough tonnage to either pack heat sinks or ammo for your guns.

Two LBX2s and 2 flamers is my favorite stupid gargoyle build. It's really, really bad on paper, but in games you can very easily dish out 600+ damage very consistently with it. It has a stupidly long range that shakes enemy mechs while you're fighting them, so they can't actually shoot back at you with lasers or gauss, you accelerate at a really dumb speed for your size so you can wiggle back and forth at that range, and when someone does finally close on you your LBX2s don't generate any heat so you can flame them for 12+ seconds before you even have to worry at all about overheating. The gargoyle is also one of the few assault mechs that is fast enough to run completely around an overheated target to shoot them in the back.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 14, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Whats wrong with the 5 srm 6 one? looks great on paper

The arms are fragile and fall off, and they're so low slung they have a bad tendency to fire most of the missiles straight into the ground.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

If you're going to be using one of the flying around jump jet mechs you want most of your weapons in your arms, and you want to force fights where it's your arm weapons vs. the enemy mech's arm weapons. Summoners get poo poo all for their arms and they are also huge so they snap off like twigs and take all your guns with them. If you're not using your jump jets at every waking moment you may as well run a gargoyle which has super good quirks and is an actually functional mech compared to the summoner.

The vindicator is a good example of a mech where you load down all the arms and never touch the ground while fighting the enemy. It's also why the Saint Ives Blue is so bad, most of its hard points are in the torso and head, so it can't take advantage of its jump jets to force arm weapon vs. arm weapon fights.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Skoll posted:

Thanks for Centurion Ops, goons. poo poo was fun.

CentOps ruled. I now know that I need to invest in a XL Engine for my Cent everything. You guys were freaking motoring.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

XL engine centurions are suicide machines, because the centurion relies heavily on torso twisting and sacrificing your shield side to keep you alive for a longer time, but if you outfit the entire team with them then they can roll in on people with such large amounts of firepower that it doesn't really matter anymore that they are that much more fragile. Going max engine on the D is hilarious because that thing can outrun some lights with the biggest engine.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Commoners posted:

The vindicator is a good example of a mech where you load down all the arms and never touch the ground while fighting the enemy. It's also why the Saint Ives Blue is so bad, most of its hard points are in the torso and head, so it can't take advantage of its jump jets to force arm weapon vs. arm weapon fights.

The vindicator is very quickly becoming my favorite bad mech. It spreads damage very well, to the point my usual match with them results in having zero armor left anywhere but maybe a rear torso. Great quirks too.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

XL engine centurions are suicide machines, because the centurion relies heavily on torso twisting and sacrificing your shield side to keep you alive for a longer time, but if you outfit the entire team with them then they can roll in on people with such large amounts of firepower that it doesn't really matter anymore that they are that much more fragile. Going max engine on the D is hilarious because that thing can outrun some lights with the biggest engine.

I didn't die to a single side torso kill last night actually. Chalk it down to experience or the Cent just being godly.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rysithusiku posted:

the summoner has been a bad mech so long that this reaction is understandable, but this build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=189&l=d7c871b29bf95daecc8fe825161de17f0c45fff5

gets 30% velocity, 10% heat, and 15% cooldown on ERPPCs, which are both mounted at about cockpit height, and suddenly all those locked jump jets on the summoner let you poptart for days

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Skoll posted:

I didn't die to a single side torso kill last night actually. Chalk it down to experience or the Cent just being godly.

Or to the other side sending one mech at a time.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pattonesque posted:

the summoner has been a bad mech so long that this reaction is understandable, but this build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=189&l=d7c871b29bf95daecc8fe825161de17f0c45fff5

gets 30% velocity, 10% heat, and 15% cooldown on ERPPCs, which are both mounted at about cockpit height, and suddenly all those locked jump jets on the summoner let you poptart for days

If you like that try the TDR-9S. No jump jets, but even taller hardpoints, crazy better quirks (25% cooldown 20% heat), superior IS ERPPCs, and enough spare tonnage to run either some backup MLs or a third, nearly-as-tall ERPPC for burst fire (I lean towards the latter). A much underrated sniper IMO.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

If you like that try the TDR-9S. No jump jets, but even taller hardpoints, crazy better quirks (25% cooldown 20% heat), superior IS ERPPCs, and enough spare tonnage to run either some backup MLs or a third, nearly-as-tall ERPPC for burst fire (I lean towards the latter). A much underrated sniper IMO.

see this is the problem i keep running into with the summoner. everyone has a better build. i mean, when it really comes down to it i just remind the court that the BJ-3 has quirks that curbstomp the summoners' and can run 3 ppcs with a full deadside.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

NihilCredo posted:

that's among my favorite mechs but the lack of JJs does hold it back. you end up exposing yourself to a lot more fire instead of being able to take quick snap-shots like the summoner

Rysithusiku posted:

see this is the problem i keep running into with the summoner. everyone has a better build. i mean, when it really comes down to it i just remind the court that the BJ-3 has quirks that curbstomp the summoners' and can run 3 ppcs with a full deadside.

this is true but the summoner has the advantage of a whole lot more armor and range

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Rysithusiku posted:

The true PPC mech is the dual PPC Urbie.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Polyakov posted:

The true PPC mech is the dual PPC Urbie.

This man knows the truth.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sparq posted:

This man knows the truth.

You mean the R60? It's an alright PPC carrier, no doubt, but sniping without velocity quirks sucks balls.

More importantly, it's way, waaaaaaaaaay better with two ERLLs. You have a duration quirk, a standard engine, doubled structure quirks all over, and you twist and shield like a pro. I've done 800 damage with the drat thing, it. Just. Won't. Die. :black101:

If you want to PPC snipe you should get a Panther - yeah, yeah, I know, it's a boring & lovely mech with no versatility and crappy hardpoint locations (the opposite of the Urbie), but it's the only light with a PPC velocity quirk so gotta suck it up.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

You mean the R60? It's an alright PPC carrier, no doubt, but sniping without velocity quirks sucks balls.

More importantly, it's way, waaaaaaaaaay better with two ERLLs. You have a duration quirk, a standard engine, doubled structure quirks all over, and you twist and shield like a pro. I've done 800 damage with the drat thing, it. Just. Won't. Die. :black101:

If you want to PPC snipe you should get a Panther - yeah, yeah, I know, it's a boring & lovely mech with no versatility and crappy hardpoint locations (the opposite of the Urbie), but it's the only light with a PPC velocity quirk so gotta suck it up.

You look far less good doing it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

the last ppc panther i saw wasnt paying attention when i walked up behind it in my orion. simul-firing 4 LPLs in its back ct made it go up like 4th of july. best mech!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
i am no longer on pager duty and therefore can drink beer and can therefore drive robots

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The usual SMN double ER PPC build has a big Targeting Computer in it as well to give it a 50% velocity boost; the velocity quirks, jumpjets, and armor are the reasons the SMN does see play among some of the best players in the game. That said, if you're not able to hit virtually every shot and hit it exactly where you want it, you're much better off with a different build, or better yet, a different mech. Honestly if you take the stock ADR-Prime or NVA-A and remove dumb things like "backup weapons" and replace them with heatsinks, that'll probably serve you better. In the ADR especially you have everything the SMN has except jumpjets, but for exactly half the tonnage.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
something i did not expect:

mechwarriors on the whole are rather cross about donald trump and his recent success in the usa elections

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

The usual SMN double ER PPC build has a big Targeting Computer in it as well to give it a 50% velocity boost; the velocity quirks, jumpjets, and armor are the reasons the SMN does see play among some of the best players in the game. That said, if you're not able to hit virtually every shot and hit it exactly where you want it, you're much better off with a different build, or better yet, a different mech. Honestly if you take the stock ADR-Prime or NVA-A and remove dumb things like "backup weapons" and replace them with heatsinks, that'll probably serve you better. In the ADR especially you have everything the SMN has except jumpjets, but for exactly half the tonnage.

Theres one viper with 50% er-ppc velocity as a set bonus that can be run with a tc4.
Yes, its only 1 ppc but its pretty much click to damage.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Polyakov posted:

You look far less good doing it.

This is great. :coolsmiley:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I see a lot of hackusations thrown around in this thread and on mumble; if you want to know what it actually looks like, here's a player from EmP who got caught cheating and is now banned for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zZo43Ixkk&t=1m33s

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

I see a lot of hackusations thrown around in this thread and on mumble; if you want to know what it actually looks like, here's a player from EmP who got caught cheating and is now banned for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zZo43Ixkk&t=1m33s

It's almost as if we universally called EmP Team Helios every time we saw them for a reason.

Only like two people throw about hacking accusations every single time, and they rightfully get told to shut up gently caress up, but there are a couple teams that without a shadow of a doubt everyone can tell is up to some fuckery.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

lol that's hilarious

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the next (first) light mech pack is the Urbie II-C. That would be the Best Mech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I need a new mech.
IS most likely.
Preferrably not assault or light.

Opinions on Wolverines?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I need a new mech.
IS most likely.
Preferrably not assault or light.

Opinions on Wolverines?

Warhammer
Thunderbolt
Cataphract
Black Knight
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Centurion
Crab

All these chassis have excellent build choices available.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also the Marauder is pretty decent too. Just remember to go full zombie.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I purposely left the Marauder off that list. It's a fragile POS now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

I purposely left the Marauder off that list. It's a fragile POS now.

The resizening strikes again :smith:

(or did it lose all its quirks?)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Griffin is way more fragile now too but you can still put 4x SRM6s on target with it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Warhammer
Thunderbolt
Cataphract
Black Knight
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Centurion
Crab

All these chassis have excellent build choices available.

Of that list i do not currently own Thunderbolts and Black Knights.
Both are pretty much laser spam, right?
If you had to pick one, considering those i already have, would you go Knight or Bolt?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Knights are better, Thuds are more versatile. Since its you, Yoloman, I'd just get a Dragon so you have a mech to whine about when you lose all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Omg you just critted my feelings.

• Locked thread